Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 09:33   #4726
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Gave my '18 Octavia Tsi for its 3rd service. Had taken maintenance package when i got the car. The SA said gear/transmission oil needs to be changed and it does not comes under the package. Is this true?
From what i recall- the TSI do not require a transmission oil change.

For the diesel, it was done at the 4th service or the 60,000 km service and was included in the service package. So 3rd service is in any case not justified. In all likelihood, the SA is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Please check your manual once and see if you even require a transmission oil change at all.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2021 at 10:27. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:10   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
In case anyone is wondering about the boot capacity of the Octavia with the seats down. It gulped up my full sized Montra. I removed the rear parcel tray and pushed down the seats flat. Quite a useful boot eh?
Yes boot is carnivorous. I manage to load both my full size Fuji bicycle and my sons's Montra in the same boot!. Though I have to remove my sons' front wheel for that.
rutvij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:57   #4728

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Got a new battery today and the key is functional again. Didn't have to do the synchronization either.
Its a bit surprising that the battery from the spare key didn't work but maybe its a sign that it may also be almost exhausted.
Interesting, my 2019 1.8TSI L&K faced the same issue- remote battery died on the night I was to travel inter-state (new post for that coming soon ). the battery which died was of the spare key, while the main key battery died a month ago and i thought that was just a random issue. It was really surprising that nearly both died a month apart. Got a new Panasonic battery and it's done the job, but definitely recommend keeping a few spare batteries in the glove compartment. The guy who replaced it mentioned that the keys keep scanning for the vehicle even when sitting idle (not sure about that), and hence the life is limited.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:11   #4729

Noticing some issues with the 1.8TSI L&K 2019 -

1. Rear right window making a screeching sound when I try to lower it. Tried wd40, but still the same, almost like something is jammed in the mechanism. Will have to take it to the workshop over the weekend.

2. The left door ambient light (background light) isn't working anymore. Car is now 1.5 years and I thought that it was too early for something like this to happen. It could be a result of the long road trip I had (may have encountered a big pothole?), but concerning nonetheless. Will go by the guidance of the service mechanics.

3. Had a puncture recently which was fixed at the local petrol pump. Now the silence of the TSI motor in the Octy means that with every rotation of this wheel, I can literally hear the tyre/road noise when the puncture fix rubber hits the tarmac. As miniscule as this sounds, for someone who ends up hearing every little thing in the extremely soundproof Octavia- this is like someone with a jackhammer going at it!

Wonder if anyone else faced either one of these. Trip to the service center is due, though the scheduled service isn't due for another 4K kms at 26K kms.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2021 at 10:27. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 12th January 2021, 22:39   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Common issue with the Octavia key battery. Try swapping with more batteries bought from reputed places. Unfortunately, most CR cell batteries in India are counterfeit.

When you find a reputed source, buy a couple extra and keep in the glovebox.
My car's key came back to life after trying multiple new CR2025 cells from different shops! Finally what worked was a Maxell one. Thinking of ordering a few duracells on amazon assuming they would be genuine, to keep as backup.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th January 2021 at 22:42. Reason: Maxwell > Maxell
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 07:21   #4731
BHPian

Sorry for repost on tyres. I know many discussion have happened but during this lockdown the availability of tyres have fallen. Michelin stock zero, you get goodyear, bridgestone and Yokohoma. And other brands I was not sure could find stock from few providers here. From this point I was suggested.

I wanted to go for wider one but not all 4 tyres are gone, so dont want to waste, so sticking to same size as the other two.

Bridgestone B290 - 91T - This comes with unconditional warranty but the speed rating is low.
Bridgestone Turanza T001 94W - I was thinking this one, but this one is 3 years warranty for manufacture defects only.

Yokahoma Blueearth - 91V not sure how this is in terms of noise and durability.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55 R 16 Tubeless 91 W, need feedback looks like many octy owners have used this.

Any other please suggest, like i said michelin is out of stock here in bangalore.
Old 16th January 2021, 18:17   #4732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Sorry for repost on tyres. I know many discussion have happened but during this lockdown the availability of tyres have fallen. Michelin stock zero, you get goodyear, bridgestone and Yokohoma. And other brands I was not sure could find stock from few providers here. From this point I was suggested.

I wanted to go for wider one but not all 4 tyres are gone, so dont want to waste, so sticking to same size as the other two.

Bridgestone B290 - 91T - This comes with unconditional warranty but the speed rating is low.
Bridgestone Turanza T001 94W - I was thinking this one, but this one is 3 years warranty for manufacture defects only.

Yokahoma Blueearth - 91V not sure how this is in terms of noise and durability.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55 R 16 Tubeless 91 W, need feedback looks like many octy owners have used this.

Any other please suggest, like i said michelin is out of stock here in bangalore.
Using P6 currently in my Octy. Very comfortable and grippy. Coincidentally mileage too has increased. Done about 7k kms including a 2.5k kms Rajasthan trip with very high triple digit speeds for extended runs - on way to Jaisalmer. Excellent breaking without much ado. Supple too with better cushioning and quieter ride. Would recommend the P7 or P6 definitely.
Old 16th January 2021, 20:04   #4733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Continental UC6? Seems to have good initial reviews:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4942201 (Continental tyres)

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th January 2021 at 20:07.
Old 18th January 2021, 16:05   #4734
BHPian

Positive Service Experience with Skoda

Hi all

I wanted to share my experience with Skoda Service - facilitated by PPS Skoda, Bangalore for my Skoda Octavia.

Background:
Recently, I switched from Android to iOS. I realised that Apple Carplay was non functional in the car (Car age at the time of reporting < 2 years). It was a major pain-point as using the phone while driving (without CarPlay) is quite risky and not recommended.

Process:
It took 3 visits to PPS Skoda and 2 of PPS Service Staff visits to my residence to resolve the issue. While it took approximately 1 month for , I am pleased with the willingness to help and the overall support extended by the PPS Service Manager (Mr. Ashwath Hegde) and Skoda Customer Service (Ms. Dhanya).

Timeline:
Day 1: Investigation on the issue and Video Evidence (Done at my premises)
Day 2: Software Update (Done at PPS - Car picked up by PPS: update could NOT be carried out due to connectivity issues at PPS)
Day 3: Software Update (Done at TAFE by PPS Staff, Car Picked up by PPS) - Issue not fixed even after software update
Day 4: Physical Inspection of the Unit for any anomalies (Done at my premises - to seek Skoda approval for replacement)
Day 5: Unit Replaced and final resolution (Done at PPS - Car picked up by PPS)

Outcome:
The head unit was replaced under warranty and the issue has been resolved. My iPhone 11 works 100% as expected.

Observations:
- Mr Ashwath Hegde (Service Manager, PPS Skoda) provided great service and took personal interest throughout the process to ensure that I get a resolution. Kudos to him. He got the Car picked and delivered. It was a great help as Skoda does not have a presence anywhere in the affluent Whitefield neighbourhood in Bangalore after Vinayaka shut shop and TBH is a missed opportunity.
- Ms. Dhanya (Customer Service, Skoda India) made sure that there is attention and progress on the issue.
- The initial feedback from the technical team was that iOS 14 / iPhone 11 is not compatible with Skoda Octavia - which was a bit of shame. Such pointless excuses should have never been communicated to the customer.

Summary:
I for sure feel that Skoda is working hard to change it's perception on A.S.S. and being fairly customer centric. Apart from minor hiccups, I could say that the experience was professional.

Only if Skoda could review some of the weird SOPs (like coolant flush costing > 10K )
Wishing the entire Skoda India team great success with Kushaq and India 2.0.

Best Regards
Shantanu
srvshaun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 11:16   #4735

Hi:

I have been facing this problem last few weeks. No idea as to why it is happening. Now and then both keys fail to work.

Thanks a lot for this post. I learnt that for synchronising we need to use the metallic end to press the start button. was searching for that info all over the place.

Sometimes even the spare one does not work. Not that they are wet or anything close to that. Replaced the batteries also.

Madhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Last week, I encountered an unexpected but strange incident with the remote control key of my Octavia 1.8 tsi L&K.
And I think it's worth sharing here.
MOD NOTE - Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2021 at 10:26. Reason: Mod note attached.
madhurules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 08:00   #4736
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I’m facing a strange issue with my 2018 A7 Octavia.

Whenever I take a turn on a slight incline, there’s a deep humming noise that comes from the front, like something grinding against something else.

Below video demonstrates this.
Link:

I showed this to EVM Skoda during the last service in Jan but they maintain that this is an issue with all Octavia models and I need not be worried. I’m not really convinced with this logic. Can any of my fellow owners suggest if they’re having this issue?

I’ve already written to Skoda customer care on this matter.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:31   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Is the sound more prominent on right hand turns compared to left hand turns? I have had this issue long back, it was due to a wheel hub and bearing issue. Need to revisit my old bills. But get it checked at a good wheel alignment shop, get all that sorted if at all needed and narrow down to the hardware which is at fault. Sometimes even a shot suspension can cause this. Really need to dig deep at the service center for this. Theres no logic to this being a common trait of all Octavias.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 18:14   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Is the sound more prominent on right hand turns compared to left hand turns? I have had this issue long back, it was due to a wheel hub and bearing issue. Need to revisit my old bills. But get it checked at a good wheel alignment shop, get all that sorted if at all needed and narrow down to the hardware which is at fault. Sometimes even a shot suspension can cause this. Really need to dig deep at the service center for this. Theres no logic to this being a common trait of all Octavias.
It's both sides, and when at an incline. On plain roads, I don't normally get this.
I had gotten my tyres changed and alignment done, but the issue hasn't really corrected.

Skoda CC too called me today and said this isn't a common trait and they're getting it checked again.
Old 25th January 2021, 08:45   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
It's both sides, and when at an incline. On plain roads, I don't normally get this.
I had gotten my tyres changed and alignment done, but the issue hasn't really corrected.

Skoda CC too called me today and said this isn't a common trait and they're getting it checked again.
I have this issue ongoing too on my 2017 Octavia A7. I observed this on my long drive recently in the ghats.

Also, after this trip, the car was parked for 4 days. And then it did not start any more. Jump start by road side assistance helped. But I need to replace battery now.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:14   #4740
BHPian

A quick question to Bangalore BHPians. Any idea about PPS Skoda service center? I need to service my Octavia and there could be potential repair work as I'm getting "check coolant" message.

I'm getting a service date from Tafe Kudlu gate for Feb 20 th which is almost a month away. However, not sure about diagnostic expertise from the newer PPS skoda. Please do share any any recent experience on how good/bad they might be analysing a problem in the car and not doing the routine service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks