Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 01:29   #4606
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I really don't have any complaints with perfrinzas but sure that P3ST seem softer and more silent. MRFs are grippy and not too noisy
Didn't mean that about perfinzas in particular but quite a few tyres in the market are offered with unconditional warranty because they are hard. Maybe that's what they mean by built for Indian roads.

Honestly I don't think Michelins will be able to take the beating Goodyears could take on my recent visit to Marathwada area in Maharashtra.

For highways and mild off roading at low speeds Michelins might work I guess. It's impossible to not drive on bad patches in India. Maybe that's why people want slightly hard tyres. Maybe perfinzas will do better than Michelins on bad roads.

Just as there are some dissapointed users of Perfinzas, there are also some satisfied users but I did not find anyone compalining about grip and comfort of michelins nor did I find anyone saying that any tyre in that class is better than Michelin (some tyres have a thing or two better than Michelin but overall Michelin seems better). As of now my first preference will be Michelin.

Again, my opinion is based on what I read. I have never sat in a car being aware that it is fitted with Michelins, Yokos or MRFs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th October 2020 at 10:12. Reason: Typo - prederence = preference
Old 10th October 2020, 22:43   #4607
BHPian

This is the reason tyre imports have stopped for the time being

"the DGFT has further introduced a new clause in the Duty Free Import Authorisation (DFIA) scheme that disallows import of tyres under it. "

"Post the decision in March, all tyre imports were placed under the restricted category, with a special license required for any imports. "

Detail link: https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...-up-loopholes/
Old 12th October 2020, 11:03   #4608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I am really surprised that the coolant level went down on its own without any leakage. I do normally check the coolant and the engine oil levels once a month on my Jan. 20 purchased Octavia.... but I must admit this is something I never faced in my 10 year ownership of Honda Civic & Honda City. So I am actually perplexed as to how the coolant level went down on its own.

Coolant leak seem to be common issue in Octavia. I am also facing the issue since few months now. It suddenly started after long parking during lockdown.

If you are in warranty please ensure you dont take "common thing to happen" as an answer from SA. Its not cool to get warning during a long drive and note, you cannot refill when the engine is hot. You have to wait for the engine to completely cool and it takes hours to cool. So make sure the issue is fixed when its in warranty. From what I read, the issue might be thermostat water pump issue and head gasket issue.
Head gasket is something you can ignore as the car is new. It may be due to water pump. Ask them to replace it in your next occurrence whats so ever.

Intense vibration at 120kmh and above

Apart from coolant leak issue, I am now facing a different issue. Yesterday when I clocked 120, the vehicle vibrated so much as if I am running on series of small humps. It was not just steering vibration the whole car vibrated. If its steerings, I know it must be wheel balancing and alignment but the whole car vibrating so much was little worry some. Any clue what could it be?

Also, I am from Bengaluru and had a good advisor at vinayak cars at Whitefield ASC,
but now that is permanently closed and for me Tafe at Hosur road seems closest option. It will be helpful if someone can recommend a good Service advisor at this Service station.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th October 2020, 20:06   #4609
BHPian

So PPS seems to have taken over both the showroom and service center (in Okalipuram) of Vinayaka. Does anyone know if the personnel remain largely same, mainly at the service center?
Old 12th October 2020, 20:22   #4610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
So PPS seems to have taken over both the showroom and service center (in Okalipuram) of Vinayaka. Does anyone know if the personnel remain largely same, mainly at the service center?
PPS seem to only taken over Okalipuram but Mahadevpura seem to remain shut.
Old 12th October 2020, 23:20   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post

Yesterday when I clocked 120, the vehicle vibrated so much as if I am running on series of small humps.

Thanks in advance.

After my recent tyre bulge I had the same issue. I put the spare tyre on the alloy wheel and got the alignment and balancing done from a nearby tyre shop. My car is still vibrating as triple digit speeds. Not sure if anything other than wheels could have something to do with this..
Old 12th October 2020, 23:45   #4612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post

Apart from coolant leak issue, I am now facing a different issue. Yesterday when I clocked 120, the vehicle vibrated so much as if I am running on series of small humps. It was not just steering vibration the whole car vibrated. If its steerings, I know it must be wheel balancing and alignment but the whole car vibrating so much was little worry some. Any clue what could it be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
After my recent tyre bulge I had the same issue. I put the spare tyre on the alloy wheel and got the alignment and balancing done from a nearby tyre shop. My car is still vibrating as triple digit speeds. Not sure if anything other than wheels could have something to do with this..
Did you both drive very little during the lockdown? Came your tyres have developed a minor flat spots which are showing up only at high speeds?
Old 13th October 2020, 00:24   #4613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Did you both drive very little during the lockdown? Came your tyres have developed a minor flat spots which are showing up only at high speeds?
Minimal movement during complete lockdown for two months but I made sure to move the car once in a while. Max period at one spot might not have been more than 8-10 days. Post lockdown averaging 1000 Km per month. Quite a lot of outstation travel. Few months back I could hear a pattern of noise only with a keen ear but the noise increased after the tyre bulge and sounded like something had stuck to the tyre. Post swapping damaged tyre with spare (I mean tyre swap not wheel swap) the noise is not that much but is accompanied by vibrations at about 120 Km/h.

Also since yesterday every time the rear suspension passes over a speed bump I hear some weird sound. I checked the cabin thoroughly for anything that could make that noise but did not find anything.
Old 13th October 2020, 02:17   #4614

Skoda Octavia MK 3 2018 tyres

It's time to change the tyres on my 2018 Skoda Octavia L&K. They came fitted with the stock 205/55 R16 tyres.

I have been wanting to get a bigger profile for my tyres on my 16 inch alloys. I wanted bigger sidewall height and more width on my tyres.

Can you guys please advise me on what my options should be to get bigger tyres with sacrificing too much on the ride?

I don't have too much of knowledge on tyres and what are the different disadvantages of me getting bigger tyres.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:07   #4615
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia MK 3 2018 tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabirsingh07 View Post
It's time to change the tyres on my 2018 Skoda Octavia L&K. They came fitted with the stock 205/55 R16 tyres.

I have been wanting to get a bigger profile for my tyres on my 16 inch alloys. I wanted bigger sidewall height and more width on my tyres.

Can you guys please advise me on what my options should be to get bigger tyres with sacrificing too much on the ride?

I don't have too much of knowledge on tyres and what are the different disadvantages of me getting bigger tyres.
Not sure of your requirement as it sounds contradictory - keeping the OE rim of 16", you cannot get both a wider time and larger profile, as these two are inversely proportional and either + / - your overall dia of the tyre when fitted shouldn't foul with the wheel well or reduce your GC.

A wider tire gets you better traction at the expense of fuel economy while a higher profile gets you better comfort.

I'd suggest you to stick to the OE size, I traded a similar size crappy Good Year on my Jetta recently after 50K KM's to same size Michelin Primacy ST4 and the ride comfort and driving pleasure has jumped multiple leaps and bounds!

The logical upgrade would be a 225 size tyre with 50 profile, but check if your alloy would take that upsize before you jump... that 50 profile will sacrifice the ride quality a bit
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 13:10   #4616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia MK 3 2018 tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabirsingh07 View Post

How much have you used the current tyres? Any issues with the OEM tyres? They should be good for at least 35-40K kms before they start becoming hard and start skidding under braking and hard acceleration. Next, I would not recommend going for bigger tyres with the stock wheels. The 16" wheels are 6.5" wide and made for 205 section tyres. Although I personally used the stock wheels with 225 section, it wasn't the best decision I made back then. Later swapped with BBS 16x7" wheels, and then put 225/50/16 Michelin PS3 and been running this combination since last 4 years now, with two sets of new tyres. I have absolutely no complaints with ride quality, ride height, etc.

Some disadvantages of wider tyres will be that your car might feel tad bit slow, but it compensates with better grip in corners and inspires confidence when driving hard. IMO there is no need to increase the profile of the tyres and thereby increase ride height, it just doesn't warrant on this car.

If you want to go wider, you'll need wider rims as well. The best upsize will be either 225/50/16, or 225/45/17. You would think that 45 profile will make the car sit 10mm lower, but thats not the case. All three sizes have the same tyre circumference and your ride height won't be affected. Only your sidewall will become a little narrower. I would suggest if you're going with new rims, better go for 17"s as this will transform even how the car looks!

As of now it seems to be the worst time to buy new tyres, most of the imported brands are unavailable and might only be back in stock around December. Do check with your nearest / trusted tyre shop and see what is available, then decide to upgrade.

If your use is restricted to the city, just slap on a set of Michelin Primacy 4, in stock size and call it a day.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 01:13   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre damaged... Need suggestions for a new set of tyres
. Based on feedback on team bhp Michelin Primacy 4 st are a great choice but the guy at the tyre shop warned me that Michelins have a problem with side wall cracking and there is no unconditional warranty for Michelins. Other recommendations are Yokohama, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Every tyre dealer is trying to push for the brand that they have advertised in their banner. I would love to get Michelins but not sure about how much impact they can take on Indian roads. Bridgestone and Yokohama offer unconditional warranty (3 Years and 18 Months respectively) Need suggestions from you guys on what would be a good choice given the fact that I prefer a smooth ride would like to avoid excessive stiffness. Is it possible to preserve Michelins over bad roads which we encounter so often no matter where we go. Also Michelin availability is not great and the stock would be early 2020 or most likely 2019.
You can go for Pirelli. Changed them about 3.5k kms before from NCT 5 s. 5 year warranty, with first 3 as unconditional and next 2 as prorated. Soft and quiet. Feeling more planted drive with very good grips. Got four at 29k with old tyre sale after ~43 k kms on NCT 5. Changed due to side wall bulging, though my drive is only on highways for the last 20k kms.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:29   #4618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
You can go for Pirelli.
I had enquired at Pirelli showroom in Pune. P6 are available from mid 2019 stock. There is no unconditional warranty at all. I was however able to find Michelin Pilot Sport 4 but the stock is Dec 2019 or so. Michelins are relatively new compared to Pirelli but I'm not sure if I should go for pilot sport as I have not heard much about them being mounted on Octavia wheels and they might be stiffer than Primacy 4
Old 14th October 2020, 13:04   #4619
Senior - BHPian

Pilot Sports 4 tyres if anything are softer than the Primacy 4. They're sports oriented tyres, and if they're anything as good as the old Pilot Sports 3, just go for it. Been using PS3 (not the console) since over 1.2 Lakh kms, and I am on my 3rd set.
Old 14th October 2020, 16:09   #4620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was however able to find Michelin Pilot Sport 4 but the stock is Dec 2019 or so. Michelins are relatively new compared to Pirelli but I'm not sure if I should go for pilot sport as I have not heard much about them being mounted on Octavia wheels and they might be stiffer than Primacy 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Pilot Sports 4 tyres if anything are softer than the Primacy 4. They're sports oriented tyres, and if they're anything as good as the old Pilot Sports 3, just go for it.
Please go for the Pilot Sports 4 ASAP with eyes closed. They are by far the best - just drive more carefully on really bad roads.

Most Viewed