Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 02:01   #3331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
During the last service my SA told me that the battery is showing signs of weakness and it won't be covered under warranty.

After some googling, decided to go with Amaron AAM-FL-566112060. I paid Rs. 5700 for the same. Online stores were offering around Rs. 450 cheaper. But for the constraint of time went ahead with nearby store.

Battery log:
1. Month 0 - OEM SeBang Battery [Made in Korea]
2. Month 18 - Replaced by Skoda under warranty to Exide [Made in India]
3. Month 40 - Replaced to Amaron [Made in India] (AAM-FL-566112060) from outside.
Hi Sud, I too went for a battery change at Month 22. OEM was Exide (made in India). This was changed as the battery diagnosis during 30k service came as weak cells. Initially the service centre refused to replace under warranty as it is only for 1 year. But haggled and got replaced at Rs 1.8k and the warranty is now 2 years. Exide (made out of india).

Amaron price looks great. When I checked in the market got a quote of Rs 7k. Hope the AH ratings are of correct values.
Karvel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 07:20   #3332
sud
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Nopes, no signs yet.

But concerned! Wife will tie the jumper cables around my neck and ask me to swing if any breakdown happens impacting her
Haha. Then you need to be really concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Hi Sud, I too went for a battery change at Month 22. OEM was Exide (made in India). This was changed as the battery diagnosis during 30k service came as weak cells. Initially the service centre refused to replace under warranty as it is only for 1 year. But haggled and got replaced at Rs 1.8k and the warranty is now 2 years. Exide (made out of india).
That's interesting. Looks like as a customer we all have to haggle for everything. I should have thought about it.

The external battery purchase gives 4 year warranty (2 yrs 100% free + 2 yrs pro-rata based). Did you explicitly check about the pro-rata warranty period with your SA? My SA told me clearly it is only one year warranty.

I don't understand why Skoda can't give consistent information and warranty.

Quote:
Amaron price looks great. When I checked in the market got a quote of Rs 7k. Hope the AH ratings are of correct values.
The price I have paid is with exchange. Without exchange it is around 7K. It is 60Ah. I have double checked the model online and also with their offline sheet.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 10:46   #3333
BHPian

Quote:

The external battery purchase gives 4 year warranty (2 yrs 100% free + 2 yrs pro-rata based). Did you explicitly check about the pro-rata warranty period with your SA? My SA told me clearly it is only one year warranty.
Yes, double checked. 2 years warranty. No pro-rata warranty after that. Still went ahead as the price was good at Rs1.8k+tax for two years...
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 06:46   #3334
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited my Skoda workshop this week in my Octavia TSI as I was passing by with some time on hand. Requested my SA to go for a quick TD to replicate the krrkrr noise that seems to come from the stabilizer link rods in front when on speedbreakers etc.

But got frustrated when it could not be replicated I think due to the intense heat and the combined weight of 2 people. It irritates me most on cold mornings when I am alone.

But he mentioned no harm being done nor a safety issue - advised me to live with it as long as I could, and then come for replacement. Total cost is ~12k I understand.

Overall, his quick assessment was that car is in excellent shape without any obvious issues. All appendages tightly crossed :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th March 2019 at 06:59.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:19   #3335
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
But got frustrated when it could not be replicated I think due to the intense heat and the combined weight of 2 people. It irritates me most on cold mornings when I am alone.
If not already done, next time get your lower arm bushes also checked.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 13:58   #3336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If not already done, next time get your lower arm bushes also checked.
Sud, they checked them very closely in my 3rd service in December '18 and pronounced them to be in fair condition. It's just that the noise irritates me because the rest of the car (apart from the leather rubbing from the door beadings ) is so silent.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 18:33   #3337
BHPian

Hi Octavians,
Just thought of checking.
Has anyone updated the maps in the navigation system? Through service centre or by any other method?

Is it possible to get Google map downloaded and use in the navigation system?

The system is good and GPS is spot on. But the map sucks. Hence wanted to check.
Old 5th April 2019, 09:40   #3338
Senior - BHPian

Can't use Gmaps as default maps. Why not use Android Auto or Apple Carplay? For updates you can ask the dealer to check.
Old 7th April 2019, 10:28   #3339
BHPian

I also have the same query regarding Navigation through the System without CarPlay or Android Auto. I am not able to do Navigation through the inbuilt system. It says please insert media. I am not sure how to proceed with it! Does anyone also face the same problem?

My car is a 2016 Nov manufactured Octavia Style Plus 2.0 TDI variant.
Old 7th April 2019, 11:31   #3340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev911 View Post
I also have the same query regarding Navigation through the System without CarPlay or Android Auto. I am not able to do Navigation through the inbuilt system. It says please insert media. I am not sure how to proceed with it! Does anyone also face the same problem?

My car is a 2016 Nov manufactured Octavia Style Plus 2.0 TDI variant.

Hi Sanjeev, it means the SD card where the maps is stored is missing. Did the dealer give you the SD card while getting the car? The card needs to be inserted into the slot in the glove box. If you have the card and still getting this error, then either the card is corrupted or the unit is having some problem.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20190407112637_file-manager-hd.jpg
Old 7th April 2019, 11:39   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sanjeev, it means the SD card where the maps is stored is missing. Did the dealer give you the SD card while getting the car? The card needs to be inserted into the slot in the glove box. If you have the card and still getting this error, then either the card is corrupted or the unit is having some problem.

Hi. I will check this. Unfortunately, I am the second owner of the car, & need to check with the first owner if in case this card is missing! Thank you for the headsup!
Old 8th April 2019, 20:01   #3342
BHPian

So, finally after 2 months of staying at the Service Centre, our car was returned. The following parts have been changed, and Rs. NIL has been charged.
Really hoping that all the troubles have been finally been put to rest. There is legal action underway already, and shall update this forum, if anything works out.

Attaching the parts & labour list for convenience to all :

Name:  Screenshot 20190408 at 7.56.54 PM.png
Views: 2890
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 20190408 at 7.57.12 PM.png
Views: 2784
Size:  27.0 KB
Old 9th April 2019, 09:04   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sharktale. So was the coolant mixing with engine oil? Did you see any drop in performance when you faced the problem such as forced limp home mode, irregular acceleration, etc.? I thought the thermostat replacement will do but head gasket shouldn't have given way like this. Hope they've followed all the procedures of putting everything back together in the right place and right amount of fluids. AFAIK coolant capacity is approximately 8.5 litres. Do check on that.
Old 9th April 2019, 09:56   #3344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey Sharktale. So was the coolant mixing with engine oil?
Yes, since it's become a legal matter, Skoda engineer/s from the factory had inspected the car and evaluated that traces of coolant were indeed found in the engine head, that's why the part was imported from Czech and replaced.

The thermostat had been replaced 3 times earlier, but the problem always re-surfaced. Hence, we were forced to file a legal complaint or harassment and incompetency.

The car is driven by my chauffeur who has said that the car definitely feels somewhat more peppy after it's return.

I'm really hopeful that they must have followed the due procedures, as I was being told always that all work is being carried out under Skoda India's direct supervision.

They have always filled 6L of Coolant, as per the earlier invoices, so I guess that's the amount they fill.

All said, the SA has been courteous at his end almost on all occasions and we had been provided with a courtesy car for almost the entire 1.5 months.

Last edited by sharktale : 9th April 2019 at 09:59.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:22   #3345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Octavians,
Just thought of checking.
Has anyone updated the maps in the navigation system? Through service centre or by any other method?

Is it possible to get Google map downloaded and use in the navigation system?

The system is good and GPS is spot on. But the map sucks. Hence wanted to check.
Couple of time I had asked Vinayak A.S.S., but they say no update from Skoda India. However, maps are updated every 6 months on the Skoda map portal.

https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

I downloaded and updated twice in my Superb. However, first time I did this, maps were seriously broken, most of PoI and name database was truncated, and couldn't be found any more. The last update was better, but still you'll not find some well known destinations in BLR.
The last update reduced the size of GBs to download (2GB rather than close to 5GB IIRC) for India as there is a separate bundle for India and Chile (no idea why this combo) called MRM2 2019/2020
So backup your old maps in case you want to write them back. The maps must be copied onto the original SD card for it to be used by Infotainment.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed