Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 14:49   #2266
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
No. This makes braking ineffective and is a big safety issue in emergency situations. If the driver brakes, car MUST slow down. Period. If the revs are too high for D2 then it should stay in D3 longer and slow down and shift to D2 a little late. Whatever it takes...
As Santosh mentioned, the car will not be going fast during rev matching, this revs happen during its transition from 3-2, while its actually in neutral, and slots in just in time, when it falls into 2. Remember, the lower gears we go, the faster the clutch disc spins.

Quote:
Santosh, during braking this problem happens only between D3 and D2. It's clearly a tuning issue. No jerks going from D7 through D3. In fact, I shift to "S" during urgent braking, S3 to S2 is much smoother.
D7-D3: In D7, your probably at a good speed and the revs weren't required when you switched to D3.
S3-S2: Sports mode normally run at a higher rpm than Drive mode, probably the reason you don't see the revs there.
Old 11th July 2016, 18:01   #2267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
As Santosh mentioned, the car will not be going fast during rev matching.
Mine does. I have to press the brake harder to overcome. Better and safer way to slow the GT TSI down in case of emergency is either shift into S or N.
Old 11th July 2016, 18:58   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine does. I have to press the brake harder to overcome. Better and safer way to slow the GT TSI down in case of emergency is either shift into S or N.

You mean you shift it to N while in motion? If yes, it's not recommended.
Old 11th July 2016, 19:27   #2269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You mean you shift it to N while in motion? If yes, it's not recommended.
I shift to S, but I have tried N as well and it's better than the nasty kickback that I get from D3 to D2.
Old 11th July 2016, 19:40   #2270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
2.0TDI costs LESS than the 1.8TSI. So where's the question of breaking even?
Style plus 2.0 TDI CR AT costs more than 1.6 Lakh ex show room compared to 1.8 TSI AT. Since 1.8 TSI doesn't have any manual or ambition trim ,cars has to be compared at the top of line versions hence the question of breaking even came to picture. Fact that member decided to go for 2.0 TDI AT validates the statement.

On another note I got a fuel economy of 14.5 km in my TSI, at highway with an average to mild traffic.
Old 16th July 2016, 08:28   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well my TDI has completed 38500kms as of today in the past 2 years... The mileage has been a consistent 13-14kmpl in the city and 18-20 on the highways... I have yet to take it for the 7500km periodic checkup that has been pushed for by the dealership and have overstepped it by a 1k Kms so I'm wondering whether it'll affect my warranty now...
Personally I'm absolutely satisfied by the suspension and the performance too...
Here is the best I got
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20150319_140217.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I think one of the wheel bearings on my Octy is faulty. There's a humming noise that increases with speed. Also it increases when the steering is turned to the left and reduces when it is to the right. I guess that means the right side wheel bearing is at fault. 40k kms is a little to early for wheel bearing failure. TDI has a slightly stiff suspension which provides stable and less bouncy ride at highway speeds(100+).

Wheel bearings are not covered under warranty I guess. Any one else faced any similar issue?
Same issue here, front RHS wheel humming noise, checked it at Tafe yesterday and they confirmed it as bearing issue, as usual part is not in stock, has to wait for another 4-6days. No, bearing is not under warranty as it is a wear and tear item, and it costs around 12K + 2K for labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. I have decided to go for TDI AT considering the mileage and resale value, though I will have to shell out 2 lakh more. I called a few TSI AT owners and their feedback was not good as far as the FE is concerned. But yes, if you are looking for that explosive performance, 1.8 is the right one, I am not looking for that. I want comfortable drive with good FE and a reasonable resale value.

Thanks
Sudheer Menon
Wise and good decision. It is better to avoid 1.8 TSI DSG which has issues, even if Skoda repairs it for free most of the time car will be in workshop .
Also the suspension difference is not anything that is very evident, esp in front as both TSI & TDI as same setup in front.

Last edited by B747 : 16th July 2016 at 08:35.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 10:11   #2272
BHPian

Battery went kaput yesterday, 3rd battery now installed in less than 3 yrs.
- Battery # 1 Varta, life 20 months
- Battery #2 Exide, Made in Spain, replaced free of cost by Skoda even though manual clearly states battery has 1year warranty. This battery went bad in 11months
- Battery #3 Amaron, Made in India, I have a feeling this one will last more than EU make ones
saurabh sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 12:55   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Wise and good decision. It is better to avoid 1.8 TSI DSG which has issues, even if Skoda repairs it for free most of the time car will be in workshop .
Also the suspension difference is not anything that is very evident, esp in front as both TSI & TDI as same setup in front.
I hope your words won't prove prophetic for 1.8 TSI owners. Regarding suspension difference I believe the performance is quite evident between 1.8 TSI and TDI. When the showroom guys brought the car over for test drive , they brought a TDI as they didn't have TSI for TD. My better half who doesn't have a clue about multi link and torsion beam suspension , ended up complaining how each hump and pot hole was felt through the cabin and came away disappointed with the ride. But then every car has many attributes and each individual attach varying level of importance to them.
Old 16th July 2016, 13:19   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
I hope your words won't prove prophetic for 1.8 TSI owners. Regarding suspension difference I believe the performance is quite evident between 1.8 TSI and TDI. When the showroom guys brought the car over for test drive , they brought a TDI as they didn't have TSI for TD. My better half who doesn't have a clue about multi link and torsion beam suspension , ended up complaining how each hump and pot hole was felt through the cabin and came away disappointed with the ride. But then every car has many attributes and each individual attach varying level of importance to them.
Definitely TSI 1.8 is the best money can buy under 25L, but looks like it's DSG box has some reliability issues. Now some of us may still go ahead and try luck, some may stay away as in my case I need a car which I can depend on and not other way around(running behind Skoda and service center). Due to high cost of spares , many service centres won't stock even medium moving parts, so anything happens be assured car will be in workshop for minimum 7 to 10 days or more. I faced this issue when the water pump failed and car was in workshop for 9 days, one month or more if it is DSG components is what I heard. Now its front RHS wheel bearing failed, as usual part is not in stock and I have to wait for 4-7 days, as this is not a major issue I can still use the car but definitely I hate running behind these.

Suspension ( rear multi link vs torsion) the difference is not that much felt in front, definitely difference can be felt in rear seat. Multi link provides more supple ride other side torsion beam gives bit stiff ride, that stiffness gives it slightly better stability at highway speeds.
I wish Skoda should have done TDI topend with multi link and MT like in case of Jetta it would have been much better.

Last edited by B747 : 16th July 2016 at 13:37.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 17:12   #2275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the best I got
Wow, congrats. Have never seen such a figure on my Laura TSi. First of all mine shows in l/km and there is no way to change to km/l and I like that - whenever I am coasting in-gear with right foot off the A pedal, it shows 0 (zero) which just can't be represented in km/l , secondly, TSi can't match TDi in FE, but when it comes to driving, it's in a different league all together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Battery went kaput yesterday, 3rd battery now installed in less than 3 yrs.
- Battery # 1 Varta, life 20 months
- Battery #2 Exide, Made in Spain, replaced free of cost by Skoda even though manual clearly states battery has 1year warranty. This battery went bad in 11months
- Battery #3 Amaron, Made in India, I have a feeling this one will last more than EU make ones
Interesting, the OEM Vatra on my TSI lasted a good 5.5 years, now switched to Tata Green - Made in Pune, go local
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 17:31   #2276
Team-BHP Support

/OT

Quote:
First of all mine shows in l/km and there is no way to change to km/l
Anand, you can change the unit of FE indication from l/km to km/l using VCDS. IIRC, the country has to be changed to Japan under Instruments > Long Coding.

Had changed it in a senior's Laura sometime back. Works with the midline instrument cluster (non-L&K variant i.e.) as well.

Quote:
whenever I am coasting in-gear with right foot off the A pedal, it shows 0 (zero) which just can't be represented in km/l
When you coast, it displays - - - km/l.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2016 at 17:32.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 20:32   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting, the OEM Vatra on my TSI lasted a good 5.5 years, now switched to Tata Green - Made in Pune, go local
Seems like finally Skoda learnt their lesson. Upon delivery of my 1.8 ,when I opened the bonnet and checked the battery, there sits an exide ,made in India battery. Never been more happy to see a made in India product. Hope this one lasts longer than the much maligned vatra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
/OT
Anand, you can change the unit of FE indication from l/km to km/l using VCDS. IIRC, the country has to be changed to Japan under Instruments > Long Coding.
In my car for both the long term and short term average,fuel economy is shown in liters per 100 km . Where as real time economy is shown in km per liter in vehicle data. Even though it's not much of a concern I would have preferred economy in km per liter.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 10:25   #2278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

When you coast, it displays - - - km/l.
See, that's the problem. ZERO liters/km cools my nerves, "--" won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
Seems like finally Skoda learnt their lesson. Upon delivery of my 1.8 ,when I opened the bonnet and checked the battery, there sits an exide ,made in India battery. Never been more happy to see a made in India product. Hope this one lasts longer than the much maligned vatra.
Wow finally
After being in Indian market for what 15 years now? Skoda find out the easier options to localize. It's a funny company.
Old 19th July 2016, 15:36   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the best I got
Attachment 1529384

Wow..That's a good Fuel efficiency with a good average speed too. I'v managed the maximum of 21 or so but never more than 22 especially not with those average speeds because where i see stretches where such average speeds are possible my average speed tends to hover around 85-90 and that can never get as good a FE as yours. Or maybe i'm just not as good a driver as you
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 18:41   #2280
BHPian

Hello,
Any idea what the extended warranty costs for the elegance diesel? My car will be 2 years old next month and I wanted to buy some peace of mind.
Also, my car was in my uncles name before and now it's been transferred to my name. I hope that won't cause any issues.

Cheers

Most Viewed