Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 15:58   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I wouldn't go by spec's alone on the torsion beam suspension. I recall reading a couple of posts from the reviewers and GTO, who mention that the diesel Octavia actually felt better planted on highways than the petrol version.
Mulitlink suspension gives the car better ride quality rather than better handling. The torsion beam does not allow the rear wheels to absorb undulations on the road independent of each other. On bad roads the multi link set up will provide better cushioning than the one with the non independent one which results in higher passenger comfort.

One reason why diesel cars feel more planted at high speeds is the higher weight of the engine. Second is the stiffer suspension when compared to the petrol variant.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 16:07   #542
BHPian

One reason to pick the Octavia over the Jetta is that the Jetta might be replaced by an all new model based on the MQB platform in a couple of years. Also in the long run, spare part prices might be lower for the Octavia if the service cost calculator is to be believed. Parts like brake pads are already cheaper than the ones for the Laura.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:50   #543
Team-BHP Support

Though I was looking for a petrol car, a couple of weeks back, I briefly flirted with the idea of going diesel, as the only Octavia available for test drive was a TDI and I loved the torque. But dropped the idea due to the noise levels of the diesel engine.

At that time, I had prepared the following comparison between the Octavia and Jetta. Hope this is useful to other members. Please do point out if there is an error and I will update the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-jetta-vs-octavia.jpg  

graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 22:01   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Please do point out if there is an error and I will update the image.
The Octavia doesn't have USB or Aux and neither does the Jetta. You have to buy separate cables for that to plug in to the proprietary MDI socket. Each costs about 2000 bucks on Skoda's accessory page. Also, Skoda's MFD is an enhanced version of the MFD+ in the Jetta, but the set up menu of the MFD+ is now shifted to the Skoda's Bolero screen and has more customization options now. The Octavia too has Hill Hold feature, though not mentioned anywhere, I can experience it every time. When you TD both the cars, you would probably feel a mild jerk in the Jetta when you engage in to D. While that jerk is absent in the Octavia.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 11th December 2013 at 22:02.
Old 12th December 2013, 06:32   #545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The Octavia doesn't have USB or Aux and neither does the Jetta. You have to buy separate cables for that to plug in to the proprietary MDI socket. Each costs about 2000 bucks on Skoda's accessory page. Also, Skoda's MFD is an enhanced version of the MFD+ in the Jetta, but the set up menu of the MFD+ is now shifted to the Skoda's Bolero screen and has more customization options now. The Octavia too has Hill Hold feature, though not mentioned anywhere, I can experience it every time. When you TD both the cars, you would probably feel a mild jerk in the Jetta when you engage in to D. While that jerk is absent in the Octavia.
Thanks for the corrections, adi_petrolhead. I have modified the table based on your inputs. The RCD510 system in Jetta does have Aux input.

As I do not have an option to edit my original message (due to newbie status?), I am attaching the updated comparison chart here. Also providing more white space in the image to accommodate the TBHP watermark
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-jetta-vs-octavia.jpg  

graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 18:14   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja
Thanks for the corrections, adi_petrolhead. I have modified the table based on your inputs. The RCD510 system in Jetta does have Aux input. As I do not have an option to edit my original message (due to newbie status?), I am attaching the updated comparison chart here. Also providing more white space in the image to accommodate the TBHP watermark
Got a technical doubt . Whats the difference between bi xenon lights and the regular xenons ? And does the jetta get the cornering function too ??.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:55   #547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Got a technical doubt . Whats the difference between bi xenon lights and the regular xenons ? And does the jetta get the cornering function too ??.
The difference between Xenon and Bi Xenon is: When we say Xenon, it usually is a Xenon light for low beam and a regular halogen light for high beam. In a Bi Xenon, both low and high beams are using Xenon lamps. I got the Jetta specifications from the Jetta brochure and they mention only Xenon. However, looking at the picture of the head lamp in their brochure, Jetta also seems to have Bi Xenon.

Octavia has the adaptive frontlighting system which the Jetta brochure does not mention. Check out the below youtube video that demonstrates how an AFS works. It is a cool technology. Maybe adi_petrolhead can give a firsthand information about how good this is on the Octavia.

graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 19:14   #548
BHPian

Quote:

In bi xenon system both high and low beam is produced by a single headlight.
http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovati...einwerfer.html
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 19:45   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja
The difference between Xenon and Bi Xenon is: When we say Xenon, it usually is a Xenon light for low beam and a regular halogen light for high beam. In a Bi Xenon, both low and high beams are using Xenon lamps. I got the Jetta specifications from the Jetta brochure and they mention only Xenon. However, looking at the picture of the head lamp in their brochure, Jetta also seems to have Bi Xenon. Octavia has the adaptive frontlighting system which the Jetta brochure does not mention. Check out the below Youtube video that demonstrates how an AFS works. It is a cool technology. Maybe adi_petrolhead can give a firsthand information about how good this is on the Octavia.
Wow thats one hell of a exciting piece of technology to have. Really a feature worth having and upgrading to the Elegance model makes so much sense now. Are of all the features mentioned in the video available on the Octavia ?.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th December 2013 at 19:47. Reason: removing the quoted video for better readability.
Old 12th December 2013, 19:57   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow thats one hell of a exciting piece of technology to have.
It really is. I am using the same on my superb and it is just wonderful. The same system has now been incorporated in the Octavia. And it is from 'Hella'.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 20:11   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow thats one hell of a exciting piece of technology to have. Really a feature worth having and upgrading to the Elegance model makes so much sense now. Are of all the features mentioned in the video available on the Octavia ?.
Yes. I guess all the features mentioned in the video are available in the Octavia. Check out the Octavia's web page. The first of the ten reasons to buy an Octavia is the AFS. Below is the text from the Octavia's web page.

The Adaptive Frontlight System (AFS) gets automatically activated by light sensors, which switch on the headlights under low light conditions. The AFS headlight control system changes the geometry of the light beam, adapting the light pattern on the road to different driving conditions. It optimises illumination and enhances safety by enabling quicker response to obstacles. It gradually shifts the light pattern so that it does not disturb the driver. In rainy conditions, the frontlight pattern shortens and widens to avoid dazzling effects to occupants.
Old 12th December 2013, 21:32   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The Hill Hold function is integrated into the ESC function - when you activate ESC, a number of functions such as hill hold etc get activated (as per the manual). So, no separate buttons required - it's all done through a single toggle in the touch screen system.

I bought the cables for charging my cell phones and iPod (Rs 2100 each from JMD Auto Thane, Autobahn asking for Rs 3000!) but I just found the rest irrelevant because it's just easier to manage through Bluetooth. Never used the CD or SD card slots either - the CD in particular was a real waste of space for me.

The adaptive lighting and bi-xenons are fantastic, can't live without them anymore.
Old 12th December 2013, 21:59   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are of all the features mentioned in the video available on the Octavia ?.
Yes they are simply amazing! I am yet to check the reaction of the system in rains, but that'll have to wait till July 2014 Rest all features work as described in the video posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
In bi xenon system both high and low beam is produced by a single headlight.
Absolutely! One bulb does the job, the angle of the bulb changes when you activate High beam. But I still dream of BMW's double barrel Xenons and now with Adaptive LED lights instead of Xenons. (5 series of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The difference between Xenon and Bi Xenon is: When we say Xenon, it usually is a Xenon light for low beam and a regular halogen light for high beam. In a Bi Xenon, both low and high beams are using Xenon lamps.
The best part is when they come on, they swivel in all directions to do a preliminary check. Its like a ballad. The bulbs warm up and become brighter. The cornering feature is quite handy as the fog light is turned on in the direction where you are making the turn. Also the curve projectors do an awesome job in improving the visibility. I had xenons fitted on my 2011 Laura. Trust me they were no where close to these OEM Hella AFS units

Quote:
The differences explained above by many, but sadly Jetta does not get Curve Projectors. Thats only possible if you have a vario-projector AFS module, Jetta comes with bi-xenons, with cornering function for the front fog lights only.
Old 12th December 2013, 22:56   #554
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am using the same on my superb and it is just wonderful. The same system has now been incorporated in the Octavia
The Superb does have bi-xenons. Though, during the day when high beam is flashed only the halogens come on. I'm not very sure if this same system has been incorporated in the Octavia & facelifted Jetta.
Old 13th December 2013, 00:18   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
The Superb does have bi-xenons. Though, during the day when high beam is flashed only the halogens come on. I'm not very sure if this same system has been incorporated in the Octavia & facelifted Jetta.
Since Superb has double barrel lamps, along with bi-xenons, you get a double high beam at night, the halogen as well as xenon. But while just using the dipper to pass, day time or when the headlights are not turned on, the bi-xenons don't turn on for some reason. They should turn on I say, may be a VCDS tweak away?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks