Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 15:27   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I had a test drive of the Octavia and Jetta on quick succession and for me, the Octavia's suspension felt noisier and less composed compared to the Jetta. I drove both over rough roads as well as smoother ones and surmised that opinion. Maybe it was all in my head, but that's the conclusion I arrived at.

I honestly can't comment on rear comfort as I sat in the Octavia's rear, but didn't do so with the Jetta, so my rear-seat opinion is half-baked.
Yes it is noisy and less composed, that's felt when you push it hard. Front suspension setup is same in 1.8 TSI and TDI so difference is barely noticeable when you sit in front, but back seat is more comfortable in TSI.
Old 2nd March 2014, 16:39   #752
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Good news for VRS lovers?

Rohin Nagrani of Motoring World tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/rohinnagrani/sta...62114351153153
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2014, 00:23   #753
BHPian

Got to test drive the Skoda Octavia two days back, Pune now has just one Skoda dealership Viiraaj Skoda, which has taken over Asset Auto, the showroom and service centre however remains the same as Asset Auto! I think for an ever growing city like Pune, Skoda India should look at appointing another dealer if it wants grow and sell decent cars!

Ok, so a decently big city, just one dealer, and sadly that dealer has just one demo cum test drive Octavia, with a diesel heart, in the Ambition trim.
Like all other cars I have test driven, I was expecting a top end variant that is Elegance in this case to be a demo/TD car. After three cancelled appointments, me and a friend finally got to test drive the car in heavy traffic that too for a really short distance. We were not offered a longer test drive, for what reason I am still not sure (I was looking more than decent in my clothing that day!).

As soon as I lowered myself in the car and shut the door, something just felt a miss! The door has no reassuring feel associated with European cars and the horn sounds horrible, hilarious to someone who is used to a VW horn! Cranked the engine and car came to life, 2.0L TDI, the engine as they say is legendary. I think it will soon replace the Fiat Multijet as India's national engine!

Shift to first, disengaged the clutch, nothing happens and the car stalls! Whaaaat! I am used to driving diesels and petrols regularly of varied ages and mileage, never has this happened, nevertheless that's my bad!

Drove the car for a while, feels decently quick, the steering is strikingly lighter than the Laura or the Jetta! The tyres were heavily over inflated and I have a feeling that the tyre pressure wasn't consistent on all four tyres. For whatever little distance I drove the car, I felt the car handles cool! But I couldn't understand why the car as a package, just didn't feel like a 20+ lakh INR car. Just didn't feel solid enough IMHO. The sales assistant then took us through numerous features on the central display and the MID. The car has a million features, some of which I probably wouldn't even want to use regularly. And to my eyes the central/audio screen is tilted that minute bit to the passenger side, is it really that way or is it just me?
I didn't bother to check the sound quality, because no matter what, being a self proclaimed ICE freak, I knew I wouldn't like it!

All in all, the car is responsive, the gearbox is a breeze, the clutch too light, the interiors are too bright for my taste, too much beige everywhere doesn't cut it for me. Space is huge inside, numerous nifty features, good for everyday use. Big boot, bland rear!

But at around 23.XX lakh on-road in Pune, I really have my doubts about this car being any value for money! Plus I also have my doubts regarding the new dealership!

Disclaimer, I have nothing against the Octavia, nothing against people who own and love the car, or nothing against Skoda! I am not worried about service issues as I drive a VW and have always had expensive but decent service experiences!
The above piece of writing is just my own little observation and opinion! Its just that I went for the TD all grinning after reading so much about it and it just didn't feel special enough to me! I was hell bent on the 1.8 TSI Elegance, which I still think would be substantially better than the diesel that I test drove, but they really cant expect me to buy a 21.xx Lakh rupee car without letting me test drive it, your bad Skoda!

Also, my father being in the mining industry for around 30 years now, understands nothing but SUVs, sedans are not up to his liking and he questions the logic behind them when capable and convenient hatchbacks are available for much lesser price, that's again entirely his opinion, no offence to anyone. It has always been decently built rough vehicles(read multiple, literally 'multiple' Boleros of which I have lost count and a Scorpio) for our workplace or hatchbacks at home for convenience. And I am so sure he wouldn't like the idea of buying an Octavia, specially after he experiences it!

Next stop was VW Pune West (BU Bhandari Automotive), rich guys I must say! Multiple TD cars, thorough professionals, plus I am an existing customer. Checked the Jetta out, for me it clicked a few more boxes than the Octavia! But that's for another thread.

Last edited by 599gto : 4th March 2014 at 00:33.
Old 4th March 2014, 00:42   #754

Thanks a tonne friends.
Thanks for the various views and reviews on the differrent suspension setups. Seems that I can not settle for anything less than the comfort level I am used to i.e. Multi-Link suspension on my Laura.
Finally I have changed my booking to Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance A/T.
Though the Jetta Highline A/T seemed a nice option, especially after the recent updates. But it looks a bit dated and much similar to a Vento or even a Polo from the front, (no offences towards the Jetta owners); though its a wonderful car, my head felt a little bit cramped at the rear (me being a 6 feeter)
Hope my waiting period doesn't further increases much.

THANKS AGAIN PEOPLE FOR GETTING ME ON TO A CONCLUSION.
Old 4th March 2014, 03:01   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

3. Reported all the rattles and was able to practically make them listen to the rattles. They could only fix 2 out of 5 different rattles I reported, viz. glovebox, rear seat, passenger fromt seatbelt housing, sunroof beading and some weird noise when the car would go over a sharp speed breaker.
So they have taken care of the sunroof rattle, and the rear seat locks which were broken are now fixed. Still 3 irrotating noises remain, for which he told me to take ample time and come again, like I am free to send the car to the service centre again and again, I live 120 kms away from Ahmedabad which is the nearest dealer.
Adi, could you please share what seems to have been causing the sunroof rattle and what they did to fix it? I have barely crossed 1K kms in the car, but, am planning to take it in specifically for them to check that. It is quite annoying, and really the only thing bothering me about the car.

Many thanks for your helpful posts.
Old 4th March 2014, 13:00   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Good news for VRS lovers?

Rohin Nagrani of Motoring World tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/rohinnagrani/sta...62114351153153
What's the point?

It will almost certainly be the regular 1.8 TSI with some cosmetic touches. Not that it's a bad thing, considering that the 1.8 is a fast car. But it won't be the real deal.

I'd love to be proved wrong! C'mon Skoda, let's see a proper vRS with the 2 liter engine, manual 'box and adjustable suspension..
Old 4th March 2014, 21:45   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG111 View Post
Though the Jetta Highline A/T seemed a nice option, especially after the recent updates. But it looks a bit dated and much similar to a Vento or even a Polo from the front, (no offences towards the Jetta owners); though its a wonderful car, my head felt a little bit cramped at the rear (me being a 6 feeter)
Hope my waiting period doesn't further increases much.
Completely agree with you, jetta interiors looks outdated and front is same as a pollo, before the current upgrade it was probably the only car in 20L range without a climatic control AC. Also it's not as peppy as octavia to drive.

Last edited by B747 : 4th March 2014 at 21:48.
Old 4th March 2014, 23:44   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfu67 View Post
Adi, could you please share what seems to have been causing the sunroof rattle and what they did to fix it? I have barely crossed 1K kms in the car, but, am planning to take it in specifically for them to check that. It is quite annoying, and really the only thing bothering me about the car.

Many thanks for your helpful posts.
Really have no idea what actually caused the rattle. I used Abro Silicone Spray and it helps to reduce the rattle which I think is just the rubber seals in the sunroof with the glass. The spray on solution is available on ebay or your local automotive accessory store. It only helpd for about two weeks after which the rattle returned. I complained it to Skoda during the first inspection and i think they did the same thing. Over bad patches of road I can still hear the rattle.
Old 5th March 2014, 07:33   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What's the point?

It will almost certainly be the regular 1.8 TSI with some cosmetic touches. Not that it's a bad thing, considering that the 1.8 is a fast car. But it won't be the real deal.

I'd love to be proved wrong! C'mon Skoda, let's see a proper vRS with the 2 liter engine, manual 'box and adjustable suspension..
As per Rohin Nagrani it will be the 2L TFSI with 220 horses.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:19   #760
BHPian

Just went through the thread. Am planning on a diesel elegance. Spoke to the dealership owner regarding the suspension setup and he was like its as per the expected speed ratings of the engine and the weight they have to carry. I really didn't understand the logic but I'm yet to TD any of the Octavia's yet so can't come to any conclusion.
I do feel the diesel auto is better than the petrol in terms of reliability as one usually has the petrol dsgs acting up be it in the Laura or the superb. My diesel Laura automatic touchwood has never faced any issue and it's done around 70k Kms now!
I'm just surprised that we don't have many options even when willing to spend a good 23 big ones! The only other option I see is to bump up my budget and go for a q3s but then that doesent have any feature at all and is so very basic!
Any idea whether the grey color is out yet on the Octavia??
And current owners how about coming out with your ownership threads. I'm really confused and maybe that could help me make my mind up...
The sunroof rattle is making me reconsider my decision on going for the elegance even though the six airbags does sound appealing especially since I do see myself getting married during this cars tenure...lol
I always self drive though and hence the ride at the back is not very important to me.
Should I wait for the new corolla to come out in flesh or just jump into this car! No excise cut benefits no extended warranty and a long waiting period notwithstanding lol
Old 6th March 2014, 20:00   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Just went through the thread. Am planning on a diesel elegance. Spoke to the dealership owner regarding the suspension setup and he was like its as per the expected speed ratings of the engine and the weight they have to carry. I really didn't understand the logic but I'm yet to TD any of the Octavia's yet so can't come to any conclusion.
I do feel the diesel auto is better than the petrol in terms of reliability as one usually has the petrol dsgs acting up be it in the Laura or the superb. My diesel Laura automatic touchwood has never faced any issue and it's done around 70k Kms now!
I'm just surprised that we don't have many options even when willing to spend a good 23 big ones! The only other option I see is to bump up my budget and go for a q3s but then that doesent have any feature at all and is so very basic!
Any idea whether the grey color is out yet on the Octavia??
And current owners how about coming out with your ownership threads. I'm really confused and maybe that could help me make my mind up...
The sunroof rattle is making me reconsider my decision on going for the elegance even though the six airbags does sound appealing especially since I do see myself getting married during this cars tenure...lol
I always self drive though and hence the ride at the back is not very important to me.
Should I wait for the new corolla to come out in flesh or just jump into this car! No excise cut benefits no extended warranty and a long waiting period notwithstanding lol
The grey colour booking has started in Delhi. It isnt available to see in flesh though.

The new corolla is a good and reliable car but for the diesel it will be a meagre 1.4 engine powering out somewhere between 80-90 bhp ( very underpowered for a 20 lakh car.

Also i have heard more diesel DSG failures in comparison to the petrol counterparts. I would advise you to go for the petrol if the running is not very much .

Or else go check out the toyota on the website and decide for yourself ( it wont impress all by the looks and dashboard it offers - it isnt the executive car it was , it is hanging in a Am-I-an-Executive's car or a Am-I-a-young driver's car.

I would have taken the Skoda over the toyota and the petrol variant instead of the diesel (but thats me, it totally depends on you in the end.)
Old 6th March 2014, 20:24   #762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Also i have heard more diesel DSG failures in comparison to the petrol counterparts. I would advise you to go for the petrol if the running is not very much .
Are you sure about this?

AFAIK- DQ 200 found in the petrol has been the problematic box. Also- Octavia 1.8 TSi is running the most extreme state of tune this box can handle (250 NM)
Old 6th March 2014, 21:23   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Just went through the thread.

The sunroof rattle is making me reconsider my decision on going for the elegance

You are correct in terms of the diesel being the more reliable of the two, particularly with a DSG fitted to it. I'm surprised you haven't been able to get a Test Drive though. Even so, I'd say that the sunroof rattle by itself shouldn't deter you from buying the car.

Considering the Corolla and this is considering two very different types of cars. I'd suggest you wait for the A3. Should be a little bit more than the Octavia, and it is short on space at the back but that shouldn't matter to you as you say. It's a few months away, so by the time it launches your Octavia should be here given how long the wait for some is

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Also i have heard more diesel DSG failures in comparison to the petrol counterparts. I would advise you to go for the petrol if the running is not very much.
I'm with CrAzY dRiVeR on this. It's always been the inverse of this, what makes you say this? Friends/Family with DSG failures? I've only ever heard of a couple diesel DSG's giving up the ghost, and that too on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are you sure about this?

AFAIK- DQ 200 found in the petrol has been the problematic box. Also- Octavia 1.8 TSi is running the most extreme state of tune this box can handle (250 NM)
You said it boss. the DQ200 is the problematic box and it's running right on the edge of its limits. Constant stop/start driving was another issue since it heated up the box and caused it to go kaput. They say the change in oil will solve the issue, but only time will tell if it is so.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:27   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm with CrAzY dRiVeR on this. It's always been the inverse of this, what makes you say this? Friends/Family with DSG failures? I've only ever heard of a couple diesel DSG's giving up the ghost, and that too on here.

You said it boss. the DQ200 is the problematic box and it's running right on the edge of its limits. Constant stop/start driving was another issue since it heated up the box and caused it to go kaput. They say the change in oil will solve the issue, but only time will tell if it is so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are you sure about this?

2 people can't be wrong on the same thing.

But i have known more people driving the diesel than the petrol and most of them have multiple failures on the same car. But that might also mean that I haven't got to know about the petrol failures.

I would still choose the petrol, being the more spirited one.
Old 7th March 2014, 01:53   #765
BHPian

Quote:
You are correct in terms of the diesel being the more reliable of the two, particularly with a DSG fitted to it. I'm surprised you haven't been able to get a Test Drive though. Even so, I'd say that the sunroof rattle by itself shouldn't deter you from buying the car.

Considering the Corolla and this is considering two very different types of cars. I'd suggest you wait for the A3. Should be a little bit more than the Octavia, and it is short on space at the back but that shouldn't matter to you as you say. It's a few months away, so by the time it launches your Octavia should be here given how long the wait for some is

Haven't got around to test driving the cars yet not that they aren't available or anything it's just a time constraint on my part. The sunroof rattle is making me think twice of the elegance model and not the car though.
The A3 while sounding appealing is not going to be as practical as the Octavia which is at the moment comparable to an A4. I do not care much for the brand as much as I do for the car in itself ( I own a rexton which while many might not find appealing but I find to be much more of a highway cruiser than a fortuner can ever be) so the audi does not appeal much to me.
I agree with you over the auto box issue and apart from my own diesel Laura's gearbox still going strong iv only heard of petrol dsg failures and never of any diesel dsg failure as yet! People tend to forget that even audi mostly sells their diesel variants as opposed to petrol and both these cars share a lot of components and it's mostly been the petrol variants that have been problematic!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks