Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 15:48   #2896
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

First Service Update

So the first service of the car was done on Saturday i.e. 5 August 2017 at 14500 km completed in exact 10 months. I had no niggles to report except for a rattle sound from between the seat and parcel trey. I have the 4 year service pack so did not have to be pay for consumables or labor charges. Skoda in any event does not charge for labor for the first service- its free. The total bill was for about Rs.10,000 out of which Rs.2000 was for balancing and alignment that i wanted to get done from Skoda this time around. The car drives like new after the service and i have absolutely no issues to report with the car mechanically.

However, the issue I have raised with Skoda is with respect to the software update for the Infotainment system. If i check my VIN on the Skoda global site, it shows a update is available, but can be done only by the dealer. Skoda in India has issued no such instruction to the dealer. The system version information also states a update is available. The dealer has taken a snapshot of that and shared with Skoda. I will update here about the outcome.

Overall, i am as satisfied with the Skoda experience as i have been for the last 7 years. I hope it stays that way as i look to add the Kodiaq to the garage.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:40   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please check if it is part no. 4 or 7 from this link.
It's neither 4 or 7. It's the one at opposite end. Attached pic for reference
Attached Images

Old 10th August 2017, 12:05   #2898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
It's neither 4 or 7. It's the one at opposite end. Attached pic for reference
Well then you'll have to replace the visor completely or use some glue to fix the broken one. The exploded view of the assembly doesn't show the broken part as a separate part.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 22:48   #2899
a2k
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Octavia vRS spotted in Mumbai

I am contemplating booking the Octavia TSI petrol in Style variant. Half the members in the family want the grey and the other half want white. Any suggestions on color advantages / disadvantages from team bhp members is greatly appreciated.
Old 11th August 2017, 09:27   #2900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k View Post
I am contemplating booking the Octavia TSI petrol in Style variant. Half the members in the family want the grey and the other half want white. Any suggestions on color advantages / disadvantages from team bhp members is greatly appreciated.

Unless it's Silver, all other colours are hard to maintain. If you have good parking, I would suggest black. The Octavia looks best in black.
If black and silver are ruled out, let the family select the colour as you have selected the car. Everyone will be happy.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 09:35   #2901
BHPian

I took a test drive of the diesel facelifted Octavia DSG yesterday and I felt that the engine is a lot noisier than the Tucson that I tried a few days ago especially in the lower gears. I drove both the cars in a spirited fashion and I am wondering if my perception is right.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 11th August 2017 at 09:37.
Old 11th August 2017, 09:45   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the 2.0 TDI is noisy when cold. It takes a good amount of time to get warm and then the noise reduces a little but it is not completely dead silent like the petrol counterparts. Overall dampening must be better and engine in the Tucson is a little farther than it is in the Octy. Hence the noise you hear is natural. Also the tyres on the Octy are noisy too. Others shall confirm the fact that every one of my known friends who have bought the Octy is not running stock tyres.
Old 11th August 2017, 13:29   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Definitely the 2.0 TDI is noisy when cold. It takes a good amount of time to get warm and then the noise reduces a little but it is not completely dead silent like the petrol counterparts. Overall dampening must be better and engine in the Tucson is a little farther than it is in the Octy. Hence the noise you hear is natural. Also the tyres on the Octy are noisy too. Others shall confirm the fact that every one of my known friends who have bought the Octy is not running stock tyres.
Thanks Adi. I think I was expecting a bit too much as I drove Octavia for the first time. The noise persisted even after the engine warmed up. Tire noise wasn't that concerning for me as things felt much better once the car attained 60-70 kmph speed.
Old 11th August 2017, 13:35   #2904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
First Service Update

So the first service of the car was done on Saturday i.e. 5 August 2017 at 14500 km completed in exact 10 months. I had no niggles to report except for a rattle sound from between the seat and parcel trey. I have the 4 year service pack so did not have to be pay for consumables or labor charges. Skoda in any event does not charge for labor for the first service- its free. The total bill was for about Rs.10,000 out of which Rs.2000 was for balancing and alignment that i wanted to get done from Skoda this time around. The car drives like new after the service and i have absolutely no issues to report with the car mechanically.

However, the issue I have raised with Skoda is with respect to the software update for the Infotainment system. If i check my VIN on the Skoda global site, it shows a update is available, but can be done only by the dealer. Skoda in India has issued no such instruction to the dealer. The system version information also states a update is available. The dealer has taken a snapshot of that and shared with Skoda. I will update here about the outcome.

Overall, i am as satisfied with the Skoda experience as i have been for the last 7 years. I hope it stays that way as i look to add the Kodiaq to the garage.

Rohan
Hi Rohan,

Great to know that your Octi is doing absolutely fine and Skoda A.S.S has been good.
I agree, I have also seen the improvement in the Skoda dealer we have in Pune and have been able to get all the things sorted out for my Superb MT TSI.

I was very tempted to check out the new superb and this 4 years maintenance cost really got me thinking of giving in, however currently sorting out some other priorities till I start thinking back for a new car.

Was wondering as to why you had to still pay a bill to the tune of Rs 10,000 as you had the maintenance package or am I missing something?
Old 11th August 2017, 13:39   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Hi Rohan,
Was wondering as to why you had to still pay a bill to the tune of Rs 10,000 as you had the maintenance package or am I missing something?
Ah, should have been more clear.

I did not have to pay anything apart from the Rs.2000 for alignment and balancing. The total bill (including the 2k) was for 10k- which is very very reasonable for a once year service for something that cost 2.5 million rupees now!

Sorry about the confusion again!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 10:43   #2906
BHPian

Hi guys,
Posting here after quite a while. So the right side jog dial on the steering wheel of my 2014 Octavia has cracked and is stuck in its place, rendering its function useless. Now it has become really difficult to work with this broken part as this is quite essential in scrolling through different menus.
On searching through the forum, I came across many such cases being reported by the fellow owners. Can you please help me with the solution for the same?
I tried contacting the nearest dealership which is 2hrs away from my place and they are saying it is very difficult to cover this under extended warranty. The rough estimate he has quoted me for the same is ~22k which I believe is a lot for a mere plastic part.
Is there any other alternative?
Old 20th August 2017, 00:43   #2907
BHPian

Hey guys faced a peculiar yet dreaded situation today. While starting the car suddenly all the warnings popped up and the dreaded wordings gearbox failure popped up followed by failure of all other things like the tpms warning, afs warning etc etc and the car died soon after and refused to start on trying to crank again. Switched off the car and waited for a minute tried restating with the same issues. Tried it the third time and it started and all the warnings went away. It drove perfectly fine post that.
Has anyone else faced this issue? Mine is a diesel auto with 58600kms done and due for its 60k service soon.
The crazy part is that I just returned last night after driving it for a good 5-600kms trip doing a constant high speed on the Yamuna and then post it on to the lucknow expressway. Thank god it didn't die on me in the middle of nowhere atleast but now I'm worried about its reliability. Will there be a log of the errors stored which the dealership could look at or will they just reset and erase the logs? What should I do? Advice will be well appreciated!!
Old 20th August 2017, 08:43   #2908
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Will there be a log of the errors stored which the dealership could look at or will they just reset and erase the logs? What should I do? Advice will be well appreciated!!
There will be a log of all the errors but since they went away on their own, I doubt the dealership will be able to troubleshoot them. Also, this looks like a trip in the ECU leading to them coming on temporarily and then going away, so many components cannot fail together at the same time.

Coming to what mostly happened, I think it is a small electrical fault somewhere in the ignition circuit which led to wrong signals being to the ECU. Have this replicated and checked without fail. In case you are not able to replicate it, look up similar faults online and do a deep dive.

Are you sure there are no rats in your parking/car/engine bay?
Old 20th August 2017, 10:01   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Check this link - ETKA.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-753419100.png

It is part number 11.

They have given the part number in the list below. Choose one depending on what you have right now in your car and do a search.

Cars Equipment is having one for 100 Euros (+ shipping). Pretty sure eBay and other websites may have it for a slightly cheaper price.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 15:33   #2910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi guys,
Posting here after quite a while. So the right side jog dial on the steering wheel of my 2014 Octavia has cracked and is stuck in its place, rendering its function useless. Now it has become really difficult to work with this broken part as this is quite essential in scrolling through different menus.
On searching through the forum, I came across many such cases being reported by the fellow owners. Can you please help me with the solution for the same?
I tried contacting the nearest dealership which is 2hrs away from my place and they are saying it is very difficult to cover this under extended warranty. The rough estimate he has quoted me for the same is ~22k which I believe is a lot for a mere plastic part.
I got mine changed under normal warranty even after the SA insisted it will never get approved by Skoda as it was a wear and tear item etc. Tell them to upload details and try at least.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed