Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 22:34   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
A mail shot to the customer care of Skoda had this reply.

----
Dear Mr.Gupta,

Greetings from Skoda Auto!!! Acknowledgement

With reference to the query mentioned by you in the below trailing mail, request you to kindly visit the nearest authorized dealer of Skoda for assistance on the same.

Regards,
----

And none of the skoda dealers know when the colours would come out. What baffled me, is that they expect a customer to go to a showroom just for a colour enquiry.

After this bashing, Farenheit Skoda called me up today stating that they are now taking bookings for Rio Red colour also, however the executive wasnt sure about the other 2 colours.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:28   #512
BHPian

Any idea what is the real world mileage for 1.4tsi (NH & city)? ARAI rating says it is 16.x, can we expect 13 in city?
Old 7th December 2013, 15:33   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Any idea what is the real world mileage for 1.4tsi (NH & city)? ARAI rating says it is 16.x, can we expect 13 in city?
dont know much about the 1.4 but my 1.8 is returning 15 kmpl on the highway and 11 kmpl in the city. ARAI claimed 14.7 kmpl in a mixed cycle, so I think its quite close to their claims. Expect similar efficiency results from the 1.4 as well.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 17:19   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
My 1.8 is returning 15 kmpl on the highway and 11 kmpl in the city.
Those figures are quite heartening to read, but I take it your city runs are primarily not in chock-a-block bumper-to-bumper traffic? Anyways, the 1.4 should do as well or better, especially on the highway.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:23   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
dont know much about the 1.4 but my 1.8 is returning 15 kmpl on the highway and 11 kmpl in the city. ARAI claimed 14.7 kmpl in a mixed cycle, so I think its quite close to their claims. Expect similar efficiency results from the 1.4 as well.
That is an impressive figure for a 1.8 liter engine with that much power. My Getz 1.1 returns lesser economy. A few related questions.

1. Are these figures with AC always on?
2. Are the highway figures with a relaxed driving or spirited?
3. On the highways, which mode do you use mostly? D, S or Tiptronic?
4. This is a general question related to cars. As the car ages, does the fuel economy drop? My Getz 1.1, initially was giving me about 16 on the highway and 13 in city. Now this has dropped to about 14 on the highway and 10 in city. Is this because of the car or change in my driving style (I was a learner when I first started driving the car 6 years back)

A few more questions related to the AT.

1. In the reviews, I have read that the DSG is very fast during up-shifts, but is a bit slow during downshifts - especially in the lower gears 3 and below. What is your experience? On highways, when you need to overtake, how do you force the AT to downshift?
2. Are the downshifts smooth? Does the AT perform rev-matching before the down shift?
3. Have you tried the tiptronic mode? Is the tiptronic mode similar to manual mode? Does the car start moving only when you engage the first gear yourself, or does it crawl if you release the brake? Does the car do a rev-matching when you downshift in tiptronic? One of the reasons I am interested in the 1.8TSI is the tiptronic mode and the possibility to later replace the steering wheel with a multifunction wheel with paddle shifts.

Please pardon me for the barrage of questions. I believe you are the one and only one that drives a 1.8TSI AT in the community. And I could not do a test drive as the dealer here does not have the 1.8TSI or even the 1.4TSI for test drive.

Thank you once again for all the information and guidance.
Old 7th December 2013, 18:26   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Wow 15 kmpl is very impressive for 1.8, then I guess 1.4 will give the ARAI claimed 16.x. Old TSI use to have oil drinking issues, hope that's sorted out.
Old 7th December 2013, 19:11   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

After this bashing, Farenheit Skoda called me up today stating that they are now taking bookings for Rio Red colour also, however the executive wasnt sure about the other 2 colours.

I saw this one today in gurgaon. Looks like they have started to deliver the 2 held back

Name:  ForumRunner_20131207_191113.png
Views: 2606
Size:  565.6 KB

colours.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 19:22   #518
BHPian

After several weeks of "to be or not to be", finally booked a 1.8TSI today. Was looking for a silver colour-delivery has been put at end January. The expereince so far:
1. unfortunately, there was no 1.8 TSI to test drive. Had to make do with a diesel elegance and a 1.4TSI petrol driven in sequence. To be frank, am not sure if 1+1=2 in this instance.
2. Ground clearance is good. On the encouragement of the sales agent, went over some pretty rough patches and untarmaced paths-the octavia did not bottom out. 3.The adaptive head lights are brilliant-pun intended.
4. A 2 year unlimited kilometers warranty is included.
5. The "skoda drve assure economy " is included.This includes 0% depreciation+24/7 spot assistance+engine protector. Sales assistant assured me that the plastics and other such items will be covered.The next step up-Tne Drive assure elite- adds "return to invoice". Can someone clarify what this means exactly. The Sales guy's explanantion was not very clear.
6. There is no AMC type plan yet-but something like that for the Rapid is expected.
7. There are no freebies/discounts save for the usual mud flaps, floor mats, antirust coating .

Is there anything more that I need to look for or insist on at this time?
Old 7th December 2013, 20:08   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There are several questions that come to my mind.

1. Does remapping involve just modifications to the ECU or will it require any modifications to the engine?
Remap involves altering values of the ECU and no hardware changes. One cannot distinguish between a remapped & stock car on looks.

Quote:
2. As remapping would void any warranty, I will have to wait 4 years before I could do any remapping, right?
Nope. People at workshop do not have enough knowledge to know whether the car is remapped or not. Even if they find something amiss they would just reload stock remap on the car at most. Later on you can can again head back to your tuner who would flash back the remapped file for free and you are good to go. Rarely does it happen that workshop people re-write the ECU

Quote:
3. Is there any known remapping solution for the 1.4TSI engine?
There should be. As there are remap available for 1.8 TSi, so for smaller sibling 1.4 TSi should also be there. As these engines are quite common across world, there would be plenty of tuners tuning these engines, so you would easily find a solution for 1.4 TSi.

Quote:
4. How much would it cost for remapping?
Price vary from tuner to tuner. Likewise My Fiesta 1.4 TDCi remap cost me Rs. 22000 from Kiirus and same from Pete's was almost double of it. For 1.4 TSi the price should be around 30,000 at most. You can contact Tune-O-Tronics & Kiirus for more information on 1.4 TSi MQB remap.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 20:13   #520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Remap involves altering values of the ECU and no hardware changes. One cannot distinguish between a remapped & stock car on looks.

Nope. People at workshop do not have enough knowledge to know whether the car is remapped or not. Even if they find something amiss they would just reload stock remap on the car at most. Later on you can can again head back to your tuner who would flash back the remapped file for free and you are good to go. Rarely does it happen that workshop people re-write the ECU

There should be. As there are remap available for 1.8 TSi, so for smaller sibling 1.4 TSi should also be there. As these engines are quite common across world, there would be plenty of tuners tuning these engines, so you would easily find a solution for 1.4 TSi.

Price vary from tuner to tuner. Likewise My Fiesta 1.4 TDCi remap cost me Rs. 22000 from Kiirus and same from Pete's was almost double of it. For 1.4 TSi the price should be around 30,000 at most. You can contact Tune-O-Tronics & Kiirus for more information on 1.4 TSi MQB remap.
Thank you for the details, el lobo. I will definitely check this out.
Old 8th December 2013, 03:20   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is an impressive figure for a 1.8 liter engine with that much power. My Getz 1.1 returns lesser economy. A few related questions. 1. Are these figures with AC always on? 2. Are the highway figures with a relaxed driving or spirited? 3. On the highways, which mode do you use mostly? D, S or Tiptronic? 4. This is a general question related to cars. As the car ages, does the fuel economy drop? My Getz 1.1, initially was giving me about 16 on the highway and 13 in city. Now this has dropped to about 14 on the highway and 10 in city. Is this because of the car or change in my driving style (I was a learner when I first started driving the car 6 years back) A few more questions related to the AT. 1. In the reviews, I have read that the DSG is very fast during up-shifts, but is a bit slow during downshifts - especially in the lower gears 3 and below. What is your experience? On highways, when you need to overtake, how do you force the AT to downshift? 2. Are the downshifts smooth? Does the AT perform rev-matching before the down shift? 3. Have you tried the tiptronic mode? Is the tiptronic mode similar to manual mode? Does the car start moving only when you engage the first gear yourself, or does it crawl if you release the brake? Does the car do a rev-matching when you downshift in tiptronic? One of the reasons I am interested in the 1.8TSI is the tiptronic mode and the possibility to later replace the steering wheel with a multifunction wheel with paddle shifts. Please pardon me for the barrage of questions. I believe you are the one and only one that drives a 1.8TSI AT in the community. And I could not do a test drive as the dealer here does not have the 1.8TSI or even the 1.4TSI for test drive. Thank you once again for all the information and guidance.
1) these figures are with AC always on 2) highway drives are a bit spirited means short bursts of power to reach the speed set by the cruise control, or while overtaking 3) i use mostly D and Tiptronic mode 4) in my personal experience the efficiency increases with age of the car provided you use best quality spares and maintain the car through out its life and no major abuses to the engine or other mechanicals. 5) there is a difference between the speed with which the next gear is engaged, and the time interval at which it is engaged. Now while cruising, upshift is early, and while its early, the time taken by the gearbox to shift between the gears is seamless. During spirited driving in S mode, upshifts happen at 4000-5000 rpm. In tiptronic mode you can red line the car before shifting or it automatically shifts on touching the red line to save the engine and gearbox. While decelerating in D mode the car sticks to a higher gear longer than in S mode. In tiptronic mode you can shift down as you wish for eg you can go from 100 kph in 7th gear to 3rd gear with four flicks to the gear stick. Overall the shifts are absolutely seamless and you can only tell as the rpm drops each time there is an upshift that a new gear is engaged. 6) in tiptronic and S mode, the engine's auto blimp feature revv-matches in the most precise and awesome way possible, its addictive. 7) when i need to overtake and need the car to drop a few gears I just increase the acc pedal input and it obeys. Further if you need several downshifts at once, you press the acc pedal to the max depression level and then a bit more, which presses the kick-down button inbuilt in the pedal and then the car goes crazy and leaps ahead after several downshifts at once. 8 ) to start moving you engage the lever in D n take your foot slowly off the brake pedal. You have to press the brake pedal to shift from P to D. It will start crawling upto 10 kmh without any acc input. 9) paddle shifts are a sore miss and is on my list when its available at Skodateile.cz which is the best online store to order your Skoda add-ons. 10) there are several other members who have either booked or just got delivery of the car. Hope they can fill you in too
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
the next step up-Tne Drive assure elite- adds "return to invoice". Can someone clarify what this means exactly. The Sales guy's explanantion was not very clear. 6. There is no AMC type plan yet-but something like that is expected.
Return to invoice simply means that in case some time your car meets with a major accident, and the only option is a cash loss way out, the value that you will receive from the insurer, will include the RTO tax you paid while buying the car. Your almost 1-1.5 lac of RTO tax is covered for reimbursement in case of total-loss. Even I am told that a detailed service plan is being 'calculated' and will be launched soon.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 07:06   #522
BHPian

Quote:
1) these figures are with AC always on 2) highway drives are a bit spirited means short bursts of power to reach the speed set by the cruise control, or while overtaking
Any oil drinking issues with TSI ? Old TSI engines use to have this issue.

Last edited by B747 : 8th December 2013 at 07:07.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:45   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Also I don't know if anyone would have seen the power to weight ratio of both 1.4 TSi & 1.8 TSi, its about 110 bhp/ton & 129 bhp/ton which after a remap on 1.4 TSi should be near about it. Other than that 1.4 has higher torque to weight ratio 198 NM/Ton in comparison to 1.8 182 NM/Ton. My pick 1.4 TSi any day as also its a MT and more fun on highways. No reliability headache of DSG.
Peak torque/ tonne is not that relevant when compared to what rpm range the high torque band spans. The 1.8TSI makes its peak torque 500+ rpm lower than the 1.4TSI and holds it for a longer range. it does not suffer from turbo lag at low rpm because it doesnot need a bigger turbo to reach 250Nm and rated bhp.
That said, 1.4TSI maybe sufficient for many. I would prefer a 1.8 with MT

Last edited by lancer_rit : 8th December 2013 at 10:50.
Old 8th December 2013, 16:50   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I saw this one today in gurgaon. Looks like they have started to deliver the 2 held back colours.
That is good news. The SA here in Coimbatore told me the colors will be available only by mid 2014. I will check with him again.

Quote:
1) these figures are with AC always on 2) highway drives are a bit spirited means short bursts of power to reach the speed set by the cruise control, or while overtaking...
Thank you for the detailed information adi_petrolhead. I am really warming up to the 1.8TSI now
Old 8th December 2013, 19:09   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Any oil drinking issues with TSI ? Old TSI engines use to have this issue.
Oil drinking issues will remain for the initial 10K kms and subside gradually. This TSI is 99% the same engine as the outgoing one with minor tweaks and software upgrades. Also the oil drinking is not a major one if driven and broken in properly.

Last edited by dkaile : 8th December 2013 at 19:10.

Most Viewed