Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2016, 10:31   #2146
Senior - BHPian

After replacing two clutch packs, the noise issue while changing from 2nd to 3rd is still there. Vehicle is safe to drive though, so have got it back. The next step is to wait for a new gearbox! It might take upto 20-25 days.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 12:00   #2147
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Wow, another gearbox failure for 1.8 TSI?

How has been their approach and attitude while handling your problems Adi?
Please do let me know.
Old 10th April 2016, 21:04   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Wow, another gearbox failure for 1.8 TSI?

How has been their approach and attitude while handling your problems Adi?

Please do let me know.

More than a gearbox failure I'll call it a workmanship failure. The car is drivable, but unreliable. Approach is decent though I am yet to hear confirmation on the gearbox allotment for my car, and how soon it would arrive.
Old 10th April 2016, 21:26   #2149

Hi,

Just wanted to know the experience of those who have been using HP 'Power' or Shell 'V Power' petrol for their 1.8tsi cars. The company states that one should use only the normal ULP but I was curious to know if there is a performance improvement by using these premium fuels.

I used to have a knocking noise when I used to fill normal ULP from Shell in my SX4 and hence had reverted to HP where I didn't have the issue.
Old 17th April 2016, 22:38   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Has anyone tried or thought of upsizing the rims to 17 inchers? I am seriously considering upsizing to 17's and in order to not void the warranty I thought I can keep the stock rims with me and since the car will go for service just once a year as my usage is very low I could swap to the stock rims and tyres before sending her for service and change back to the bigger wheels once back from service. Can anyone think of or point out any flaws in my evil/ genius plan ?
Yes I definitely thought of upsizing to either 17 or 18""rims! Like you mentioned about the usage of the car being minimal, mine is pretty much the same, hence thought of doing so. However you risk a chance of loosing the warranty on the suspension and other associated components.

There have been earlier posts on this subject too, on the same thread, do have a look, issues mainly with the DSG being calibrated to 16" rims n many more. (I don't see that as a problem, but you never know).

Hence I went ahead and got the stock alloys a Matt Black Powder Coat. For the time being I am pretty satisfied with that and don't quite want to take a chance, also when it comes to SKODA no way !! Attaching some pics of my ride for your perusal.

However if you still want to go ahead and get the upsizing done, I would definitely recommend TSW Alloys (You can find them on FB), Mumbai. Just drop in a message and they will get back to you immediately. A guy called Darshak is handling the show. They are a bit pricey, but again they are TSW
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octy2.jpg  

Artem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:51   #2151
Distinguished - BHPian

Teeny weeny face-lift from Skoda China:

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/04/s...d-china-228505.

Not sure I like it.

However the 2017 Octavia (rendering) with the twin headlights is a much bigger change with a thinner and thinner headlights like Audi.

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/09/2...adlamps-195208
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2016skodaoctaviaspyshotchina1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2016skodaoctaviaheadlampspyshotchina.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2016skodaoctaviaspiedchina.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th April 2016 at 09:53.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 14:44   #2152
BHPian

Hi folks

Now here is a quick question. Want an unbiased opinion as to what would you do in this case:

JMD Skoda has made the following quotes for on road prices:

1) INR 24,43,000/- for Octavia Ambition TDI
2) INR 25,25,000/- for Octavia Style Plus TSI

While it may be a no brainer for some, the very reason I am willing to forego all the additional features of Style Plus TSI is that I will be getting DQ250 (6-speed & the less troublesome) gearbox v/s getting the DQ200 (more troublesome 7 speed gearbox) in TSI.

But the difference is too less- only INR85K to let go off all the additional features too and TDI Style Plus is some INR27,00,000+, so out of question.

What would you end up picking if you were me? Any and all inputs much appreciated in advance.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:00   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Hi there

After hearing my story, and some others too, are you still keen on the TSI-DSG combo? I think you should bite the bullet and go for the TDI and better yet, go for the updated Jetta. I am sure it will be cheaper than the Octy Style plus TDI, and is a much better choice if you ask me.

If you want all the features and can settle for a manual transmission then go for the New Superb with the TSI in style plus trim.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 16:10   #2154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What would you end up picking if you were me? Any and all inputs much appreciated in advance.
+1 to Adi. The DQ200 is too risky in the Octavia. Go for the TDI Ambiton DSG

If you are looking for fully loaded car, then consider the Jetta 2.0tdi Highline DSG. That comes with good features like paddle shifters, bixenon headlights etc. I think there are some very good deals with 2015 end manufactured Jetta. Even if you go for the latest version, it should work much cheaper than the Octavia style plus.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 20:40   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

I am forced to agree with graaja and adi_petrolhead even though I am a 4 month-old owner of a Octavia TSI Style+.

Go for a 2015 or 2016 Jetta TDI/DSG combo for complete peace of mind. I thoroughly enjoy my TSI DSG but shudder (like judder) on hearing stories of the DQ200 failing.

Personally I plan to keep my car for 4 years and then upgrade so I'm not too concerned.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 21:01   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Can new Octavia owners confirm that their front seat belt holders are lined with felt on the outside, to avoid making an irritating rubbing sound while adjusting the seats? I just test drove the new Jetta last week, and noticed that the Jetta comes with a fine felt lining on the holder, my Octy doesn't. I still had to use silicone spray for that 😒
Old 19th April 2016, 07:35   #2157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi folks

Now here is a quick question. Want an unbiased opinion as to what would you do in this case:

JMD Skoda has made the following quotes for on road prices:

1) INR 24,43,000/- for Octavia Ambition TDI
2) INR 25,25,000/- for Octavia Style Plus TSI
Why not the Jetta Highline AT instead of the Octavia Ambition TDI? In the diesel AT space, I feel that is the best in segment.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 12:13   #2158
BHPian

Has anyone had any battery problems yet? My battery was replaced last year and again this week. The car seems to run fine all along. One day it's running, the next morning you wake up its boom. Any suggestions?
Old 19th April 2016, 13:56   #2159
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to lend my weight to Adi, Graaja and itwasntme by going for the TDI over the TSI and the Jetta over both. Why pay so much extra for the TSI when the diesel workhorses are to be had for cheaper? Better still, the Highline Jetta will be even cheaper than the Ambition TDI Octavia, which will be missing some nice bells and whistles. Definitely give the Jetta a dekko.
Old 19th April 2016, 16:54   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Teeny weeny face-lift from Skoda China:

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/04/s...d-china-228505.

Not sure I like it.
The front bumper looks exactly like that of the vRS version available here (except the chrome strip). Is this really a facelift or just a picture of the vRS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks