Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 17:46   #4471
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 198
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great pictures Nishith! Here are some from my side after 4.5 years & 58K km:

A few more including my second Dr. Jekyll :-), as well as the massive loading area with seats folded and my paddle shift extenders.
You guys have kept your cars in mint condition. Kudos !!
Also nicely maintained hands :
Cheers !
Timothy is offline  
Old 15th June 2020, 19:53   #4472
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 198
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Next-gen Skoda Octavia to be launched in India in February 2021 .


Link
It's a beautiful car no doubt, just the front grill may take a bit getting used to. Styling is subjective, but the design of the grill of the Mark111 model looks more stylish and makes the car stand apart from the clutter. The rear end styling and the design of the alloy wheels of the new model are classy and also the interiors are definitely a notch or two higher.

But the main thing is the price. Considering the price of 25L ex. showroom for the Karoq (i know it is a CBU) & 33 L for the 2.0 Litre L&K Superb which would mean the price of the fully loaded 2 lt. TSI Octavia to be around 28L i.e. translating to 33.5-35L OTR. That is no doubt going to be pretty steep as compared to the phased out model ! The Civic and Elantra may not be right competition at least for the 2 Lt. version and the car will continue with its positioning of entry level luxury. But Ah the price......
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 20:37   #4473
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 661
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
It's a beautiful car no doubt, just the front grill may take a bit getting used to. Styling is subjective, but the design of the grill of the Mark111 model looks more stylish and makes the car stand apart from the clutter. The rear end styling and the design of the alloy wheels of the new model are classy and also the interiors are definitely a notch or two higher.

But the main thing is the price. Considering the price of 25L ex. showroom for the Karoq (i know it is a CBU) & 33 L for the 2.0 Litre L&K Superb which would mean the price of the fully loaded 2 lt. TSI Octavia to be around 28L i.e. translating to 33.5-35L OTR. That is no doubt going to be pretty steep as compared to the phased out model ! The Civic and Elantra may not be right competition at least for the 2 Lt. version and the car will continue with its positioning of entry level luxury. But Ah the price......
The front grille with the slightly pointy nose would require some time to get used to. I too didnt like the shape at all. But it does make sense when seen from the side.
The current gen diesel Octavia L & K is close to 32L OTR in Karnataka. The new one would go more than that given the Karoq pricing. I guess it is going to come feature loaded. But still paying that much for a 1.5TSi would be a big downer.
The present 1.8TSi is such a gem when you consider all that. Grab one if you can!
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:30   #4474
BHPian
 
deepfreak15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 381
Thanked: 1,582 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Welcome to the 'Dead Battery Society' club.
I will welcome myself to the dead battery club. Lasted all of 24 months and 11.8k kms. Though a couple of things went in my favour.
a) Weak battery was identified during the annual service
b) Got the battery replaced free of charge under Goodwill warranty

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4827688

Will keep an eye out nearing the end of the fourth year of ownership.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:46   #4475
BHPian
 
VKumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 577
Thanked: 3,022 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Welcome to the 'Dead Battery Society' club.
Hilarious!

Let me also share my all past VAG ownership battery failure reports:
Laura TSi: 19th month
Polo TDi: 14th Month
Polo MPi: 33rd Month
Superb TSi: 14th Month

Looks like the 'Ze German' battery of VAG cars loves to go dead, and service guys, in all their smug; tell you "only 1 year warranty on battery, and you need to buy from us only - else you lose entire warranty"!

Last edited by VKumar : 20th June 2020 at 17:47.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 19:28   #4476
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,844
Thanked: 2,354 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Just for the records (because trouble free Skodas hardly ever make it to the forum ):
I had a 1.8 TSI Laura (2010). OEM battery lasted for 5+ years. The 2nd battery was also going strong until I sold the car im December 2018.
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 19:40   #4477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 116
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Next-gen Skoda Octavia to be launched in India in February 2021 .


Link
Waiting for this one. Especially keen to see if the 2.0 TSI is on offer, and at what price point. After the Covid-19 pandemic, given there is going to be stronger preference towards self-driven cars, space on Indian roads will be at premium. Hence, a 2.0 TSI Octavia is bound to eat into Superbís numbers. Interesting year(s) ahead for the Indian automotive industry.
TokyoDrifter is offline  
Old 21st June 2020, 12:56   #4478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 31
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Recently while driving in the city on empty roads I noticed that Octavia 1.8 TSI gave me an efficiency of 14 KM/L. I was driving at about 50-60 kmph all the time as roads were empty. The oil temp was however 109~110 C. Now on the contrary if I do speedy runs on highway the oil temp settles at 105 C. No matter how hard I press the throttle on the highway and even if I go to the max the oil temp is 105. I have checked this multiple times on several runs. Does anyone have an idea what should be the ideal oil temp for Indian models on Indian roads.
vikrantshete is offline  
Old 21st June 2020, 15:29   #4479
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I will welcome myself to the dead battery club. Lasted all of 24 months and 11.8k kms. Though a couple of things went in my favour.
a) Weak battery was identified during the annual service
b) Got the battery replaced free of charge under Goodwill warranty
I am in my 13th month of ownership and getting paranoid about the battery given that the car is not getting used much due to WFH. There seems to be a little bit of flickering of interior lights when cranking nowadays.
The car had seen regular service last month and the battery was supposedly in good shape.
nma83 is offline  
Old 21st June 2020, 15:45   #4480
BHPian
 
deepfreak15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 381
Thanked: 1,582 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
There seems to be a little bit of flickering of interior lights when cranking nowadays.
The car had seen regular service last month and the battery was supposedly in good shape.
Flickering is a sure sign something is not right, you can get the battery tested at an FNG too. It's possible the battery must have started deteriorating after the service or even could be a case of rodents getting to some wires. Would be a good idea to get the car checked asap

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 21st June 2020 at 16:04.
deepfreak15 is offline  
Old 21st June 2020, 15:55   #4481
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 323
Thanked: 802 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am in my 13th month of ownership and getting paranoid about the battery given that the car is not getting used much due to WFH. There seems to be a little bit of flickering of interior lights when cranking nowadays.
The car had seen regular service last month and the battery was supposedly in good shape.
Have experienced the same. The car wouldn't start and everything starts to flicker like AC switches, map lights, music system, speedometer as if the car is possessed. We had to jump start the car. The battery required a change. This happened because the car sat for months (5-6months). My dad states that driving is required to keep the battery running. Don't let the car sit for long in accessory mode as it drains out the battery.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 05:31   #4482
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,132
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I am in my 13th month of ownership and getting paranoid about the battery given that the car is not getting used much due to WFH. There seems to be a little bit of flickering of interior lights when cranking nowadays.
Hi, UNLESS there is rodent damage, Skoda will very likely change your battery under warranty. Suggest you don't delay and either call RSA, specify the battery issue and ask them to inspect at your residence, OR take the vehicle to the workshop and leave it there for them to initiate the warranty process. It may take a day or two but I feel they will replace it.

You don't want your Octavia to give up at the worst possible moment in the midst of the unending mini-lockdowns and possible medical emergencies.
itwasntme is offline  
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:54   #4483
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 506
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hilarious!

Let me also share my all past VAG ownership battery failure reports:
Laura TSi: 19th month
Polo TDi: 14th Month
Polo MPi: 33rd Month
Superb TSi: 14th Month

Looks like the 'Ze German' battery of VAG cars loves to go dead, and service guys, in all their smug; tell you "only 1 year warranty on battery, and you need to buy from us only - else you lose entire warranty"!
Will they really void warranty? For us, the first battery went dead in 30 months and the VW SC said there is no issue in getting it outside. Changed it one more time after 36 months. Had absolutely no issues with the electronics after the change and the VW SC during subsequent service didn't bother either.

Oh and I got the 2nd battery replaced under warranty from the battery manufacturer. VAG cars are battery hungry!
Turbohead is offline  
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:27   #4484
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mohali
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Hello Team. This is my 1st post here on this forum and I seek the wise counsel of all the experts here.
My 1.5 yrs old Octavia has started developing rust on brake discs. I'm attaching the pictures for reference. I noticed these just yesterday evening after returning home from a drive. The car has been driven regularly barring a month of lockdown. Odo has clocked 21.5 k kms till now and has been serviced on time. Could someone help me in figuring out how could this happen in just 1.5 yrs?
Although, on a side note, I had given my car to the service centre few days back for 5 days to rectify an electronics fault. Could the service centre have replaced the discs?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_20200622_185213_compress87.jpg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_20200622_18515201_compress87.jpg  

Piyushjaiswal is offline  
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:04   #4485
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,420
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyushjaiswal View Post
My 1.5 yrs old Octavia has started developing rust on brake discs.
To me this is a very normal thing. Specially due to the lockdowns etc. the cars are parked for longer, this should ordinarily go after some driving and use of brakes. Even the usage of brakes has reduced with less traffic!
SLK is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks