Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 01:23   #3151
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Ok , that was ultra mega helpful.
The annual servicing cost of the car doesn't seem too bad.
Extended warranty does seem like a must.
I'll head to Tafe Access sometime this weekend and see if I can strike a good deal.
Thanks for the heads up ! This was really helpful
Old 16th October 2018, 07:25   #3152
Distinguished - BHPian

Globally the 2018 Octavia is not a facelift but with mechanical changes. Gets New Engines: 150 HP 1.5 TSI and 190 HP 2.0 TSI.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2018skodaoctaviagetsnewengines150hp15tsiand190hp20tsi_5.jpg

Quote:
The base units are the same and include a 1-liter 3-cylinder TSI and a 1.6 TDI, both with 115 HP and available with 7-speed DSG gearboxes.
Quote:
The 1.4 TSI has been replaced with a 1.5 TSI which produces the same 150 HP and 250 Nm of torque as before. However, the unit comes with cylinder deactivation and a fancy new turbo, so it should be more economical.
Quote:
The 2.0 TDI makes the same 150 HP as before, but it's now hooked up to a 7-speed DSG as standard, not the old 6-speed unit
Quote:
The 1.8 TSI has gone out of production, its place being taken by the 2.0 TSI. This engine uses an efficient combustion cycle and will return 6 l/100km combined, according to WLTP
Quote:
at 190 HP and 320 Nm of torque, it's got more performance than its predecessor. The 0 to 100 km/h sprint is dealt with in 7.3 seconds, making this ordinary Octavia faster than the Octavia RS TDI

Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 12:23   #3153
Distinguished - BHPian

Any timeline for these new combinations of tranny + engines to make it to India? I assume the old kits will dry up within 3-4 months.

Does this kind of a change mean new homologation?
Old 20th October 2018, 18:05   #3154
BHPian

Well,
This came as a huge surprise for me.
I had booked an Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in August and it reached the dealer two days back. I completed the formalities today and took delivery....

Guess what.....

It has a digital instrument cluster!!!!!!! The dealer had no idea that it was coming.

I am so glad that I didn't get an early delivery.

Bought it through the CSD so the Ex CSD Price came to 19.36 lacs and about 90k for the insurance.
The dealer gave a 25k cash discount.

Will post a video of the new cluster soon.
docsinghal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 18:08   #3155
Distinguished - BHPian

The digital cluster! Pictures!!!
Old 20th October 2018, 20:02   #3156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
It has a digital instrument cluster!!!!!!! The dealer had no idea that it was coming.
Is the whole console digital ?
Pics and video please. This is a first in the segment i guess

Quote:
Bought it through the CSD so the Ex CSD Price came to 19.36 lacs and about 90k for the insurance.
The dealer gave a 25k cash discount.
How much of a difference is it between CSD and regular prices ?
Old 20th October 2018, 21:13   #3157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Is the whole console digital ?
Pics and video please. This is a first in the segment i guess.
A friend Nikhil had shared these pics sometime back from an Octavia L&K in a dealership yard:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20181006wa0008.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20181006wa0007.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20181006wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2018 at 07:36. Reason: Adding watermarks
Gannu_1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 21:28   #3158
Distinguished - BHPian

Neat! It's a €350 /£450 buck option in most of the EU so glad we are getting it without a hike in price. Even the Superb does not have it yet.

As per VAG forums, there are 2 versions, Active Information Display I & II with the latter being much more capable. Wonder which one VAG will 'allow' Skoda to offer?!

EDIT: From Gannu_1's post it looks like the AID-I. Does it do maps too?

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th October 2018 at 21:36.
Old 20th October 2018, 22:51   #3159
BHPian

Sorry guys,

I came to Jalandhar to pick the car up and did not have time to make a proper video or click a lot of pics.

Off topic: The Team BHP app has limited options to post videos and pics. I think we need to update the app.

Anyway, I am back in my hotel room and am posting a few shots that I clicked sometime ago. Have also uploaded video to youtube, sharing a link.
Here goes...

The whole console is digital, it's very fluid. It doesn't do maps. But seems like a big upgrade.

Signing off

Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0185.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0186.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0187.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0188.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0189.jpg  

Last edited by docsinghal : 20th October 2018 at 22:59.
docsinghal is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 10:57   #3160
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, when you recover do post more pictures :-)

Does the infotainment unit have significant changes in its interface or size given that most of the information is now channeled to the digital cluster?
Old 21st October 2018, 12:55   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any timeline for these new combinations of tranny + engines to make it to India? I assume the old kits will dry up within 3-4 months.

Does this kind of a change mean new homologation?
I am in the market for a car in this segment (not that there are many choices). This is just my assumption but i feel there is a chance that Skoda can consider skipping the updated 2.0 engine as the power output of the 1.5 TSI is adequate in relation to its competitors. As the 2.0 will have a different gearbox it is really a difficult situation to be in as the performance is one of the major draws of the car and the 1.5 TSI just wont cut it .

Quote:
Sorry guys,

I came to Jalandhar to pick the car up and did not have time to make a proper video or click a lot of pics.

The whole console is digital, it's very fluid. It doesn't do maps. But seems like a big upgrade.

Signing off
Congratulation on the awesome purchase docsinghal

You mentioned that it does not do maps. In your video, i think the prompt mentioned that the head unit was switched off. Whenever you find time, please consider checking if using maps on Android Auto or CarPlay makes a difference.

Also i assume that you have purchased this in NCR. If you dont mind, please share who the dealer was so that i can skip having to explain what the digital display is. I am in touch with the Chandigarh dealer and there are no discounts as per him.

Thanks
theMandarin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 13:08   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A friend Nikhil had shared these pics sometime back from an Octavia L&K in a dealership yard:

Attachment 1809869

Attachment 1809870

Attachment 1809871

Whoa! This is REALLY nice! Does anybody know whether such an option is available for the Jetta as well? I am with the old lady of 2014 make😎
Old 21st October 2018, 14:19   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys,

I came to Jalandhar to pick the car up and did not have time to make a proper video or click a lot of pics

Signing off
Wow. This is wonderful. Can this be fit as an accessory? Would love to have this upgrade.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd October 2018 at 08:06. Reason: Removing youtube URL for quoted post.
Old 21st October 2018, 20:26   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
I am in the market for a car in this segment (not that there are many choices). This is just my assumption but i feel there is a chance that Skoda can consider skipping the updated 2.0 engine as the power output of the 1.5 TSI is adequate in relation to its competitors. As the 2.0 will have a different gearbox it is really a difficult situation to be in as the performance is one of the major draws of the car and the 1.5 TSI just wont cut it .

Congratulation on the awesome purchase docsinghal

You mentioned that it does not do maps. In your video, i think the prompt mentioned that the head unit was switched off. Whenever you find time, please consider checking if using maps on Android Auto or CarPlay makes a difference.

Also i assume that you have purchased this in NCR. If you dont mind, please share who the dealer was so that i can skip having to explain what the digital display is. I am in touch with the Chandigarh dealer and there are no discounts as per him.

Thanks
We drove back from Jalandhar to Gurgaon today and although I still haven't played around much with the car, I was able to discover that the instrument cluster does display the in-built maps.

I am posting a video that we made made en route

I tried the same with Apple Car Play and that doesn't work.

There is no difference in the entertainment unit from the previous version but like I said earlier, this instrument cluster really does make a huge difference to the overall feel of the cockpit.

I purchased the car through Krishna Auto Sales, Chandigarh and billing was done at CSD Jalandhar as I am a serving doctor in the Armed Forces. The dealer in Gurgaon was rude hence I opted for Krishna Auto Sales.

We got an awesome deal through the CSD. Total amount paid to CSD was Rs 19,36,960/- (including TCS, which I will claim in the next IT return), Insurance costed around Rs 90,000/- and I will pay Rs 57,533/- (@3%) as registration charges in HP. Total on road price: Rs 20,86,493/- for an Octavia 1.8 TSI AT L&K

I will keep looking for new features, if any. I asked the sales people at the dealership and they just said that they were told that this is the 2019 Octavia but haven't been told about the exact changes. They asked me to share any updates with them too.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd October 2018 at 22:05. Reason: Grammatical errors, fixed typo.
docsinghal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 07:46   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
We drove back from Jalandhar to Gurgaon today and although I still haven't played around much with the car, I was able to discover that the instrument cluster does display the in-built maps.

I am posting a video that we made made en route
Very cool. We just ordered the Superb L&K. Insisted on an October car. Wonder if it will have the virtual cockpit

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th October 2018 at 09:04. Reason: Removing youtube URL for quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks