Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 18:40   #1141
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honestly, the Octavia 1.8 TSI itself is supremely fast. Additionally, it retails at 22 lakhs in Mumbai and I doubt there's any scope for a vRS at a higher price.

But then, Skoda has recently changed its focus to the premium segment only. Maybe, they should just offer every kind of variant they can.

Personally, give me a 6-speed manual with the Octavia 1.8 TSI and I'm happy. However fast a DSG might be, manual is manual. Period.

Hi GTO,

Are you aware of any news abt Manual Octy TSI launch? I guess, the laura had manual TSI engine i beleive, based on the threads i see on this forum. Any insights on the same??
Old 13th August 2014, 13:29   #1142
BHPian

Having test driven a bunch of cars in the 15-25 L range, I decided it was time to try Octavia TD even though it was not in my original list. So I decide to call Vinayak motors in Bangalore. This is how the conversation goes

Me: I am interested in Octavia. Can you arrange for test drive?
Salesman: Petrol or diesel
Me: Diesel
Salesman: The waiting period for the car is 6 months.
Me: Did I ask you what was the waiting period? I asked for a TD
Salesman: Fine sir. You can come to the showroom and do a TD
Me: Can you bring it home?
Salesman: Not possible sir. It is out.
Me: Can you bring it tomorrow?
Salesman: Fine sir.. I will bring it.

There was no interest in getting my details nor was there any interest in figuring out a convenient time. I have test driven Jetta, Elantra, Corolla and XUV and every one of the dealers at least tried to get the vehicle for TD.

No wonder everyone warned me to stay away from Skoda. If this was the attitude before I even bought the car, I shudder to imagine what t till be after I buy it.
Old 13th August 2014, 14:11   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Having test driven a bunch of cars in the 15-25 L range, I decided it was time to try Octavia TD even though it was not in my original list. So I decide to call Vinayak motors in Bangalore. This is how the conversation goes

Me: I am interested in Octavia. Can you arrange for test drive?
Salesman: Petrol or diesel
Me: Diesel
Salesman: The waiting period for the car is 6 months.
Me: Did I ask you what was the waiting period? I asked for a TD
Salesman: Fine sir. You can come to the showroom and do a TD
Me: Can you bring it home?
Salesman: Not possible sir. It is out.
Me: Can you bring it tomorrow?
Salesman: Fine sir.. I will bring it.

There was no interest in getting my details nor was there any interest in figuring out a convenient time. I have test driven Jetta, Elantra, Corolla and XUV and every one of the dealers at least tried to get the vehicle for TD.

No wonder everyone warned me to stay away from Skoda. If this was the attitude before I even bought the car, I shudder to imagine what t till be after I buy it.
Check with Tafe access , if needed I can give you reference. Even I faced similar issues with Vanayak but my experience with Tafe sales has been very good.
Old 13th August 2014, 17:02   #1144
BHPian

My guess is dealers do that when they know there is a long waiting period for a particular model. Same was the case when I wanted to TD the GT TSI. Before offering the TD, what the SE told me was it will take atleast 8 months to deliver the car. Then he surprised the proposed buyer saying VW is looking into some technical issues with the DSG box and something like they might stop production.

I think its their way of discouraging customers towards a low production model or something.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:16   #1145

Hi,
I will be taking delivery of a White 1.8 TSI elegance on 25th Aug. Just wanted to write here because there is a lot of discussion on price and notice period.

PRICE 1.8 TSI
Individual Registration Mumbai with Octroi is 22,09,115
Company Registration Mumbai with Octroi is 24,00,344

DRIVE ASSURE

The above price includes the Drive Assure Component and it is only available from Bajaj.

DELIVERY PERIOD

1. I booked mine on 5th June, and was told that I would have to wait 6 months.
2. On July 31 I got a call saying they have a 1.8TSI in white and that I can pay up

3. In reality, my wait time was about 3 months. The dealer indicates that supply has started. Although 80 % of the production is diesel.

4. Except 1.8 TSI Elegance and 2.0 TDI elegance, wait times are are shorter. I was getting 1.4 TSI as ready delivery.

Lastly no freebies, not even a mudflap or mats.
Old 18th August 2014, 19:16   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeck View Post
Hi,
I will be taking delivery of a White 1.8 TSI elegance on 25th Aug. Just wanted to write here because there is a lot of discussion on price and notice period.

PRICE 1.8 TSI
Individual Registration Mumbai with Octroi is 22,09,115
Company Registration Mumbai with Octroi is 24,00,344

DRIVE ASSURE

The above price includes the Drive Assure Component and it is only available from Bajaj.

DELIVERY PERIOD

1. I booked mine on 5th June, and was told that I would have to wait 6 months.
2. On July 31 I got a call saying they have a 1.8TSI in white and that I can pay up

3. In reality, my wait time was about 3 months. The dealer indicates that supply has started. Although 80 % of the production is diesel.

4. Except 1.8 TSI Elegance and 2.0 TDI elegance, wait times are are shorter. I was getting 1.4 TSI as ready delivery.

Lastly no freebies, not even a mudflap or mats.
Congratulations. Enjoy the beast.
With waiting period of 6 months why will they give freebies, btw car comes with a good mats. Any modifications planned?
Old 18th August 2014, 20:04   #1147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeck View Post
Hi,

Wow. You are quite lucky to get an Octy, that too a 1.8tsi in 3 months. Enjoy the beast! If the waiting period comes down, that definitely is going to be a great news for petrolheads.
Old 18th August 2014, 20:05   #1148

I do expect the dealership to provide the mats and mudflaps for free as a way of saying "thank you for riding with us", but sadly in this case nothing is offered. After a lot of arguments found out the following:

1. The car is already treated for paint protection and is polished before delivery, so allegedly there is no need for Teflon coat

2. Undercarriage coat is also not recommended because of a rough road package that is apparently fitted

3. I have no intention of carrying out any modifications whatsoever except getting some sun shades fitted along with VKOOL sunfilm and some thermoplastic film (3M). Covering corners and leading / trailing edges costs about 9,000/- . (Whole Car is 90,000/-)

4. Went competitive shopping for insurance and got a shocker. The insurance and drive assure offered by Skoda Dealer in association with Bajaj Allianz works out to about 91,000 put together. However, looking at ICICI and HDFC Ergo, the cost comes to about 41,000/- but it is not a strict apple to apple comparison. So have decided to stick with Skoda and get shafted in the first year. Primarily because the other two dont cover rodent damage as my neighbor found out with his BMW 320 and a 300,000 repair bill post his 15 day vacation.
Old 18th August 2014, 20:19   #1149

The effective price list for the Petrol Octavia for those who are inclined to get into details. Prices are for mumbai and thane. Sorry for the picture quality, but i don't have a scanner handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-petrol.jpg  

Old 18th August 2014, 22:54   #1150
BHPian

Even after octroi Mumbai is about a lac cheaper than Bangalore. Sad…
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 23:33   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Like you, I too called up Skoda dealers to see what the Octavia has to offer for comparisons sake. My experience was much better with Vinayak than Tafe. The Vinayak SA asked me when he could bring the car home than the other way around and was also more knowledgeable. Tafe guy was also willing to bring the car home,but this was after me asking him to do so.

Interestingly the Tafe guy quoted 8k(23.50 vs 23.58) less for the 1.8tsi,not sure if the difference was in insurance. But both chorused on about the wait time and how the Octavia is in great demand!

I was surprised to learn that the Octavia 1.8 is almost 2 lakhs more than the 2.0 tdi Jetta Highline MT.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:54   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Asked Dealer again today, what happened about the video they had recorded and sent to Skoda HQ. No proper response, and said he'll come back to me after one more week. Great in'it? Lets not take this lightly.. I'll suggest all of you give my example to your respective Skoda dealerships and get them to record a video and send it to the company. Collective complaints will work.

Also feel free to go and check on their test drive cars too, thats how I was sure that I am not alone, all their three TD cars had the same noise.

The lubricant is a hopeless solution, which works only for 4-5 days. The noise is now back on the LHS orvm also. Now I keep them in the always open setting, so that I dont start my day with a 'kut kut kut kut kut' and end it that way too!!
So a video was taken when i visited the workshop but then the mechanic opened up the side view mirror assembly and lubricated the parts properly and touchwood the issue hasn't come back up yet even though its been 10-15 days.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:00   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
the mechanic opened up the side view mirror assembly and lubricated the parts properly and touchwood the issue hasn't come back up yet even though its been 10-15 days.

Hope they can do this for me also, I did insist them to open up the covers but they themselves were not confident of putting it back together!
Old 20th August 2014, 14:46   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hope they can do this for me also, I did insist them to open up the covers but they themselves were not confident of putting it back together!
If they are not so sure themselves, better not to let them handle. They have to be sure of the location of the locks and which way to apply pressure to release 'em without breaking the locks.

When a new model comes it takes a while before every technician learns all about it and there is a first time always. Unless they read the service manual for every small job. Some skilled ones will be smart enough to do the job without damages though. Best bet is to refer manual and do the dismantling. They have it but many times they take short cuts and try figuring it out themselves.

It's not a big deal. But I've seen it being opened with the locks broken while at it. So just a heads up since you said they were not confident. The reason why they are not confident is that if they break the locks they can't box it back and will have to bear the cost of the replacement.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:58   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
So a video was taken when i visited the workshop but then the mechanic opened up the side view mirror assembly and lubricated the parts properly and touchwood the issue hasn't come back up yet even though its been 10-15 days.
Same in my case, they lubricated it and I am not facing it anymore, it has been almost 2.5 months so I assume it is completely solved.

Last edited by B747 : 20th August 2014 at 17:59.

Most Viewed