Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 11:02   #3121
BHPian

Is the ABS system in the Octavia connected in series with the rest of the electronics or something? Why else would the reverse parking sensors refuse to work when one of the rear sensors failed? The DSG was acting funny too. It refused to crawl when the brake is released.

Now, I'm getting an intermittent ABS and ESC error. Same thing is happening with the DSG. Also, the power steering assist seems to be affected too. When the error is there, the steering is slightly harder.
Old 8th September 2018, 11:15   #3122
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Sounds like an intermittent fuse issue in the electronics. Get it checked ASAP.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 12:28   #3123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Is the ABS system in the Octavia connected in series with the rest of the electronics or something? Why else would the reverse parking sensors refuse to work when one of the rear sensors failed? The DSG was acting funny too. It refused to crawl when the brake is released.

Now, I'm getting an intermittent ABS and ESC error. Same thing is happening with the DSG. Also, the power steering assist seems to be affected too. When the error is there, the steering is slightly harder.
If you are getting these kind of simultaneous errors try getting the battery changed first before getting anything else changed. When the battery gets faulty the lower voltage generates all sorts of errors in other systems. I have seen these errors in both my Laura and Yeti when the battery failed.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 12:42   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I shot up a mail to the people at Skoda regarding this issue and they asked me to get my car scanned at the service Centre. I did rightly so and the next day I shot up another mail informing them about the same. I got a reply the same day that they have approved to change the assembly free of cost under goodwill warranty.

The whole process was smooth with Skoda for the second time now (last one being the steering jog dial issue) and I hope this kind of service continues to being offered. I'm yet to take out time and send the car to the service station though which is still 2hrs away from my place.
Hi Shreyak,
I have the same issue with one side DRL conked off. The Service centre refused to cover it under extended warranty. Can you share the email address you contacted regarding the issue.
My extended warranty expired 1 month back, but i want to try my luck and check Skoda's 'goodwill'

Cheers
Old 8th September 2018, 13:11   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Can you share the email address you contacted regarding the issue.
Here are a couple of contacts that I have with me:

amit.dhingra@skoda-auto.co.in, abhijeet.gopal@skoda-auto.co.in, ashutosh.dixit@skoda-auto.co.in, Bernhard.Maier@skoda-auto.cz, sks.service@skoda-auto.cz,
subir.singh@skoda-auto.co.in,
anoop.gupta@skoda-auto.co.in
Old 8th September 2018, 16:14   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Sounds like an intermittent fuse issue in the electronics. Get it checked ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you are getting these kind of simultaneous errors try getting the battery changed first before getting anything else changed.

Thanks guys. The smart fellows at Manikandan Skoda had forgotten to tighten the battery terminal after the last service/repair . I'm glad I checked it. A workshop visit would've wasted at-least a week.

The error seems to have gone for now. The battery is only 6 months old. I have a longish drive tomorrow so let's see if it's fixed for good.
Old 8th September 2018, 20:15   #3127
BHPian

derek
Hi guys recently have shifted from Mumbai to Chennai. My first service is due for the car in a months
time. have done only about 7k kms.
Can know which are the reliable service guys in Chennai please. Im new to the city. Thanks!
Old 8th September 2018, 20:57   #3128
sud
BHPian

I faced a weird issue today. I was driving at around 20 to 25 kmph and the gear selection was in D2. Then there was a shudder and I could sense that the gear is disengaged and there is no response from throttle. Since I was in slow speed and less traffic situation I could move to left side to stop. Then I moved the lever to neutral and put back to drive then it was again back to normal.

This behaviour seems very dangerous. Is it an indication of the DSG failure.

I will take it to service center once I am back in Bangalore.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2018 at 22:00. Reason: day > DSG.
Old 8th September 2018, 21:01   #3129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I faced a weird issue today. I was driving at around 20 to 25 kmph and the gear selection was in D2. Then there was a shudder and I could sense that the gear is disengaged and there is no response from throttle. Since I was in slow speed and less traffic situation I could move to left side to stop. Then I moved the lever to neutral and put back to drive then it was again back to normal.

This behaviour seems very dangerous. Is it an indication of the DSG failure.

This might be the signs of a DSG failiure. Please take the car to the service centre ASAP before the DSG fails completely and you are unable to engage gears.

It might also be a problem with one of the ABS sensors, where the DSG might be getting conflicting data from one or more of them.

As much as I don't like saying this though, the former is a far stronger possibility than the latter.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th September 2018 at 22:01. Reason: Quoted post edited.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 21:13   #3130
BHPian

Quote:

This behaviour seems very dangerous. Is it an indication of the day failure.

Is your octavia a petrol? If yes then i am pretty sure that's a DSG issue. because my superb DSG failure started in a similar way and in 3 weeks i had a complete failure. Please get it checked ASAP.
I don't understand why doesn't Skoda solve this issue once and for all. We have owned 3 Skoda cars (2 diesel & 1 petrol) and only petrol the had this issue. Both diesel's have run for almost 1.5lac+ each and never a DSG issue and the petrol went kaput in just 40k and was sold at 63k after a second DSG failure.
vap2151 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 21:47   #3131
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Is your octavia a petrol? If yes then i am pretty sure that's a DSG issue. because my superb DSG failure started in a similar way and in 3 weeks i had a complete failure. Please get it checked ASAP.
I don't understand why doesn't Skoda solve this issue once and for all. We have owned 3 Skoda cars (2 diesel & 1 petrol) and only petrol the had this issue. Both diesel's have run for almost 1.5lac+ each and never a DSG issue and the petrol went kaput in just 40k and was sold at 63k after a second DSG failure.
Yes mine is 1.8 TSI which has ran about 63.5K kms.

I will be reaching Bangalore tomorrow. Have to drive down 300 kms to Bangalore tomorrow. Monday or Tuesday will be taking it to service centre.

Last edited by sud : 8th September 2018 at 21:50.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:43   #3132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes mine is 1.8 TSI which has ran about 63.5K kms.

I will be reaching Bangalore tomorrow. Have to drive down 300 kms to Bangalore tomorrow. Monday or Tuesday will be taking it to service centre.
Did you reach? Let us know what happened!

My Octy is now at 37k km and I can hear a mild 'puk' sound on some DSG up-shifts (seems to be restricted to 4-5 & 5-6) and only when driven aggressively.

Hope DSG failure not on the cards. Any ideas anyone?
Old 19th September 2018, 14:08   #3133
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Did you reach? Let us know what happened!

My Octy is now at 37k km and I can hear a mild 'puk' sound on some DSG up-shifts (seems to be restricted to 4-5 & 5-6) and only when driven aggressively.

Hope DSG failure not on the cards. Any ideas anyone?
Yes I did reach back Bangalore. But couldn't take it to service centre last week as I got busy with work. All of a sudden 1000 km trip came up over the weekend. I took the risk of taking my ride for the trip But luckily had no issues over the trip.
Today I dropped it off in the service station for the checkup. Will update once I get any response from them.

Do you face any shudders along with the sound or only sound?
sud is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 16:08   #3134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you face any shudders along with the sound or only sound?
Only sound as of now. No degradation in the fun quotient yet!

Keeping fingers crossed. Anyway I have no long drives planned for next 3 months, so it can happily fail in BLR city :-) Max I'll reinforce the 'Avoid a Skoda' saying as I see it being loaded on a low-loader.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th September 2018 at 16:09.
Old 19th September 2018, 22:39   #3135
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Keeping fingers crossed. Anyway I have no long drives planned for next 3 months, so it can happily fail in BLR city :-) Max I'll reinforce the 'Avoid a Skoda' saying as I see it being loaded on a low-loader.
Same here. I have mentally made up my mind that this is going to fail one day. So no worrying except the fact that i am praying for service guyz to do a proper diagnosis/fix and return the car without much delay.

Last edited by sud : 19th September 2018 at 22:51.

Most Viewed