Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-photo.png  

slicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 14:29   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks
the race blue color is now available, just got this message
I think Skoda has unofficially launched this colour. I have seen it in bangalore also. The showroom in sadashiv nagar has the race-blue colour. Looks very cool. Good that Skoda is offering wide range of exciting colours. Nice move to tap the younger generation.
Old 21st December 2013, 14:40   #618
BHPian

Need some help, how complicated would it be to upgrade the stereo unit to a better one? If it can be done without compromising any of the features controlled by the MID, which unit can we look at? Plus skoda has shortchanged us by not installing sub-woofer within the dash, can we get it installed? If yes, from where, what type, cost? Any help will be welcome.
Old 21st December 2013, 17:16   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Need some help, how complicated would it be to upgrade the stereo unit to a better one? If it can be done without compromising any of the features controlled by the MID, which unit can we look at? Plus skoda has shortchanged us by not installing sub-woofer within the dash, can we get it installed? If yes, from where, what type, cost? Any help will be welcome.
Skoda has made it more difficult in recent models to open up things and change them with products of your choice. I am pretty sure there is nothing that can be compatible with all the features of the MID. Unless if you go for the Columbus unit, but its not available anywhere as of now. Even in the UK its not available as an OEM upgrade or on ebay as yet. I guess it would be available soon with a price tag of about £1000. Plus shipping to India, round it up to ₹100,000. Even though, opening up the existing stereo is quite complicated that it was in the Laura. Earlier you could change the horns in a Skoda by just lifting the bonnet, now you have to remove the entire bumper to do so. Sad part is, OEM products are so expensive, one doesn't get the value for money you are looking for. For eg, a regular Roots Windtone horn double set is for ₹500, and the similar 'OEM' horns that Skoda is offering is for ₹4500. Plus they will charge for removing and refitting the bumper. Ridiculous move I would say.
Subwoofer too is not available and comes in the UK models only if you opt for the Canton Music package. The subwoofer however in that Canton system too, is placed in the boot. Go to youtube, skoda's UK channel, lots of videos explaining all features of the car. Cheers.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:54   #620
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Just now had a detailed discussion with my SA. This is what I learnt from him.

1. If extended warranty program is not active at the time of taking delivery of the car, and it is announced later, we will not be able to opt for the extended warranty. This is what happened in Hayek's case.
2. If the extended warranty program is active at the time of taking delivery of the car, and if one does not take the extended warranty at that time, he still can avail the extended warranty at the time of first year renewal of the insurance (provided he has taken insurance from the insurance provider with whom the show room has tie up.

So, I have told the SA that I will not take delivery of the car until the extended warranty program is announced by Skoda. Based on the information provided by another TBHP'ian, extended warranty may be announced by February. If this happens before the delivery of the car (approximately scheduled in March), then I will take the car. Otherwise, I will cancel the booking and re-book only when the extended warranty is announced.

Meanwhile, I have told Skoda customer care as well to give a written commitment that I can avail of the extended warranty at a later date. Let us see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I have been chatting constantly with the sales rep at JMD Skoda and she assures me that I will be able to take the Extended Warranty even if it comes out after I've booked the car, no problem. Not asked for a written commitment to that effect, but I think I might do so. Will keep you posted about developments at my end.

Strange how Skoda dealerships are so unclear about what their offering constitutes. I think it was adi_petrolhead who was told that getting the insurance from outside would not stop him from availing of the extended warranty only for him to be told otherwise later. I was quoted either Rs. 72,000 or Rs. 78,000 at the 3 dealerships I visited here and that was a basic comprehensive one, with I think Rs.20,000 added on for zero dep. I went on Bajaj Allianz's website and entered hypothetic details for an Octavia and got a quote of Rs. 55000 approx. When presented with that quote, 2 of the dealers instantly offered to price match it (with the zero dep being extra, I guess), so I reckon I will go for the dealer's offer only because it'll ensure that I can avail the extended warranty whenever it comes out.
Quote:
How very bizarre. I'll be going in on Monday to book the car so I will probe further into this, but considering they will in all likelihood launch the Extended Warranty by Feb, it should well not be an issue. That's assuming it is launched in Jan-Feb!

Makes no sense buying a car where so much can go wrong without an Extended Warranty. Fingers crossed, all will go well. Thanks for the info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Badgered the Skoda SA once more about the issues being discussed.
These were his observations:
1. Regarding the extended warranty:
During their training sessions with Skoda prior to Octavia's launch, this was addressed specifically. The company has instructed the SA's to reassure customers who have booked the car that the extended warranty will be available to them as far as they have inhouse insurance. The reason for insisting on inhouse insurance i believe is that there are no third party authorised service centers for Skoda and Skoda has tied up with Bajaj Allianz for insuring it's cars and for repairs through it's dealers and this was the arrangement worked out between Skoda and Bajaj Allianz.
2.Total maintanance Plan:
Also in the pipe-line-something like an annual maintanance plan. Again will be offered to all customers whenever launched.
3. Cost escalation:
Some escalation is expected early next year-not sure of the exact time. Expectation is that it would not be "large".Last year, the escalation came about the same time for other Skoda vehicles, so there is a feeling that this might be the case this year too.

I am not sure whether this reassured me
I had written to Skoda India asking for clarity on the issue of extended warranty. I received a call from them today. The extended warranty will be launched in 3 weeks. Existing customers will have the option to take the extended warranty at cost. What the cost will be is anyone's guess but I am assuming a hike in the prices in the New Year.
mysticmonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 13:41   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post

I had written to Skoda India asking for clarity on the issue of extended warranty. I received a call from them today. The extended warranty will be launched in 3 weeks. Existing customers will have the option to take the extended warranty at cost. What the cost will be is anyone's guess but I am assuming a hike in the prices in the New Year.
That is great news! Thank you for the update. I will mention this to my SA when I visit the showroom today for color selection.

On a side note, it is good to hear that Skoda responded to your mail. All my mails get redirected to the dealer and I have never got a direct response from Skoda.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd December 2013 at 13:44.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:05   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is great news! Thank you for the update. I will mention this to my SA when I visit the showroom today for color selection.

On a side note, it is good to hear that Skoda responded to your mail. All my mails get redirected to the dealer and I have never got a direct response from Skoda.
I must say I was quite impressed. I had raised the issue of the ipod cable as well. The dealer was taken on call and an appointment fixed up between Skoda India and the dealership. I hope this level of response continues *fingers crossed.
mysticmonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 14:38   #623
BHPian

visited the autobahn prabhadevi, mumbai showroom of Skoda, to check out the Octavia, especially in racing blue, they have the vehicle on display, looks good, the wait on the car is still about 5 weeks for the ambition and 8 weeks for the top of the range. Pricing is way to high, 19+ OTR and 22 for the top of the line.(diesels)

OT, there is a discount of about 1.8 lacs on the 4x2 ambition ,outgoing Yeti models in silver or black as color options.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:44   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
the wait on the car is still about 5 weeks for the ambition and 8 weeks for the top of the range. Pricing is way to high, 19+ OTR and 22 for the top of the line.(diesels)
When I went to book the car yesterday, JMD said that since the plant will be shut in Jan for some time, it could take up to 15 weeks to get the car, diesel or petrol. That was for the Elegance, although I believe 10-12 might be more accurate for the waiting period. Maybe JMD was just playing it real safe...under-promise and over-deliver.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:49   #625
BHPian

Quote:
When I went to book the car yesterday, JMD said that since the plant will be shut in Jan for some time, it could take up to 15 weeks to get the car, diesel or petrol. That was for the Elegance, although I believe 10-12 might be more accurate for the waiting period. Maybe JMD was just playing it real safe...under-promise and over-deliver.
Maybe you could check with Autobahn? if they see a possibility for an earlier delivery, as i was clearly informed, of the delivery time-lines, if you are an existing skoda owner, they will add another 12k as loyalty bonus, provided the car is booked in the same name.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:54   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe you could check with Autobahn? if they see a possibility for an earlier delivery, as i was clearly informed, of the delivery time-lines, if you are an existing skoda owner, they will add another 12k as loyalty bonus, provided the car is booked in the same name.
Autobahn was very flippant when I had talked to them and they never really seemed too enthusiastic about the whole thing. I was told, and I quote, "first give the booking amount and then we'll see" when asked about the possibility of speeding up the delivery timelines (which was 3 months when I had asked, par for the course really). I get the sentiment, but it could have been put across so much nicer. Anyhow, that's that. I spoke with Autobahn Andheri, just FYI, haven't dealt with Prabhadevi at all.

No loyalty bonus for me, I'm a first-time Skoda buyer.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:26   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Autobahn was very flippant when I had talked to them and they never really seemed too enthusiastic about the whole thing. I was told, and I quote, "first give the booking amount and then we'll see" when asked about the possibility of speeding up the delivery timelines (which was 3 months when I had asked, par for the course really). I get the sentiment, but it could have been put across so much nicer. Anyhow, that's that. I spoke with Autobahn Andheri, just FYI, haven't dealt with Prabhadevi at all.

No loyalty bonus for me, I'm a first-time Skoda buyer.
In fact, this is the attitude i anticipated from the dealership, not because of the skoda horror stories on customer approach and after sales etc, but because of the Octavia being so well accepted and in demand, with several bookings registered.

I was pleasantly surprised by the immediate attention and courtesies extended, whilst speaking with the SR and even a follow up email was sent to me, within an hour of me leaving the dealership.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:45   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, this is the attitude i anticipated from the dealership, not because of the skoda horror stories on customer approach and after sales etc, but because of the Octavia being so well accepted and in demand, with several bookings registered.
Haha yeah, that was pretty much it with me too. Asking for discounts elicited pitiful looks and/or peals of laughter from the sales guys. Went with JMD only because of their eagerness and general attitude. Fingers crossed, owning a Skoda will not be nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:51   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Haha yeah, that was pretty much it with me too. Asking for discounts elicited pitiful looks and/or peals of laughter from the sales guys. Went with JMD only because of their eagerness and general attitude. Fingers crossed, owning a Skoda will not be nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Congratulations, the new Octavia is a great car, hopefully your delivery would be within a reasonable time-frame and as assured to you by JMD, good luck.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:09   #630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The waiting time given for my 1.8TSI is 12 to 16 weeks. However, the SA said that Skoda will provide them the production schedule by 20th January and they will be able to predict a more accurate delivery schedule by then.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks