Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 12:47   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Did you check when the engine was cold? In the MID there is an Oil temperature display, check the level when the oil temperature is 60-70 degrees C. That should give you an accurate reading. If the light did not turn on, don't bother topping up. Keep a liter bottle with you in the boot.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 13:07   #1097
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Yes I want to use VW 507 only, thanks for the info.
No low oil light, when I checked it is in the mid portion of the marker so I thought it is better to top up as this weekend I will be going for a long drive.
In that case just buy a bottle and keep it in the car if needed. Top up when the light comes on. Mid portion of the marker is fine IMO, but better to have the bottle of oil just in case.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 13:15   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Did you check when the engine was cold? In the MID there is an Oil temperature display, check the level when the oil temperature is 60-70 degrees C. That should give you an accurate reading. If the light did not turn on, don't bother topping up. Keep a liter bottle with you in the boot.
Yes checked it when it was cold, sure I will check it when hot, after a run and waiting for 10-15 mins to oil to return to sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
In that case just buy a bottle and keep it in the car if needed. Top up when the light comes on. Mid portion of the marker is fine IMO, but better to have the bottle of oil just in case.
Sure, I will keep one bottle ready before my trip.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:13   #1099
Senior - BHPian

I'm in a soup over the Octavia Ambition and the Jetta Highline, posted a question here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3493211

please help
Old 4th August 2014, 00:43   #1100
BHPian

guys, i need some help from our BHPians in bangalore. My uncle is going to take delivery of a white Octy elegance automatic on 7th of august. He is actually from pondicherry and due to the long waiting lists in chennai, he had booked it in vinayak motors, bangalore. He is planning to take bus doen to bangalore, get the car and drive it back. I want to know if the stock goodyears are upto the mark, or should i ask him to replace it with better ones. If so, which ones and where? he has to get the tyres changed if that is the case and drive back the same day, so I'll have to contact the shop beforehand and set up an appointment. We are totally alien to bangalore and its areas so any help in this regard would be deeply valued.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:21   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
guys, i need some help from our BHPians in bangalore. My uncle is going to take delivery of a white Octy elegance automatic on 7th of august. He is actually from pondicherry and due to the long waiting lists in chennai, he had booked it in vinayak motors, bangalore. He is planning to take bus doen to bangalore, get the car and drive it back. I want to know if the stock goodyears are upto the mark, or should i ask him to replace it with better ones. If so, which ones and where? he has to get the tyres changed if that is the case and drive back the same day, so I'll have to contact the shop beforehand and set up an appointment. We are totally alien to bangalore and its areas so any help in this regard would be deeply valued.

PM Nikhil of Madhus Bangalore, he is the guy to go to for tyres in Bangalore. BHPians get a better deal too at his place. Search the directory section for further details.

The stock goodyears are decent but if you are planning to change them better do it when they are new.
Old 4th August 2014, 11:55   #1102
BHPian

I have decided to book the elegance 2.0 dsg at Vinayak skoda Bangalore. I am being asked to sign a disclaimer saying I will wait for 6 months for delivery. Is this normal, have anybody else also signed any of these please let me know
Old 4th August 2014, 14:58   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Stock tyres are good, they are wide and provide sufficient grip, only -ve is that tyre noise is bit high. It is not like the new Honda city in which it is an absolute necessity to change as tyres are too skinny.
Old 5th August 2014, 00:00   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
PM Nikhil of Madhus Bangalore, he is the guy to go to for tyres in Bangalore. BHPians get a better deal too at his place. Search the directory section for further details.

The stock goodyears are decent but if you are planning to change them better do it when they are new.
Thanks a lot Robimahanta. Any ideas on the brand to go with? And another but off topic matter.. Totally in love with what you have done with your polo!! Mind blowing and practical at the same time. Love it, hats off man. Been following your polo TSI thread even before I got my membership approved.
Old 5th August 2014, 00:35   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Robimahanta. Any ideas on the brand to go with? And another but off topic matter.. Totally in love with what you have done with your polo!! Mind blowing and practical at the same time. Love it, hats off man. Been following your polo TSI thread even before I got my membership approved.

Thanks Nikhil. In my Laura I have used Michelin Primacy LC, Pilot Sports 3 and currently using Conti SportsContact 3. I was really impressed by the PS3's but they are unavailable now. Continentals are pretty decent as well. Even SportsContact5 is available now and a friend of mine swears by it. If you are not into performance tyres then Michelin P3ST is value for money. I am sure Yokohama and Pirelli have some good options as well.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 01:59   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Thanks Nikhil. In my Laura I have used Michelin Primacy LC, Pilot Sports 3 and currently using Conti SportsContact 3. I was really impressed by the PS3's but they are unavailable now. Continentals are pretty decent as well. Even SportsContact5 is available now and a friend of mine swears by it. If you are not into performance tyres then Michelin P3ST is value for money. I am sure Yokohama and Pirelli have some good options as well.
As the car is going to be driven sedately most of the time, I think I will go with Michelin P3ST itself. A silent ride is paramount. Thanks for the help, going to call Madhu tyres tomorrow. Anybody I can ask for who us familiar with Tbhp?
Old 5th August 2014, 10:34   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car is going to be driven sedately, what's the problem with stock Goodyears? They are very good tyres for regular driving, I have not faced any issue with them on my Laura with respect to grip or noise. You need to find some other excuse to change them :-)
Old 5th August 2014, 10:36   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If the car is going to be driven sedately, what's the problem with stock Goodyears?
By all accounts, those Goodyears get hard after 10-15k kilometers and become much noisier. If road noise is a concern, it's best to swap them out at the earliest to get the best value for them.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:03   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
By all accounts, those Goodyears get hard after 10-15k kilometers and become much noisier. If road noise is a concern, it's best to swap them out at the earliest to get the best value for them.
Not from my own experience: 38000 km done. Nothing alarming about the noise. These are decent tyres really. And mine is a TSi and is driven like a TSi :-)

Of course there can be better tyres out there but what I find funny these days is people change the stock tyres because that seems to be "the in thing to do" :-)
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:22   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Not from my own experience: 38000 km done. Nothing alarming about the noise. These are decent tyres really. And mine is a TSi and is driven like a TSi :-)

Of course there can be better tyres out there but what I find funny these days is people change the stock tyres because that seems to be "the in thing to do" :-)
I think you after you switch them you will realize what all of us are barking on about these Goodyears. If you find them acceptable even after 38000kms then you are in for a pleasant surprise when you switch them out. The Goodyears are horribly noisy and the ride is stiff, no 2 ways about that.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th August 2014 at 11:27.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks