Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 00:07   #3661
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Which showroom is this? Mahavir Skoda owns all the 3 showrooms in Hyderabad, so they have a monopoly. This puts customers at a significant disadvantage. However, they have been mostly well behaved with me and have come to my home twice for test drives - 1.4 TSI style and 1.8 TSI L&K. The offer extended was the same as yours though I did not try to negotiate hard as I have not made up my mind yet on the Octavia. They did seem adamant on the accessories and the depot charges though. Problem is - we dont have much options to go to another dealer but no harm in negotiating hard
It is the Jubilee hills showroom. That's right. They own all the dealerships in AP and Telangana and is putting customer at disadvantage. In a way, it is impacting Skoda too. I know few people including my close friends whose only reason to stay away from Skoda is Mahavir motors.

You are also right about manufactures cutting down on production. There are only two color choices (White and Grey) right now in lower end models. All color options are only available in L&K.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 12:40   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Guys, it's now time to change tyres in my Octavia. Micheline 4ST is the preferred choice of friends here. However these tyres are not available at any tyre shop. Even the company does not have any stock of these tyres.

What are other options? I have not been very happy with stock Goodyear tyres.
215 55 r16 pirelli I put these on and have driven around 3000km in the last 2 months. Seems soft and good. I kind of liked it compared to the goodyears that they were on.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:15   #3663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
215 55 r16 pirelli I put these on and have driven around 3000km in the last 2 months. Seems soft and good. I kind of liked it compared to the goodyears that they were on.
Do you feel that the body roll has increased? 215/55 offers a marginally wider contact patch but also leads to a taller sidewall. Great thing about this size is that Skoda will definitely honour any suspension-related warranty issues. Anything more, and they will not.

No one offering the 'ideal' upsize of 225/50/16 :-(

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th September 2019 at 15:22.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:27   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do you feel that the body roll has increased? 215/55 offers a marginally wider contact patch but also leads to a taller sidewall. Great thing about this size is that Skoda will definitely honour any suspension-related warranty issues. Anything more, and they will not.

No one offering the 'ideal' upsize of 225/50/16 :-(
Actually did not notice any body roll that significant.

I took advice from fellow bhpian here who suggested this as a possible upsize. The slight change has actually given me more confidence going through humps and potholes. That extra re-assurance that the underbody wont hit. I also breached the 100 km/h mark for a small stretch and it was pretty solid. The braking in heavy rains was also very ideal when I had to brake while going at 100kmph and some vehicle in the opposite side suddenly splashed water onto the windscreen. So overall been happy with the suggested size.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Speeding is considered dangerous and the mention of the same is not permitted on the Forum. Please refrain from doing so in the near future, and please drive safe.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd October 2019 at 15:40. Reason: See note in post
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 18:14   #3665
BHPian

My ordeal with the Skoda continues.

Our car had just returned from the Service Centre, 4 days back, after a stay of 10days, as the Brake Master Cylinder stopped functioning which needed immediate replacement and 3rd annual service was also to be performed.

Today, however, again the "Check Coolant" light has come up. The technicians have visited our premises and have taken away the vehicle. Meanwhile a "Test Drive Rapid" has been provided as a loaner car. This makes it the 6th incident! I am now assured our car is a lemon.

BHPians,
If anyone has any reference or personal contact with the management, I plead you to help me obtain a replacement vehicle or refund of my invoice amount. I really do not want to enter into a legal fight, since it's time consuming, and my suffering will continue till resolution.

Last edited by sharktale : 30th September 2019 at 18:24.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:25   #3666
BHPian

[Posted in another thread as well, apologies for that.]

Asking this for a friend. Thanks in advance.

My friend is in dilemma of purchasing either a top spec Rapid/City or an Octavia 1.4 Tsi ambition (base spec). He understands that he would a loose a great deal of features (including the infamous DSG) if goes with Octavia, however, he's tempted to have a sedan of D segment.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:32   #3667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
My friend is in dilemma of purchasing either a top spec Rapid/City or an Octavia 1.4 Tsi ambition (base spec). He understands that he would a loose a great deal of features (including the infamous DSG) if goes with Octavia, however, he's tempted to have a sedan of D segment.
Kind of a no-brainer – go with the Octavia 1.4; it is in its last leg of current gen and may lose on some fancy features but still a better buy than the smaller Rapid or City; you should have good discounts on the Octavia. Also, the City is almost due for a generation change, and the Rapid is not so young anyway.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:05   #3668
Distinguished - BHPian

Octavia all the way! Once he gets used to the D1 segment Octavia, he will not touch the C segment with a bargepole. The 1.4 manual is bulletproof to the best extent of the VAG family.

Avoid the equally ancient Rapid please.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:33   #3669
BHPian

Mod note: back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Octavia all the way! Once he gets used to the D1 segment Octavia, he will not touch the C segment with a bargepole. The 1.4 manual is bulletproof to the best extent of the VAG family.

Avoid the equally ancient Rapid please.
Completely agree! Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Kind of a no-brainer – go with the Octavia 1.4; it is in its last leg of current gen and may lose on some fancy features but still a better buy than the smaller Rapid or City; you should have good discounts on the Octavia. Also, the City is almost due for a generation change, and the Rapid is not so young anyway.
Thanks for the input. This is helpful!

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd October 2019 at 21:10. Reason: back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2019, 23:47   #3670
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion will be to NOT go for the Ambition variant. It is too spartan and misses out on convenience features which are available in B/C segment cars.The LED headlights on Style variant itself make a huge difference to the overall appeal of the car. These convenience features help one to keep the car for a longer period. My advice would be to save some more money and go for the Style variant (preferably 1.8 TSI). However, if your friend plans to change the car in 3-4 years, then it might be fine to go for Ambition.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:17   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion will be to NOT go for the Ambition variant. It is too spartan and misses out on convenience features which are available in B/C segment cars.The LED headlights on Style variant itself make a huge difference to the overall appeal of the car. These convenience features help one to keep the car for a longer period. My advice would be to save some more money and go for the Style variant (preferably 1.8 TSI). However, if your friend plans to change the car in 3-4 years, then it might be fine to go for Ambition.
I agree that Ambition varient is pretty much barebones, however, his budget is around 16-17 lacs as of now (that too after stretching just for the sake of D segment) . He plans to buy in December to bring Ambition in his range. Also, he does frequently changes cars. His other car is just 3-3.5 years old and he wants to upgrade. I bet he would do the same again in the coming years.

That said, I too want to buy Octavia but I just want to spend Ambition amount to get a style one. Hope that happens by February 2020 when BSVI Gods bless us with some extra discounts.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:42   #3672
Senior - BHPian

As per the dealership here, the existing 1.8 Style variant is being discontinued. There is a new variant ONYX which is being introduced with cosmetic changes. However, no further details on the features and pricing is available. Hopefully, it should become clear in the next few days.

If anyone has more details, please post here. Might be an interesting option if Skoda prices it attractively along with good cosmetic changes (the Rapid Onyx edition looks good IMO)
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:31   #3673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per the dealership here, the existing 1.8 Style variant is being discontinued. There is a new variant ONYX which is being introduced with cosmetic changes.
Interesting news and clearly shows that Skoda us gearing up to sell off the remaining 1.8 Octavia kits in/enroute to India. This is the same tactic they used when they brought a few units of the all black Alcantara interior 'Zeal' variants (solf in the UK as the Black Edition), as well as a few Superbs with the Mocha brown interiors.
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:44   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting news and clearly shows that Skoda us gearing up to sell off the remaining 1.8 Octavia kits in/enroute to India. This is the same tactic they used when they brought a few units of the all black Alcantara interior 'Zeal' variants (solf in the UK as the Black Edition), as well as a few Superbs with the Mocha brown interiors.
In that case, I would have expected huge discounts on the 1.8 style, but looks like there is nothing special. As per the dealer, Skoda has mostly sold out all the existing stock of 1.8 style. Will wait for a few days before making up my mind.
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:01   #3675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In that case, I would have expected huge discounts on the 1.8 style, but looks like there is nothing special. As per the dealer, Skoda has mostly sold out all the existing stock of 1.8 style. Will wait for a few days before making up my mind.
Unlikely any major discounting will take place. They will steadily sell off all their BS-IV or MY18/19 vehicles in a prudent manner. In my experience, VW & Skoda are happier to face a lengthy 'stock-out' rather than have even 1 unsold unit with them

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd October 2019 at 16:04.

Most Viewed