Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 15:27   #1861
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Does it vanish after 90 KMPH?
Which gear does this appear? 2,3,4,5,6? Does it appear in all gears @ 90KMPH? Is yours an AT or MT?
@ What RPM? Is it prominent in the front or rear?
This appears at speeds over 90 km/hr in all gears at any RPM. Mine is the 1.8 TSi A/T. It isn't specific for the front or the rear, the whole car wobbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Artem did get only alignment checked out? I hope you also got wheel balancing checked. What you are describing is typical outcome of imbalanced wheel(s) .
Sudev, yes I had only the wheel alignment checked. I had a doubt wrt to the wheel balancing. Do alloy wheels need wheel balancing? From what I have read so far they do require it at times and the Weights have to be of the same alloy as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sudev is spot on, seems to be imbalanced wheels.

Another long shot could be damaged alloy(s). Have you hit any speed-breaker or fallen into a pothole at speed recently?
Yes I have been through some bad/ rather pretty bad roads, but have done so at very minimal speeds to avoid damage to the Alloys/ Wheels/ Under Chassis of the car.

Is it a wise decision to have the tyres changed all together? The stock tyres aren't exactly great anyway! But having done only 6700 Kms and having them changed sounds a bit ridiculous.
Old 21st July 2015, 01:43   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Your worries will be sorted by wheel balancing. Had same issue with my car too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 01:50   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
This appears at speeds over 90 km/hr in all gears at any RPM. Mine is the 1.8 TSi A/T. It isn't specific for the front or the rear, the whole car wobbles.
Okay, Calm down. Do exactly as I say.

- Go to a competent wheel balancing guy, who has a big shop and brilliant wheel balancing machine.

- Ask him to set the balancing machine to balance on both sides of the alloy. You should have weights on the extreme outer edges (Behind the spokes surface for the outside part)

- Donot remove the old weights and check if the balancing is right. If the machine asks for more weights to be added, remove all old weights and rotate the wheel again and then balancing weights added as asked. Also when the wheel is rotating, check if any of the rims are out of round by visual inspection.

- Repeat the same exercise for all 5 wheels, yes rear wheels too, you ask why? Out of balance rear wheels will cause flood vibration at higher speeds.

- Take care on highway and check when all this is done. If the balancing machine is calibrated properly and the guys who have done the balancing know to do their job, you should be running with a perfectly balanced car now.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 06:47   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Okay, Calm down. Do exactly as I say.

- Go to a competent wheel balancing guy, who has a big shop and brilliant wheel balancing machine.

- Ask him to set the balancing machine to balance on both sides of the alloy. You should have weights on the extreme outer edges (Behind the spokes surface for the outside part)

- Donot remove the old weights and check if the balancing is right. If the machine asks for more weights to be added, remove all old weights and rotate the wheel again and then balancing weights added as asked. Also when the wheel is rotating, check if any of the rims are out of round by visual inspection.

- Repeat the same exercise for all 5 wheels, yes rear wheels too, you ask why? Out of balance rear wheels will cause flood vibration at higher speeds.

- Take care on highway and check when all this is done. If the balancing machine is calibrated properly and the guys who have done the balancing know to do their job, you should be running with a perfectly balanced car now.
Humyum, thank you ! I will have the same checked.

Had a doubt regarding the weights that would be placed on the wheel, if at all. These are supposed to be alloys as well right? And also where exactly do they place these weights, on the outboard side or the inboard side of the Alloy? Because I haven't really observed/ notice any car that has alloys, having any weights on them.
Artem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 07:30   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Alloy wheels have sticker based weights. They can be place inside the rim. That's why you do not see them.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 09:06   #1866
BHPian

Quote:

Sudev, yes I had only the wheel alignment checked. I had a doubt wrt to the wheel balancing. Do alloy wheels need wheel balancing? From what I have read so far they do require it at times and the Weights have to be of the same alloy as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes I have been through some bad/ rather pretty bad roads, but have done so at very minimal speeds to avoid damage to the Alloys/ Wheels/ Under Chassis of the car.

Is it a wise decision to have the tyres changed all together? The stock tyres aren't exactly great anyway! But having done only 6700 Kms and having them changed sounds a bit ridiculous.
Yes, alloys need wheel balancing... try that and it should work - I thought you did both. Always try to do both wheel balancing and alignment together every 7.5K KM's. Not wise changing the tyres after 6.7K KM's - change their useful life.
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 09:51   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Humyum, thank you ! I will have the same checked.

Had a doubt regarding the weights that would be placed on the wheel, if at all. These are supposed to be alloys as well right? And also where exactly do they place these weights, on the outboard side or the inboard side of the Alloy? Because I haven't really observed/ notice any car that has alloys, having any weights on them.
You are welcome. Sticker weights, they are placed inside the alloys and hence they are not seen. Get the balancing done and report back what the result turns out to be.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:15   #1868
BHPian

Guys, thank you very much for all your valuable inputs!Unfortunately I had to fly out of the country to attend to some work! I shall have the Wheels checked once I return and shall revert back with the results.

Thank you again
Old 23rd July 2015, 02:10   #1869
BHPian

Hello everyone, after months of research and test drives and reading this thread over and over, I have finally decided to go for a skoda octavia 1.4. I can't afford anything over this so didn't think of the legendary 1.8, and since my running costs are less a petrol makes sense. I frankly loved the way it drove too and compared to the competition, its definitely worth the price difference.

I went ahead and have booked a white zeal, and ive gotten a massive deal, including zero dep insurance, extended warranty, zeal upgrade for free, no handling charges and an insurance discount of 8k after 50% NCB.

The catch is its already driven 148kms. which is definitely on the higher side and now im worrying if its worth going for this sweetened deal at all. I really need some pro advice here and am fretting even before delivery. In all honesty, I feel its the test car I got which was also a white zeal and 1.4 isn't available easily. and that car was brand new and had about 35kms on it, they said it wasn't a test car but they were going to deliver it to a new customer, which itself is shady, but now I think that customer is me.

Please help, is it really that big a deal? im getting close to a 65k discount including everything! is it worth it? thank you in advance!
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:36   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hello everyone, after months of research and test drives and reading this thread over and over, I have finally decided to go for a skoda octavia 1.4. I can't afford anything over this so didn't think of the legendary 1.8, and since my running costs are less a petrol makes sense. I frankly loved the way it drove too and compared to the competition, its definitely worth the price difference.

I went ahead and have booked a white zeal, and ive gotten a massive deal, including zero dep insurance, extended warranty, zeal upgrade for free, no handling charges and an insurance discount of 8k after 50% NCB.

The catch is its already driven 148kms. which is definitely on the higher side and now im worrying if its worth going for this sweetened deal at all. I really need some pro advice here and am fretting even before delivery. In all honesty, I feel its the test car I got which was also a white zeal and 1.4 isn't available easily. and that car was brand new and had about 35kms on it, they said it wasn't a test car but they were going to deliver it to a new customer, which itself is shady, but now I think that customer is me.

Please help, is it really that big a deal? im getting close to a 65k discount including everything! is it worth it? thank you in advance!
148 kms is acceptable and I don't think it could have been a test car. It might have been adhoc test driven though. Check the VIN for date of manufacture, and any wear and tear on the tyres. Moreover, check if the odo was tampered. if everything is clean and within 2-3 months of manufacture, I think there is no harm going for it. Good luck!
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:05   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
148 kms is acceptable and I don't think it could have been a test car. It might have been adhoc test driven though.
Thank you for the useful info there! I've gone ahead and cancelled this booking. Another dealer is offering the same terms for the same spec car and <50kms on odo. Will go for this now! Cheers
Old 6th August 2015, 23:43   #1872
BHPian

Hi,

Looks like price of 1.8TSI has crossed 25 lacs in Bangalore.

I went to dealer near my house and was told that there are no discount offers on Octavia (any variant). He mentioned that the waiting time for 1.8 has now reduced to maximum of 2 months.

Did anyone manage to get any discount on 1.8TSI this year?

I have attached price list that I received today.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodajulypl.jpg

Regards.
Old 7th August 2015, 01:10   #1873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Looks like price of 1.8TSI has crossed 25 lacs in Bangalore.

I have attached price list that I received today.
Attachment 1400566

Regards.
The price has crossed 25 lakhs not because of a big price increase. What has happened is ex-showroom has crossed 20 lakhs by 2,000 rupees. Because of this 2,000 rupees, the road tax in Karnataka increases to next slab which is around 2% more. This means for a car more than 20 lakhs, the road tax will be 40,000 more.

The dealers should have thought about this and absorbed the 2K to show a lower ex showroom.

The VW dealer was doing that with the Vento a Jetta when they were close to 10 and 20 lakhs respectively. Now they are much more so he is not able to absorb it.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 09:21   #1874
BHPian

Like @Vid6639 says, this was how it was in March as well when I got my car. I managed to get a discount of 2000 or so on the ex-showroom price and that got the overall cost down by around 20k or so due to the change in tax slab for 20L+ cars. They did this on special request after multiple calls since the car was a December manufacture according to the VIN (although assembled in feb. '15 in India) but I was pushing for a delivery before the end of the financial year to avail depreciation benefits. So overall the dep benefits + the 20k discount was a good offer.

I had to pay a small bribe of around 2000 or so to the RTO to make them overlook this, since they apparently have the approved ex-showroom prices with them. I was OK with that, since it merely adjusts against the 2k discount the showroom was supposedly giving but the overall cost comes down by a nice 20k.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:08   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Did anyone manage to get any discount on 1.8TSI this year?

Regards.
I am negotiating with a dealer in Bombay for a 1.8tsi and by using a contact with the owner of the dealership i have been offered a 20k cash discount plus another 10k worth of regular accessories, they have also agreed to match the insurance quote that i have received from outside which is a difference of approximately 25k, as well as match the rate of interest on the loan that my bank offered me directly. Delivery they have promised within 2 weeks.

However even without using the contact when i went to them earlier they had confirmed a delivery period of less than 30 days and were ready to match the rate of interest of my bank as well as offered i think a 2% discount on the loan amount if i get the car financed through them, even though i did not haggle too much i did feel that there was some scope of negotiation. Although matching the insurance quote is something that they had initially completely refused saying that the insurance is bundled with extended warranty so they cannot reduce that price.

Now tomorrow I am going to renegotiate and try and push for some more discounts and finalize. So I am guessing you can try and push for some deal and quicker delivery for sure.

Regards,
VVB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks