Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 11:14   #3766
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
I wanted some help on deciding between the manual variants of Octavia 1.4 TSI and 2 TDI.
Sumesh, I own neither but have a 1.8 instead. Looks like your heart is on the 2.0 TDI but mind is on the 1.4 TSI. Go for the 2.0 as it's a much more powerful engine and is bulletproof as such, especially when combined with the manual gearbox.

The ONLY drawback is the sense in buying a BS-IV diesel in October 2019. Everything else is a winner for the 2.0 TDI.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 16:21   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sumesh, I own neither but have a 1.8 instead. Looks like your heart is on the 2.0 TDI but mind is on the 1.4 TSI.
Thank you for the suggestion, definitely helpful for me to take a decision. I will be finalizing in few days.

The planned implementation of BS-VI from April 2019 is applicable for all engine options irrespective of Petrol or Diesel and if I am not wrong, choosing either of the options today will carry equal concern.

Thanks

Sumesh

Last edited by bblost : 21st October 2019 at 16:36. Reason: Fixed tag.
Old 21st October 2019, 16:47   #3768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The planned implementation of BS-VI from April 2019 is applicable for all engine options irrespective of Petrol or Diesel and if I am not wrong, choosing either of the options today will carry equal concern.
Apologies, wasn't clear enough on the higher risk of the diesel. I was referring to the added threat of the NGT / MoRTH banning registration of big diesels in metros thereby further hitting already falling resale values.

But I am a believer in living in the present. Resale is dependent on far too many things way beyond anyone's control!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 21:01   #3769
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 things to consider

1) 1.4 TSI will be discontinued and replaced by 1.5TSI
2) 2.0 diesel will become more expensive with BSVI
3) Like in NCR the NGT might ban diesels from running more than 10 years, BS IV is much more at risk compared to BS VI.

If saving some money is an objective and you are happy with a poor resale of a discontinued engine, go for it.

I'd prefer petrol, just for the sheer refinement but you should find a way to test drive in another city! maybe.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 21:54   #3770
Distinguished - BHPian

Or test drive the A3 or A4 to get a feel of the engine alone. Albeit, I think they both have the Tiptronic DSG so no manual. However, you can always stick it in the manual sports mode and partly replicate the 'manual' feel.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 23:56   #3771
Senior - BHPian

I did a 45 min test drive of the 1.4 TSI manual and was thoroughly impressed. I was also worried about the turbo lag but I did not notice it much. The car picks up speed from low rpms pretty well, it is extremely refined and rev happy. The midrange is extremely strong and I had a smile on my face revving the engine during the test drive. Please note that the peak torque of 250 Nm is same as the bigger 1.8 TSI and available from as low as 1500 rpm. If I were you, I would pick up the 1.4 TSI as I love the refinement and high-revving nature of the petrol motor. The 2.0 TDI is punchy enough but I don't like the refinement of the engine.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 00:18   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies, wasn't clear enough on the higher risk of the diesel.
Never, no need to feel apologetic, you are absolutely right in the mention on higher risk for diesel cars with respect to the emission norms.
Thank you for emphasising on that point. I should be considering that since I will be keeping the new car for a long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
3 things to consider
Thank you for the support and concern. I will definitely be considering your suggestions.

And yes, I also really feel the same regarding the superior refinement of TSI engine.

Thanks and regards

Quote:
Or test drive the A3 or A4 to get a feel of the engine alone.
I was thinking of going for that, however I am lacking the confidence to the walk into a Audi showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I did a 45 min test drive of the 1.4 TSI manual and was thoroughly impressed.
Thank you for sharing the TD experience of the 1.4 TSI. The sales executive at Skoda who had driven the 1.4 TSI earlier also has shared very similar experience.

With the truly valuable suggestions from the members here, I find that my priorities are changing and I hope to take a better decision.

Yesterday I invited the Skoda sales executive to my place with the car for I wanted to make sure that the car comfortably fits into my parking space which is slightly narrow and with a sharp curve before the entry.

He came in the evening with Octavia and could very easily park the car in the allotted parking. I told him that I will be visiting the showroom tomorrow, will take a TD of both TSI and TDI again and finalize the engine option then and there.

The car he brought to my place was a 1.8 TSI DSG. Before he left I took a short drive in the car in the area where I stay and on roads where I travel daily (in the Honda Jazz).

That drive I think has changed all my priorities. Though I had a test drive in the same car yesterday, it was in unfamiliar roads and in heavy traffic. This time it was all different. The drive was truly mesmerizing. So smooth and seamless, yet so powerful and elegant. Also I could really feel the difference over bumps and potholes as compared to the experience in my daily drive in Jazz.

The drive experience was so good that I am even thinking of comprising on my adamant insisting for a manual transmission and go for the 1.8 TSI DSG. I am so impressed that I'm even ready to take the risk factor associated with DSG.

Now with this change in mind I'm now thinking of going for the Onyx TSI which has that very tempting flat bottom steering and black interior. Plus it has the explosive 1.8 engine and no worries in the performance department.

It was the from the advice from the members in this forum and from a test drive over roads which I'm quite familiar with that changed the whole thinking I suppose.

I'm very impulsive in taking decisions. Please advice whether I'm taking a decision in the right direction.

Thanks and regards,

Sumesh

Mod Note: Please read the FAQ to understand quoting posts

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2019 at 17:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:10   #3773
Senior - BHPian

With a 6-year warranty in place, there's hardly anything that you would regret in terms of unexpected failures. A docile 1.4 or an explosive 1.8 depends on the driver and the funds available. If it's not a pinch and you will not crib about the mileage you get, have fun with the 1.8 than settling for the 1.4.

Personal preferences matter at this point more than what fellow members feel.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:07   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
I'm very impulsive in taking decisions. Please advice whether I'm taking a decision in the right direction.

Mod Note: Please read the FAQ to understand quoting posts
Your buying process feels just like the one I went through 3 years ago. I wanted to go for 1.8 TSI but went for 1.4 TSI. It was our first car and it was Skoda.

But guess the times have changed. I haven't seen any DSG failures and my experience with Skoda service has been exceptional.
And now Skoda comes with 6 years warranty.

If I have to buy the Octavia all over again, I would buy the 1.8TSI/2.0TSI DSG.

1.4 TSI is a gem of an engine. But the convenience of DSG is something else, especially for someone who drives the car for daily commute in metro cities. I don't commute for work, so driving a manual 1.4T doesn't bother me that much.

Here is an advice from a 1.4 TSI owner: if you want to save yourself from the buyer's remorse for the next 3-4 years, buy 1.8T DSG.

Last edited by livezero : 22nd October 2019 at 08:27.
livezero is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:33   #3775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
If I have to buy the Octavia all over again, I would buy the 1.8TSI/2.0TSI DSG.

Here is an advice from a 1.4 TSI owner: if you want to save yourself from the buyer's remorse for the next 3-4 years, buy 1.8T DSG.
Don't think you need any further information from current or past owners . Now up to you.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:24   #3776
Senior - BHPian

I also started with looking at the 1.4 TSI manual as I wanted to avoid the hassles and problems with the DQ200. But after several test drives and experiencing the ease and smoothness of the power delivery of the 1.8 TSI DSG, I changed my mind. I did research a lot of the DSG issues and my belief is that the number of DSG failures have come down considerably in the recent years and with a little bit of precautions while driving, the chances of failure are even less. Also, Skoda is providing 6 years warranty which will take care of DSG failures, if at all. So, my suggestions is - If you want to buy the Octavia, it has to be the 1.8TSI DSG combo, nothing else . At the end, it all boild down to your risk taking appetite as the DSG unit is still not something I would rate as 'reliable'

PS - I did end up buying another separate car and not the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG though I was sold on the car but that's more due to the dealership experience and some other reasons rather than the car itself.

Last edited by adimicra : 22nd October 2019 at 11:33.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:33   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
With a 6-year warranty in place, there's hardly anything that you would regret in terms of unexpected failures.
As you have mentioned, mileage is not a deal breaker for me as I will be taking out the new car for occasional long trips. Thank you for the suggestion and yes, the warranty from Skoda gives a feeling of assurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Your buying process feels just like the one I went through 3 years ago.
Thank you for the very explicit recommendation, very much valued since it is from the owner of a 1.4 TSI.

Quote:
Don't think you need any further information from current or past owners
Very true,

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I also started with looking at the 1.4 TSI manual as I wanted to avoid the hassles and problems with the DQ200.
As you have mentioned there are very few case of recent DSG failures, plus the warranty from Skoda is giving me the confidence to go ahead.

And finally as suggested by most of the fellow members and from the test drive experience, I have decided to go for the magical TSI DSG combo. I will be going for the Onyx Edition. Although I am going to miss the fun from manual shifting, looking forward for the magical acceleration from the 1.8 TSI.

I will be updating shortly on the booking details. Thank you all for the wonderful help , support and very valuable guidance, appreciate this forum a lot.

Sumesh

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd October 2019 at 15:34. Reason: fixing quote tags
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:29   #3778

Hello all,

I have been following this forum and this thread for a long time and this is in fact my first post on this forum.

I am thanking you all for helping me in my purchase decision of buying a new Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K - Magic Black. This forum has literally helped me assess every aspect of this car without actually driving it or seeing it. I thank you all once again.

I took delivery of my car two days ago, I am considering to go for XPEL PPF with paint correction as it is a black car. I need your thoughts on this.

I have changed my tyres to Michelin P4ST, same size. I would like to know is there any advantages of using speed 97 fuel on this car.

Are there any negatives of using speed 97, apart from price?

Is there a run in period, as in do I have to keep the engine below 2000 rpm? It’s actually difficult to keep it below 2000 rpm.

Once again, I thank you all. I am very happy and it’s a beautiful car.

Best,
Prem
Old 26th October 2019, 15:05   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
Hello all,

Are there any negatives of using speed 97, apart from price?

Is there a run in period, as in do I have to keep the engine below 2000 rpm? It’s actually difficult to keep it below 2000 rpm.
Congratulations on your purchase! Please share some pictures for the rest of us to drool over.

I have experienced the 1.8 TSI on normal as well as Speed97 fuel and although it is not required, the engine does run marginally but noticeably smoother with Speed97. You can also expect a little better fuel efficiency but not enough to negate the higher cost of the fuel. I usually tank up on Speed97 before taking the car on the track but run normal fuel otherwise.

For the run in, I would recommend keeping the car under 4000 rpm which should be easier and gradually raise the revs as the kms climb over the 1000 mark. Or you could be like my childhood best friend and go foot to the floor right from the showroom gate, as there are no real punishment from the manufacturer for driving pedal to the metal from the get go.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 15:10   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car! There's actually full detail on running in the engine in the manual. As far as I remember it suggests you keep the engine at varying speeds/rpms. Not to drive at a constant speed at all times. I think the run in period is 1500 kms. Do not exceed 60% of the cars top speed that is roughly 130 km/h during this period, and do not accelerate till the red line in any mode.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed