Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2017, 13:41   #2551
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hey Guys,

Had been itching to do this since even before i bought the car but stopped myself considering warranty issues since the general feel around about Skoda is that they can void warranty for even applying a sticker on the car . I had anyways bought the version with the very popularly troublesome DSG box which has although been absolutely trouble free for me till now (Grabbing the wood and not letting go) but I did not want to push my luck anymore. But i could not stop myself for long and the boring design of the stock puny 16 inchers with the wide gap in the wheel well that ruined the stance of the car was just irritating the s**t out of me.

So finally keeping some good faith in God and Skoda India and a lot of egging by fellow Bhpians in Bombay I took the plunge. I swapped the stock 16inch rims on my 1.4 years new 1.8 TSi Style Plus with 17inch TSW Geneva Rotary Forged rims in Matte Gunmetal paired them with 225/50 section Yokohama AdvanSports annndddd we have a monster

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-16107528_10154186759426863_3262637071169704062_o.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0565.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0579.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0581.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0562.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0534.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0538.jpg

The stance has completely changed and the wider stance with the darker shade of the rims on the black colour of the car is making it look totally Ganstaa which is the look that i wanted for it.

Regards,
VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 14:56   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
I swapped the stock 16inch rims on my 1.4 years new 1.8 TSi Style Plus with 17inch TSW Geneva Rotary Forged rims in Matte Gunmetal paired them with 225/50 section Yokohama AdvanSports
Ride looks 'sick'. You'd probably also consider getting suspension upgrade which will lower the ride by another 15mm and will complete your low-rider 'gangsta' look! If you don't mind sharing the costs and source for the rims, it'll be much appreciated.

Also, do you notice any change in the comfort by upgrading to 17's? Better, same, worse?
Old 16th January 2017, 16:35   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Ride looks 'sick'. You'd probably also consider getting suspension upgrade which will lower the ride by another 15mm and will complete your low-rider 'gangsta' look! If you don't mind sharing the costs and source for the rims, it'll be much appreciated.

Also, do you notice any change in the comfort by upgrading to 17's? Better, same, worse?
Thanks buddy. I do not intend to mess with the suspension owing to warranty issues again, I have even kept the stock rims and wheels as spare in case of any issues with warranty so for the moment lowering the ride and adding spacers, etc I am not considering. Sourced the wheels through Lalit at 4S Auto in Bombay who had these rims air shipped from the US after I placed the order with him, shall share the cost and other details on PM with you.

I still have not used the new wheels enough to ascertain but ride quality is slightly compromised as compared to before which I was expecting anyways from the upsizing but it also depends on the wheels one uses, yoko advan sports are not known to be the most comfortable wheels around. But the Octavia primarily being my weekend ride I was not very concerned about the ride quality but the road grip is so much better than the stock goodyears that the car came with.
Old 16th January 2017, 17:26   #2554

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Was the plate installed at Dealer itself? If yes, ask them why they used screws. Did they paste a sticker on the front windshield with the registration details.

If the plate was installed at a 3rd party, check with them and ask why they used screws.
No the plates were installed at Rosemerta Dwarka ( I believe they are the only people authorized to install HSRP in Delhi)

He did try to use the Snap lock but in the front, the length of the snap lock was too long (about 1.5 cm was sticking out after putting it into the front bumper No plate hole). Since I didn't want him to drill on the front bumper (couldn't make out what was behind the bumper and didn't want to damage anything) so asked him to put the normal screws it came with before.

Thats the reason I was inquiring if any Octavia owners faced a similar problem.
Old 16th January 2017, 19:00   #2555
BHPian

My 2 year service was due and I have given my car today morning. With expiry of 2 years, my company warranty will also end. However I have taken 2 years extended warranty offered by insurance company. There was nothing out of ordinary required for this service except for sun roof rattle which seem to have come back since 10 days.

I should have got my car back today. However I have been informed that before doing anything to sunroof, they have to seek permission from Skoda as Sunroof is considered high value part. So, Car has been serviced today and they have sought permission from Skoda to work on sunroof. They expect to get the permission tomorrow. Till then my car will be lying there

I hope this issue is sorted out properly as my warranty is expiring and I am not sure whether sunroof is covered under warranty offered by insurance company.
Old 16th January 2017, 19:57   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post

I hope this issue is sorted out properly as my warranty is expiring and I am not sure whether sunroof is covered under warranty offered by insurance company.
Warranty offered by insurance company? That's a first for me. Can you give me some details about the policy?
Old 16th January 2017, 20:38   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
However I have taken 2 years extended warranty offered by insurance company. There was nothing out of ordinary required for this service except for sun roof rattle which seem to have come back since 10 days.

rutvij, lot of questions:
1. What is this EW from the insurance company that you are referring to? Is this the Skoda official EW (which is entered into by Skoda Insia with a India region-wise specific insurance company) or some other bundled product sold separately by an insurer? If the former, you should be covered for sunroof.

2. In any case, what exactly are they planning to do with your sunroof? Have the diagnosed the issue as a major failure of the motor or winding mechanism etc? Usually they only spray some silicon spray and wash their hands off. What are they planning to do with your car?

Let us know as the rattling sunroof is a known issue - I am lucky so far with my 1 year old 13k run TSI DSG.
Old 16th January 2017, 20:59   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I swapped the stock 16inch rims on my 1.4 years new 1.8 TSi Style Plus with 17inch TSW Geneva Rotary Forged rims in Matte Gunmetal paired them with 225/50 section Yokohama AdvanSports annndddd we have a monster

The stance has completely changed and the wider stance with the darker shade of the rims on the black colour of the car is making it look totally Ganstaa which is the look that i wanted for it.

Regards,
VVB
VVB, stunning sight and shows how a tyre/rim upgrade can TOTALLy change the look + perception of ANY car, much less a black Octavia. Frankly, your Octy looks delectable!

I also stand around and admire my Rio Red Octy's lines but feel let down by the stock 205/55/16s. I am exploring upgrading to 225/50/16s when my tyres cross 25k (now at 13k).

Have you also fixed a diffuser kit? Wasn't able to make out clearly. If so, how much was that?!
Old 17th January 2017, 10:48   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

17inch TSW Geneva Rotary Forged rims in Matte Gunmetal paired them with 225/50 section Yokohama AdvanSports annndddd we have a monster

Regards,

VVB

Any issues that you are facing or faced with braking and abs considering the upsize to 225/50/17 creates a 3.94% increase in dia, which is more than what is generally recommended.

Personally 225/45/17 is the perfect upgrade.
Old 17th January 2017, 12:03   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
VVB, stunning sight and shows how a tyre/rim upgrade can TOTALLy change the look + perception of ANY car, much less a black Octavia. Frankly, your Octy looks delectable!

I also stand around and admire my Rio Red Octy's lines but feel let down by the stock 205/55/16s. I am exploring upgrading to 225/50/16s when my tyres cross 25k (now at 13k).

Have you also fixed a diffuser kit? Wasn't able to make out clearly. If so, how much was that?!
Thanks buddy. Yes i have installed a diffuser kit that i ordered online from skodadop.com, its not really a kit but 2 pieces in the shape of the diffuser made of plastic or abs that stick on to the already existing diffuser slots on the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Any issues that you are facing or faced with braking and abs considering the upsize to 225/50/17 creates a 3.94% increase in dia, which is more than what is generally recommended.

Personally 225/45/17 is the perfect upgrade.
Thanks Rohan. Yes I am aware that 225/45 would have been the ideal size but after a lot of discussions it was agreed that the difference is not too major. Not driven much and no major difference yet but I did notice on one instance where in ABS kicked in sooner than I would expect and also felt the torque steer kicking in more than before. Not sure it could all also be in my head right now, will update once I use the car a little more.
Old 17th January 2017, 12:25   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Warranty offered by insurance company? That's a first for me. Can you give me some details about the policy?
I have got extended warranty from ICICI Lombard. It was offered by dealer and the company must have some tie up with Skoda. Here is the link of my post when I received extended warranty.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3679446

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
rutvij, lot of questions:
1. What is this EW from the insurance company that you are referring to? Is this the Skoda official EW (which is entered into by Skoda Insia with a India region-wise specific insurance company) or some other bundled product sold separately by an insurer? If the former, you should be covered for sunroof.

2. In any case, what exactly are they planning to do with your sunroof? Have the diagnosed the issue as a major failure of the motor or winding mechanism etc? Usually they only spray some silicon spray and wash their hands off. What are they planning to do with your car?

Let us know as the rattling sunroof is a known issue - I am lucky so far with my 1 year old 13k run TSI DSG.
Rattling sound had been sorted out before and it stayed ok for about 1 and half years. I hope they are able to sort it out this time also. Unfortunately the service adviser who dealt with this is not around this time.
Old 17th January 2017, 14:50   #2562
BHPian

Anyone faced high speed high stability issues on the TSI 1.8? Mine is a 4 month old car and on Mumbai- Shirdi Highway I wasn't very comfortable pushing the car even on a straight line. The car wasn't giving my too much feedback to push it. My reference is Merc E class, which was ahead of me and even on corner I thought the car was extremely stable and planted. Don't kill me with Merc E vs Skoda comparisons but has anyone else experienced this at high speeds ? I was driving with just one more passenger and no luggage.

PS: Apologies for mentioning the speeds , but needed to get the value out of the post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th January 2017 at 16:15. Reason: Post edited. We do NOT encourage driving at dangerous speeds on public roads.
Old 17th January 2017, 15:01   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
Anyone faced high speed high stability issues on the TSI 1.8? My reference is Merc E class, which was ahead of me and even on corner I thought the car was extremely stable and planted . Don't kill me with Merc E vs Skoda comparisons but has anyone else experienced this at high speeds ? I was driving with just one more passenger and no luggage.

PS: Apologies for mentioning the speeds , but needed to get the value out of the post.

Hi,

As you rightly said, speeding and posting that on the forum is not something we all appreciate here unless you were at a German Autobahn!

As far as stability goes, no, I personally haven't faced any such dis-comfort. What was the exact problem? Was it buffeting, wind noise, vibrations on pedals, steering feel?

I once had a vibration issue above 100 kph but that was due to worn out front pads.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:06   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi,

As you rightly said, speeding and posting that on the forum is not something we all appreciate here unless you were at a German Autobahn!

As far as stability goes, no, I personally haven't faced any such dis-comfort. What was the exact problem? Was it buffeting, wind noise, vibrations on pedals, steering feel?

I once had a vibration issue above 100 kph but that was due to worn out front pads.
Thanks for your quick reply Adi. Yes steering feel, in general felt the car was floating and not very planted.
Old 17th January 2017, 15:41   #2565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir3127 View Post
Anyone faced high speed high stability issues on the TSI 1.8? Mine is a 4 month old car and on Mumbai- Shirdi Highway I wasn't very comfortable pushing the car even on a straight line. The car wasn't giving my too much feedback to push it. My reference is Merc E class, which was ahead of me and even on corner I thought the car was extremely stable and planted . Don't kill me with Merc E vs Skoda comparisons but has anyone else experienced this at high speeds ? I was driving with just one more passenger and no luggage.

Could be with tires as well. What tires are there on your car? Are they Good Year NCT5's. Generally stock tires are made of hard rubber and you may feel loss of traction at high speeds. Changing to grippy tires could give you more grip on the road and hence a more planted feeling as well.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th January 2017 at 16:16. Reason: Quoted post edited...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks