Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 07:09   #4291
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
So did the replacement of the LHS driveshaft solve the issue ? I believe the sunroof rattle seems to be a regular occurrence in many cars after a while. What was done to rectify this issue ? Cheers !
Was waiting for someone to ask . It is indeed the DSG, and it is being wholly replaced by Skoda under goodwill warranty as my car was only 23 days beyond the 4 year EW deadline. Asked and got a Rapid loaner too.

Sunroof rattle is claimed to be absent now after extensive lubrication. Have been super busy with work but will update as and when I get my car back.

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th February 2020 at 07:11.
itwasntme is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 09:05   #4292

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Dear 1.8 TSI owners who purchased their car in the year 2016.

Please do share the latest updates on your car. If you've faced any major issues or can help me with a heads up on what to look out for? From my research on this thread, I noticed that the frequency of DSG failures came down significantly between 2014 to 2016. However, I'm still a bit worried about service costs and reliability with the warranty for this car expiring in 3 months.
I got my 1.8TSI in Oct 2015 and there has been (touchwood) no major issue with the car till now.
There were some minor niggles which I have faced
  • O2 Sensor had to be replaced within the first 6 months. I think this might have been due to a bad batch as a couple more folks had faced the same issue around that time
  • Battery is definitely an issue. Skoda replaced the original Varta battery at 15 months during their regular checkup (seems like they had issues with Varta battery going kaput). They replaced it with Exide. This lasted me another 15 months and it went kaput one fine day. I was able to jump-start the car, but as soon as I switched it off, it would not start again without jump start. The service guys suggested to get Amaron from outside (no replacement given as it was not covered in warranty)
  • Scroller on the steering broke off. The replacement would have been Rs 5K as they would replace the whole unit. I just got a Rs 5 fevikwik and fixed it

I religiously follow keeping the car in N whenever stuck in traffic or in signal to keep the DSG sane.
rodmart is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:03   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Was waiting for someone to ask . It is indeed the DSG, and it is being wholly replaced by Skoda under goodwill warranty as my car was only 23 days beyond the 4 year EW deadline. Asked and got a Rapid loaner too.

Sunroof rattle is claimed to be absent now after extensive lubrication. Have been super busy with work but will update as and when I get my car back.
Wow ! So the DGG eventually failed in 4 years.... what's the mileage on the odo on your car ?
It is indeed amazing that it is being replaced under GW warranty !! Cheers !
Old 11th February 2020, 12:47   #4294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Wow ! So the DGG eventually failed in 4 years.... what's the mileage on the odo on your car ?
It is indeed amazing that it is being replaced under GW warranty !! Cheers !
57K km.

Usually if your car is in stock form (i.e. without any modification that could conceivably affect DSG operation), since ~2016 Skoda India quietly honours goodwill (100% or on a sliding scale depending on age/mileage of car) warranty.

They also behave similarly for other expensive parts like the AC compressor, water pump, DRL sealed beam assemblies etc. Multiple TBHPians and others have had the same experience.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:59   #4295
BHPian

Thank you! Heartened to see your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmart View Post
I got my 1.8TSI in Oct 2015 and there has been (touchwood) no major issue with the car till now.
There were some minor niggles which I have faced
  • O2 Sensor had to be replaced within the first 6 months. I think this might have been due to a bad batch as a couple more folks had faced the same issue around that time
  • Battery is definitely an issue. Skoda replaced the original Varta battery at 15 months during their regular checkup (seems like they had issues with Varta battery going kaput). They replaced it with Exide. This lasted me another 15 months and it went kaput one fine day. I was able to jump-start the car, but as soon as I switched it off, it would not start again without jump start. The service guys suggested to get Amaron from outside (no replacement given as it was not covered in warranty)
  • Scroller on the steering broke off. The replacement would have been Rs 5K as they would replace the whole unit. I just got a Rs 5 fevikwik and fixed it

I religiously follow keeping the car in N whenever stuck in traffic or in signal to keep the DSG sane.
Old 11th February 2020, 22:55   #4296
BHPian

Quote:
57K km.

Usually if your car is in stock form (i.e. without any modification that could conceivably affect DSG operation), since ~2016 Skoda India quietly honours goodwill (100% or on a sliding scale depending on age/mileage of car) warranty.

They also behave similarly for other expensive parts like the AC compressor, water pump, DRL sealed beam assemblies etc. Multiple TBHPians and others have had the same experience.
Which year model is yours sir ? I guess I'm reading about a DSG failure after a very very long time now. Glad that you are getting yours replaced under Good Will though 🙂
Old 12th February 2020, 10:17   #4297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Which year model is yours sir ? I guess I'm reading about a DSG failure after a very very long time now. Glad that you are getting yours replaced under Good Will though 🙂
It's a MY16 Octavia Style Plus manufactured in August 2015 and registered in January 2016. The interesting point in my DSG issue is that it is a mechanical failure of the gearbox itself and NOT the usual Mechatronic frying up.

As a result, the entire 0CW300049L 00M gearbox is being changed rather than the Mechatron / Mechatronik / Mechatronic heart only.

(https://www.oemvwshop.com/0cw300049l...rbox-p1483516/)
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:28   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
As a result, the entire 0CW300049L 00M gearbox is being changed rather than the Mechatron / Mechatronik / Mechatronic heart only.
Thats great to hear that the whole GB is being replaced instead of some temp fix. Skoda offers 2 years warranty on replaced parts. Would that be applicable for the new GB as well?
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:11   #4299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Thats great to hear that the whole GB is being replaced instead of some temp fix. Skoda offers 2 years warranty on replaced parts. Would that be applicable for the new GB as well?
Yes, been verbally assured of this with unlimited mileage as well.

However, I am unsure whether this 2 years 'extra' warranty holds good for components changed under standard or extended warranty. When Skoda replaced my headlight assemblies, I remember being told that the warranty for the replaced assemblies will end on the date of the original warranty expiry. This it seems is VAG policy. Would like to know if this is so.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:01   #4300
BHPian

Yup . Battery in my Tiguan was replaced last month after nearly 17-18 months usage under warranty . As the battery has 2 yrs warranty from new , was told that this new battery has warranty for another 6 months .
Ak007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:15   #4301
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, been verbally assured of this with unlimited mileage as well.

However, I am unsure whether this 2 years 'extra' warranty holds good for components changed under standard or extended warranty. When Skoda replaced my headlight assemblies, I remember being told that the warranty for the replaced assemblies will end on the date of the original warranty expiry. This it seems is VAG policy. Would like to know if this is so.
I just got myself an Octavia 1.8 L&K. And gearbox failures even now send chills down my spine. How about I always drive this in Manual. Either tiptronic or with the paddles. Would I be safer or still would be faced with the same probability of the DSG packing up ? I've not yet opted for extended warranty as well .
Old 12th February 2020, 13:25   #4302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just got myself an Octavia 1.8 L&K. And gearbox failures even now send chills down my spine. How about I always drive this in Manual. Either tiptronic or with the paddles. Would I be safer or still would be faced with the same probability of the DSG packing up ? I've not yet opted for extended warranty as well .
Driving in traffic in manual mode will definitely help save the clutch plates in the longer run. But the mechatronics is still a variable. There's virtually nothing one can do to ensure longer mechatronics life unfortunately. It's an electromechanical component (banks of solenoids) that will pack up eventually.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:34   #4303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Driving in traffic in manual mode will definitely help save the clutch plates in the longer run. But the mechatronics is still a variable. There's virtually nothing one can do to ensure longer mechatronics life unfortunately. It's an electromechanical component (banks of solenoids) that will pack up eventually.
There are chances of these machines crossing the 1L Km mark too or there is no chance whatsoever? I rarely see posts on DSG failures nowadays. Or are we doomed and would have to set aside a lakh or 2 in our bank account just to account for the GB replacement whenever it happens ?
Old 12th February 2020, 14:04   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
There are chances of these machines crossing the 1L Km mark too or there is no chance whatsoever? I rarely see posts on DSG failures nowadays. Or are we doomed and would have to set aside a lakh or 2 in our bank account just to account for the GB replacement whenever it happens ?
I just happened to have sold my 8 year old Laura TDI DSG with 85k KMs on ODO. It still ran butter smooth & had no jerks whatsoever which are sometimes tell a tale signs of failing DSG/flywheel components. Only maintenance done to it was the stipulated oil change.

Even though the odo said 85k KMs the run time of transmission was very high because for last 5 years a high percentage of the car ran in congested Delhi traffic where in average speed hovered around 10-15 KM/HR.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by aviral2122 : 12th February 2020 at 14:07. Reason: Some additional info
aviral2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:15   #4305
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
I just happened to have sold my 8 year old Laura TDI DSG with 85k KMs on ODO.
TDI doesn't have the 7 speed DQ200, I think.

Most Viewed