Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:50   #3961
SLK
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Just a couple of clarifications, what care does the DSG need. I would understand, you should treat it like you would treat a manual gearbox... i.e. bring it N at red lights and during traffic crawls. Anything else that should be kept in mind ?
I dont think there is a definite answer to this, but my POLO GT is still going strong at about 70k kms.

Apart from what you mentioned, I practice 3 more things out of habit,
1) drive in manual at speeds where DSG over-plays with gear changes
2) drive in manual when in hurry and driving is very erratic.
3) no aggressive starts from standstill till the clutch is not fully engaged.

My DSG experience with Polo have me the confidence to invest in it again with the Octavia and I'm loving it.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:15   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
I'm getting the delivery of the Onyx edition on Monday and as per my dealer (Jai Auto) there are hardly any stocks of the BS 4 1.8 TSI left.
Hi Buddy, Could you share the deal / discounts you got from Jai Auto for Onyx ? Which branch did you buy it from ? Would appreciate your inputs on it. Cheers !

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2019 at 09:19. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:32   #3963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
End of the day, the 1.8 Octavia far exceeds the performance and luxury envelope of the current Civic, and one should enjoy it instead of worrying unnecessarily. I really didn't mean to scare anyone!
Then why are you even contemplating a Kia?

The only reason I am finalizing one now is after reading your posts here and how good your Rio red one looks. Then I go and see your post in Kia thread which was my other choice.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd December 2019 at 10:51.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:19   #3964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Then why are you even contemplating a Kia?

The only reason I am finalizing one now is after reading your posts here and how good your Rio red one looks. Then I go and see your post in Kia thread which was my other choice.
Haha, good point! Contrary to GTO's popular thread, I'm feeling the itch to upgrade, but don't have the moolah to go for a "true" upgrade to the bad boys like the 330i, C300 or even a 530D.

Our second vehicle, a 1.5 year old Creta E+ (exclusively for chauffeured use) is irritatingly bumpy at the back. SO, I was thinking of handing over ny immaculate Octy 1.8 TSI to the chauffeur (yes I know!), and buying something like a Seltos for now, and then upgrade in 2/3 years time to one of the big daddies.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:53   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
SO, I was thinking of handing over ny immaculate Octy 1.8 TSI to the chauffeur
Another thought, why not keep the Octy for yourself and get the family a Hexa. You will get a great deal now and your family will thank you forever.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:55   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Buddy, Could you share the deal / discounts you got from Jai Auto for Onyx ? Which branch did you buy it from ? Would appreciate your inputs on it. Cheers !
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20191202_104150.jpg

The offer was for the Octavia Onyx edition when I booked the car last month. Not sure if the same offers are available now.
Contact Person: Mr. Keshav Kumar (Sales Manager) Jai Auto (East Delhi).
Cell: 7290994000.
Almetal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:06   #3967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Gentlemen,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and could do with some advise from the experienced Octavia / Laura owners. After a thorough test driving of both Honda Civic petrol & the Octavia 1.8Tsi, my family seems to prefer the Octavia over the civic mainly the way it drives and also its overall understated look & feel.

Perhaps some of the long term owners of Laura and Octavia cars can shed some light on their experience with Skoda. Spending around 23-25 L is an expensive proposition for me, so whatever advise that I can receive from experienced Octavia/ Laura owners would be well appreciated.

Cheers Gentlemen & look forward to your views!
Hi there!

We are proud owners of a 2014 (September) Octavia 1.8 TSI. The car has completed close to 50k on the odo and is going strong.

We have not experienced any trouble as such from the gearbox or the car in general. We did have a sensor failure that rendered the car stationary for two weeks.

Also, you have to be prepared for higher maintenance costs and parts that could hurt the wallet in the long run.

Other than this issue, and of course the car's severe drinking problems (it consumes oil like nobody's business, especially if running is low), our experience has been good *touchwood*.

Incidentally, we upgraded to the Octavia from a Civic that we had bought in 2006, and the Honda ownership has been rather uneventful in comparison.

If you have the patience and inclination that our D-BHPian Nikhil has (he personally visits, inspects and over-sees the service of his car at the workshop), the Octavia is a great buy.

So good that you will have trouble finding a substantial upgrade for it in the future - a problem that we are facing at the moment.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:50   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Attachment 1941150

The offer was for the Octavia Onyx edition when I booked the car last month. Not sure if the same offers are available now.
Contact Person: Mr. Keshav Kumar (Sales Manager) Jai Auto (East Delhi).
Cell: 7290994000.
Many Thanks, Buddy ! Yes this is the same offer that I am getting also.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:59   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of my Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI yesterday. Drove only for about 20 KMS or so until now. Replacing OEM tyres with Michelin P4S today, thanks to lot of recommendations in this forum.

Few notes:
  • Dealership did not give me any fuel coupon. At the time of delivery the range was showing 120 KMS. After driving 20 KMS range dropped to 80 KMS.
  • If you are going for Onyx, once sit in the car of the same variant and see if you are comfortable with all black interiors. Even the roof liner is black. My previous Cruze had all black interiors but there are some pieces like roof liner which were in grey creating more airy environment.
  • The owners manual is an universal manual for all the 3rd generation Octavias worldwide. Little confusing in identifying what is supported in your car and what is not supported. Would have appreciated if they provided an additional leaflet to point to the correct pages in the manual for my specific variant, or a clear identification in manual what features are required to operate a certain setting.
  • Could get to my perfect seat settings very easily.
  • Initially BT was only picking music streaming from my Google Pixel 2XL. But a quick restart of the phone fixed it.
  • Know about this since I started planning for this car. Missing the holder for sunglasses. A huge dummy cover at the center of the roof where the holder is always in your sight with no purpose to it.
  • In general Onyx / Style has many dummy covers reminding you all the features you are missing.
  • Did not figure out how to answer or reject a call from steering wheel.
  • The flat bottom steering wheel in Onyx feels very nice to grip.
satish_appasani is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:28   #3970
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Just a couple of clarifications, what care does the DSG need. I would understand, you should treat it like you would treat a manual gearbox... i.e. bring it N at red lights and during traffic crawls. Anything else that should be kept in mind ? Also does the belly scrape often in the car over speed bumps. It did scrape a couple of times during my test drive with a load of 4 people, but then I believe the test vehicles are often abused by inconsiderate drivers. My test vehicle had 14K on the odo.
Yes it is better to follow those standard advices for the DSG. But remember there are no guarantees. My usage is mostly on highways and I follow those standard DSG precautions but even then it failed. So my advice here is to make peace with it and be mentally prepared.

With 2 passengers for most of the Bangalore humps I don't see an issue. But if it is fully loaded, then yes you have to be careful on how you negotiate the humps and in some cases you are helpless.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:27   #3971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Got delivery of my Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI yesterday. Drove only for about 20 KMS or so until now. Replacing OEM tyres with Michelin P4S today, thanks to lot of recommendations in this forum.

Few notes:
  • Dealership did not give me any fuel coupon. At the time of delivery the range was showing 120 KMS. After driving 20 KMS range dropped to 80 KMS.
  • If you are going for Onyx, once sit in the car of the same variant and see if you are comfortable with all black interiors. Even the roof liner is black. My previous Cruze had all black interiors but there are some pieces like roof liner which were in grey creating more airy environment.
  • The flat bottom steering wheel in Onyx feels very nice to grip.
I agree fully with your take on the black roof liner - Skoda should have given it a light grey colour. Although Black is the theme of the car, both inside and outside, the grey roof would have lightened up the interiors and made it look bigger than it actually is.

The flat bottomed steering looks fab and makes the interior very stylish.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 16:54. Reason: Spacing fir improved readability
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:27   #3972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi there!
Other than this issue, and of course the car's severe drinking problems (it consumes oil like nobody's business, especially if running is low), our experience has been good *touchwood*.
Many thanks for your response which I really do appreciate. Didn't quite get the above, when you say "drinking problem when running is low", do you mean fuel or engine oil?
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 21:03   #3973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for your response which I really do appreciate. Didn't quite get the above, when you say "drinking problem when running is low", do you mean fuel or engine oil?
@sud, lambydude, suhaas: don't scare off the newbies by revealing so much. Let them get into the pipe first .

On a serious note, the 1.8 TSI is known for guzzling engine oil in the first year, so the grizzled folk keep a 500ml bot of engine oil in the boot and top up each month. I did a healthy 12K km in the first year so topped up only once.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:02   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian

A new video from Skoda CZ on how they ship the SKD kits to IN:

This was the original one posted 2 years ago:

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd December 2019 at 06:04.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:29   #3975
BHPian

I know we shouldn't worry about mileage with this car, but it felt nice hitting 10kmpl (on MID) average over 1600km of city driving. I am fortunate enough to inhabit the relatively freer roads in Bengalooru .
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-858111387_33969.jpg  

nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks