Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 19:30   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But if it is fun factor that is the top priority, then stick to 1.8TSi. I don't think you will find any other car with this explosive engine + gearbox combo in this price bracket - even the Audi A4 now comes with a puny 1.4TSi engine.
To add to the conundrum, the current Octy will soon meet the same fate. Skoda India has retained the identical 177 bhp 1.8TSi in the Superb and will very likely 'downgrade' the Octy to the 1.4 to differentiate them. This could happen very soon along with the 2017 facelift.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:59   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Hi Rohan, I've been in a Fix to buy a new car. Was supposed to get a Jetta but cancelled the booking after hearing reports of Discontinuing the model in 2017. Now I am Looking at the Octavia . I am being offered a MY16 Skoda Octavia Style Plus 1.8TSI with a Good Corporate Discount if I go for the non navigation model.
Are there any other new features other than the navigation system?

Nope. The my17 just has the navigation and the shark fin antenna (for navigation) over the MY16. My dealer didn't have a single my16 in stock and I personally wanted to pick up a latest car- mine was made on 8 August 2016. In case you don't need navigation and the discount is good- go for the MY16.
Old 8th November 2016, 11:12   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Octavia Black Edition to launch in January 2017.

The sportier Octavia will sit between the regular model and the full-blown vRS sport version.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20161108104607_76596sko.jpg

Quote:
The Octavia Black Edition, as the name suggests, gets blacked-out components such as alloy wheels, wing mirror housings, bootlid spoiler, and a roof and grille surround to give the car a sporty appearance. The cabin also carries over the sporty theme with all-black upholstery and sports seats. In terms of equipment, the car is expected to get a few additions, but they haven't been revealed yet. Powering the car will be the same petrol and diesel engines currently available on the Octavia.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2016 at 11:13.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 21:59   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds shadily like old leftover kits from the Black limited editions they launched in the UK & EU in 2014. Upside is that these will be the pre-facelift ones, i.e. without the Merc split headlamp ones.

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th November 2016 at 22:02. Reason: Upside
Old 11th November 2016, 11:56   #2450
BHPian

I was just going through the "technical specs" on skoda india's website. I am shocked to see skoda is not offering all-round disc brakes anymore. The rear ones are now drums.
Why skoda why?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screen-shot-20161111-11.52.25-am.png  

sagpatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 15:54   #2451
BHPian

It is shocking indeed. I have a saved the specs some time back in an excel sheet. It was showing Disc brakes for rear. Looks like Skoda has changed the same. Very sad that a 25 lacs car comes with drum brakes, that too such a powerful car.
Old 11th November 2016, 16:08   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I was just going through the "technical specs" on skoda india's website. I am shocked to see skoda is not offering all-round disc brakes anymore. The rear ones are now drums.
Why skoda why?
First of all, thank you for sharing the vital information.

It was such a shocking move by Skoda.
Have they started removed rear dics from 1.8 Tsi as well?

May be pressure from parent company VW in order to empty remaining CKD kits of Jetta?

This will certainly turn the t-bhp poll results of D-segment sedan in favor of Jetta.

IMO, 2.0 Tdi without multilink suspension, rear discs is absurd.
Old 11th November 2016, 23:28   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Why skoda why?
I am pretty sure this is a goof up on the part of Skoda India while updating the specifications. Globally even those Octavia's with 1.0TSI/1.2TSI engines have discs all around. I don't see the benefit for Skoda/VW to engineer a rear drum setup for our market alone, considering the low volume sales.

Note: The semi-independent rear suspension in the 1.4TSI/2.0TDI is not an India exclusive. Multiple FWD variants of the Octavia Mk3 abroad has this setup at the rear.
Old 12th November 2016, 10:26   #2454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why skoda why?
Most likely a typo in the new brochure. They can't do such a drastic change on a car like Octavia.

Let's wait for Skoda to confirm.
Old 12th November 2016, 15:18   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Most likely a typo in the new brochure. They can't do such a drastic change on a car like Octavia.

Let's wait for Skoda to confirm.

Just a typo. Picked up mine a month back- it's a MY17- has the rear discs. That should confirm it!
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 14:53   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Why skoda why?
EDIT: It was indeed a typo, it has been now rectified. Seems Skoda is keeping an eye on our forum.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 13:01   #2457
BHPian

Ok people i am facing a curious issue with my car... was wondering if anyone else has faced this issue before.

I have a March 2014 Diesel Elegance Octavia. It just came back from its 45k kms service. Current odometer stands at around 45400kms. It was a routine service apart from front brake pads which needed changing but weren't in stock (still running on originals shoes) and the air filter which was only cleaned as it wasn't in stock either.
Day before evening i had a short trip to attend a function in the neighbouring city and left with my wife at around 6.30 in the evening. 25kms into the drive at a desolate and empty stretch connecting the main highway roads the temperature gauge suddenly shot up from 90 to the start of red line nearing 130. All the tell tale lights switched on including a red triangle with information mentioning engine overheating stop immediately. I immediately stopped and switched the car off and turned my emergency blinkers on. Kept the car with the ignition turned on wondering what to do and i could hear the radiator fans on at full speed which was a first since i haven't ever heard them so loud before.

Do remember this was a desolate stretch, it was completely dark and empty and the area is also a little notorious in terms of the law and order situation and my wife was with me. Before i could decide what to do i saw the temperature reading gradually decreasing and within 3-4 minutes it was back to around 90. I switched the engine back on and with a little effort (remember the fans were on at full blast, luckily the battery didn't drain completely) and drove slowly back and the temperature didn't go up again. Once back home i opened the bonnet and checked the coolant level and it was at its optimum level but the radiator fans were still on inspite of me having the keys in my hand. I took the car out again and the temperature was at its optimum level and even put the car in sports mode and red lined the engine a bit but it drove perfectly like before. I thought maybe there was something stuck in the line or maybe the ECU had a false reading.
Yesterday the whole day again the car performed flawlessly though it was driven locally and not too far (maybe 10-12kms)
Today i left for work and kept monitoring the temperature gauge. I noticed it is fluctuating to the point before and after 90 though most of the time it was at 90.

Have called the service centre and the service advisor was clueless as expected. He's advised me to take the car to a pressure wash cleaner and get the radiator pressure washed and if the issue happens again then he'll arrange for a flatbed tomorrow. (The service centre is in Lucknow and i'm in Kanpur which is around 80kms away) Luckily the brake pads and air filter are in stock now and the car was anyway scheduled to make a service centre visit.

Do let me know if anyone has ever faced this issue before and what could be faulty in the car. I do have extended warranty so hopefully i'm covered especially since i don't see any leakage anywhere and since i was on the highway i know i didn't hit anything either.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_5072.jpg  

Old 15th November 2016, 14:03   #2458
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

From the symptoms, there should be a problem with the temperature sensor circuit in the cooling system. It looks like though the engine temperature is normal, the sensor is wrongly reporting a higher temperature and the radiator is running continuously to bring the temperature down. Could either be a faulty temperature sensor or loose connection in the sensor wiring. Have the wiring checked for loose connections or rat bites etc. I think the service center should be able to diagnose this correctly.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 17:39   #2459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Ok people i am facing a curious issue with my car... was wondering if anyone else has faced this issue before.

the temperature gauge suddenly shot up from 90 to the start of red line nearing 130. All the tell tale lights switched on including a red triangle with information mentioning engine overheating stop immediately.
This seems to be an electrical/electronic malfunction. Either the wiring is compromised somewhere or some sensor etc is behaving erratic. Now given that there is a large number of these boys all around, it could be anywhere ànd I'm guessing it won't show up on a scan because it's an on/off phenomenon.

Maybe the logs would show some tell tale signs. Logically, if the issue was just with the cooling system related sensors, then all the other telltale lights should not have jumped into the disco dance. Then again, it could turn out to be something mundane like a loose battery connection.

The last time I came across stuff like this, it turned out to be a faulty main relay/connector. That was not a Skoda though...
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 23:58   #2460
BHPian

The update is that I got the radiator put through a good dose of compressed air. Of course I couldn't remove the radiator so just did it through the vents but I noticed that it was pretty much clogged/blocked with dust. There was so much dust in it that it was a wonder the fins held up this long with the cooling. Even after 15 minutes I could still see dust coming out with the air so I guess the service advisors hunch was correct in getting the radiator cleaned up.
Post the cleaning I didn't see the temperature gauge moving around like earlier and it has pretty much been at its optimum position through the 10kms that I drove post the cleanup. Will update status tomorrow when I drive it for a little longer to see if the issue comes up again. In which case the only option left would be the electronics/sensors and wiring as suggested by you all.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks