Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2019, 07:59   #3691
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
The main issue right now is there are no style variants available in the factory or with most dealers. I've checked with 3 dealers and same response.

Has anyone found any in stock?
If you have decided on the 1.8 TSI style, why are you not going for the Onyx edition? My dealer is willing to accept booking for the Onyx edition and mentioned that the cars will be available within a week. For me, I would like at least 50K more discounts before making a decision.
Old 6th October 2019, 08:48   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
If you have decided on the 1.8 TSI style, why are you not going for the Onyx edition? My dealer is willing to accept booking for the Onyx edition and mentioned that the cars will be available within a week. For me, I would like at least 50K more discounts before making a decision.
I'm waiting for discounts on the onyx also. Had negotiated a good deal on the style and they suddenly stopped it. Now I'm pushing for some of the similar discounts. Any discount on onyx will be coming from the dealer end and not skoda.
Old 6th October 2019, 11:37   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Attaching the brochure I got from the dealer regarding the 2020 lineup for Octavia (includes Kodiaq as well). Here is the summary -
  • Ambition variant discontinued - So, whoever wants to pick up the Octavia at a cheap price, rush to the dealership NOW
  • Style variant available only in 1.4 TSI manual and 2.0 TDI manual transmission
  • New Onyx variant introduced with cosmetic changes over style variant lik eblack interiors, black alloys wheels etc introduced - available only in 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI auto transmission
  • Both Style and Onyx variant get electrically adjustable passenger seat.
  • Onyx variant available only in White, Red and Blue Colors
  • New Brown color introduced in L&K.

As I said, the Onyx variant sounds good as it is priced cheaper than the style but in reality, the onroad price is more due to no or very less discounts. I will take a call once I see the Onyx variant in person.
Also, the dealer mentioned Onyx has Alcantara seats but the brochure does not mention the same. So, I have my doubts.
If anybody is able to get a hold of the Onyx variant, please post the pictures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf octavia MY20 Product and Changes (Aurangabad Cars).pdf (1.05 MB, 606 views)

Last edited by adimicra : 6th October 2019 at 11:40.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 12:35   #3694
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see no mention at all of EU-6 or BS-VI compliance. I would have thought they would have stated it given the rapidly approaching deadline coupled with their 2-3 month logistics chain.
Old 6th October 2019, 13:45   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised to see no mention at all of EU-6 or BS-VI compliance. I would have thought they would have stated it given the rapidly approaching deadline coupled with their 2-3 month logistics chain.
This I believe more of marketing strategy to clean up the bs 4 inventory. My SA was clear enough to give me insights on it in-directly. With major announcements on bs6 made now, buyers tend to hold the decision.

In my case I will end up buying Bs 4 Octavia 1.8 TSI or Tiguan 2.0 TDI, I am waiting for the TD of Octavia in couple of days, again the dealer started using one TD vehicle for his 2 branches which shows how soon they want to clean up stocks. End of day enthusiasts should make a quick call and go ahead to bag the discounts and also last stocks (of 1.8 TSI)
lokii_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 15:28   #3696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
End of day enthusiasts should make a quick call and go ahead to bag the discounts and also last stocks (of 1.8 TSI)
Agree, in fact I suspect they will not even BS-VI the 1.8. Strategy well be to sell off all BS-IV inventory by April and bring in the new Octavia in maybe August 2020.

If the vRS rumours are true they may bring in the EU6 vRS in CKD form with a limited run in early 2020.

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th October 2019 at 15:34.
Old 6th October 2019, 16:57   #3697
BHPian

Quote:

As I said, the Onyx variant sounds good as it is priced cheaper than the style but in reality, the onroad price is more due to no or very less discounts. I will take a call once I see the Onyx variant in person.
Also, the dealer mentioned Onyx has Alcantara seats but the brochure does not mention the same. So, I have my doubts.
If anybody is able to get a hold of the Onyx variant, please post the pictures.
I was told the same by my sales guy about the Alcantara seats. I'm ok with black seats as long as they are leather or Alcantara. Never seen Skoda give cloth seats in India or black leather so odds are its Alcantara. It may be too big a risk for them to give cloth seats at that price point.

Agree on the pricing. Its working out to be around 70-80k more expensive for the Onyx without a loyalty bonus compared to the discounted Styles.
Old 6th October 2019, 18:25   #3698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Is it confirmed that the Onyx variant is going to be 19.99L ex-showroom?
If so, that should decrease the road tax calculation as well as it is less than 20L. Bangalore road taxation is 17% for cars between 10-20L and then 18% for 20L and above. This would mean additional 30k savings on the Onyx over the Style.
As vickyP has correctly pointed out, buyers in KA can factor this savings in as well. Unsure about other states.

In BLR at least, RTOs are calculating taxes and cesses on the SRP/list price, i.e. regardless of the discount offered.

From the Skoda UK page, it looks like the normal Octavia gets black 'microsuede' & leather while the vRS exclusively gets Alcantara and leather.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191006182754.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191006182907.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th October 2019 at 18:31.
Old 6th October 2019, 18:28   #3699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
This I believe more of marketing strategy to clean up the bs 4 inventory. My SA was clear enough to give me insights on it in-directly. With major announcements on bs6 made now, buyers tend to hold the decision.

In my case I will end up buying Bs 4 Octavia 1.8 TSI or Tiguan 2.0 TDI, I am waiting for the TD of Octavia in couple of days, again the dealer started using one TD vehicle for his 2 branches which shows how soon they want to clean up stocks. End of day enthusiasts should make a quick call and go ahead to bag the discounts and also last stocks (of 1.8 TSI)
Yes, stock clearance for sure. Actually, the Onyx edition increased my interest in the Octavia as I like the black interiors and the Alcantara seats would be awesome. Sadly, discounts on the 1.8 TSI style are gone otherwise I would have booked probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree, in fact I suspect they will not even BS-VI the 1.8. Strategy well be to sell off all BS-IV inventory by April and bring in the new Octavia in maybe August 2020.

If the vRS rumours are true they may bring in the EU6 vRS in CKD form with a limited run in early 2020.
I am pretty sure that Skoda will NOT make the effort to convert 1.8 TSI or any existing engines to BS6. They will get the new Octavia by mid of next year or so. Even the Skoda India boss told clearly that they want to get the new Octavia to India as soon as possible.

The BS6 strategy of all VW/SKoda cars have been kept under wraps. I believe none of the current engines - 1.6 MPI petrol, 1.2 TSI, 1.5 TDI, 2.0 TDi, 1.8 TSI are going to be BS6 compliant. Skoda/VW have also said that they don't want to go the diesel way in the future. I think they might get the 1.0 and 1.5 TSI engines to power their lineup post APril 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I was told the same by my sales guy about the Alcantara seats. I'm ok with black seats as long as they are leather or Alcantara. Never seen Skoda give cloth seats in India or black leather so odds are its Alcantara. It may be too big a risk for them to give cloth seats at that price point.

Agree on the pricing. Its working out to be around 70-80k more expensive for the Onyx without a loyalty bonus compared to the discounted Styles.
I agree, it should be Alcantara only. However, I would like to see the car in person. Even the alloys seem to be some new black alloys which I have never seen. So, better to have a look and decide whether it is worth paying the price. They should have given the black roof and full black grill to complete the black theme.

People like us who are interested in the 1.8 TSI style/onyx are in a difficult situation - should we wait for some discounts or book right away? There is a chance that we might get more discounts but there is also a chance that Skoda is getting limited stock which will sell out pretty quickly. Difficult choice.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 18:33   #3700
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, it should be Alcantara only. However, I would like to see the car in person. Even the alloys seem to be some new black alloys which I have never seen. So, better to have a look and decide whether it is worth paying the price. They should have given the black roof and full black grill to complete the black theme.

People like us who are interested in the 1.8 TSI style/onyx are in a difficult situation - should we wait for some discounts or book right away? There is a chance that we might get more discounts but there is also a chance that Skoda is getting limited stock which will sell out pretty quickly. Difficult choice.
The lack of stock is a concern for me also. This also applies to the Tiguan by the way. They only have about 10-20 kits left for the Comfortline. Blue and Black have already sold out.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 22:44   #3701
BHPian

Hi all!

Paid a visit to Akoya Skoda, Baner, Pune today.
I’m looking to book the Octavia TSi L&K tomorrow. (7th Oct 19).
The final offered price with the 6year warranty they’ve given me is 26.26 lac.

Need some advice wrt the following :

Finance offered is through Skoda (9.4%) and hdfc/icici banks both apparently at (9%). Any experience on either?

Colours currently offered on the L&K (as per the dealer) are white, black, grey, beige and silver. Anyone seen a beige Octy yet? And are the colours actually limited to these shades now?
There was a rapid of the same colour (beige) in the showroom what with all the lights to enhance the looks. Just wondering how it’ll look in natural lighting.

Lastly, and of-course this could’ve been saved up for later, what is the most apt replacement for the stock Goodyears 205/55/16s?

After the Ford Fusion, then the GT TSi, my heart has been set for this one for a very very long time.
I had actually walked in to have a look at the Superb MT. Thanks to spending half my life at sea, I’ve now discovered that variant being discontinued.

Anyways, any inputs ideas are welcome at this 11th hour. And here’s hoping for a smooth transaction!!!

Cheers!!
Old 6th October 2019, 23:14   #3702
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
This seems to be a great price! I got one a couple of weeks back, didn't get this good a deal though.

Quote:
Colours currently offered on the L&K (as per the dealer) are white, black, grey, beige and silver. Anyone seen a beige Octy yet? And are the colours actually limited to these shades now?
There was no Silver two weeks back!

Quote:
Lastly, and of-course this could’ve been saved up for later, what is the most apt replacement for the stock Goodyears 205/55/16s?
Michelin P4ST, these were out of stock till a week back, hopefully back in market by the time you get your car. I actually experimented with MRF Perfinza, don't think they are as silent as Michelin P3ST that I have on my GT Tsi, but seem decent and soft so far.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 23:48   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There was a rapid of the same colour (beige) in the showroom what with all the lights to enhance the looks. Just wondering how it’ll look in natural lighting.
Cheers!!
Hey, I have seen the Beige on road, and it looks like a metallic Steel Grey that came with the VRS recently, I had to double check on the car as I thought its a VRS but it was just an L&K in fact. The colour looks very good not he road, well highlighted by the dark tint on head-tail lights. If its available, you'll have some what of a uniqueness to it. But IMO, Silver is the best colour that brings out the creases and cuts of a car's body work. But my heart still pumps for BLACK! My car still looks great and factory paint quality is one of the best in India.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 00:46   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
This seems to be a great price! I got one a couple of weeks back, didn't get this good a deal though.

There was no Silver two weeks back!

Michelin P4ST, these were out of stock till a week back, hopefully back in market by the time you get your car. I actually experimented with MRF Perfinza, don't think they are as silent as Michelin P3ST that I have on my GT Tsi, but seem decent and soft so far.
Thank you! I’ll try and have a word with a Michelin guy close to where I’m at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey, I have seen the Beige on road, and it looks like a metallic Steel Grey that came with the VRS recently, I had to double check on the car as I thought its a VRS but it was just an L&K in fact. The colour looks very good not he road, well highlighted by the dark tint on head-tail lights. If its available, you'll have some what of a uniqueness to it. But IMO, Silver is the best colour that brings out the creases and cuts of a car's body work. But my heart still pumps for BLACK! My car still looks great and factory paint quality is one of the best in India.
Thanks buddy!
I agree on the silver, though I feel it gives the car a more corporate look! (For the lack of a better word).
Yes, I guessed the beige would look something like that! And black is brilliant. How have you managed to maintain it with traffic snarls almost everywhere?! It’s one of the first snaps on this thread, and I’m almost tempted, grey being the next best thing.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:20   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all!

Paid a visit to Akoya Skoda, Baner, Pune today.
I’m looking to book the Octavia TSi L&K tomorrow. (7th Oct 19).

Cheers!!
Congratulations on the car buddy.
Can you please share what was the discount offered?
About the colors, there is new maple brown color mentioned in the brochure I have attached. It is a new color and will have certain exclusivity. You might want to consider that.

I would also like to know why you went for the L&K variant. L&K costs 3.3 lakhs on road more than the Style. Additional features are - sunroof, virtual cockpit, better speakers, rear side airbags - all good to have but the price difference looks very steep to me.

About the loans, go for a floating one as interest rates are in a downward direction.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed