Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 17:52   #2101
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Just got the car back from the first service at TAFE Access Service Station on Hosur Road. Pretty happy with the experience as I got the car delivered same day around 5pm. The total cost of the service was only Rs.7,050 as I got a 25% discount on all the 3 filters replaced and labour was free. They did not even mention there was a discount and I noticed why the cost was lower than fellow BHPians here only when I looked into the bill.

One of the rear brake reflectors was broken few months back and the same was replaced as well for just Rs.547 + VAT. It was claimed to be out of stock in the 6 month service and also yesterday and the cost was initially communicated to be around 2k but was pleasantly surprised by the final number, because... Skoda!

Attaching the final invoice. Overall, very happy with the cost and the quality of the job. Maybe Skoda is listening and improving after all? Happy that the next service is going to be only in March '17 and the cost of service is considerably lower than even a Hyundai i20!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20160308_161553.jpg  

Old 8th March 2016, 18:01   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Just got the car back from the first service at TAFE Access Service Station on Hosur Road. Pretty happy with the experience as I got the car delivered same day around 5pm. The total cost of the service was only Rs.7,050 as I got a 25% discount on all the 3 filters replaced and labour was free. They did not even mention there was a discount and I noticed why the cost was lower than fellow BHPians here only when I looked into the bill.

One of the rear brake reflectors was broken few months back and the same was replaced as well for just Rs.547 + VAT. It was claimed to be out of stock in the 6 month service and also yesterday and the cost was initially communicated to be around 2k but was pleasantly surprised by the final number, because... Skoda!

Attaching the final invoice. Overall, very happy with the cost and the quality of the job. Maybe Skoda is listening and improving after all? Happy that the next service is going to be only in March '17 and the cost of service is considerably lower than even a Hyundai i20!

Did you confirm the reason for the discount. Is it because of their summer camp? I was at Giriraj Motors -Ggn to get my battery replaced and did not find them passing on any discounts to customers :(
Old 8th March 2016, 19:00   #2103

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It could just be a bad battery but when you told me that all electricals worked, even the starter cranked but the engine didn't fire up, that simply could be because the engine isn't getting fuel. If the battery was indeed dead, starter won't turn at all. That's why it's worth getting checked, and if it is the case indeed, a new battery won't help. Do the nearby fuel bunks have good quality fuel? Have you had other issues with fuel earlier?
I haven't had any issues related to fuel so far and typically fill up at the same bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well when the battery in my car went bad I experienced the same issues as above which was sorted with the battery replacement... All the electricals worked and the engine didn't fire up on cranking... It was resolved by the battery change. Guess the voltage wasn't enough for the engine to fire up.
I guess my car had a similar battery issue as rugsrags. I received my car back today with a free battery replacement under warranty. It took them 4 working days, and I would have been happy if they gave it back to me sooner with a standby battery.

Like I mentioned earlier, they said the coolant was low. They said they flushed it and refilled with 2 liters of coolant and I was charged Rs.1,482 for that. They said they checked the water pump as requested by me and found no issues.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.
Old 10th March 2016, 12:42   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Did you confirm the reason for the discount. Is it because of their summer camp? I was at Giriraj Motors -Ggn to get my battery replaced and did not find them passing on any discounts to customers :(
I think it is because of the summer camp. I did find a separate invoice for summer camp with zero charge as well.
Old 11th March 2016, 08:36   #2105
BHPian

Hi guys, my 7 month 8k old car is already asking for an oil change in 28 days, the first "check up" at 7k was done away with as per the Delhi Skoda ASS, they say they have now instead started giving a free 6 month check up after every service. Any idea why an oil change should be necessary this early when the car is so new?
Old 11th March 2016, 09:44   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Hi guys, my 7 month 8k old car is already asking for an oil change in 28 days, the first "check up" at 7k was done away with as per the Delhi Skoda ASS, they say they have now instead started giving a free 6 month check up after every service. Any idea why an oil change should be necessary this early when the car is so new?
I believe that car starts giving warning based on month of manufacturing. Mine also started giving warning 1 month ahead of schedule and my running was only 7k.

I also suspect that dealers are not doing proper PDI and reseting such parameters before delivering cars to customers. Otherwise there is no reason why this warning is coming up early as both parameters - mileage and time are not met for scheduled maintenance.

Any way you should get it checked just to make sure that oil level is ok.
Old 16th March 2016, 23:00   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for writing in guys. So far, two mechatronic failures reported on the forum for the 1.8 TSI. Extended warranty is a must guys, considering the issues with the car that even come up after the 2 year warranty period. I was charged 22K for it, and it was a tie up with ICICI Lombard. All dealers have different tie ups probably but surely it is through an insurance intermediary.

Count me in as failure number 3 for the 1.8 tsi :(

My car shudders in 2nd gear before it becomes ok and changes to 3rd gear.

Twice in the last few months, the EPC light has come on with power loss and car running in emergency mode. Giriraj could not isolate the problem and it started fine at their garage.

My car is still running, have been running after Giriraj Gurgaon the past couple of months to find the root cause.

Finally, they say that it's a mechatronic failure and will get replaced.

My car is a Nov 2013 model 1.8 tsi, under EW

They were suspecting a multi-clutch problem but then yesterday told me that it's the mechatronic.

It's a real pain to get something through to the service guys though.

Whenever you ask the status, they will say something like : Skoda tech team asked for a,b,c readings, we have reverted. And this continues for quite a while. With the service guys not really knowledgable enough to tell me what is it that is faulty, it has been frustrating.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2016 at 07:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts
manu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 16:18   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
They were suspecting a multi-clutch problem but then yesterday told me that it's the mechatronic.
This is weird, to say the least. Shuddering is because of a faulty clutch. If your car's movement was not restricted, that is to say if it was drivable, how can they say its mechatronic "failure"? If the mechatronic fails, the car cannot be driven. I think there is more to this problem and you must ask them to order all three, the multi clutch, flywheel and the mechatronic for replacement.

Going by my experience, once the mechatronic was changed, the clutch went bad all of a sudden, and now the flywheel.

I think its best all of these components are changed together if there is a problem of shuddering, except if the car is still drivable then I don't see why they want to change your mechatronic rather than just giving it a software update.

And what did they tell you about the EPC light and car going in to "limp home mode"?
Old 17th March 2016, 22:35   #2109
BHPian

Shuddering when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is something present in my vehicle too since day one, this happens only under abrupt hard acceleration from stand still in D mode. What other symptoms did you face concluding to mechatronic failure ?

Quote:
Anyone called by their dealers for a complimentary campaign replacement of cabin/AC filter? It is VIN specific and not necessarily all of you out there will be called. Largely it's the 2013-2014 lot is what I understand. The dealer said it's a new type of membrane as it helps to curtail the issue of AC coil powdering/failures.
Also, last year cooling coil was changed under warranty due to compromise in its structural integrity, early symptom being outside air coming in while air re-circulation mode is turned on , being in Delhi the 'fragrant' air is whiffed easily. Good part Skoda ASS didn't trouble in the least to agree to part fault, bad I had to drive around minus functional AC for 2+ weeks in the sweltering Delhi heat. Also mine was the 3rd Octavia in which the cooling coil was replaced as per the service advisers mutterings. So there is a fault indeed, same as in the OEM batteries of initial Octavia batches.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th March 2016 at 08:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
Old 18th March 2016, 07:00   #2110
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, don't think we have a Octavia III TDI/TSI service bulletins and warranty/extended warranty replacements thread.

Can I request either of the veterans, i.e. those with the initial cars to create a separate thread or post in this one itself?

It would really help everyone especially now that the Mechatronic beast is rearing its head :-(

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th March 2016 at 07:01. Reason: Grammar
Old 18th March 2016, 08:10   #2111
BHPian

Hello,
Have posted a new thread in the Long Term Ownership section of the forum about the "shuddering issue" that has been reports a couple of times in this forum. The new Octavia is now long in the tooth and needs to move beyond the 'official review".
Old 19th March 2016, 07:27   #2112
BHPian

Hmm. I will talk to the workshop manager today regarding the multi clutch and flywheel.

They have given it all sorts of software updates, to no avail.

For the EPC light issue, the second time it came, they changed an ignition coil. That's also quite a common problem that I see being routinely reported in the EU Skoda forums.

Though do not know if it has been fixed or will return to haunt me.
Old 19th March 2016, 21:06   #2113
BANNED

Is zeal edition is sold out everywhere ? contacted few dealers in ncr they said no way to get that variant.
Old 20th March 2016, 14:39   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Is zeal edition is sold out everywhere ? contacted few dealers in ncr they said no way to get that variant.
It was a limited edition launched last March. Fingers crossed it may be launched again this year. They should really make it an option I feel.

Having said that, how is the alcantara interiors holding up after a year, for the buyers who opted for this?

Last edited by shefiu : 20th March 2016 at 14:41. Reason: punctuation
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:47   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
It was a limited edition launched last March. Fingers crossed it may be launched again this year. They should really make it an option I feel.

Having said that, how is the alcantara interiors holding up after a year, for the buyers who opted for this?
I agree absolutely, the black interiors look so much nicer. It should definitely be an option, at least on the higher end models.

The alcantara interiors have held up really well btw, and it looks just as awesome today as the day Eva first came home.

I may be biased, but I don't think there are too many Skodas out there that look better than a white 1.8tsi Octavia zeal edition - almost everything on (and in) the car is either black or white, giving off a vibe that is both elegant and sporty at the same time. I took the look further by painting my alloys black and dechroming the car (the circular Skoda badges on the nose and the rear have been retained, but the chrome letters have been removed).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks