Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:31   #916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Definitely agree, atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen so we all are getting it free of cost.
Finally someone agrees to my argument many of my colleagues believe it is better to get "Nitrogen" rather than normal air in cars like BMW's and Mercs.
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:28   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Every time you fill up the tyres, you have to set the TPMS "SET". If you don't set it up, it will remain deactivated. Till date I set it about 4-5 times, and never got any warning message, although each and every time when I went to refill the tyres, the pressure was down by 4-5 psi than normal.
Skoda TPMS is not based on pressure sensor, it works by sensing rpm of the wheel, low pressure will cause diameter changes and that particular wheel will have to rotate more to match with others, this why it cannot detect small changes in pressure like 1-2 psi.
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:11   #918
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Skoda TPMS is not based on pressure sensor, it works by sensing rpm of the wheel, low pressure will cause diameter changes and that particular wheel will have to rotate more to match with others, this why it cannot detect small changes in pressure like 1-2 psi.
low pressure causing slightly lesser diameter => wheel RPM slightly higher than other wheel --- I can understand this for the 'undriven' wheels.
But how about the driven wheels ? wont the diff just send slightly more power to the low pressure 'driven' wheel to rotate it more than the corresponding correct pressure 'driven' wheel ? I am confused about how it works.
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:42   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
low pressure causing slightly lesser diameter => wheel RPM slightly higher than other wheel --- I can understand this for the 'undriven' wheels.
But how about the driven wheels ? wont the diff just send slightly more power to the low pressure 'driven' wheel to rotate it more than the corresponding correct pressure 'driven' wheel ? I am confused about how it works.
As you mentioned the low pressure wheel has to rotate more, this difference in wheel rpm is what it detects. This rpm difference will happen irrespective of whether it is a driven wheel or not.

Last edited by B747 : 3rd April 2014 at 15:44.
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:14   #920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Just a wild question.
Doesnt the tyre pressure monitoring system start showing warnings in case pressure goes up by 2/3 psi, which is pretty common
The TPMS that we get works through the ABS sensors in the wheels. They sense the speed each wheel is running at. Once you set it after filling air, it caliberates itself to that pressure. If a wheel is losing air the speed at which it rotates will be different from the others, and the TPMS will pick up on that and give you a warning. Generally this works much better on smooth roads at near constant speeds, since its much easier for the system to figure out the rotation. On our bumpy city roads, with bumps, etc everywhere sometimes the pressure has to drop 6-7 sometimes even 10psi for the TPMS warning to come on.

Also when all the tyres pressure goes up, there is no difference in the rotational speeds between them, hence you won't get any warning.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 18:22   #921
BHPian

There is a notification everytime I switch off the car for check safe lock owners manual!
I checked the owners manual and haven't been able to figure out the reason for the notification everytime.
Can anyone please suggest or is anyone else facing this notification.
Old 5th April 2014, 18:33   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
There is a notification everytime I switch off the car for check safe lock owners manual!
I checked the owners manual and haven't been able to figure out the reason for the notification everytime.
Can anyone please suggest or is anyone else facing this notification.
The door locks are blocked automatically if the vehicle is locked from the outside. Afterwards, it is not possible to open the doors with the door handle either from the inside or from the outside.
This fact is pointed out by the following message on the display of the instrument cluster after switching out the ignition.
If the vehicle is locked and the safe securing system is switched off, the door can be opened separately from the inside by a single pull on opening lever.
Why do they give the warning is because if we lock the vehicle with people inside then they will not be able to open it in case of an emergency.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:13   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
How long have you waited for Sunny310c, and when is the dealer saying he'll deliver the car? Elegance waiting periods are extraordinarily long, so maybe a bit more patience is in order. The Jetta is a good choice, but perhaps you could wait for the A3 too.
Not very long at all, just been 3 weeks. The dealer said it would take 4 months at the time of the booking. I am the patient kinds, believe me, I waited 3 years to make the buying decision cause I couldn't find a car that had the right combination of performance, safety, gadgets and looks. Having said, I don't want to wait 4 - 6 months only to be told that I would have to wait another few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would suggest you check with your dealer once again before making any decision. Find out how many cars on an average they get every month and what is your number in the waiting list. Waiting times may vary from city to city. The delivery time I mentioned is in Coimbatore which is a tier-2 city and also for a petrol Elegance, which happens to have the worst lead time. I guess Hyderabad is a tier-1 city and tier-1 cities may get more allocations than tier-2 cities. Also, as iliketurtles mentioned Elegance trim has a longer waiting time than the Ambition trim. Good luck
Well, I have opted for the Elegance petrol so I know I have to wait quite a bit. In fact, of all the Octavias I have seen on the road, I have only seen 1 Elegance. Not sure if that was a diesel or a petrol. As for the Ambition trim having a shorter wait time, that is true. I called up my dealer yesterday to check if he had any updates on the delivery time. He told me if I was okay with the Ambition trim, he could try and get one for me as early as next week. In fact, he was pushing me to go for the Ambition saying I would only miss out on the Bi Xenons and the Sunroof. When I asked him why he was pushing me to take the Ambition, he said the Elegance might take 6 months now. Don't know what to do. I am prepared to wait even if its 6 months but I want to know that at the end of the wait, the car will be delivered. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that my dealer has any clue when he can deliver the car.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:36   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I am prepared to wait even if its 6 months but I want to know that at the end of the wait, the car will be delivered. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that my dealer has any clue when he can deliver the car.
The problem is no matter how straightforward your dealer is he can't give you a straightforward answer as he'll be in the dark over he delivery pipeline. What makes matters worse is that hardly any cars are being delivered relative to demand.

Wait it out since a 6 month waiting period is ok with you, which really is a whole lot if you ask me. Keep pushing the dealer in the interim and assess where you stand 4.5-5 months in, cancelling your booking if you absolutely have to. Here's hoping you have your car soon!
Old 6th April 2014, 17:13   #925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I am the patient kinds, believe me, I waited 3 years to make the buying decision cause I couldn't find a car that had the right combination of performance, safety, gadgets and looks. Having said, I don't want to wait 4 - 6 months only to be told that I would have to wait another few months.

I am prepared to wait even if its 6 months but I want to know that at the end of the wait, the car will be delivered. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that my dealer has any clue when he can deliver the car.
Quote:
The problem is no matter how straightforward your dealer is he can't give you a straightforward answer as he'll be in the dark over he delivery pipeline. What makes matters worse is that hardly any cars are being delivered relative to demand.
+1 to iliketurtles. When I talked to the dealer, though he projected a delivery time of October for my car (against my booking last December), he was quite frank that there is no guarantee for that as well. In my opinion, getting an Octavia has become like winning a lottery!

If you have the time to wait, then you should definitely wait as you will not find a petrol car like the 1.8TSi Elegance anywhere below the BMW 328i (not even the Audi 1.8TFSi as it has the CVT gear box that would kill the fun), which I believe is 20L more.

As iliketurtles mentioned, wait it out for 4 to 5 months. If you do not get a definite delivery schedule by then, you can always cancel and go for a different car.

Good luck
Old 7th April 2014, 11:02   #926
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to iliketurtles. When I talked to the dealer, though he projected a delivery time of October for my car (against my booking last December), he was quite frank that there is no guarantee for that as well. In my opinion, getting an Octavia has become like winning a lottery!

If you have the time to wait, then you should definitely wait as you will not find a petrol car like the 1.8TSi Elegance anywhere below the BMW 328i (not even the Audi 1.8TFSi as it has the CVT gear box that would kill the fun), which I believe is 20L more.

As iliketurtles mentioned, wait it out for 4 to 5 months. If you do not get a definite delivery schedule by then, you can always cancel and go for a different car.

Good luck
Hi Graaja,
initially itseems you were very much interested in buying the 1.8l tsi varient.
however due to the longer waiting period you changed the decision.
Is it you bought the diesel Jetta since the 1.8l tsi has longer waiting period?
Forum members - in terms of maintenance is the 2l diesel much higher from long term point of view in comparison to 1.8l tsi?
Old 7th April 2014, 13:56   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Forum members - in terms of maintenance is the 2l diesel much higher from long term point of view in comparison to 1.8l tsi?
Don't think so, Skoda has a service cost calculator in website, check that. Also many people in forum claim that VAG TDI engines are more reliable than TSI engines, so long term maintenance cost should be less for a TDI.
Old 7th April 2014, 15:03   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think so, Skoda has a service cost calculator in website, check that. Also many people in forum claim that VAG TDI engines are more reliable than TSI engines, so long term maintenance cost should be less for a TDI.
HI B747,
i checked the service cost calculator site, the diesel and petrol versions show almost same cost of service. But this service estimate shows only the Oil and Fluids. The repair items and other wear and tear items like brake pads, clutch, suspensions, etc have to be manually selected. I am not sure if there are any parts which will be need to be replaced earlier in the 1.8 tsi or the 2l tdi.
Main thing we need to consider i think are replacement parts which are likely to be changed and then compare the cost for those items. i dont have such a great idea about the cars to make such a comparison and analysis :(
Old 7th April 2014, 15:12   #929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Hi Graaja,
initially itseems you were very much interested in buying the 1.8l tsi varient.
however due to the longer waiting period you changed the decision.
Is it you bought the diesel Jetta since the 1.8l tsi has longer waiting period?
Yes. The only reason I cancelled the booking for 1.8TSi and bought the Jetta diesel is because of the indefinitely wait time.
Old 7th April 2014, 19:37   #930
BHPian

Quote:

Wait it out since a 6 month waiting period is ok with you, which really is a whole lot if you ask me. Keep pushing the dealer in the interim and assess where you stand 4.5-5 months in, cancelling your booking if you absolutely have to. Here's hoping you have your car soon!
Thanks. Am going to wait it out and keep checking with the dealer every 2 or 3 weeks. Want him to understand that I want the Elegance and nothing less .

Quote:

Good luck
Thanks.

The only problem with waiting this long is that some of the reliability and A.S.S problems that Skoda are notorious for start to play on your mind. I know buying a Skoda is a risk and its a risk that I have decided to take but all of this waiting makes you rethink your decision simply because there isn't much else to do. If I had got the car within the usual 3 - 4 weeks that it takes for most cars, I wouldn't have had much time to mull over things. I would have been preoccupied with all the excitement and anticipation of getting my hands on the car and before I knew it, I would be heading to the showroom to pick it up. Anyway, it is what it is. Will stay the course and wait it out. Just hope it's worth the wait.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks