Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 01:08   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Tyre pressure, wheel balancing and alignment are the first things to check. If these are ok, try the tyres, as suggested above, swap left to right and then front to rear to see if the problem disappears.

If it was the suspension, wouldn't it be evident at lower speeds too? Just a question.
Old 18th November 2015, 11:12   #2012
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You have tried out almost every thing now, did you try swapping your tyres from front to rear? Did you check the alloys carefully for a slight bend inside out? A small bend in the alloys magnifies at high speeds.

It could be a tyre defect as well, try swapping tyres from front to rear and if the problem still persists, it is either a slightly damaged alloy or some suspension component is bent/not working properly.
Will try swapping the tyres. There is no noticeable damage on the alloys, however like you mentioned regarding a slight damage to them, shouldn't this be evident at lower speeds too? I mean say around 70-80 Km/Hr ? Why only 90 Km/hr and above?

Nevertheless will try doing what you said and revert. Thank you Coolboy007
Old 27th November 2015, 12:17   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Guys need your help. Off late I have been observing that every time I cross the speed of 90/100 km/hr on the Speedometer the car starts vibrating/wobbling, as if someone is giving it a good shake from the outside.
After having felt this I got the Wheel alignment of the car checked. The report of the same was perfectly fine as stated by the Person who carried it out.
The car has clocked about 6700 Kms on the ODO till date and the car is less than a year old. The wheels seems to be in a pretty good shape too, that is not much wear and tear(Just a visual inspection of the tyres done by me). I am still using the Stock tyres that were provided.
I fail to understand as to what is the problem, as the wobbling of the car does not happen under 90 km/hr.
Could you guys please advise on the above. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Artem
Hi

My 2 cents

I follow the below list for eliminating vibrations:-

1. Tyres (abnormal wear/cuts/bruises/chip-off/stones embeded in treads)
2. Wheel balancing/Damaged rims
3. Loosen all Suspension & Steering joints & re-tighten
4. Play in hub/damaged bearings
5. Steering & Suspension Ball joints (something as small as a boot cut will lead to a loose ball joint-usually manifested at high speeds)
6. Suspension Bushes
7. Shock Absorbers
8. Brake Pads/Discs
9. Axle Shafts
10. Engine & Gearbox Mountings

The list is pessimistic but 99% will trace the problem.

I doubt you will be able to do this at a Skoda Workshop. It will be better to find a local garage mechanic who will devote his time to ensure elimination of the problem.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:23   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Hi

My 2 cents

I follow the below list for eliminating vibrations:-

1. Tyres (abnormal wear/cuts/bruises/chip-off/stones embeded in treads)
2. Wheel balancing/Damaged rims
3. Loosen all Suspension & Steering joints & re-tighten
4. Play in hub/damaged bearings
5. Steering & Suspension Ball joints (something as small as a boot cut will lead to a loose ball joint-usually manifested at high speeds)
6. Suspension Bushes
7. Shock Absorbers
8. Brake Pads/Discs
9. Axle Shafts
10. Engine & Gearbox Mountings

The list is pessimistic but 99% will trace the problem.

I doubt you will be able to do this at a Skoda Workshop. It will be better to find a local garage mechanic who will devote his time to ensure elimination of the problem.
Hi 1.2TSI7DSG,

Thank you for the Inputs. Appreciate the help. I have booked an appointment at the Skoda Service Centre here in Pune for the coming monday. Hopefully they should resolve the problem, if not shall try the above as recommended by you.

Question to all : The car is still under warranty, if they are not able to solve the issue can anything be done? In terms of getting parts replaced or legally?

Regards,

Artem
Old 4th December 2015, 16:32   #2015
BHPian

Has anyone found a permanent solution to the sun roof rattle noise? My car has done only about 700 kms till date and the sun roof has started making an irritating sound. It is not very very noisy like you cannot hear it even if you switch on the music at a very low volume but if everything is quiet inside and driving on a rough road the noise is evident.
Old 4th December 2015, 17:51   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Has anyone found a permanent solution to the sun roof rattle noise? My car has done only about 700 kms till date and the sun roof has started making an irritating sound. It is not very very noisy like you cannot hear it even if you switch on the music at a very low volume but if everything is quiet inside and driving on a rough road the noise is evident.
My problem was solved and it seems that they have found the solution. I was told that they had realigned the sunroof and the problem has more to do with winding mechanism of the curtain. I was advised to be slow while opening and closing the curtain.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 20:03   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
My problem was solved and it seems that they have found the solution. I was told that they had realigned the sunroof and the problem has more to do with winding mechanism of the curtain. I was advised to be slow while opening and closing the curtain.

They changed 'some' part in the winding mechanism of the blind, and noise is almost not there, 90% of the time. On very very uneven surfaces, the noise comes back but its not an irritant any more. They also changed the beading which prevents the air flow between the glass and blind, which also stops constant rattling movement. After the fix, the rolling mechanism is tighter than before, as in even if I try to move it faster, it takes a bit more effort. Its a genuine official fix, so your dealer should be able to help you sort it too.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 09:50   #2018
BHPian

Looks like Skoda discontinued the Octavia Ambition diesel and Elegance models. Only the petrol and diesel Style Plus AT variants and the 1.4 TSI Ambition Manual are available now. 4 lakh difference between the two variants. That's a huge gap.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda.png

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-prices.jpg

Last edited by joethomasv : 7th December 2015 at 09:56. Reason: Added screenshots
joethomasv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:27   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Looks like Skoda discontinued the Octavia Ambition diesel and Elegance models. Only the petrol and diesel Style Plus AT variants and the 1.4 TSI Ambition Manual are available now.
Even the Yeti now has "Style" variant, no Elegance, available in 4x2 or 4x4.

So if you want to buy a MT Skoda TDI, you have to buy the Yeti. May be it is an attempt to push the Yeti, as it is an extremely poor seller.

Octavia TDI MT in Ambition trim was a good seller as far as I know, its weird why Skoda would divulge from its good variant line up.

May be it is an attempt to finish off all 2015 Octavia top end kits, in line to make space for the facelift in 2016.
Old 7th December 2015, 15:25   #2020
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe creating space for a manual TSI at around 18 lakhs? Think they sell this combo in the UK Octavia so it should be a tried and tested one.

Will there be many takers for a explosive manual turbo-petrol? :-)
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:07   #2021
BHPian

Saturday night a dzire driver did this, while my driver was behind the wheel. What options do I have to get this corrected?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image.jpeg  

Old 8th December 2015, 17:11   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Saturday night a dzire driver did this, while my driver was behind the wheel. What options do I have to get this corrected?
Don't seem to be any dents, rather just the Swift's paint has rubbed off on your body.
Best option would be to detail it and remove that paint.

Alternately, the cheaper option would be to use kerosene / diesel - diluted with water. Just be careful to not get too aggressive for fear of visible damage to the paint.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:02   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Was going through service options for the Octavia, it mentions that the spark plugs (4 nos.) will be replaced at 60,000 kms. Already running on 51,000 kms as of now, is spark plug replacement mandatory from performance point of view? They cost around INR 1800 a piece. I would get it changed if the manual recommends, but I want to understand what difference will it make because I don't feel that the car's response has reduced over 50K kms.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:21   #2024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Maybe creating space for a manual TSI at around 18 lakhs? Think they sell this combo in the UK Octavia so it should be a tried and tested one.

Not entirely implausible.

In fact, it could just be the vRS for all we know!
Old 8th December 2015, 19:39   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Well let's hope they launch the 1.8 TSI MT in the near future. I would buy immediately :-)

Most Viewed