Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 11:43   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Very cool. We just ordered the Superb L&K. Insisted on an October car. Wonder if it will have the virtual cockpit
There is considerable uncertainty on the Superb MY19 additions and deletions even in the EU. Better to run the VIN (as soon as you get it) through a paid VIN decoder site to get the detailed listing.

Best of luck!
Old 31st October 2018, 12:49   #3167
BHPian

My car battery gave up yesterday, as per SVC battery is dead & is not charging. My car is 13 months old (30K KM on ODO). I have been using car for daily commute as well as for touring. Did not give any sign of a weakness before it suddenly gave up.

SVC is saying its quite normal as its electrical part.
Old 31st October 2018, 20:40   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
My car battery gave up yesterday, as per SVC battery is dead & is not charging. My car is 13 months old (30K KM on ODO). I have been using car for daily commute as well as for touring. Did not give any sign of a weakness before it suddenly gave up.
Warranty on battery by Skoda is 12 months.

3 options
1. Write to Skoda about the incident.

I'm sure they will replace Free Of Cost under goodwill as its only 1 month above warranty.

2. Have the battery replaced at workshop and write to Skoda India. Later claim reimbursement.

3. Install Amaron and forget about battery issues for at least 4 years.

Quote:
SVC is saying its quite normal as its electrical part.
Good joke by SVC.

VAG OEM Batteries Varta, SeBang and Exide Spain are all not fit for Indian driving conditions.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 07:21   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
My car battery gave up yesterday, as per SVC battery is dead & is not charging.
The OEM Varta battery on mine lasted around two years. It also failed suddenly. It was working just fine and then one fine morning, it was dead. I think there was an official recall too.

I replaced it with an aftermarket Exide battery with a slightly bigger capacity but that also gave up just under two years, but got a replacement under warranty.

The exide gave plenty of warning signs though.
Old 1st November 2018, 14:01   #3170
BHPian

Autobahn SVC is working with Skoda for warranty replacement (called as GoodWill Warranty). Waiting to hear from them.
Old 1st November 2018, 16:09   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Autobahn SVC is working with Skoda for warranty replacement (called as GoodWill Warranty). Waiting to hear from them.

Update : Skoda agrees to cover 50% Cost of battery and has asked me to pay INR 6500 in total for a replacement. They are providing 2 years warranty for new battery. I am thinking to get it replaced from outside as I will get 4 years warranty (2 + 2).
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 17:01   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Update : Skoda agrees to cover 50% Cost of battery and has asked me to pay INR 6500 in total for a replacement.
6500 ₹ is 50% cost of the battery? Makes sense to get it replaced from outside. The 50% should more than cover 100% of the cost.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:35   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Update : Skoda agrees to cover 50% Cost of battery and has asked me to pay INR 6500 in total for a replacement. They are providing 2 years warranty for new battery. I am thinking to get it replaced from outside as I will get 4 years warranty (2 + 2).
Just a FYI, last year I got a new battery from VW for my Jetta for around Rs. 8000 including labour. See image below for proof. Why would Skoda charge around 5000 more for, what i am assuming is, the same battery?

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-capture.jpg
Immix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:20   #3174
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree, 13k for a battery sounds much too high. One question I had was whether fitting a battery from outside (even if it complies to their specs) invalidates warranty or not?
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:06   #3175
BHPian

I Paid total INR 6200 including Battery Cover.
Old 2nd November 2018, 17:26   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post

I tried the same with Apple Car Play and that doesn't work.
Looks awesome.

Recently test drove the A4. Even there, the virtual cockpit does not take Android Auto or Car Play content. Such a pity. Maybe they'll offer it via future software upgrades.
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:15   #3177
BHPian

Common wisdom (Anecdotal evidence) states that failing of the DSG gearbox (TSI Variant) is a question of WHEN not IF. It is quite likely that in the event of failure, Skoda will handle the replacement free of cost but even if it does not, the experiences cited in this forum state the expenditure will be somewhere around 1.3 lakhs.

So a question to current owners of the TSI engine, does it make sense to pick this car if you have any intention to drive it enthusiastically ? I dont intend taking it to a race track but we all enjoy occasionally downshifting a gear or two to see the engine rev up. Does the risk of failure increase exponentially with such a driving pattern because members have reported experiencing a failure even on driving sedately ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
There is no difference in the entertainment unit from the previous version but like I said earlier, this instrument cluster really does make a huge difference to the overall feel of the cockpit.

I will keep looking for new features, if any. I asked the sales people at the dealership and they just said that they were told that this is the 2019 Octavia but haven't been told about the exact changes. They asked me to share any updates with them too.
You have done an exemplary community service by uploading that video about the Active Info Display. I have visited VW and Skoda dealers and both of them used your video when i inquired about the feature. Being a member here does have its perks.

It would be really helpful if you can share your experience after having lived with the car for a few weeks regarding the usefulness of this feature. Does the car loose any features such as the Auto park with the addition of the Active Info Display ?
Old 3rd November 2018, 10:09   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Virtual cockpits are good for virtual cars. This looks like a video game.

Regular meters don't look artificial as this does.

No doubt it's there even in the S Class but that doesn't necessarily make it look good.

Only makes it fashionable.

Last edited by AMG Power : 3rd November 2018 at 10:38.
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:06   #3179
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
So a question to current owners of the TSI engine, does it make sense to pick this car if you have any intention to drive it enthusiastically ? I dont intend taking it to a race track but we all enjoy occasionally downshifting a gear or two to see the engine rev up. Does the risk of failure increase exponentially with such a driving pattern because members have reported experiencing a failure even on driving sedately ?
From my understanding, the issue is not due to driving enthusiastically but more to do with the bumper to bumper traffic scenarios where there is more heat produced due to half clutch.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:02   #3180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
From my understanding, the issue is not due to driving enthusiastically but more to do with the bumper to bumper traffic scenarios where there is more heat produced due to half clutch.
Agree although there are no guarantees I feel. My TSI is at 3 years and ~39k km and I drive it enthusiastically on my regular semi-urban commute. Bumper to bumper is comparatively far lesser. Even then, I have been hearing minor noises from the DSG especially 3-4 & 4-5 when I lift off after initial quick acceleration. Don't know that cause but hope it is not a sign that it will fail totally.

Will ask for a detailed check during upcoming 3 year service.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd November 2018 at 18:07.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed