Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 07:40   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Seeing the very high rates of the Skoda, not able to digest, but i was waiting for this from the long time. I want to buy the Skoda.
It is exactly your kind of enthusiasts and loyalists that SKODA is trying to cash-in on in the initial stages.

Don't think from your heart and think from your wallet/mind.

I can empathize with your situation.
Old 9th October 2013, 09:33   #182
Team-BHP Support

I think the fears of extended warranty and high service costs can be put to rest. Just saw this on the website:

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/octavia/Service-Plan

Pricing of the plans remains to be seen.

edit: This is only a service package. Looks like warranty still remains for 2 years / unlimited kms :(

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th October 2013 at 10:45.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 09:59   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think the fears of extended warranty and high service costs can be put to rest. Just saw this on the website:

Thanks Vid for sharing this information. on the face of it good move from Skoda and something which everyone hoped for. Although i found the coverage a little strange, for example brake pads/discs are covered if you opt for 4 years but not 5 years. Same for transmission fluid. Failing to understand the reason But maybe the pricing will provide the clue. Hope those who have booked can update with the pricing details
Old 9th October 2013, 10:10   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

What is their problem in putting up state-wise prices for the service plan? Why refer to the nearest dealer? But good signs nevertheless (assuming pricing is not atrocious and there is no usual Skoda crap like insurance must be taken from dealer,etc), market is forcing them to address the shoddy service...

BTW, went through the review and few points (about the car, not the review, review is very good) I find amusing:
1. Rear seat now spacious due to higher wheelbase but seat back still upright!
2. No organ type A-pedal! I love it on my TSi Laura and in fact there is one ergonomics issue that the brake pedal is higher up than A pedal so I have to lift my foot to switch between the two which sort of takes away some of the fun (it may be for safety that both A and B are not pressed together, but still...) But now it's completely gone. And regarding resting the right foot (say during Cruise Control), there is no issue with the organ type as there is a HUGE dead pedal on the right (in fact bigger than the left dead pedal), so organ type was a lovely thing and is now gone!
3. Looks - I think Laura looks way better. This family look epidemic is spoiling things.
4. DSG reluctant to shift to 1st even in manual mode? Did you ask the Skoda guys if this is a bug or feature? And if DSG keeps slipping the clutch in 2nd, does Skoda offer "internal clutch plates" replacement as part of the service? Or they will force the customer to replace the entire DSG?
5. Price - Absolutely B.S. Some members have been defending such prices citing exchange rates and what not, but it's like customers are covering up for the manufacturer. Look at the battery - they still import batteries from Vatra after being in the Indian market for 13 years. They can't have an OEM deal signed with anyone (Exide/Amaron/Tata Green) in 13 years???
6. AC: I am not sure Shimla is a good place to test the AC. And when I bought my Laura, they told me the face-lifted one has bigger compressor so I should not worry, but after 4 hot summers, I can say that they were faking. The AC is below par (though it never failed so that is something they may have addressed with the FL Laura). But the question is - they can't learn to use a powerful compressor as required by the tropical conditions in 13 BIG years??? I think they just don't care. They are making merry bringing components from CZ as they are designed for EU, assembling them in Aurangabad and minting money.

Good car continues to be let down by ignorant and unethical management...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 9th October 2013 at 10:28.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 10:13   #185
BHPian

Isn't a service plan different from extended warranty?

Service plan in my opinion refers to covering basic and necessary expenditures one concurs during a recommended service while warranty necessitates the company to replace any manufacturer-related part failure.
himanshu_j is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 10:40   #186
BHPian

Quote:

Vid6639 - thanks for sharing this. After going through the detail, I am of the opinion that this service plan does not address the real issues owners generally face.

Skoda care basic plan covers only periodic service items i.e. engine oil, oil / pollen / air / fuel filter, spark plugs, brake and transmission fluid, washing and service labor. There could be a little cost advantage of taking this plan by paying upfront but in general the pricing of the periodic service items is not the issue owners are worried about. The issue owners face is when a mechnical or electrical componant fails, outside the warranty period and is priced high. This plan does not provide that cover which is what was needed (at a price of course).

Skoda care complete in addition to above only covers brake pads, discs and wiper blades. No additional warranty / coverage for any of the parts except mentioned above.

So my take, these plans are brilliant if regular servicing items + brake pads / discs + wipers were the concerns of Skoda owners. If not, I see the owners still exposed to the risk they were earlier and not much has changed with this.

What is needed is a comprehensive service package (like BMW) which can take care of everything else except for tyres and accidental damage upto a period / km's. This would come at a price, and I am conscious of that but is what would make a difference to an informed buyers like we are.

My views only please.
Old 9th October 2013, 10:41   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Thanks Vid for sharing this information. on the face of it good move from Skoda and something which everyone hoped for. Although i found the coverage a little strange, for example brake pads/discs are covered if you opt for 4 years but not 5 years. Same for transmission fluid. Failing to understand the reason But maybe the pricing will provide the clue. Hope those who have booked can update with the pricing details
Both packages are for 5 years. There is no 4 year package. You get a year basic package or the complete package.

What you see in the packages are what is covered every year. So the brake pads are covered for 4 years / 60,000kms but not for the fifth year.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:10   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Both packages are for 5 years. There is no 4 year package. You get a year basic package or the complete package.

What you see in the packages are what is covered every year. So the brake pads are covered for 4 years / 60,000kms but not for the fifth year.
Hi Vid

i am not sure your understanding is entirely correct. let me quote from the website

"Benefits and Features:
Up-front one-time fixed cost of service and maintenance for the SKODA Octavia
100% protection from increase in parts or labour prices
Fully transparent plans that cover engine oil, replacement parts and labour charges as well
Two flexible plans to choose from – SKODA Care Basic covers periodic inspections and service, while SKODA Care Complete also covers certain wear and tear components like brake pads, brake discs and wipers.
Choose your own time period - from 1 year (15,000 kms) right up to 5 years (75,000 kms)."

Please look at the highlighted part, it mentions you can choose your own time period from 1 year to 5 years and not 1 year or 5 years. I understand this as you can choose what suits you either 1 year, 2 year, 3 year , 4 year or 5 year.

I could be wrong but from what is written this is what i gather

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 9th October 2013 at 11:12.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:30   #189
BHPian

Great Review , but the big question is whether skoda has placed the price card right
Old 9th October 2013, 11:51   #190
Senior - BHPian

What a catch 22 this is!! - there seem to be enough people willing to make a booking , but Skoda says its not available and does not let them book , which results in lower bookings hence the car is not produced?

I dont see any reason for a bare minimum stock to have been produced and made available for sale from day 1 , run a few batches on the production line , keep a few hundred cars available which can then be sold over the next few weeks post launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Just talked to a SA at Skoda, the 1.8 TSI will arrive after one-one and a half months I can't understand why! they say that TSI is not being produced at all as there are few bookings. Any one else here with TSI waiting woes?
Old 9th October 2013, 12:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Isn't a service plan different from extended warranty?

Service plan in my opinion refers to covering basic and necessary expenditures one concurs during a recommended service while warranty necessitates the company to replace any manufacturer-related part failure.
Viddy,

Can we please get some clarity on the same ? It is like CHEVY service plan.

I don't see any mention of warranty on the usual suspects, AC, DSG.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:40   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I don't see any mention of warranty on the usual suspects, AC, DSG.
That is exactly my question: if Skoda believes they have sorted out the problems with the DQ200 gear box why not cover it?

Even the "Care Complete" 4 year package (the most comprehensive of all the packages on offer) covers mostly brake parts. No clutch, flywheel, timing belt, etc. All these parts can be pretty expensive if my experiences with my vRS are anything to go by.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...utobahn-9.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tobahn-11.html

In addition, getting a test drive of the 1.8tsi is not easy. How does Skoda expect to sell tis car?

Last edited by navin : 9th October 2013 at 12:45.
navin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 13:38   #193

Quote:

edit: This is only a service package. Looks like warranty still remains for 2 years / unlimited kms :(
Looking at all this, it is apparent that Skoda is trying to play it's cards smart.

First, they give the car an enormous pre-launch hype. They keep the rumors about the price floating and also have the MD hint at the car being placed at a "luxury sedan" standing during the expo.

They mark a brilliant 1.8TSI variant as their USP and gather a huge fan base of enthusiastic drivers.

On the D-day, they focus their release largely on the diesels and release the petrol on a limited scale and at extravagant prices to cash in on the early fan base.

They delay the delivery of the 1.8TSI variant in an attempt give it a "premium" feel among the rest.

They keep mum and make no promises on the extended warranty and eventually try to woo the skeptical customers with this bare-bones service package.

At this rate, I am sure to expect Skoda to drive one more potent stallion from its stable off to the guillotine. Things are not going to work for them unless they make concrete efforts to market their cars ethically and proactively and connect with the sentiments of the prospective customers.

Hasn't the time come for the 'smart' managers of Skoda to realize they are catering to a smarter customer base?
srikanth.hv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 13:54   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Haven't asked about the extended warranty yet, but will do so today, i hope they are offering, i had lots of problems in the Laura in the post warranty period and thankfully had the extended warranty in place, i had to replace the AC unit twice in two years in the Laura.
My car is going through the same AC pains at the moment. I agree - extended warranty is a must before pulling the trigger on the Octavia
Old 9th October 2013, 14:10   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
If you like the car and can afford the lease, why not? The residual value of 50% seems high, though. Residual value is usually about 20% of the price of the vehicle. Which company is this lease from ?
The company which is offering the lease is ALD. I just got the quote from them, it says 66000 for 3 years. The residual value from this is 49%. They always quote more for any vehicles, 20% is a dream RV or not possible.

Most Viewed