BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

This is how it would look.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190824_194635183.jpg  

TSIVTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 02:27   #3617

Quick update : Can already feel the pressure of maintaining a black car. Luckily, in vizag, we don't have so much dust, pollution and traffic. Took the car out during some lovely drizzly weather and got some shots. Haven't had the time off late.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190808_175118__03.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190808_175140__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190808_142154__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190808_141457__01__03.jpg  

roy1010 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 13:12   #3618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Toying with contributing to the slowdown () by retaining my Rio Red Octavia TSI (3.7 years/50K km) as a daily drive vehicle, instead of splurging 40-50L on a new 3 or the Passat/Superb/vRS etc.

BUT wondering how to spice up the Octy to make it worthwhile for ~2 years more?
Spicing up the Octy is easy. You can go for the usual 'Stage 1' Mods
  • Engine :Stage 1 remap
  • Exhaust : Is really your call. There are plenty of choices available from mild to really loud ones. Sport exhausts give you some power gains as well. I always thought that loud sporty exhausts can be fun only for a short while and they can give you a headache during long drives etc... But the GTI has changed my opinion. I really enjoy the deep bassy growl it makes, not to mention those 'farts' on upshifts. It has never been bothersome on long journeys.
  • Suspension : Bilstein B6 is the default 'go to' option. You can't go wrong with this choice. It'll improve the handling and fun factor while making slow speed ride only mildly sharp. Lowering springs make the car look hot espcially if you couple it with fatter negative offset wheels (17" - 225s). Most lowering springs quote the lowering from the Euro Spec which itself is about 15mm lower than the India Spec. So 15mm lowering springs will take you 30mm down. I suggest you get hold of the euro spec OE spring set for the Octy and you'll be 15mm lower than current. I think this is the best compromise.
  • Wheels : Get a nice 17" set from Momo/ Borbet/ BBS and wrap with PS4s

Do these and you'll have upgraded from a 1.8 TSI to a VRS
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 08:45   #3619
BHPian

60,000km service completed yesterday in 2 months shy of 3 years. Service was carried out at the Gurgaon workshop and i am fairly happy with the result. As per service schedule all filters were changed and the DSG oil replaced.

The AC cooling had become a little weak in the last 20 days and they have topped up the AC gas. If it does not improve, will need to leave the car. The right side panel on the steering wheel was replaced under warranty. Apart from this, had no major issue to report.

Total bill was for 2500 which included new wiper blades and a new bulb for the boot light.

The car continues to drive really well. Will need a new set of tires in about 7-8000 km. Current set of Michelin P3ST is at 59,000km. Also the memory seat button had gone kaput due to water ingress during interior cleaning. Replaced at home after ordering a new one from AliExpress for Rs. 500. Works perfectly well now.

With the service pack over now, i am expecting regular service bills to be in the range of Rs. 12-14,000 from next service on.

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 27th August 2019 at 08:58. Reason: typo
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:07   #3620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Spicing up the Octy is easy. You can go for the usual 'Stage 1' Mods
[*]Suspension : Bilstein B6 is the default 'go to' option. You can't go wrong with this choice. It'll improve the handling and fun factor while making slow speed ride only mildly sharp. Lowering springs make the car look hot especially if you couple it with fatter negative offset wheels (17" - 225s). Most lowering springs quote the lowering from the Euro Spec which itself is about 15mm lower than the India Spec. So 15mm lowering springs will take you 30mm down. I suggest you get hold of the euro spec OE spring set for the Octy and you'll be 15mm lower than current. I think this is the best compromise.
Thank you Santosh for your usual quality answer . Wil definitely explore the options - any tips on sourcing either the OE EU struts from Bangalore? Is it worth trying any of the 'Indian' outfits or directly buy from the EU?

For tyres, I may not have the budget for 17"s. Is it worth trading in my stock 15k km used P3STs for new 225/50/16 IF i can locate them somewhere? Personally not 100% satisfied with the stock 205/55 grip. While fare better than the GY Eagle NCTs, I keep running out of grip especially on Speed 97

Praying for a PS4 launch in this size!

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th August 2019 at 11:14.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:26   #3621
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Santosh for your usual quality answer . Wil definitely explore the options - any tips on sourcing either the OE EU struts from Bangalore? Is it worth trying any of the 'Indian' outfits or directly buy from the EU?
Tune-o-tronics should be your best best for getting the OE springs. Pair them with the B6 you will have majestic handling. Since they are based out of Bangalore, you can just go and meet them over a weekend.

I had the B6 on my Laura and they are just something else. You cant go wrong with them. I would have loved to go the Stage 1 way on the Octavia like i had with Laura but since the car is mostly with my wife and chauffeured, will keep it stock.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:24   #3622
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Today, on my return trip from work, my 1.8TSI (2014) wouldn't start. made some weird clicky noises when i turned the key. The MID showed some error, but i couldn't read it as it would go away after cranking. the side mirrors kept folding back and out as well . Media, windows were working as usual.

I called the toll free support number. The adviser suspected that the battery had drained off. I took help of a colleague's car and successfully jump started the car. Question: Does this mean it is indeed the battery that was the issue? Should I worry about any other electrical problem that resulted in abnormal battery drain? How much life time is expected out of 1.8TSI's battery typically

One I reached home (20Km), I turned the car off and immediately tried to start again. Clicky noise, not starting!

My battery was replaced by Skoda in 2017 (EXIDE, made in India). the user manual says the indicator on the battery turning to yellow means battery is bad, but mine is not yellow.

I have asked a local battery guy that I trust to come and have a look tomorrow. He said that 2.5 yrs is a bit short for a petrol car's battery. So it is possible to revive it. In any case his new Amaron battery is about 2K cheaper than what Skoda service center is quoting (with a 4 yr warranty, against Skoda's 1yr). Suggestions welcome: Should I go for the local guy's Amaron, or Skoda Service center's?
Old 29th August 2019, 21:33   #3623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Hello Folks,

Today, on my return trip from work, my 1.8TSI (2014) wouldn't start. made some weird clicky noises when i turned the key. The MID showed some error, but i couldn't read it as it would go away after cranking. the side mirrors kept folding back and out as well . Media, windows were working as usual.

I called the toll free support number. The adviser suspected that the battery had drained off. I took help of a colleague's car and successfully jump started the car. Question: Does this mean it is indeed the battery that was the issue? Should I worry about any other electrical problem that resulted in abnormal battery drain? How much life time is expected out of 1.8TSI's battery typically

One I reached home (20Km), I turned the car off and immediately tried to start again. Clicky noise, not starting!

My battery was replaced by Skoda in 2017 (EXIDE, made in India). the user manual says the indicator on the battery turning to yellow means battery is bad, but mine is not yellow.

I have asked a local battery guy that I trust to come and have a look tomorrow. He said that 2.5 yrs is a bit short for a petrol car's battery. So it is possible to revive it. In any case his new Amaron battery is about 2K cheaper than what Skoda service center is quoting (with a 4 yr warranty, against Skoda's 1yr). Suggestions welcome: Should I go for the local guy's Amaron, or Skoda Service center's?
Surely seems to be the battery. All Skoda and Volkswagen cars equipped with the exide or VARTA post 2014 or 2015 have had premature battery failures. Ironically, even the battery which Skoda used as a replacement under warranty in your case is faulty. (As has been the case with most owners)

No chance of reviving the battery. It is a premature failure and hence the black spot won't turn yellow. Don't even think of going to Skoda and getting it replaced again with the same unit.

Go to a local battery Wala and get an Amaron FLO. It's a tried and tested battery and has been used by many here as a replacement for the OEM ones.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:30   #3624
BHPian

Hi All,

We are planning on a new purchase in the near future. Shortlisted cars are Octavia 1.4 TSI Style and Tata Harrier Auto (provided Tata tightens most loose ends mentioned in the Team-Bhp reviews and it comes in 170 bhp tune) Although both me and dad are inclined towards the Octavia.

1.8 TSI DSG is out of question, since we will be using our car predominantly for out station trips (will be using the dzire as a beater within Mumbai) and I wouldn't want the car conking off in the middle of nowhere with 2 senior citizens (dad and granny) and my mom (55+) on board. So wouldn't touch it with a barge pole even if Skoda gave infinite warranty (No disrespect to 1.8 TSI owners)

So my question is, does anyone know about the reliability of the 1.4 TSI? There's only one ownership report on Team Bhp and there isn't much on other sites too. Also, could Octavia owners from Mumbai add on the ASS of Mumbai dealerships. Which would be better, JMD or Autobahn?

Thank You,
Trooper
Old 29th August 2019, 23:13   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Hi All,

We are planning on a new purchase in the near future. Shortlisted cars are Octavia 1.4 TSI Style and Tata Harrier Auto (provided Tata tightens most loose ends mentioned in the Team-Bhp reviews and it comes in 170 bhp tune) Although both me and dad are inclined towards the Octavia.

Thank You,
Trooper
Tata Harrier Auto? I don't think they have launched an auto variant. Is it?
Old 29th August 2019, 23:15   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Tata Harrier Auto? I don't think they have launched an auto variant. Is it?
No they haven't. But it is expected soon, probably by Diwali, or latest by Jan 2020.
Old 30th August 2019, 00:25   #3627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions welcome: Should I go for the local guy's Amaron, or Skoda Service center's?
Haren, we met briefly at Vinayak some time back with our matching Rio Reds .

Don't worry, it's completely the battery. Just buy a DIN60+ battery from Exide or Amaron and it's plug and play. I paid ~6.3K for an Exide Mileage battery after exchange of the old one.

Amaron is probably better though the higher capacity ones are not an exact fit in the compartment, and need minor mods to the battery flap/cover and clamp.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:06   #3628
BHPian

Battery has been replaced with Amaron FLO. Car starts fine. But now with the new battery, 2 warning lights have come ON - ESC and Tire pressure. I am hoping it will go away as I drive. let's see. Else, I have to take it to service center after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Surely seems to be the battery. All Skoda and Volkswagen cars equipped with the exide or VARTA post 2014 or 2015 have had premature battery failures. Ironically, even the battery which Skoda used as a replacement under warranty in your case is faulty. (As has been the case with most owners)

No chance of reviving the battery. It is a premature failure and hence the black spot won't turn yellow. Don't even think of going to Skoda and getting it replaced again with the same unit.

Go to a local battery Wala and get an Amaron FLO. It's a tried and tested battery and has been used by many here as a replacement for the OEM ones.
Quote:
Haren, we met briefly at Vinayak some time back with our matching Rio Reds .

Don't worry, it's completely the battery. Just buy a DIN60+ battery from Exide or Amaron and it's plug and play. I paid ~6.3K for an Exide Mileage battery after exchange of the old one.

Amaron is probably better though the higher capacity ones are not an exact fit in the compartment, and need minor mods to the battery flap/cover and clamp.
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:23   #3629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Battery has been replaced with Amaron FLO. Car starts fine. But now with the new battery, 2 warning lights have come ON - ESC and Tire pressure. I am hoping it will go away as I drive. let's see. Else, I have to take it to service center after all
They will go away. Drive for some time, then switch fully off and restart. Mine went away like that. I assume those specific control modules take longer to recalibrate.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:30   #3630
BHPian

Right. I took the car out for a short spin. within 20mtrs both the warning lights went away. tried switching off and restarting a few times. No issues. I think those error events got logged incorrectly as my old battery was dying away and the message was "sticky" until I started driving the car.

Thanks for your support!

Quote:
They will go away. Drive for some time, then switch fully off and restart. Mine went away like that. I assume those specific control modules take longer to recalibrate.
Haren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed