Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:51   #1906
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

My car has done 5000 kms in 5 months and every km has been a pleasure. No rattles or niggles thankfully. I have a 2500kms or so run planned this month. Is it possible for the oil to run low before the first inspection next month? If so, what is the recommended oil I should get that I can stow in the car in case of emergencies? Also, where can I get it? Please advice.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 09:31   #1907
BHPian

My car has done close to 5000 Kms in 1 year (yes, I know) and apart from the TPMS warning light that has come up a couple of times, especially after a long drive, haven't had any major problems. There is a squeaking sort of a noise that comes from the ORVMs sometimes but it's nothing major and I don't see the need to get that fixed. As for the Sunroof, no clatter from it. I don't use the sunroof too much myself so maybe that is why there isn't a problem.

So far, I have nothing to complain about but I have planned a few long trips over the coming months. Here's hoping this trouble free experience continues.
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 05:17   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi Kapil, tried ordering on this website but just cant figure out the payment system, does one need to have a VAT number to register on GoPay? Also, I have family in france that I can ship this to and they can bring it here next month, would you recommend shipping it to france or getting it directly here? my order is a measly 69$ compared to your >400 but dont want to pay duty!

thanks
I ordered a steering wheel from Skodadop website and I checked out with debit card and paid in Russian Ruble thought that was strange. I did not have to enter VAT details. On cars equipment website I couldn't checkout without VAT details and hence used skodadop.

Hope I ordered the right steering wheel. Do let me know

Here's a Link - http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/...lym-shvom.html

Meanwhile my 1.8 Tsi DSG is at the workshop for its first check up along with some minor (expensive) accident repair. Its been about a week since I left it there.
I have complained to the SA about the Sunroof rattle and most importantly DSG clatter/clucking when downshifts take place and engine is at lower RPM. Especially third to second and sometimes in manual mode second to first.
The feel of the gear box has changed drastically since the initial days.
Earlier it did not shift to D1 now sometimes it does. Maybe its adopted to the Manual mode style of driving.

Just 6000 kms covered and I am already dreading the days when my Fabia spent months at the workshop.

I will be dropping my Fabia for a clutch replacement and major gear box repair after the Octavia is ready for delivery. I am waiting on the insurance surveyor to approve the repair and process the cashless transaction.

I have realised that reliability issues will continue to exist with Skoda as its more or less a test mule for better VW brands. After reading Adi's story with his 1.8 Tsi DSG I wish I stuck to a safer more reliable brand.
Whoever decides to purchase a Skoda if you really have to please stick with the entry level base variants and be safe. Service advisors do not have much experience with high end DSG and other high end electronics in the top end models and seldom do they have one visiting them, which means less hands-on experience.

Mine has always been a love hate with Skoda seven years going strong
Old 16th September 2015, 08:36   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
I ordered a steering wheel from Skodadop website and I checked out with debit card and paid in Russian Ruble thought that was strange. I did not have to enter VAT details. On cars equipment website I couldn't checkout without VAT details and hence used skodadop.

I emailed them when I faced the VAT problem, and turned out I didn't select the right payment mode. I ordered from them on the 4th of September and got everything in by 12th! The products are all genuine and top notch!
I didn't order the steering wheel but have seen others order from them and you shouldn't worry!
Old 16th September 2015, 10:30   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post

Here's a Link - http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/...lym-shvom.html
That's the same steering I ordered from skodadop. Received it within 10 days. The part looks genuine, with immaculate stitching and finish and works like a charm.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:33   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
That's the same steering I ordered from skodadop. Received it within 10 days. The part looks genuine, with immaculate stitching and finish and works like a charm.
Did you fix the steering does everything work like the original steering

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope I receive it without any customs hassle.

Meanwhile my test mule sits at the workshop simply because the insurance paper work for cashless transaction took longer than usual.

When I told the SA that my Hyundai went for similar repairs and was in and out of the workshop in four days flat he says "Saar! what Saaaar you cant compare Hyundai with Skoda, we take minimum 30 - 40 days for minor repairs, yours is the first to take only ten days" The actual repair was half a days work.
Since I have no choice and its a holiday today I shall wait till tomorrow and hopefully pick up my car without any new problems (usually goes in for one problem and comes out with new problems that never existed). Thats Skoda for me at least.
Old 18th September 2015, 00:08   #1912
BHPian

Hi guys I need some help.

I have booked the anniversary edition 1.8tsi and I was given a quote of 90k for insurance and another 17k for drive assure by my dealer. So I bargained with them and got them to match the insurance quote that I had received from outside which was almost half the cost quoted by the dealer at about 55k for a zero depreciation policy. The dealer had agreed to match the insurance quote and include all the terms of insurance as well as provided by the agent which includes zero depreciation bumper to bumper protection, loss of key, ncb protection, etc. So basically I do not even have to purchase drive assure separately from them and the normal insurance that they give me will be zero depreciation and include all the terms.

However upon reading up about drive assure on the skoda website I read about the 'Drive Assure Elite' which mentions that it covers alloy wheels and gear box damage from water,etc as well. Is it worth paying extra for the drive assure elite or should i just go for the zero depreciation policy being offered at the same price as I am getting from outside?
Old 18th September 2015, 02:54   #1913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
However upon reading up about drive assure on the skoda website I read about the 'Drive Assure Elite' which mentions that it covers alloy wheels and gear box damage from water,etc as well. Is it worth paying extra for the drive assure elite or should i just go for the zero depreciation policy being offered at the same price as I am getting from outside?
I would suggest going for the Drive Assure Elite. I had opted for this for my Jetta, and during a minor fender bender incident a few weeks back, the front right alloy got a deep scratch. They replaced this under insurance without questions. Otherwise, the alloys would have cost me 25K.

Note: I do not know had I not opted for drive assure elite, if I would have ended up paying the full 25K or only a part of 25K.
Old 18th September 2015, 08:07   #1914
BHPian

Quote:

Does this quote also include return to invoice, as well as engine protection against flood damage.

Drive assurance elite is provided by Bajaj allianz I think. Tell them to give you a better quote for drive assurance elite. I have been quoted 76k for insurance + drive assurance elite. This is after I got a quote from outside.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:20   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would suggest going for the Drive Assure Elite. I had opted for this for my Jetta, and during a minor fender bender incident a few weeks back, the front right alloy got a deep scratch. They replaced this under insurance without questions. Otherwise, the alloys would have cost me 25K.

Note: I do not know had I not opted for drive assure elite, if I would have ended up paying the full 25K or only a part of 25K.
Ok great the cover for alloy damage is something that wants me to consider it. You went for Drive Assure or Assure Elite? I ask because I was only offered drive assure at about 17k and i got to know about the drive assure elite only through the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Does this quote also include return to invoice, as well as engine protection against flood damage.

Drive assurance elite is provided by Bajaj allianz I think. Tell them to give you a better quote for drive assurance elite. I have been quoted 76k for insurance + drive assurance elite. This is after I got a quote from outside.

The quote from the insurance agent does not include return to invoice, or engine protection against flood damage. Can you confirm if this 76k includes drive assure or drive assure elite.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:35   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Ok great the cover for alloy damage is something that wants me to consider it. You went for Drive Assure or Assure Elite? I ask because I was only offered drive assure at about 17k and i got to know about the drive assure elite only through the website.

The quote from the insurance agent does not include return to invoice, or engine protection against flood damage. Can you confirm if this 76k includes drive assure or drive assure elite.
This is drive assure elite. Includes engine protection and return to invoice.
hemanthisgreat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 18:53   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
This is drive assure elite. Includes engine protection and return to invoice.
Ok great thanks that makes sense. I am thinking I dont want to take any chances with Skoda and I should go in for the best insurance possible even if it costs more although they are allowing me to get my own insurance.
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:14   #1918
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 facelift for Octavia (rendering):

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/09/2...adlamps-195208
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2017skodaoctaviarenderingwithcshapedtaillightsbytobiashornof1024x768.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2017skodaoctaviarenderingwithfourheadlampsbytobiashornof1024x768.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2015, 06:12   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
To all the Octavia owners, have the noise rattles on the Sunroof and OVRM been resolved? From what I understand, this has been an earlier issue and no longer exists. Please confirm.
Hi Cedric,

Well I had the rattles from the Sunroof fixed in the First Free Check up, they used some sealant and it worked. However the rattling sound is back again. I use the sunroof almost all the time I drive the car, that is keep the whole thing open. Of course I am cautious over bump, potholes etc when the roof is completely open.

The noise from the ORVM's is still persistent, I informed the Skoda Workshop here in Pune about the same. All they did was lube it a bit but the sound never went. Do any of you guys still face the same problem? Does Skoda replace the ORVM's under warranty?

Guys, need some information, a ridiculous question but nevertheless, what air/ nitrogen pressure do you all maintain in the Ovatvia 1.8 TSi's tyres? The same as recommended on the Petrol Cap? It seems a little ridiculous to pump up the tyres to 40+ PSI as mentioned on the cap, keeping the load factor in mind of course. Could you all please advise on the same.

Also, I managed to damage the front bumper a bit, got a nice big scratch on it . Any idea if skoda covers this under warranty/ extended warranty? As I have read above I am not quite sure if I have taken up the Skoda Elite/ Assure Package. Do you have to pay an additional amount for this? I have the extended warranty for the car thou. Would appreciate if someone could please address this issue as well.
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:06   #1920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Also, I managed to damage the front bumper a bit, got a nice big scratch on it . Any idea if skoda covers this under warranty/ extended warranty? As I have read above I am not quite sure if I have taken up the Skoda Elite/ Assure Package. Do you have to pay an additional amount for this? I have the extended warranty for the car thou. Would appreciate if someone could please address this issue as well.
This is not a warranty/extended warranty issue, but an insurance issue. If the damage to the bumper is just a scratch, it should be just a paint job. If this is a big dent, then it may involve replacement of the bumper. First check what is the cost of repair.

Then you could either claim insurance or pay yourself depending on whether you have NCB on your insurance. If you claim insurance, you will lose the NCB and the premium will increase next year. Compare the cost of repair and the increase in premium. If the cost of repair is less than the rise in premium, then you should pay from your pocket. If the cost exceeds the premium increase then you should claim insurance. If you have to claim insurance, it is better to act immediately.

How much you will have to pay depends on the insurance cover you have taken. If you have bumper to bumper cover, then except for a small mandatory amount (maybe 2000), insurance should cover for the repairs. Not sure how much you will have to pay if it is a standard policy. Other experts may be able to comment on this.

Post pictures of the damage so that you can get better suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks