Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 21:51   #4066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Gentlemen,
Need a bit of advise from the experienced Octavia owners. 55k is a decent amount of money, are the spare parts quite expensive for the car ? Look forward to your views. Cheers !!
Please go ahead and take it. Parts are costly. Any replacement of pumps will cost you upwards of 50k and the chances of failure keeps increasing exponentially after 4 th year. Also the extended warranty might be discontinued for secondary purchase if the cost benefit does not work out for skoda. With the scheme in the market for last 1 year, skoda might be getting claims attended. Hence they will be working out the internal cost. Price might be increased or discontinued.

Try to negotiate on the insurance and go for it.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 22:04   #4067
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Still not convinced by the 6 year warranty on gearbox without taking the extended warranty. Yes, there are stories of goodwill warranty, but that's completely at company's discretion.
I may not buy the dealer's version of 6 yr gearbox warranty unless it's on paper. Please ask for the document of standard 4 yr warranty and read through it to check if there is a mention about 6 yr warranty on gearbox.
Thats a good piece of advise Lambydude ! I will check directly with the company and post their answer.
In the meantime, I am attaching the document on what is covered & not covered in the extended 5th & 6th year warranty, as received from the dealership Head. Check -out the paragraph on transmission. Wonder what will be covered in the 6 year standard warranty on gearbox , which I will cross-check with the company ? Look forward to everyone's views. . Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-covered-under-warranty.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-not-covered.jpg  

Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 23:52   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
May I know from people who booked Onyx petrol how much discount you are getting?
I have gotten a 25000 discount from SGA Skoda apart from the Loyalty. The delivery took 2 weeks though the played safe asking for 3 while the booking was made.
Not all. I was able to remove all the additional cost. I buy what i want including to opt out of the insurance.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd December 2019 at 01:22. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 08:05   #4069
BHPian

Hi gentlemen,
During a casual chat with the dealership manager while giving the booking amount cheque for the L&K 1.8Tsi, he expressed his inability to give any further rebates, which was fine by me, but instead threw in free teflon coating with another coat after 3 months.
I am kinda confused about this. Does it really help or is it just an eyewash which may actually damage the new paint job ? I read somewhere that what is done on name of Teflon coating by most of the workshops, is more like Waxing and Machine Polishing in India. Been Teflon is no longer an Automotive application Product as sold by Chemours India( subsidiary of Dupont) and neither by DuPont. If any Inferior Brand chosen for Paint Protection Coating, then in likely scenario, the coating may even come down with cracks and will even look worse than the original paint on the car. Look forward to your views/advise !!
Cheers and a Happy Christmas week Monday !!

Last edited by Timothy : 23rd December 2019 at 08:30. Reason: addition of a few words
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 08:30   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Hi gentlemen...
...he expressed his inability to give any further rebates, which was fine by me, but instead threw in free teflon coating with another coat after 3 months.
I wish any ladies on the Forum won't look askance at your post

Short answer - No it won't damage your paint job or anything, if done properly. Teflon is good to have.

Long answer - The law of behavioral economics immutably states that "anything that is offered in lieu of cash, is bound to have value lower than the cash amount". Teflon, Ceramic or any other kind of similar coating is (1) Expensive and (2) Largely dependent on the amount of work/labour put in.

Now imagine someone offers you a "free" Teflon coating - how much work are they really likely to put in? What's the probability, knowing they ain't getting paid fully for this, that they'd use top-quality materials?

Since Teflon coating is reasonably expensive for a Skoda (I have an Octy myself), and the Manager is offering it to you for free, I would recommend that you insist him to make it cash instead. Depending on your city, a good quality Teflon coating for Octavia can cost anywhere between 45k to 75k - should reasonably translate into at least 30k - 50k cash discount even considering the hefty margins they have in coatings.

As an owner it would be best to get a coating done on your own terms separately, rather than accepting a potentially sub-par quality work as a free bundled offering.

Wish you Happy Holidays and many miles in your new car!

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:40   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gentlemen,
Need a bit of advise from the experienced Octavia owners. I have kinda really stretched my budget and have booked the L&K 1.8Tsi, as opposed to the Onyx which I was initially considering, however I am wondering if I should go for the extended warranty of 6 years which is costing an additional total of 1.35L (80K insurance + 55K extended warranty). Do you think it is worth it to go for the extended warranty, or take a chance and stick with the standard warranty of 4 years on the car and 6 years on the Gearbox. 55k is a decent amount of money, are the spare parts quite expensive for the car ? Look forward to your views. Cheers !!
By all means get the extended warranty for your car. In VAG cars small issues will start popping up from third year of ownership. So the 55k cost of extended warranty can be definitely covered in 6 years time period. And if there is any big issue (engine/gearbox! let's hope not) cost will be more than triple of what we're talking. So go for it and wishing you a hassle free ownership.

If possible get insurance and EW separate. Get insurance from outside, not Skoda.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 16:32   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
By all means get the extended warranty for your car. In VAG cars small issues will start popping up from third year of ownership. So the 55k cost of extended warranty can be definitely covered in 6 years time period.

If possible get insurance and EW separate. Get insurance from outside, not Skoda.
Many Thanks Flyer. I have to buy the Skoda Shield which includes the Insurance and the 5th & 6th year EW from the company. They insist on that. Any particular reason why the EW should be purchased separately ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Still not convinced by the 6 year warranty on gearbox without taking the extended warranty. Yes, there are stories of goodwill warranty, but that's completely at company's discretion.
I may not buy the dealer's version of 6 yr gearbox warranty unless it's on paper. Please ask for the document of standard 4 yr warranty and read through it to check if there is a mention about 6 yr warranty on gearbox.
Skoda Customer care says that the standard warranty on the car is for 4 years and there is NO such scheme as the 6 year warranty on the gearbox. The dealer says that the extra 2 year warranty on the Gearbox is from their side (I am taking this with a pinch of salt...) so now plan to go ahead with the 6 year EW as a lot of you folks are recommending it. Many thanks and appreciate your views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I wish any ladies on the Forum won't look askance at your post

Now imagine someone offers you a "free" Teflon coating - how much work are they really likely to put in? What's the probability, knowing they ain't getting paid fully for this, that they'd use top-quality materials?

Since Teflon coating is reasonably expensive for a Skoda (I have an Octy myself), and the Manager is offering it to you for free, I would recommend that you insist him to make it cash instead. Depending on your city, a good quality Teflon coating for Octavia can cost anywhere between 45k to 75k - should reasonably translate into at least 30k - 50k cash discount even considering the hefty margins they have in coatings.

As an owner it would be best to get a coating done on your own terms separately, rather than accepting a potentially sub-par quality work as a free bundled offering.

Wish you Happy Holidays and many miles in your new car!

Cheers,
R_S
I wish any ladies on the Forum won't look askance at your post:
In all probability the so called "Teflon Coating" will be just polishing and waxing. The sales guy and the dealership manager are friendly & decent guys, so whatever they say I just accept it with a smile & avoid getting in to any arguments, although I know well also when they are bullshitting but just take it in my stride... They are not going to give a permanent coating which costs upwards of 45K. They said they will do it in front of me.... so lets see what they dish out, but I know they won't give any further cash discounts. Appreciate your inputs, bro ! Cheers and Happy Holidays !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Please go ahead and take it. Parts are costly. Any replacement of pumps will cost you upwards of 50k and the chances of failure keeps increasing exponentially after 4 th year. Also the extended warranty might be discontinued for secondary purchase if the cost benefit does not work out for skoda.

Try to negotiate on the insurance and go for it.
Many Thanks Karvel. I will try and negotiate on the insurance, as you rightly suggested, as am getting a similar deal from the same insurance company at 10k less. Cheers !

Last edited by navin : 23rd December 2019 at 17:23.
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:50   #4073
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks and appreciate your views.

!
All the best for your car purchase. Please share the pics
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 08:41   #4074

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnvsagar View Post
My SA just updated that Skoda has no plans to produce quartz gray in December. This, after waiting patiently for the last 20 days. What a disappointment! Looks like my Skoda journey is ending before it started.
After much pondering, I have decided to go for the White.

Customer support from Skoda has been a huge disappointment, even before they sold me a car. I reached out to them for a confirmation that they had indeed stopped producing quartz gray in their plant. An initial 'get back within 24-48 hr' commitment never materialized and a couple of follow ups later, I was given the number of an Area Sales Manager, which did not exist. Again I was told the ASM will call me positively, and alas.

After a few checks with my SA about 'plant stock' availability in white alone, I have given a go ahead for white now. For a brief moment, considered a Maple Brown L&K (supposedly only other color available now in any Octavia other than the Onyx), but the Manual Transmission (and the extra 5 Lakhs+) made the decision easy.

Can anyone advise me what is the process from here? Will Skoda share the VIN details of the car allocated to me, like I was told by the SA? Strangely, the SA was asking me to make some payments ("my manager asked me to get some money from the customer") so that they can 'speed up the paperwork'. I refused pay a penny till I know the VIN and till I have seen the car physically to verify that this was fresh stock (as was promised when I agreed for 'plant stock').

The buying experience at Skoda lacks a feel good. You know the SA is bullshitting with you, and like Timothy mentioned you just take it in your stride. But I lost it for once when the SA mentioned that his manager asked him to get some money from the customer.

My current Honda City has served me loyally for a good 15 years, and the experience at Honda has been so much in contrast. I wish Civic was a better car, and/or had a MT option in Petrol.

Jittery with the purchase, but I and family are so completely sold out on Octavia. It is a leap of faith to buy from Skoda. Please wish me a good ownership experience.
pnvsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 10:30   #4075
BHPian

Quote:

Can anyone advise me what is the process from here? Will Skoda share the VIN details of the car allocated to me, like I was told by the SA? Strangely, the SA was asking me to make some payments ("my manager asked me to get some money from the customer") so that they can 'speed up the paperwork'. I refused pay a penny till I know the VIN and till I have seen the car physically to verify that this was fresh stock (as was promised when I agreed for 'plant stock').

Jittery with the purchase, but I and family are so completely sold out on Octavia. It is a leap of faith to buy from Skoda. Please wish me a good ownership experience.
As I assume you have paid the booking amount, there is no need to pay anything at all now till you get the VIN and have completed the PDI of the car before it goes for registration. The SA should start with the VIN to be shared with you and inform you once the car is available in their stockyard for PDI. Once you are happy with the pre-registration inspection of the car assigned, only then you should pay the amount to the dealership, against receipts, so that the car can be registered against your name. Be patient - it shall all fall into the right places. The only reason why I see them pushing for payments is due to the month & year closure ahead and probably just ensuring you do not cancel booking.

In parallel, if you are getting the insurance done through Skoda, then they shall do the rest of the needful. Just do follow up with the SA to ensure it is happening and on track (this is typically post the PDI though). If from outside, you would have to ensure that it is completed (or some version of it) before the car goes for registration. And of course, prepare for the financials if not done already!

I know the sales experience can be off at times with the dealership - but Octavia is too brilliant a car to ignore. Wishing you all the very best with the car and ownership. Looking forward to your ownership review. It seems to be raining Octavia on the forum, as we get closer to its production closure in India!

P.S. I am planned to get the delivery of my Octavia today! Wish me luck! Super Excited.
vickyP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 10:55   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post

P.S. I am planned to get the delivery of my Octavia today! Wish me luck! Super Excited.
Awesome, congratulations! Drive safe! An ownership review is in order then, Super!
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 11:23   #4077

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Be patient - it shall all fall into the right places.

Thanks Vicky. Your message put some lingering doubts to rest. Have a great time with your new Octavia. Look forward to your reviews.
pnvsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:44   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Sagar, What is the variant of your car? Is it 1.4 MT Style?

I held back 2 lakhs until I checked out the car and did the IMPS immediately after the PDI. Mahavir doesn't allow you to go to their yard. They got my car to the showroom to prepare for delivery and allowed my PDI at the showroom. They asked for major chunk of the payment to be paid before getting the car to showroom.

They shared the VIN before I made any payment. My Onyx petrol is manufactured in November 2019.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-00000img_00000_burst20191221144554934_cover.jpg

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th December 2019 at 12:50.
satish_appasani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 13:14   #4079
BHPian

Quote:

The buying experience at Skoda lacks a feel good. You know the SA is bullshitting with you, and like Timothy mentioned you just take it in your stride.

My current Honda City has served me loyally for a good 15 years, and the experience at Honda has been so much in contrast. I wish Civic was a better car, and/or had a MT option in Petrol.

I have had a similar experience with the Skoda dealership here in Delhi and it's unfortunate that they tend to overcommit and under - deliver, almost as if they have become immune to the plight of the customer.
I'm a recent owner of a Race Blue Onyx edition, bought earlier this month and honestly, there's no other car as evocative and competent as an Octavia.

I drove a Honda City for close to 10 yrs and have nothing but praises for this gem of a car, probably the best car that I ever owned in the last two decades. Hassle free, fast, comfortable, spacious, just some of the qualities I liked.

However, the Octavia is such a big leap over the City that you'll forget all the wrongs of the dealership and fall in love, head over heels, with this magnificently built car.
Over time you'll appreciate the engineering and the attention to detail of the Octavia as also the incredible smoothness of the engine, coupled with that raw power.

There's a reason why so many enthusiasts are crazy about the Octavia, no matter how much it troubles them or makes them pull out their hair.!

Don't worry, you've made the right choice indeed.
Enjoy the ride.
Almetal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 14:17   #4080

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Sagar, What is the variant of your car? Is it 1.4 MT Style?
Attachment 1948694
Yes, it is 1.4 MT Style indeed.

They currently have only 1.4 Style, 1.8 Onyx and L&K in petrol.

Thanks for the info you shared. Surely helps!
pnvsagar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed