Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 20:51   #3571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, noticed a humming noise - especially during coasting (it's there all the time, but it's less noticeable during acceleration due to engine sound and the fact that mind is more focused on the acceleration itself). It felt similar to what I have heard on my cars when tyres get older. What can it be? This car has the Goodyear Eagle NCT 5's which my Laura also came with but never heard this sound on the Laura. Any clue?
Likely the tyres combined with that large boot that effectively resonates and creates a irritating humming/booming sound. I have fixed it my keeping some stuff always in the boot and also buying the boot dish to 'trap' the resonance. Plus the Laura was possibly a heavier ride and/or better insulated than this lighter MQB Octavia.

Best ~12K-15K spent on a new Octy is to change the tyres especially to PS3 225/50 or to P4ST in stock 205/55.

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th July 2019 at 20:52.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 21:12   #3572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have fixed it my keeping some stuff always in the boot and also buying the boot dish to 'trap' the resonance. Plus the Laura was possibly a heavier ride and/or better insulated than this lighter MQB Octavia.
Interesting! Thanks for the input. So you also hear this in your car? What is boot dish? And did your car also come with NCT 5's? What tyres are you running now?
Old 26th July 2019, 21:22   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for the input. So you also hear this in your car? What is boot dish? And did your car also come with NCT 5's? What tyres are you running now?
It's basically a plastic mat which fits the boot correctly.Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20190726212010.png
TSIVTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 22:53   #3574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.8 is 'too' silent so these hums, creaking from door beadings/sunroof, seatbelt rubbing etc, become far too apparent .

I bought the Skoda OEM boot dish for ~INR 6.5K and it is a lifesaver for my particular 'use case' as we tend to ferry a lot of stuff around throughout the year.

I also bought the 3D Handy Trunk for ~INR 2.3K in 2015 and it was a superb buy because the furry material tends to absorb the sound in the boot. https://www.amazon.in/3D-Big-Black-C.../dp/B012RWJ9L4

I had the original NCT5 tyres and used them for 35K km, and now on Michelin P3STs for last 14K km. Looking forward to upsizing especially if Michelin deigns to launch 225/50 in PS4.

Some random pix follow:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-6.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-7.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th July 2019 at 23:04.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 23:09   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased L&K 2.0 TDI in the last week of May. Took the delivery and went straight to the tyre shop where I swapped the Good Year for the Michelin 4ST. It cost me Rs 10k. IMHO, it is money well spent. The difference between the Goodyear and Michelin was night and day in terms of ride comfort and noise.
br_876 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 18:54   #3576
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from my friend - the root cause was this screw in the tyre. Removed, puncture repaired and the sound gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20190727wa0027.jpg  

anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 22:30   #3577
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need advice:

what would be a good price to pay:
  1. Octavia TSI Elegance March 2015 done 30K Kms - White
  2. Octavia TSI Elegance June 2015 Shiny Blue 47K Kms
  3. Octavia TSI Style Plus Nov 2015 Silver - 27K Kms
The Style plus had paddle shift and start stop. Any other difference between the Elegance and Style Plus?

Now here's the big conundrum:

I drive a 2012 Laura TSI done about 45k. While I love the MT, I miss the bluetooth connectivity on ICE and have always wanted to have a Sunroof.

MT (Love) vs DSG (Scared) + Sunroof (strongly desire)

What should I do?
Old 27th July 2019, 23:24   #3578

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Style plus had paddle shift and start stop. Any other difference between the Elegance and Style Plus?
Style plus had following extras
1. Paddle shifters
2. Bigger 6.5 inch infotainment system as compared to earlier 5 inches in elegance.
3. KESSY (keyless start Stop system)
jjared is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 09:48   #3579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjared View Post
Style plus had following extras
1. Paddle shifters
2. Bigger 6.5 inch infotainment system as compared to earlier 5 inches in elegance.
3. KESSY (keyless start Stop system)
+
4. MIBII upgrade: Android Auto & Apple CarPlay compatibility & Reverse camera colour display on MFD
5. 2 more airbags (rear curtains making a total of 8)

I suggest that you look at the June 2015 Elegance and check if it had these. Else the November 2015 Style Plus is definitely the more desirable one.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th July 2019 at 10:11.
Old 30th July 2019, 22:25   #3580
sud
BHPian

Few Updates:
- Brake wear indicator warning came at around ~85K kms. The rear discs had some scoring. Front discs will last for some more time. But decided to change all brake pads and discs together. It has set me back by around 33K. But brakes are much crisper right now.

- Got my 90K kms service done. Usual oil-filter, air-filter, pollen-filter, engine oil change done. Costed around 13K. I have asked them to skip balancing+alignment as I generally prefer doing it outside every ~5K.

- Driver side power window motor / lifter has given up. Needs replacement. But no parts available in stock. It will set me back by another 10K.
sud is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 12:22   #3581
BHPian

Need some advice. After 4 months of ownership, my Octavia has completed 7000 kms. I read somewhere that 1.8 TSI should
be checked for low engine oil every 7-8k kms. How do I check if the oil is low? Will a warning light come up?
Old 31st July 2019, 12:49   #3582
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Need some advice. After 4 months of ownership, my Octavia has completed 7000 kms. I read somewhere that 1.8 TSI should
be checked for low engine oil every 7-8k kms. How do I check if the oil is low? Will a warning light come up?
Yes there is a low engine oil indicator. I would recommend don't rely on it and best is to do the dipstick check.
sud is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:19   #3583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Few Updates:
- Brake wear indicator warning came at around ~85K kms. The rear discs had some scoring. Front discs will last for some more time. But decided to change all brake pads and discs together. It has set me back by around 33K. But brakes are much crisper right now.
How many kilometers did your OEM discs and pads last? How many times hace you changed the pads and discs so far?
Old 31st July 2019, 14:30   #3584
sud
BHPian

Quote:
How many kilometers did your OEM discs and pads last? How many times hace you changed the pads and discs so far?
Brake discs this is the first change. So OEM disc lasted for about 85K kms.

Brake pads this is second time change.
- First change @ 45K kms. So OEM lasted for about 45K kms. No wear indicator came. But upon inspection I decided to change it. May be it would have lasted for another 5K.
- Second change @85K kms

Last edited by sud : 31st July 2019 at 14:32.
sud is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:44   #3585

After 4 years of relatively smooth ownership, I am now facing several failures in my Octavia 1.8 TSI. The big one is the coolant leakage which requires them to replace the thermostat and the water pump. ( From the other messages on this thread looks like most TSI owners have faced this issue.) Unfortunately my 4 Year extended warranty ended in May-2019 and they are asking me to pay 53K including labor !!! I have done only 25K KMs so far!!

Does anyone on this thread have any information on the price.

I am also facing issues with the ABS sensor (i faced this issue last year as well and they replaced it under extended warranty) which will cost an additional 8K and Air Con leakage which the SA mentioned the company will cover.

While Its been a super fun car to drive and I have enjoyed driving my Octavia I am starting to regret my decision. feels like this is going to be the beginning of many more visits to the Service Center...
sujitshetty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks