Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2019, 18:33   #3736
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guys, asking one more time as I did not get any response
"I forgot to check in my TD - does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?"
All DSG versions have, yes! See the Electronic Driving Aid section.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191012183251.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 19:13   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, asking one more time as I did not get any response
"I forgot to check in my TD - does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?"
Yes it does, but with the automatic doing a better job of shifting gears than you really can, you hardly will use it. Also, shifting through 7 gears is tricky.
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 20:19   #3738
BHPian

I wonder why Skoda never offered the Octavia 1.8TSI in manual like they do with the Superb. The Torque also gets bumped up to 320NM compared to the 250NM with the DSG.
sweetvar26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 20:23   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I wonder why Skoda never offered the Octavia 1.8TSI in manual like they do with the Superb. The Torque also gets bumped up to 320NM compared to the 250NM with the DSG.
Just because no one in the D segment buys petrol manuals.Offering a 1.4TSI manual itself was a big thing.
Old 12th October 2019, 23:44   #3740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
6 speed DSG that comes with TDI is reliable one and I have been using this since four and half years.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will be taking test drive of the diesel DSG only since the dealer in Ahmedabad is having the DSG variants only as TD vehicles.

Sumesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The 2.0TDi comes with the DQ250 which is the 6 speed wet clutch DSG. This is a very reliable gearbox and seldom fails.
Yes, I understand your point and thank you for pointing out the difference between the DSG in TSI and TDI.

I will be taking TD of the diesel DSG. However as of now I am thinking of going for the manual option as I really was missing the feel of having full control and command over the car whenever I drove an automatic. I had a test drive of the Vento 1.2 TSI DSG. Yes, the initial a acceleration and seamless shifts were really exciting. So my reluctance to opt for the DSG may be partly mechanical and partly psychological.

Thanks,

Sumesh

Last edited by bblost : 13th October 2019 at 00:23.
Old 12th October 2019, 23:58   #3741
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Yes it does, but with the automatic doing a better job of shifting gears than you really can, you hardly will use it. Also, shifting through 7 gears is tricky.
To me it is a much needed feature. DSG is very unresponsive in downshifting in D mode when in need, therefore when you need the punch the left shifter is what you need.

I have shifters in my Polo GT TSI and have used them quite extensively.

Last edited by SLK : 12th October 2019 at 23:59.
Old 13th October 2019, 07:23   #3742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
To me it is a much needed feature. DSG is very unresponsive in downshifting in D mode when in need, therefore when you need the punch the left shifter is what you need.

I have shifters in my Polo GT TSI and have used them quite extensively.

Somehow I would like to disagree. The shifting on the DSG is based on a progressive learning feature & varies over time. If you use the vehicle in Manual mode for few days & then switch to D, you'll see a difference. Also, you'll see a difference even if you keep using vehicle in D over time. So, if in case there is a change in drivers regularly, it is possible that you need to drive it for some time to get back the same shift ranges.
Old 13th October 2019, 08:49   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the clarification about paddle shifts. For me, it is definitely a plus. The DSG may be smart but having the control at your fingertips is always a ncie thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Just because no one in the D segment buys petrol manuals.Offering a 1.4TSI manual itself was a big thing.
Having driven the 1.4 TSI manual and 1.8 TSI DSG both, I can tell you that the 1.4 TSI is an excellent motor with great performance. There is a little tubo lag at lower rpms but post that, it flies. In fact, the 0-100 time of 8.2 sec is just marginally slower than the 1.8 TSI DSG. Also, the gearbox is slick and joy to use. For people who are looking to buy the Octavia on a limited budget and don't mind the manual, this is an excellent option. On top of it, you get the DSG headache out of your mind.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 19:34   #3744
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev911 View Post
Somehow I would like to disagree. The shifting on the DSG is based on a progressive learning feature & varies over time. If you use the vehicle in Manual mode for few days & then switch to D, you'll see a difference. Also, you'll see a difference even if you keep using vehicle in D over time. So, if in case there is a change in drivers regularly, it is possible that you need to drive it for some time to get back the same shift ranges.
At least 65k kms on the GT TSI, I didn't see DSG learning much, it does adapt for a short while, but nothing more. Still my point is nothing to do with DSG learning, it is only to say DSG doesn't downshift when you want it to (unless you stamp the A pedal and then wait for it to happen!) and the peddle shift is so handy (literally).

I looked at and bought the Octavia with a pre-condition that it had to have peddle shifters. I had to import and install the GTI steering wheel on the GT TSI too for peddle shifters.
Old 15th October 2019, 06:30   #3745

Hi, quick help please. Ordered a Quartz Grey 1.8 TSI L&K on 5 October - likely to get delivered next week. The dealer just shared the VIN number and it's a May 2019 manufacture. Does a 4-5 month gap between manufacture and sale sound okay? Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 09:34   #3746
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatinV View Post
Hi, quick help please. Ordered a Quartz Grey 1.8 TSI L&K on 5 October - likely to get delivered next week. The dealer just shared the VIN number and it's a May 2019 manufacture. Does a 4-5 month gap between manufacture and sale sound okay? Thanks
I would normally think yes, its ok. I got mine 3 weeks back and it was June manufactured.

Did you get a message from Skoda that the car has been allocated to you and you may contact your dealer for delivery. I think it normally means its left the Skoda facility and travelling to your dealer.

And I have a question for owners: Does the 12v lighter port never power off? I installed a dash cam, parked the car and later realised that it never went off, it kept recording for all the 30 hours, when the car was under the cover.

Last edited by SLK : 15th October 2019 at 09:45. Reason: added my question
Old 15th October 2019, 10:19   #3747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And I have a question for owners: Does the 12v lighter port never power off? I installed a dash cam, parked the car and later realised that it never went off, it kept recording for all the 30 hours, when the car was under the cover.
Correct, the 12v connection and the hazard indicators NEVER power off. Be careful with whatever you have connected to the former.

I had a similar scare with a plug-in USB charger which nearly melted overnight, as it was powering a mobile phone (which itself had a very weak battery and hence charging all the time).
Old 15th October 2019, 11:37   #3748
BHPian

Folks - need help in deciding and reaching out to existing owners on their feedback (and DQ200 Reliability) on the cars and their decision making process.

My current drive is a 2013 VW Vento TDI highline, and my usage is low and limited to weekend and occasional Highway drives. My Vento's avg. usage was 7500 KM a year.

I personally prefer manual cars, have driven auto cars and not averse to them, but DQ200 long term reliability sends shivers down my spine.

Variants Considered in no particular order.

Octavia Oynx 1.8 TSI Auto
  • Lovely Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, enhances the sporty feel
  • Black Interiors, a big refresh from Vento's beige
  • Lovely R16 Black Premia alloys and spoliler
  • Auto is wife friendly with 27 extra horses on the 1.8
  • DQ200 ?

Octavia Style 1.4 TSI Manual
  • Cheaper and Discounted compared to Oynx
  • Peace of Mind with no DQ200
  • Higher Fuel Efficiency
  • Concerns around performance, Responsiveness and the Independent suspension thats available only on 1.8. Will i have a buyers remorse ?

Octavia Style 2.0 TDI Manual
  • Peace of Mind with no DQ200 and reliable DQ250
  • Highest Fuel Efficiency
  • Not particularly concerned around performance.
  • 2.5L Premium over the Style Petrol.

Wife claims Octavia Style Interiors are more less the same as Vento and appears as an elder sibling

Last edited by rauldsouza : 15th October 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Removed extra words
Old 15th October 2019, 12:26   #3749
Senior - BHPian

With the new Octavia coming up in 2020, best bet would be to wait if possible. If that's not possible, pick up the 1.8 TSI as that's the real USP of the Octavia (new Octavia will get a downsized lower powered 1.5 TSI ). Skoda offers 6 year warranty, so that should take care of the DQ200 issues, if any. I did quite a bit of research on the DQ200 reliability and it seems to me that issues have definitely reduced in the recent past. There are some excellent threads in this forum about DSG and some of the best practices to be followed to ensure better reliability and life of the gearbox. The 1.8 TSI is also the only one to come with multi-link rear suspension.
Buying the diesel for your usage does not make sense to me. And 1.4 will always feel like a compromise to you.

Personally, I did not like the colors and modifications on the Onyx variant (bit more flashy for my taste). But if it works for you, then please go ahead.
And Octavia interiors feels 1 or 2 steps more premium than the Vento, no comparison.

----------
Another point to note is that Octavia practically has no competition in this segment as there are no other high performance driver focussed cars after VW has discontinued the Jetta. I think this is the main reason of the high-handed nature of the Skoda dealers and very less discounts on the Octavia even though it is at end of life.

Last edited by adimicra : 15th October 2019 at 12:34.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 10:42   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
With the new Octavia coming up in 2020, best bet would be to wait if possible.
Cant seem to hold on any longer, i am also not certain when the new Octavia makes it way to India. We are still waiting on the new Superb, but perhaps dependent on BSVI.

Quote:
Personally, I did not like the colors and modifications on the Onyx variant (bit more flashy for my taste). But if it works for you, then please go ahead.
I prefer the candy white. the flat bottom steering feels good to touch and drive, compared to regular which is comparatively bigger

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks