Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 14:03   #2356
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, a disquieting thought is that Skoda will soon replace the 1.8TSI with the 1.4 across the range like Audi's new A4 and VW's outgoing Jetta.

Reason is that Skoda EU has already discontinued the 1.8 TSI and replaced with either the 1.4 or the new 2.0. Once the 1.8 kits start to finish off, Skoda India will also be forced to introduce the 1.4 in the Octavia and keep the 2.0 for the Superb and CBU Octavia VRS.

Loads of EU fans are lamenting the loss of the 1.8 Octavia and am pretty sure the same fate will befall us in India.

Check out the UK Octavia and Superb brochures:
https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...superb2015.pdf
https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...re_octavia.pdf
I guess in Europe and UK its generally the smaller engines that are popular due to lower CO2 emission and hence some tax benefits. In India its the 1.8 TSI that does more volumes compared to the 1.4 and this could primarily be due to difference in features.

But having said that I too read about a 2.0 replacing the 1.8. I guess this will happen sometime in 2017 or 2018. The new variant with navigation still comes with the 1.8 and guess Skoda will keep selling that for at least a few months.
Old 18th September 2016, 15:29   #2357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
But having said that I too read about a 2.0 replacing the 1.8. I guess this will happen sometime in 2017 or 2018. The new variant with navigation still comes with the 1.8 and guess Skoda will keep selling that for at least a few months.
Unlikely they will replace the 1.8 with the 2.0 for the Octavia. Maybe the Superb for the 2.0 :-(
Old 18th September 2016, 15:57   #2358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unlikely they will replace the 1.8 with the 2.0 for the Octavia. Maybe the Superb for the 2.0 :-(
+1. As the Audi A4 itself gets 1.4TSi, I doubt if Octavia will get 2.0TSi once the 1.8TSi is phased out. 2.0TSi will mostly be used in Superb and Octavia VRS.

This is the time to grab 1.8TSis till kits last!!

Last edited by graaja : 18th September 2016 at 16:00.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 14:33   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1. As the Audi A4 itself gets 1.4TSi, I doubt if Octavia will get 2.0TSi once the 1.8TSi is phased out. 2.0TSi will mostly be used in Superb and Octavia VRS.

This is the time to grab 1.8TSis till kits last!!
It doesn't make Sense! If they were indeed discontinuing, Why'd they even launch a 1.8TSI Superb in the first place?
But the reports seem to suggest Otherwise.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:44   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So now that VW has stopped production of the Jetta, I am looking at the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. Called the showroom today and told that production of the Octavia has also stopped as they are updating the model with the navigation feature and production of the same will commence next month.

I have asked the sales person to give me the cost of the current model and that of the upcoming model to know what is the difference in pricing. I am sure there will be discounts on both but discounts on the outgoing model would be higher to clear stocks.

Another concerns is - has Skoda solved the mechatronic / DSG issue yet?
I've spoken to Sales Person at Tafe Access today after a Test Drive. He says Octavia With Navigation system will start Deliveries Just in time for diwali. He also Mentioned that it is Most likely going to be a Bigger Screen Version (Columbus Radio)
with Navigation/Traffic Support if Not it'll be the Amundsen System with The Same existing Screen size and Navigation/Traffic Support. Expected Price hike is still not known.

Skoda Seems to be Concentrating on their Service Department (Finally!!) . Their new 4 Year Extended Warranty/Service Package is a Big Win! No cost of Annual service except for replacement of Wear and Tear parts, Everything else is covered. 40k for such a package is a very Good Deal!
They have also Mentioned that Service costs would be waived of if there is delay of more than 48hrs over the Estimated delivery and Very Quick Availability of Spares by starting a Hub for South in Karnataka(No need to wait for parts from the plant, as Mentioned by the Sales Associate)

Seems like The Octavia will be easy to Maintain from now on
nishithrao95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:07   #2361
BHPian

I send my Octavia style plus for first service on 15th Sep. The odo was at 6200 kms. First time in my experience with Skoda for last 5 years, the car was returned in the same day that too by 3PM. The service costed approx 9100 and next day I received a call from the SA and he asked about the car and assured me that I can reach him for any issues. 2 days later got a call from service department of dealer for rating the service. BTW the itemized bill was nicely kept in a paper file. I get a feeling that they are sincerely trying to improve.

Last edited by motor_breathing : 19th September 2016 at 16:08. Reason: correction
motor_breathing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:30   #2362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I send my Octavia style plus for first service on 15th Sep. The odo was at 6200 kms. First time in my experience with Skoda for last 5 years, the car was returned in the same day that too by 3PM. The service costed approx 9100 and next day I received a call from the SA and he asked about the car and assured me that I can reach him for any issues. 2 days later got a call from service department of dealer for rating the service. BTW the itemized bill was nicely kept in a paper file. I get a feeling that they are sincerely trying to improve.
Whoa!!! I am surprised at this. After reading so many horror stories, this feels like a breath of fresh air.

I wanted to know who is responsible for maintaining the service centers. Is it Skoda or the dealer?

If it's the dealer, then I guess it's a gesture from dealer and not Skoda. Can't be 100% on this one though.
Old 19th September 2016, 16:33   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
I've spoken to Sales Person at Tafe Access today after a Test Drive. He says Octavia With Navigation system will start Deliveries Just in time for diwali. He also Mentioned that it is Most likely going to be a Bigger Screen Version (Columbus Radio)
with Navigation/Traffic Support if Not it'll be the Amundsen System with The Same existing Screen size and Navigation/Traffic Support. Expected Price hike is still not known.
That may not be correct! The updated brochure and information available on the Octavia website clearly say that the screen size for style plus remains at 6.5". My style plus (with navigation) is scheduled for delivery on 3rd October. Hoping to get the VIN in the next few days.

Rohan
Old 19th September 2016, 17:02   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
That may not be correct! The updated brochure and information available on the Octavia website clearly say that the screen size for style plus remains at 6.5". My style plus (with navigation) is scheduled for delivery on 3rd October. Hoping to get the VIN in the next few days.

Rohan
My bad. Congratulations on Your Octavia!
nishithrao95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 19:07   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
How much does it cost for an Annual Service for 1.8TSI? And also how is the Gearbox when under load during the Rush hour Traffic in Bangalore? I presume that one can't expect more than 9kmpl from a 1.8TSI in Bumper to Bumper Traffic?
Old 19th September 2016, 20:53   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally received the Extended Warranty today for my Octavia TSI. Interesting to note that they seem to have moved away from the external insurance model and brought it wholly in-house.

I went through the same in detail and noted that the Bi-Xenon headlights are not covered. Why should that be the case?

Following is an extract from the document:

Skoda Auto India Pvt Ltd.
A1/1, Five Star MIDC, Shendra, Aurangabad 431201, India

EXTENDED WARRANTY CERTIFICATE
Date of Sale of EW: 19-SEP-2016
EW End Date:
Duration: 24 (MONTHS)
Vehicle Details
Make Model VIN Number Engine Number
SKODA OCTAVIA
Registration Number Odometer Reading Vehicle Sale Date Vehicle Delivery Date
KA XX XXX

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Please read Terms and Conditions carefully to make sure they meet your personal circumstances. This agreement will come into force on the Warranty Start Date specified above and shall continue for a period as defined in the Period of Cover. Your extended warranty cover will expire when your vehicle mileage reaches 100,000 Km or on the expiry date of the extended warranty period cover, whichever occurs first.

Customer Declaration
I have understood the terms and conditions for the Skoda Auto INDIA PVT. LTD Extended Warranty Program as mentioned along with this certificate and I agree to abide by the same. I declare that to the best of my knowledge and belief the above statements and particulars are true. If these statements and particulars are written by any other person such person shall be deemed to have been my agent. I hereby agree that this declaration shall form the basis of the Contract between me and the Skoda Auto, and I am willing to accept the certificate issued as above subject to the terms, conditions and exceptions described therein. I agree with the terms and Conditions of the Program as mentioned in Annexure.

Dealer's Signature

Repair / replacement of parts under Extended Warranty is applicable only at authorised workshop of Skoda

EXTENDED WARRANTY WORDINGS

A. COVERED PARTS
Listed parts, except for those items (Events, Services and Parts) listed in section 2 (Exclusions).
1. Gasoline/Diesel Engine: All internal lubricated parts: engine block; cylinder head(s); exhaust manifold; expansion plugs; harmonic balancer; intake manifold; mounts; oil pan (excluding drain plug related failures); rotary engine rotor housing; timing belt/chain and tensioner; timing chain cover; valve cover(s); water pump; seals and gaskets within component group. Surcharged Coverage: Turbo: supercharger/turbocharger (factory installed).

2. Transmission (Automatic, Standard or Transfer Case): All internal lubricated parts within the transmission: cooler lines (metal); mounts; throttle valve cable; torque convertor; flywheel/flexplate; transmission and transfer case housing; transmission cooler; oil pan; vacuum modulator; external and internal control units; seals and gaskets.

3. Front/Rear Wheel Drive: All internal lubricated parts within the drive/transaxle assembly including: axles and axle bearings; constant velocity joints; constant velocity boots; drive axle housing; drive shaft support; differential cover; hub bearings; front hub locking assemblies; drive shaft; universal joints; four wheel drive actuator; seals and gaskets.

4. Fluids: Fluids will only be covered in conjunction with a covered repair.

5. Electrical: Alternator; alternator voltage regulator; back up light switch; distributor: bushings, gear, housing and shaft (excludes cap, rotor and spark plug wires); horns; ignition coil; oil pressure sending unit; main engine wiring harness; ignition module and main electronic control unit; Powertrain control module; starter motor, solenoid and starter drive; switches (the following electrical switches when manually or mechanically operated): brake light switch, defogger switch (excludes relay), headlight dimmer switch, headlight switch, ignition switch, mirror switch (power), turn signal switch, washer pump switch, window switches and wiper
switch; power mirror motor, washer pump motor; and wiper motor (front and rear).

6. Fuel: Fuel pump; fuel distributor; injectors: lines (metal); pressure regulator; rail; tank; fuel tank sending unit; throttle body; idle speed or automatic idle speed assemblies; warm up regulator; seals and gaskets.Surcharged Coverage: Diesel: accessory vacuum pump and injector pump.

7. Cooling System: Electric cooling fan motor: blade assembly and fan clutch; radiator; belt tensioner; heater core; thermostat; heater control valve; seals and gaskets.

8. Air Conditioning: Accumulator; blower motor; compressor: clutch, internal parts and pulley assembly; condenser; idler pulley and bearings; receiver/dryer; evaporator; orifice tube; POA valve; suction control devices; thermostatic expansion valve; high/low compressor cutoff switch; pressure cycling switch; seals and gaskets. A/C lines, A/C coil(s) (all types), dye, flushing liquids or refrigerant(s) are covered ONLY if needed in conjunction with the repair of an above listed part.

9. Brakes: Master cylinder; power brake cylinder; vacuum assist booster; hydro boost; disc brake caliper; wheel cylinders; compensating valve; brake hydraulic lines and fittings; hydraulic control unit; seals and gaskets. The following ABS parts are also covered: electronic control processor; wheel speed sensors; hydraulic pump/motor assembly; pressure modulator valve/isolation dump valve; accumulator; seals and gaskets.

10. Front Suspension: Ball joints; control arm: bearings, bushings and shafts; torsion bars, mounts and bushings; stabilizer bar, radius arm and bushings; height sensor; mode switch; spindles; McPherson struts (front only and excludes springs) and upper pivot bearing mounting assembly; wheel bearings; wheel seals; seals and gaskets.

11. Steering: All internal lubricated parts within the steering gear and power steering pump; power steering hoses and couplings; intermediate shaft and main shaft; steering gear and pump housing; pitman arm; idler arm; tie rod ends; drag link; tilt wheel mechanism; rack and pinion gear and housing; seals and gaskets.

12. High-Tech Package: Air conditioning: power module, controller and relay; antenna motor and mast (power factory installed only); burglar alarm (factory installed): relays, sensors and siren; convertible top engagement switch and motor; cruise control: module and electronic servo/transducer and amplifier; door lock actuators/solenoids (power only); head lamp door motors (only); air conditioning and heating dash control unit/temperature control programmer (excludes cathode-ray tube 'CRT' display); ignition spark control pickup sensor; instrument cluster: electronic driver information display module/power supply, gauges and speedometer head (excludes bulb and CRT display repairs); keyless entry system; level control (electronic only): sensors, limiter valves and compressor; power seat motor and transmission; sunroof motor; switches (electric): blower motor (heater-A/C) switch, burglar alarm switches (factory installed), cruise control engagement switch, door lock switches, seat switches, sunroof switch, trunk lid release switch; trunk lid release activator and motor; and window (power): gear, motor, regulator and lift tape.

B. EXCLUSIONS

1. Batteries, body and trim items, including: adhesives, convertible tops, fasteners, nuts, washers and bolts, frame, upholstery/seat frames, seat belt assembly and air bag system and parts, glass and sheet metal, paint, bright metals, sealed beams, convertible tops including fabric and frame, headlight assemblies, tail-light assemblies and CHMSL stop lamp assemblies;

2. Noises including rattles, squeaks and wind noises;

3. Water or air leaks, weather strips and repairs needed as a result of rust or corrosion;

4. Any loss or expense for adjustments, alignments, shop supplies, unauthorized diagnostic time, maintenance items, shock absorbers, strut cartridges, cellular phones, television/video equipment including game consoles, electronic transmitting devices, hazardous waste disposal, environmental fees, core charges, freight charges, fuel surcharges or replacement of any parts not specified under the Coverage provided.

5. Any equipment not installed by the manufacturer;

6. Any vehicle in excess of 3,500 kg;

7. A Breakdown caused by the failure of a non-covered part or damage to a non-covered part;

8. Any Vehicle used for towing in excess of what is recommended by the manufacturer;

9. A Breakdown caused by non-manufacturer recommended alterations to the Vehicle made before or after the Contract effective date. This includes, but is not limited to, exhaust headers, non original equipment, wheels and tires, and body or suspension lift/lowering kits, chassis modification, fuel component/system enhancements and any Vehicle that has its manufacturer's warranty voided because of Vehicle alterations; Contract Coverage may be reduced or cancelled if any of the above conditions are verified by an onsite inspection of the Vehicle.

10. Repairs and/or replacements not authorized in advance by the Administrator;

11. Vehicles not certified for sale in the [Country] at the time of manufacture and any gray-market vehicles. The Vehicle manufacturer's new vehicle limited warranty covering the Vehicle has been voided (applies only to Contracts purchased during the term of such warranty).

12. A Breakdown caused by accident, civil commotion or riot, collision or upset, earthquake, explosion, falling objects, fire, flood, fluid contamination, freezing, fuel contamination, hail, lightning, malicious mischief, oil contamination, rust or corrosion, improper repair methods, theft or larceny, vandalism, water, water contamination, windstorm, and other external forces or events;

13. A repair occurring outside of the [Country], its territories, possessions, or a claim reported after the expiration terms (time or mileage) regardless of when Breakdown occurred. Any Breakdown reported after the Contract expiration is not covered;

14. This Contract does not provide Coverage for damages for bad faith, punitive or exemplary damages, personal injury including bodily injury, property damage and attorney fees;

15. Scheduled maintenance and wear items, including but not limited to: belts, fasteners, nuts, washers and bolts, brake drums, brake cables, brake lining, brake pads and brake rotors, exhaust pipes, mufflers, resonators and clamps, catalytic converter; friction materials, valve grinding, hoses, all fluid caps, fluid reservoirs, light bulbs, L.E.D.s, illumination devices, lenses, lubricants, oil sludging, manual transmission clutch disc, stabilizer links and bushings, brackets, burnt valves, failure due to engine detonation, core charges, speakers, wheels/rims, throw out bearing, pilot bushing and clutch parts, spark plugs and wires, tires, wheels, wheel balancing, wiper arm(s) and wiper blades;

16. A Breakdown caused by negligence, misuse, improper servicing, or failure by You to perform manufacturer required or recommended maintenance services and any safety related maintenance events required by Your state or manufacturer, or a Breakdown caused by continued operation in an overheated condition or the lack of proper and necessary amounts of coolants or lubricants and thermostat failure;

17. Damage caused by failure to take reasonable precautions to prevent further damage when an apparent problem exists, (i.e. overheating);

18. Any vehicle registered and used in a commercial manner including but not limited to: delivery purposes, snow plowing (including failures related to snow plowing and any snow plow equipment or assembly), short-time rental, livery, taxi, construction, hauling heavy machinery, materials or equipment, police, emergency service, fleet vehicles driven by multiple users or a vehicle used for competitive or off road racing, removal of factory truck beds to replace with dump beds, flat beds, rack bodies, ladder rack, pipe storage assembly and tool box beds. If the Vehicle is a step van, high cube van or box body, cab & chassis or other incomplete vehicle exceeding a 3,500 Kg or has right handed steering;

19. A Breakdown of any part if, while owned by You, the odometer has been tampered
with or has been disconnected. If You have not promptly repaired a defective odometer, this limitation applies and this Contract is subject to cancellation;

20. Repair or replacement of parts needed to improve Vehicle operating performance due to wear and tear when a Breakdown has not occurred. This includes, but is not limited to, valve and ring repairs solely to improve engine compression or reduce oil consumption when a part has not broken;

21. A Breakdown that is the direct result of a mechanical or structural flaw that the manufacturer has acknowledged through any means or that the manufacturer will repair at its expense;

22. Any replacement part supplied by anyone but the manufacturer of the Vehicle, unless it is of a like kind and quality compatible with the design specifications and wear tolerances of the Vehicle's manufacturer;

23. A component or part which has not failed or resulted in a Breakdown, but which a repair facility recommends or requires that it be repaired or replaced solely based on a manufacturer's recommendation to upgrade the Vehicle;

24. Any Vehicle retrofitted with aftermarket equipment to use alternative fuels including but not limited to: LPG, CNG, methanol, ethanol or RFG;

25. A claim covered by the manufacturer's warranty or another service contract, warranty, mechanical breakdown insurance policy or repair facility warranty for repairs performed under this Contract;

26. All electric powered or hybrid fuel parts including but not limited to: electric fuel cells, regenerative braking systems or electronic memory systems.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 00:50   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
He also Mentioned that it is Most likely going to be a Bigger Screen Version (Columbus Radio)
The new prices were out on September 1st and the hike was approximately 2%. This includes the 4 year warranty and roadside assistance. Another price hike in the name of navigation is highly unlikely!

Quote:
Within a few days of purchase last month, I had a flat tyre and unfortunately the spare tyre had not been inflated right from the time of delivery. Thankfully I was at home when I noticed the puncture and reached out to Skoda roadside assistance. Being peak traffic hour, I was told it would take about 2 hours. On mentioning that I lived just about 2 kms from a Skoda showroom, I was told to also check with the dealer if some help was possible in quick time. I called up the dealer (Tafe Access) and was pleasantly surprised when in 15 minutes a mechanic came home, took the flat tire as well as the spare to the nearest puncture repair shop and got it fixed. I accompanied the mechanic in the car in which he came and just paid for the puncture repair. He then came back and fixed the tyres in place. He was also super reluctant to accept a token amount for all the help rendered.

I do feel Skoda is making a major attempt at revamping its image based on what I've read about its historical service levels. There's also a major ad campaign on most TV channels and an active Facebook page where they are talking about the new service offerings.

Quote:
How much does it cost for an Annual Service for 1.8TSI? And also how is the Gearbox when under load during the Rush hour Traffic in Bangalore? I presume that one can't expect more than 9kmpl from a 1.8TSI in Bumper to Bumper Traffic?
In the first month of driving I've been getting about 8 kmpl in the city in bumper to bumper traffic condition. Each time I've managed to stay above 60-70 kmph or higher for a few minutes, the economy has shot up to about 13 kmpl. In heavy traffic the gearbox works fine but needs some getting used to in terms of controlling the car from rushing ahead especially for someone like me who has moved to the DSG from a manual Swift.
Old 20th September 2016, 09:12   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
That may not be correct! The updated brochure and information available on the Octavia website clearly say that the screen size for style plus remains at 6.5". My style plus (with navigation) is scheduled for delivery on 3rd October. Hoping to get the VIN in the next few days. Rohan
I think the Octavia in India comes with 6.5" bolero system. When superb L&K itself is having only a 6.5" screen, any Octavia barring VRS stand no chance in getting Columbus system. At least they could have provided a sub woofer in its slot at the center of dash board.

Quote:
I moved to a DSG TSI from Laura VRS. Initially I found it too difficult to manage in inching forward bumper to bumper traffic. Especially at a railway gate near my home which was at an incline. Earlier I used to take KR puram route to office and mileage was 7.5 to 8. Now I take an alternate route and get 9 consistently. For highway trips got 12 and 13 two times.

We are having a rat menace at home. Our nano and i20 fuel pipes were torn apart by rats and had to be towed to SC. Octavia fuel pipe is also bitten. Some metallic inlay is there in the pipe, so fuel is not leaking. I have to visit the service center again to get this changed.
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 09:24   #2369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At least they could have provided a sub woofer in its slot at the center of dash board.

Octavia fuel pipe is also bitten. Some metallic inlay is there in the pipe, so fuel is not leaking. I have to visit the service center again to get this changed.
Hey M_B , you're not having good luck with the Octy! Please do not take chances with the fuel pipe issue - get it checked straight away. Am sure you are anyway having detailed & lethal plans to do things to rats!

Just a quick clarification: I think the dashboard speaker slot is for a central speaker while the actual OEM sub goes in the boot. That is what I read on briskoda. Even the addition of just the central speaker would have given it added power.

Does anyone have any idea whether the existing amp anyway has the socket for this missing speaker? If so, can we can simply procure the speaker unit and pop it into the dash? Or is this major major work?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 10:11   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Hey M_B , you're not having good luck with the Octy! Please do not take chances with the fuel pipe issue - get it checked straight away. Am sure you are anyway having detailed & lethal plans to do things to rats!
This is minor comparing to previous rat trouble I had with Laura and Civic. In Civic rat entered inside the cabin through AC duct and chewed every thing in the pipe and destroyed the rear seat. After that we were having 2 cats at home and not much trouble. But last year one cat got killed by dogs and the other one ran away and didn't return.

I think you are right. Sub is in the boot and dash board slot is for center speaker.

Most Viewed