Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 04:29   #646
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Take a breath of relief all future O3 owners. Attached picture shows an email received by me, from head of customer relations Mukul Borkar @ Skoda India HQ Aurangabad.
Thanks adi_petrolhead for the info.
Eagerly waiting for the car but at the same time im a bit skeptical. The thought of taking delivery of a car i haven't even test driven ! Not a single demo 1.8 tsi anywhere! Atleast not in Chennai, Bangalore or Kerala.
How does the car behave in the city? i remember that the octavia 1 rs had a bit of turbo lag. It took a while to hit the power band. How does the new car behave in comparison to the old one? Hoping to hear more about your daily driving experience.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:06   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_navin View Post
Thanks adi_petrolhead for the info. Eagerly waiting for the car but at the same time im a bit skeptical. The thought of taking delivery of a car i haven't even test driven ! Not a single demo 1.8 tsi anywhere! Atleast not in Chennai, Bangalore or Kerala. How does the car behave in the city? i remember that the octavia 1 rs had a bit of turbo lag. It took a while to hit the power band. How does the new car behave in comparison to the old one? Hoping to hear more about your daily driving experience.
Ah even I was skeptical. Even I had not taken a test drive. The first time I ever heard the engine or felt its refinement, was at the stock yard, 5 days before delivery of the car. And I was sold by the mere refinement. I drove it for the first time only after I got the delivery and I never have regretted a minute of it. City driving is effortless given the max torque comes in very early at 1250 rpm. Just a dab of throttle to get u past anything, but note that the DSG is slightly slow to downshift in 'D' mode in the city or even on the highway for that matter. So a quick overtaking in the city will make you flick the gear lever one step down in to 'S' and then all hell breaks loose besides a fuel pump failure, and before that some issue in the catalytic convertor due to additive based petrol, i have not had any major mechanical issues. Build quality could sincerely be better though. The Sunroof emits lot of noise from its inner rubber seals or something when its shut. Its like a noise which seems like constant friction between rubber and metal. Slight bumps in the road will bring out that noise if you test drive a diesel elegance by any chance. A minute noise from the passenger door pad is constantly bugging me, but its not worth complaining and many might not even notice it besides me all the best for your ride! Do post a good picture. Also, requesting everyone here, to post a cool picture of their respective Octavias. Will be interesting to see how many different colors are already here. I know one Rio Red in this thread, but yet to see a Metal Grey or a Blue delivered. Cheers!

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 10th January 2014 at 09:09.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:32   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Ah even I was skeptical. Even I had not taken a test drive. The first time I ever heard the engine or felt its refinement, was at the stock yard, 5 days before delivery of the car. And I was sold by the mere refinement. I drove it for the first time only after I got the delivery and I never have regretted a minute of it. City driving is effortless given the max torque comes in very early at 1250 rpm. Just a dab of throttle to get u past anything, but note that the DSG is slightly slow to downshift in 'D' mode in the city or even on the highway for that matter. So a quick overtaking in the city will make you flick the gear lever one step down in to 'S' and then all hell breaks loose besides a fuel pump failure, and before that some issue in the catalytic convertor due to additive based petrol, i have not had any major mechanical issues. Build quality could sincerely be better though. The Sunroof emits lot of noise from its inner rubber seals or something when its shut. Its like a noise which seems like constant friction between rubber and metal. Slight bumps in the road will bring out that noise if you test drive a diesel elegance by any chance. A minute noise from the passenger door pad is constantly bugging me, but its not worth complaining and many might not even notice it besides me all the best for your ride! Do post a good picture. Also, requesting everyone here, to post a cool picture of their respective Octavias. Will be interesting to see how many different colors are already here. I know one Rio Red in this thread, but yet to see a Metal Grey or a Blue delivered. Cheers!
Thanks for that. You just made my day.

Ive been having sleepless nights seeing all the issues cropping up on other threads regarding the Tsi. And to add to the confusion skoda rejecting the issues. Something fishy, I'd say. Lets see how that goes.

Even after having had issues with the car, u still seem real happy with it. That speaks a lot. So I'm just going to cross my fingers and follow my heart. I'm pretty sure there's no other car anywhere in this budget which could put a smile on my face every time I drive it. Garage days or not , I'm all in
Old 16th January 2014, 22:17   #649
Senior - BHPian

Almost 5k kms in just under 2.5 months is some run!

Full of anxiety for the half of it, but right after the break in period, i let all 177 horses loose and i haven't regretted a moment. Black is particularly difficult to maintain hands down! Plenty of swivel marks all around the car, but once I give it a nice soak n wash, a bit of wax, and its as good as delivery day! It attracts a lot of eye-balls, which I hate as even at a red light, people look and look and keep looking at the car especially at the head lights and wonder if its a bimmer or an Audi.

Its a sleeper, but not stealth at that. Avg. fuel economy over the entire period is 13.0 kmpl. Which given a 50-50 city to highway ratio is decent and under 1.5 kmpl range of the ARAI certified mileage. A small rattle developed and was audible only when the front suspension went through a sudden movement, say a high speed breaker and if I had braked a bit late? Yeah that. But it has now disappeared. As always the turbo spool and blow off whistle is addictive on the highways, and the car touches 140 kph without even noticing. Extremely stable on the highway and nimble in the city.

I have now come to feel that the screen in the centre console could have been bigger. I don't get the point of a smaller screen in an 'upgraded' model. Trying to source the original Columbus but no headway. Also trying to get my hands on a three-spoke steering with paddle shifts.

What else? Well the Oil level just went a tiny bit low, still within 'healthy' range and will get it topped up this weekend. Those thinking if the DSG is really quick or just a marketing trick? Well its lightening fast!! No jerks, no clunking noises, no strain, absolutely butter smooth. The instant auto blip when you downshift in manual mode or in Sports mode, is very precise and helps in fast and rapid braking in case of emergencies.

Few cons: the MDI cable was not supplied and I am using a proprietary cable from my Vento. It does not support my iPhone 5, iPad, etc. Just manages to charge my phone on the move that too at a very slow pace. Now I don't understand why they would not give a proper Aux-in and a separate USB socket. Yeah yeah SD card users, I am using the same as of now, and blue-tooth streaming too. Once the AC stopped throwing cold air even at the lowest temperature. Stopped the car, turned off ignition, restart, done! Started working again. Little embarrassing as I was with my clients and this happened.

The rear seat still throws itself around, the seat locks that were broken during my car's fuel pump change, are still not available at my dealer. I don't know if they are still in memory of the same or not, I do call them every week to remind them though. Want to upgrade the tyres, not that they are not grippy enough, I just want a wider track and a slightly lower profile. Not thinking about changing the rims at all, they are sexy and cleaning them is super easy with 'Chemical Guys' wheel cleaner (visit www.petes.in for more on detailing products). Aah a gentle reminder, everyone who has already got the Octavia, pls post a decent picture of it for everyone's viewing pleasure. Cheers!

Note from Support - Please use paragraphs to make your post more readable and easy to decipher. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd January 2014 at 11:58.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 22:12   #650
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nice to see the Octy receive the award for best mid sizer of the year at the NDTV COTY.
I like the car and think it a well deserved honour.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 08:20   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice to see the Octy receive the award for best mid sizer of the year at the NDTV COTY.
I like the car and think it a well deserved honour.
New octavia is a major success in Europe.
http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...ss-new-models/

"The new models have been very well received - especially the new Skoda Octavia, which is once again proving to be a great hit. In December, Skoda Octavia grew once again in Western Europe with high double-digit growth rates: up 52.3% compared to December 2012. In Europe as a whole, the Octavia recorded an increase of 19.1% in December. "

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2014 at 13:05.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 19:25   #652
BHPian

@adi_petrolhead

Have you driven your Octavia on bad roads ? Is the GC sufficient to take on bad stretches of road ?
Old 19th January 2014, 20:33   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
@adi_petrolhead Have you driven your Octavia on bad roads ? Is the GC sufficient to take on bad stretches of road ?
The ground clearance on paper is slightly lower than the Laura. But having driven both cars I don't feel any difference at all. Been through enough bad roads, sudden dips, sky-scraping speed breakers et all, car never bottomed till date.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:17   #654
BHPian

Any one has more pricing info on the vRS and when it is expected? Supposedly it will be shown in India at the Auto expo next month, I cant wait to get me one of those asap.
Old 19th January 2014, 23:17   #655
BHPian

Team-bhp reviews on Skoda Octavia website...

Was elated to find team-bhp reivews of the skoda octavia on the Skoda-auto.co.in website. THe link is:
http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/models/octavia/Experts-Speak.

Have attached a picture of the screen too.

Hurrah for team-bhp...great going guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screen-shot-20140119-11.12.49-pm.png  

docsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 11:46   #656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also trying to get my hands on a three-spoke steering with paddle shifts.
Have you already sourced the steering wheel? I saw a 3 spoke steering wheel with paddle shifts for Octavia 3, in vagtune store a few days back for around 37K or 43K (when I wanted to check, their website is down today). Looking forward to hear your experience with this.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:03   #657
Senior - BHPian

Everytime I see the new Octavia, you cant lift your eyes off it. If only the company looked after their customers a little better ! Not sure if people outside of forum would be as apprehensive as we are in owning in these great cars.
Old 20th January 2014, 14:43   #658
BHPian

Just finished a month with the Octavia. Clocked 2500 km - mostly city driving. I think I am taking longer routes now . A few quick points that current owners and prospective buyers may keep in mind:
1. There is a rattle in the sun roof. Skoda has gotten in touch but I have not had the time to take it to the workshop. Will be doing that over the weekend.
2. The IPod cable is a rip-off. I have been quoted Rs. 4,500 which is exorbitant.
3. No sight of extended warranty even though Skoda has confirmed that it will be available in due course.
I will put up a detailed ownership thread but for now some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_4525.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_4526.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_4527.jpg  

mysticmonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 14:48   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Just finished a month with the Octavia. Clocked 2500 km - mostly city driving. I think I am taking longer routes now . A few quick points that current owners and prospective buyers may keep in mind:
1. There is a rattle in the sun roof. Skoda has gotten in touch but I have not had the time to take it to the workshop. Will be doing that over the weekend.
2. The IPod cable is a rip-off. I have been quoted Rs. 4,500 which is exorbitant.
3. No sight of extended warranty even though Skoda has confirmed that it will be available in due course.
I will put up a detailed ownership thread but for now some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Think I was behind you last night on DND until you turned off towards Mayur Vihar. Yours is the one of the first Red Octavia's I've seen - really stands out in a crowd!
Old 20th January 2014, 15:04   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Think I was behind you last night on DND until you turned off towards Mayur Vihar. Yours is the one of the first Red Octavia's I've seen - really stands out in a crowd!
Thank you. T'was me on the DND yesterday. Enjoying the exclusivity as long as it lasts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks