GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sherin Kamath shares this with us
An update on the said repair:

Quote:
Many thanks for your support. Skoda did escalate the issue and the new mechatronic arrived at the Bhandup workshop on 12th Nov '20. My car was fixed and delivered to me on 13th Nov '20. She has been running fine since then, although the second key is presently not detecting & I intend to get that fixed from the recently opened Navi Mumbai workshop in Jan '21 (during my 2nd annual service).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:56   #4667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
With this low mileage car, this is very fishy. Yes, DQ200 are known to fail, but not at this mileage, at this mileage its as rare as any gearbox failing. So I'll take these facts with a pinch of salt.

Yes, it is a sensitive gearbox, and it feels so! Lets see, how do my cars fare, I really feel the story is not as sad as it is often made out to be here.
Completely agree here. This is probably a one-off thing and could be one of those rare faults that any new car can have. The reliability of DQ200 has improved tremendously with the switch to mineral oil and the software upgrade & limiting the torque to 250 nm. Internationally this was done somewhere around 2015-16 and in India , the 2017 quad lamp facelift version would have it. VW & Skoda are selling cars with DQ200 globally and even in India people are shelling out 25L (OTR) for T-Rocs & 30L (OTR) for Karoqs fitted with the same DSG. This is serious money ! VW group cannot afford another set back like the diesel gate scandal & continue with a defective product.

With an extended warranty you are covered for 6-7 years anyway and after that even if you have to spend a 85K - 1 lac on the mechatronics , its not that bad a deal considering what an amazing car this is within its price range. Any car of 20- 30L could run run up a repair bill for this much for a defective part/s after so many years. I picked up a skoda Octavia 1.8TSI L&K in jan. this year after having owned a Honda City & a Civic for 14 & 10 years respectively, after realising how much "more of a car "you get from Skoda within the price. My only advise would be to folks is to just relax and enjoy the experience the car offers, rather than worrying too much about it. Cheers !!
Timothy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 12:27   #4668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Internationally this was done somewhere around 2015-16 and in India , the 2017 quad lamp facelift version would have it.

... Honda City & a Civic for 14 & 10 years respectively, after realising how much "more of a car "you get from Skoda within the price.
Every time I see a failure report on this forum, I don't know if it is a facelift or pre facelift model. I think most often it is the pre facelift model but we don't have any reports on the facelift model's reliability.

In the highest odo reading thread on team bhp I've only seen one rapid and one Superb (with 514000 Km reading) in the few pages I browsed. There are many fiats, Toyotas, Hyundais etc but hardly any VW/Skodas. The only VW/Skodas are Polo/Vento/Rapid etc. that too very rare.

It is rare to see an ownership report from current gen Octavia owners with more than 100000Km on the odo (I only saw one on team bhp that was 157000 Km as per latest report). It is so common to see other brand customers happy even after 100K on the odo.

I agree that Octavia feels far better than a civic. The CVT is totally dead. Not sure if even manual will be able to match up.

Also agree that since one has the car now, one should enjoy it to the fullest (until it lasts)
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 20:36   #4669

Hello Friends,
It’s been a week since my Octavia has been fitted with the new mechatronic and I must say that she is running perfectly fine. The workshop did a wonderful & quick job and I feel that the only thing lacking in Skoda Service is the availability of spare parts (In my case it had to imported, with the delivery time of 14 days). I also have 6yrs warranty on her, which I say is a must for peace of mind.

Since a few members were curious regarding the low mileage of my 2019 Octavia. I would like to share that due to my profession & the ongoing Covid pandemic, my car barely runs. But I do make it a point to take her out daily for a short spin whenever I am around
Photon83 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:20   #4670
BHPian

I just got my first service done and the following is a copy of the invoice. I believe that item 2 is the oil filter. Is this assumption correct? Can someone also tell me what item 5 is?
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-firstservice.png

After the service, the service advisor suggested me to buy the SuperCare package. The 2-year package that I am eligible for costs a little over 31k, which roughly means that I'm going to pre-pay 15k for my second and third service while my first service was below 10k.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a sensible option to buy the 2 year package, the details of which is in the image below.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-supercarepackage.jpeg

Before I can make a decision, I think I should know the following details. Could someone help me with this?
  1. What are the things that I will have to change in second and third services (Spark plugs and the like)?
  2. How much on average would the second and third service cost?
anaghp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:05   #4671
BHPian

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-supercarepackage.jpeg

Is there a printing mistake or is Skoda actually charging more for the service package on the petrol rather than diesel.

It is the other way round mostly for other cars.

This can also be a part of the mistakes Skoda has been committing in India.

Last edited by sv97 : 3rd December 2020 at 11:13.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:16   #4672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Attachment 2088566

Is there a printing mistake or is Skoda actually charging more for the service package on the petrol rather than diesel.

It is the other way round mostly for other cars.
I think it might be due to added replacement of spark plugs for petrols.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2020 at 22:59. Reason: Missing word
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 16:11   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Hi guys,

The first service for my 1.8TSI L&K is due to come up towards the end of the month. but due to the lock down / work from home etc. etc. the car has done only 1600 odd kms in 11 months. The car is extremely well looked after and kept completely covered at all times when not in use.

My question is, since it is protected from dust & dirt and has done such a low mileage , do I need to get the air & polen filter changed during the first service ? I think the air filter can just be cleaned and reused. I know its not a huge amount but I would rather not waste changing something when it may not be needed. I haven't taken the 4 year maintenance package, just FYI. Look forward to your views. Cheers !!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2020 at 15:54. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 5th December 2020, 17:51   #4674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
My question is, since it is protected from dust & dirt and has done such a low mileage , do I need to get the air & polen filter changed during the first service ?
Hi Timothy,
That's really a minimal mileage for annual servicing. Still to take care of any issue regarding warranty in future, the servicing has to be performed as per schedule. You further have to change the filters, oil etc and should get the entries endorsed in service history.

IMO, one thing you shouldn't forget during the visit is to ask the SA to keep your current Air filter and Pollen filter back in the boot after replacing with new ones. Alternatively, you may get the new filters packed with you and re-use the current ones after cleaning.

One more thing to watch while preparing the job card is, you do check and understand all the items mentioned therein before signing it. Because in order to inflate the bill, few OPTIONAL items like AC disinfectant, Planum Chamber cleaning etc may crop up in the work to be carried out during the servicing. And you'll notice it only while making the final payment.

Few weeks ago, I had to pay around 2k bucks for Planum Chamber cleaning which I never knew as a separate item of a routine servicing.
I personally think that should just be a 'part' of the routine servicing and washing of the vehicle and hence not to be charged separately.

Ok! That's all from my side and hope it helps you.
Anyways, take care.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 5th December 2020 at 17:55. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:59   #4675
BHPian

Can someone help me with the details, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
I just got my first service done and the following is a copy of the invoice. I believe that item 2 is the oil filter. Is this assumption correct? Can someone also tell me what item 5 is?
Attachment 2088547

After the service, the service advisor suggested me to buy the SuperCare package. The 2-year package that I am eligible for costs a little over 31k, which roughly means that I'm going to pre-pay 15k for my second and third service while my first service was below 10k.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a sensible option to buy the 2 year package, the details of which is in the image below.
Attachment 2088546

Before I can make a decision, I think I should know the following details. Could someone help me with this?
  1. What are the things that I will have to change in second and third services (Spark plugs and the like)?
  2. How much on average would the second and third service cost?
Old 9th December 2020, 17:08   #4676
Distinguished - BHPian

@anaghp: I always found the Skoda Service cost calculator to be quite accurate. Please refer to it on their website.
Old 11th December 2020, 16:45   #4677
Senior - BHPian

On my one year old Onyx I replaced OEM Goodyear tyres with Michelin Primacy 4 size 205/55R16 91W. One of the tyres had a crack recently. None of the dealers have Michelin Primacy 4 in stock and there is no guarantee when they would be available.

What are my alternative options? I am thinking MRF Perfinza in the same size as the tread patterns are close. I really love Michelins for the low noise and ride quality.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-pxl_20201211_093910060.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-pxl_20201210_120238367.jpg
Old 11th December 2020, 17:45   #4678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
On my one year old Onyx I replaced OEM Goodyear tyres with Michelin Primacy 4 size 205/55R16 91W. One of the tyres had a crack recently. None of the dealers have Michelin Primacy 4 in stock and there is no guarantee when they would be available.

What are my alternative options? I am thinking MRF Perfinza in the same size as the tread patterns are close. I really love Michelins for the low noise and ride quality.
Its probably just the picture that looks that way however please check the alloy once before you mount another tire on it for any impact damage.

You may replace it with an equivalent set of 2 from Continental like MC5, make sure to check cold air pressure once a week. We also faced shortage with Michelin a few months back and it still the same scenario I guess, Continental was readily available that time.
Old 11th December 2020, 21:13   #4679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post

Attachment 2091702
Attachment 2091703
Try to get the brand new Continental UC6 tyres. Reviews are generally good and made in India too.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 21:37   #4680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Try to get the brand new Continental UC6 tyres. Reviews are generally good and made in India too.
Thank you for the info. Can I just change the one damaged tyre and pair it with my Michelin in the rear. My Michelins have only 7000KMS on them. It doesn't make sense to replace the non damaged tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks