Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 09:26   #3241
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 639 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
There's no specific reason why it broke. It just does. My car is only driven in the city by the chauffeur , and has only covered 12K kms, in the past 2.5 years.

Apparently, a relative also has coolant issues on his 7 year old Superb, quite often.

Please get the extended warranty/whatever is required to extend your warranty. It's be a very wise decision.
How is your DSG doing? Do you practice the idling before start and stop?

And do you put your car in neutral or park when waiting at a signal?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Spacing
Pancham is online now  
Old 21st January 2019, 12:39   #3242
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
How is your DSG doing? Do you practice the idling before start and stop?

And do you put your car in neutral or park when waiting at a signal?
Working fine till now. No issues.

I don't drive that car. My chauffeur does.

He definitely puts it to N while waiting at the signal.

I have instructed him to let the car run for a minute or so, before venturing out of the garage. However, have not carefully checked it's enforcement.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:40. Reason: Spacing
sharktale is online now  
Old 21st January 2019, 16:47   #3243
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi rutvij,

Try and get the steering button kit changed under goodwill warranty. Hope there are no signs of exterior damage etc?Loads of complaints against the same - just too delicate a component.

Skoda refused to change my stabilizer link rods saying they have lubricated it etc. The irritating squeaky noise came back in 3 days flat for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I too have the same problem. If I remember correctly started happening somewhere post 45K-50K kms. And asked service centre to check the link rods. After inspection they said link rods are fine and just need cleaning and lubrication. But again it reappeared in few weeks. As with @itwasntme, I also started living with it. Seems like a prevalent issue.
My car is nearing 4 years of age. I have extended warranty from ICICI Lombard. Last year I tried both goodwill warranty as well as ICICI Warranty for changing both scrollers on steering wheel. Both were unsuccessful as according to them broker parts are not covered.

If I remember correctly, last year the price of the whole assembly was around 17K, 4 months a go it was 21k and now they are quoting 26k! This is too much of a price to pay for a part broken due to inferior quality. Apart from scrollers all buttons are working properly. Thinking about ordering this part online. But if I go that route, then I will have to find a good garage who can replace the same.

I am informed that suspension squeaking noise is due to stabilizing link rods and I am quoted around 14 to 15k for changing the same. For now I have decided to live with this noise.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:35   #3244
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,206
Thanked: 4,965 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
If I remember correctly, last year the price of the whole assembly was around 17K, 4 months a go it was 21k and now they are quoting 26k!

I am informed that suspension squeaking noise is due to stabilizing link rods and I am quoted around 14 to 15k for changing the same. For now I have decided to live with this noise.
Sorry to hear this news. I feel given the age of your car, you can take a gamble with importing the part and having it fitted in IN. I understand its purely plug-n-play, and should need only dismantling of the steering wheel/airbag unit rather than VAG COM coding etc.

As for the stabilizer link rods, I had been told they were around 2k each for the fronts. The 14/15k sounds terrible! Do you have any details behind the quote?

joethomasv here had had them replaced on his TDI at Skoda Calicut for only ~2k each. Does the TDI & TSI share the same front suspension? The rear is definitely torsion beam and multilink independent respectively.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4371868

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st January 2019 at 17:43.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:32   #3245
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sorry to hear this news. I feel given the age of your car, you can take a gamble with importing the part and having it fitted in IN. I understand its purely plug-n-play, and should need only dismantling of the steering wheel/airbag unit rather than VAG COM coding etc.

As for the stabilizer link rods, I had been told they were around 2k each for the fronts. The 14/15k sounds terrible! Do you have any details behind the quote
I agree. 26K for broker scrollers was too much. I had to find some other source. I was in touch with Vagtunes and today I have order it from them. They have it available and the sell it seperately for each side. I have been promised that it will be dispatched tomorrow. Hopefully there should not be much of a problem installing them as they are plug and play part.

For squeaking noise, the culprit is not stabilizer link rods but bushes that come with link rod. Bushes are rubber part and they are not available seperately. I was told by service advisor that seperate bushes are available in Rapid but not in Octavia. You will have to purchase the whole link rod. I believe Skoda has not paid much attention to keep the cost of parts down in Octavia by making child parts available seperately.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:05   #3246
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 6,060
Thanked: 14,374 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I agree. 26K for broker scrollers was too much. I had to find some other source.
Out of curiosity, how much did they quote?

It's available on AliExpress for approx. 6000 INR.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bUXpiTK0
Gannu_1 is offline  
Old 24th January 2019, 20:06   #3247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Gentlemen,

I am looking to buy octavia L&K TSI DSG AT. Looking at the various forums including team bhp, I am still unconvinced that DSG for Indian Roads and Bangalore traffic is suitable. Is there a different opinion. I loved the test drive but worried about the reliability of dsg gearbox. There's also a plan to look at the new civic that's going to be launched in a couple of months.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Anand

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:41. Reason: Spacing
qAnand is offline  
Old 24th January 2019, 21:12   #3248
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 69
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
Gentlemen,

I am looking to buy octavia L&K TSI DSG AT. Looking at the various forums including team bhp, I am still unconvinced that DSG for Indian Roads and Bangalore traffic is suitable. Is there a different opinion. I loved the test drive but worried about the reliability of dsg gearbox. There's also a plan to look at the new civic that's going to be launched in a couple of months.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Anand
I have no clue about the Bangalore traffic situation, but i can assure you that the diesel+dsg (Six speed DSG/Dq250) is the best you can get I have driven almost 1.6 lac kms in 7 years without any issue. The Skoda diesels are very reliable compared to the petrol + DSG combo.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:41. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
vap2151 is offline  
Old 24th January 2019, 22:07   #3249
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 168
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
I have no clue about the Bangalore traffic situation, but i can assure you that the diesel+dsg (Six speed DSG/Dq250) is the best you can get I have driven almost 1.6 lac kms in 7 years without any issue. The Skoda diesels are very reliable compared to the petrol + DSG combo.
AFAIK, its got nothing to do with the Petrol + dsg combo, its more to do with the type of dsg deployed. The vRS and diesel octy's have the dq250, whereas other models(gt tsi, vento tdi AT octavia 1.8) models have the dq200 which has had its share of issues in the earlier releases.
zebo is offline  
Old 24th January 2019, 22:50   #3250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 69
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo View Post
AFAIK, its got nothing to do with the Petrol + dsg combo, its more to do with the type of dsg deployed. The vRS and diesel octy's have the dq250, whereas other models(gt tsi, vento tdi AT octavia 1.8) models have the dq200 which has had its share of issues in the earlier releases.
Yes that's true it's mainly the DQ200 gearbox which is the unreliable hardware globally from the VW group.
vap2151 is offline  
Old 24th January 2019, 23:51   #3251
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,287
Thanked: 2,754 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
Please share your thoughts.
There have hardly been any reports of premature failures of the current-gen DSGs in India amongst any Skodas off late.

As long as you do not keep the GB in D for too long in standstill traffic, the rest should be fine.

The 4 yr warranty only adds to the peace of mind.
n.devdath is offline  
Old 25th January 2019, 11:15   #3252
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,566
Thanked: 9,671 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
Gentlemen,
I am looking to buy octavia L&K TSI DSG AT. Looking at the various forums including team bhp, I am still unconvinced that DSG for Indian Roads and Bangalore traffic is suitable. Is there a different opinion. I loved the test drive but worried about the reliability of dsg gearbox. There's also a plan to look at the new civic that's going to be launched in a couple of months.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Anand
We have had the 1.8 TSI Octavia since September 2014 and thankfully, the gearbox has held up decently in spite of miserable bangalore traffic. The car has done around 35k on the odo, including several long distance drives.

We have had a few other minor niggles and the service chaps haven't been particularly cooperative.

VW will look to introduce the new Virtus in 2020 presumably, and several reports seem to suggest that it will be equipped with a torque converter. That goes to show that VAG themselves don't have full faith in the DSG.

My advice would be to buy the Octavia if you intend on disposing it of after about 40k on the clock. If you intend on keeping it for any period longer than 5 years / 40k, be prepared to shell out big bucks on maintenance, including potential replacement of gearbox components.

Also, some reports seem to suggest that the Civic will have the archaic 1.8 litre 140 horsepower petrol engine with a regular AT. If reliability is paramount, the Civic is not a bad option I suppose. But don't expect it to be a great driver's car.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:02   #3253
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,206
Thanked: 4,965 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My advice would be to buy the Octavia if you intend on disposing it of after about 40k on the clock. If you intend on keeping it for any period longer than 5 years / 40k, be prepared to shell out big bucks on maintenance, including potential replacement of gearbox components.

Also, some reports seem to suggest that the Civic will have the archaic 1.8 litre 140 horsepower petrol engine with a regular AT. If reliability is paramount, the Civic is not a bad option I suppose. But don't expect it to be a great driver's car.
As suhaas and others have already said, Octavia vs Civic is classic heart vs mind, and your choice will be dictated by your risk appetite.

Octavia is classy, very much a driver's car, much more spacious than the new Civic but temperamental and with an easy 50% depreciation within 4 years.

Civic is super-reliable, possibly much less sporty @140 bhp and will hold its value much better.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:33   #3254
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Advice needed :

My car returned from the service centre, after the water pump replacement, which took around 14 days on 25th Jan, 2019.

However, yesterday, the car again showed up the warning last night, and my coolant has become 0. THIS IS NOW THE 3rd TIME!

My father is now fed up of the car, and is advocating legal action.

He's wanting to get Skoda India to either get the car replaced, or a full refund of the Original Invoice amount.

He's now in touch with a legal team to ensure a proper legal notice is ready and shall be served on the company soon.

Meanwhile, I'd ask fellow members, whether the demands are justified, or is there any way this can be sorted?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Spacing
sharktale is online now  
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:18   #3255
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,206
Thanked: 4,965 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Advice needed :

My car returned from the service centre, after the water pump replacement, which took around 14 days on 25th Jan, 2019.

However, yesterday, the car again showed up the warning last night, and my coolant has become 0. THIS IS NOW THE 3rd TIME!
Sharktale, frankly your case will not hold as it is 2 years old now. Better to escalate to Skoda aggressively and take the dealer to task concurrently. I just had my Octy's first water pump change at 3 years \ 42k km. Vinayak Skoda did the job well and requested to keep the car overnight to reconfirm no leakage from the cooling system. How can a newly changed pump leak out like this? Shoddy work done!
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks