Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 22:48   #2746
Mtv
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

My Octavia came home with an ECU replacement after spending 5 long months at the workshop.

Over the last year it has had a battery failure and two major breakdowns (gearbox and ECM/various pumps and filters )

I am now in two minds, whether to keep the car and push my luck , or to replace it with some boring and Japanese. I can't trust this thing anymore. I thank god each time the car starts on the first turn of the key, and when I return home at the end of the day with the car NOT on a flatbed.

Most owners don't seem to be facing any more problems after the initial customary DSG failure.

I'm looking for the forum's opinion on whether I should keep it or sell it. Didn't want to start a fresh thread just for this,
Mtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:46   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I guess VRS if priced at 30L OTR will be better proposition compared to Octy 1.8TSI (at 26L) due to more power/torque, better dynamics and most importantly gearbox which might be DQ250? and not DQ200.
The VRS will comes with either DQ350 gearbox or the all new DQ380 which will also be in the new Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Are you sure? I doubt that there is a VRS coming in the 2.0 Tdi it should be coming only in the petrol.
Well that's the plan this time to get the VRS on both petrol & diesel. Ofcourse the petrol will hit the shores first and then depending on how the market reacts, they may introduce a diesel later.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:49   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

As me and my wife get out of the showroom, I see Mahesh, instructing the car inside the showroom to be moved out. Mind out, a car parked inside the showroom was got out of the showroom. I was thinking, probably being a Sunday, they must be taking the car for washing or so.

Once the car was taken out, Mahesh walks up to me and says, sir drive this car, the TD car is a TDi and as you are buying a Tsi, I would want you to drive the Tsi rather than driving a TDi as both the cars are as different as Chalk & Cheese. Though the Tsi here is an Ambition Plus Variant, may not have all the features of Style Plus, but then at-least you will get the feel of the car.
Did you mean to say that they let you test drive a car which is not the designated TD car but some other car kept in the showroom ? Sorry If I misread your post.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:31   #2749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
My Octavia came home with an ECU replacement after spending 5 long months at the workshop.

Over the last year it has had a battery failure and two major breakdowns (gearbox and ECM/various pumps and filters )
If I were you, I would have given the car one last chance since most of the known bugbears seem to have been replaced.

Also, going by the kind of replacements you have been having, are you sure the service centre is competent enough to diagnose the real issues? It appears like they are changing whatever parts they feel are the root cause.

Also, why did they need 5 months to replace the ECU? Why replace the ECU in the first place?
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:58   #2750
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If I were you, I would have given the car one last chance since most of the known bugbears seem to have been replaced.

Also, going by the kind of replacements you have been having, are you sure the service centre is competent enough to diagnose the real issues? It appears like they are changing whatever parts they feel are the root cause.

Also, why did they need 5 months to replace the ECU? Why replace the ECU in the first place?
You're right. All the major components that could have failed have already.
But what are the chances they won't give up again?

It took them 3 months to diagnose what was wrong and another month to receive the parts. One of those parts, some pump, did not fit in the car, so another week for the new one to arrive. The service centre staff themselves were courteous and helpful. Apparently, they had technicians from another city diagnose the issue.

The ECM has a whole was replaced. That's why they say the car broke down. This is not the first time a 1.8 skoda has faced this problem on the forum it seems.
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:45   #2751
BANNED

Quote:
But what are the chances they won't give up again? .
Because Skodas have been having fewer and fewer issues off late. Something right is happening somewhere.

Quote:
It took them 3 months to diagnose what was wrong and another month to receive the parts. One of those parts, some pump, did not fit in the car, so another week for the new one to arrive. The service centre staff themselves were courteous and helpful. Apparently, they had technicians from another city diagnose the issue..
This is what I was hinting at. It shows the incompetency of the ASC there. With such morons, one cannot expect a reliable car. Why dont you look for a good FNG? I m sure CCU has a few.

Quote:
The ECM has a whole was replaced. That's why they say the car broke down. This is not the first time a 1.8 skoda has faced this problem on the forum it seems.
While these failures exist, they aren't as regular as they seem to be. TBHP is a very, very small sample of all the Skodas plying in the country.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:22   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
Right now, with huge discounts going on the car, the current set-up makes ultimate sense. I agree from power perspective its always more the merrier, however even with 180 HP on tap, this one is a hoot to drive.
What are the discounts like? On the 1.8 Style Plus? Unfortunately i haven't got a good enough offer from Tafe in Bangalore. All he is offering a Corporate Discount of 25k plus some other minor discounts
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:16   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Did you mean to say that they let you test drive a car which is not the designated TD car but some other car kept in the showroom ? Sorry If I misread your post.

So basically, showroom has cars for display, which are not allotted to any customer, but are been invoiced in the showroom's name. So the SA was kind enough to get the display car out for TD as it was petrol one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
What are the discounts like? On the 1.8 Style Plus? Unfortunately i haven't got a good enough offer from Tafe in Bangalore. All he is offering a Corporate Discount of 25k plus some other minor discounts
I got Insurance Free, 30K of Cash Discount and 50K of corporate discount. Meanwhile, there are no 2017 manufactured cars anywhere, you can easily get better discounts.
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:27   #2754
BANNED

Quote:

I got Insurance Free, 30K of Cash Discount and 50K of corporate discount. Meanwhile, there are no 2017 manufactured cars anywhere, you can easily get better discounts.
There are 2017 manufactured car's available at autobahn skoda (andheri), just came back from showroom and they are ready to give cash discount worth 30k and car will be delivered by 2nd week of april.
Old 24th March 2017, 09:50   #2755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsun23 View Post
There are 2017 manufactured car's available at autobahn skoda (andheri), just came back from showroom and they are ready to give cash discount worth 30k and car will be delivered by 2nd week of april.
Ohh lovely, that's a great news, meanwhile, how offers are they giving on 2016 manufactured cars? As i said, I got roughly 2 lac rupee worth of discounts on the car. So though on paper the invoicing was for 26.xx, I actually paid 24.xx. Considering the way European cars depreciate, I was happy with 2 lacs being saved upfront.
Old 24th March 2017, 22:03   #2756
BANNED

Quote:
Ohh lovely, that's a great news, meanwhile, how offers are they giving on 2016 manufactured cars? As i said, I got roughly 2 lac rupee worth of discounts on the car. So though on paper the invoicing was for 26.xx, I actually paid 24.xx. Considering the way European cars depreciate, I was happy with 2 lacs being saved upfront.
On 2016 they are giving close to 1.30 lacs off as a discount, would be glad to know from which dealer you purchased your car and the name of the salesman as i'm looking to book the car in span of week or two.

2017 which i earlier quoted are only available as onyx edition and regular car's are only available in blue and black colours
Old 25th March 2017, 17:31   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsun23 View Post
On 2016 they are giving close to 1.30 lacs off as a discount, would be glad to know from which dealer you purchased your car and the name of the salesman as i'm looking to book the car in span of week or two.

2017 which i earlier quoted are only available as onyx edition and regular car's are only available in blue and black colours

Hey, I had booked the car through JMD Skoda Thane outlet. I did call up andheri dealer that you are interacting with, but they were not ready to give the offer that JMD guys gave.

If you call up the dealer, call up and ask from Amruta Nikam, she was the one who was my sales exe.
Old 29th March 2017, 22:35   #2758
BHPian

Hello!

Needed some thoughts and guidance please... looking to book an Octavia today/tomorrow to avail the year ending offers.

Now, the deal is such that the 2017 Octavia TSI AT Style Plus Onyx Edition (top end) is working out to be 24 lacs OTR (down from 25.25 lacs) and the 2017 Octavia TDI AT Style Plus is working out to be 23.8 lacs (down from 27 lacs).

I am happy going with both, but want to know which one will be a sensible bet with respect to:

1. Resale - I am told Skoda resale is pretty low anyway... I don't plan to keep the car more than 3 years and wouldn't like very poor resale value. Which one is a better bet Diesel or Petrol? 2016 or 2017?
2. Reliability
3. Fun(?) - I found them both to be good drives (I already own an A3 TSI so do have fun with the 1.8 TSI engine).

Both offers stand good only till 31st March. All help appreciated.
Old 31st March 2017, 00:50   #2759
BHPian

i have just bought Race Blue 1.8 Tsi Style Plus for 26 lakhs a week back. The car is fun to drive and love the way car handles , suspension is better than TSi. Better dont worry about resale now. Have fun driving. Iam a fan of manual, iam starting to love the DSG. AC is better than what i expected, better than German cars.

Iam now searching for a sun shade for the front windows with space for ORVM's.
Old 1st April 2017, 22:52   #2760

Just got back from Hyderbad to Bangalore, noticed the luggage was very hot only the side of the exhaust. Didn't notice this while I drove to Hyderabad. Any idea? Has anyone else experienced this? The car has done only 1800kms!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks