Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 17:59   #1186
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Congrats Suhaas. Do watch out for the oil consumption initially. Keep a litre of oil in the boot handy.

The TSI is known to drink oil in the early days.
Thanks Vid. *thumbs up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Well that changes things a bit. I certainly got that wrong!

I'd be bummed out to see a 1.8 TSI in the family and get no time with it lol
Don't listen to Vid, he's just jealous!

I've been hogging the car since we got it home. Not sure how long it would last though

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Yup, figured as much. Worked out well though, it's a great colour for someone older.
Great colour, yes! Also, minor scratches don't show up as much.

I'd have loved to get it in red, or black. But Cappuccino Beige is lovely too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nice buy Suhaas. Its a terrific car

Even I struggled with the non linear power delivery that comes with TC'ed cars initially. Its now become a habit leaving a huge gap between me and the car in front. Coming from the Civic you'll love the abundant torque available across the rev range.

Mileage will improve slightly after about 5k kms. But you'll be hard pressed to get better than 7 kmpl in Bangalore Traffic. I find that as long as the car is in motion, mileage rarely drops below 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Congrats and welcome to the TSI DSG club. Hope your car gives you many miles of reliable motoring. These cars are absolutely fantastic when they work.

Mileage is very sensitive to traffic - on bad days going cross town in Bombay, I get as little as 3-4 kmpl on my Superb, but my overall average is about 7. Highway drives at a reasonable steady pace (80-90 kmph) will give as much as 15-16 kmpl.
Thanks Santosh Bhat and Hayek. Reassuring to know that the mileage isn't as bad as the MID indicates.
Old 13th September 2014, 18:09   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it, courtesy a cancellation! The car has barely done 150 km so attempting to start an Initial Ownership Report wouldn't do it any justice. I'm targeting the month of November as we should have logged in the miles by then, considering that we have a Goa drive scheduled for the first week of that month.
Congratulations... So that's why you were asking about the DSG lag!
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 22:26   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
We have sold our November 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S. Took delivery of our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG within one month of booking it, courtesy a cancellation!
Congrats Suhaas, looks lovely, c.beige is not at all a bad shade, among Skodas , it's my second choice after silver. As for the fuel consumption, I feel a little better about my TJet's drinking habits thanks to your post
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 08:56   #1189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Vid. *thumbs up*

Don't listen to Vid, he's just jealous!

I've been hogging the car since we got it home. Not sure how long it would last though.
Liar!!

If you've been hogging the car why have you not got it to meet all of us. We only want to see it

Or by hogging you mean with your dad sitting next to you
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 09:17   #1190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Liar!!

If you've been hogging the car why have you not got it to meet all of us. We only want to see it

Or by hogging you mean with your dad sitting next to you
How often have I been able to turn up at meets? Work beckons, Saar.

Let's plan something next Sunday, if work doesn't call and if you can get your car started *wink-wink*

Just kidding

Back to the topic.

Queries:

- I need some clarity on Starscream's post. Leaving it in P at a traffic signal may prove to be disastrous if you get rear ended as it hurts the transmission. Do you have more details on this, Starscream? Viddy?

Also,

- I expected the boot-lid to rise on using the remote boot-release a-la the VW Jetta, but it just pops-open. Is this something that can be tweaked using VCDS or is it because it's a notchback and the motor can't cope with the added weight of the rear windscreen?
Old 14th September 2014, 09:40   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suhaas. Welcome to the Club.

I am sure you will try to find reasons to drive this car.

As for the lag, you will get used to managing it and it will be a piece of cake then.
Also thinking about the mileage in this car is "Irrelevant". Though on an average you should get nothing less than 8-9 in city (traffic taken into account also).
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 10:38   #1192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Queries:

- I need some clarity on Starscream's post. Leaving it in P at a traffic signal may prove to be disastrous if you get rear ended as it hurts the transmission. Do you have more details on this, Starscream? Viddy?
If you get read ended, the transmission will be the least of your worries. You don't have to leave it in P at the signal. Even N is alright.

D at long signals should be avoided.

Besides how many times are you expecting to get rear ended.

Quote:
Also,

- I expected the boot-lid to rise on using the remote boot-release a-la the VW Jetta, but it just pops-open. Is this something that can be tweaked using VCDS or is it because it's a notchback and the motor can't cope with the added weight of the rear windscreen?
It's a notch back, so It will not pop out like the Jetta. The reason is because of height. You don't want it hitting a low height ceiling in the indoor parking.

Secondly, the Octavia boot lid is not not electric at all, it's got struts like hatchbacks. Only the boot release mechanism is electric.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 11:55   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you want to shift to P at some traffic signal, just put it to D and keep the brake pressed if its for short time or pull the handbrake.

If its for a very short period, its OK to just press the brake pedal with the car in D, the transmission automatically engages the clutch on its own.

Only thing to avoid in a DSG(or any other automatic) is trying to hold the car on a gradient using throttle for an extended period of time.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:00   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, the Octavia boot lid is not not electric at all, it's got struts like hatchbacks. Only the boot release mechanism is electric.
Even New Jetta has gas-struts / electric boot release setup. But these struts have enough force to lift the boot lid.

Even though Octavia is a notch-back, if the struts are properly selected, it can lift only the boot opening of the notch-back. Any way, there is another interlock below the glass, which will prevent the notch-back from completely opening.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:11   #1195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Even New Jetta has gas-struts / electric boot release setup. But these struts have enough force to lift the boot lid.
Is this a recent change? I remember seeing it as spring loaded.

Quote:
Even though Octavia is a notch-back, if the struts are properly selected, it can lift only the boot opening of the notch-back. Any way, there is another interlock below the glass, which will prevent the notch-back from completely opening.
I didn't understand this part chethan. How will it only open boot part? Unlike the superb there is no interlock for glass and boot area. This is like the Laura and old Octavia. One piece hatch.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 19:31   #1196
BHPian

Quote:

I didn't understand this part chethan. How will it only open boot part? Unlike the superb there is no interlock for glass and boot area. This is like the Laura and old Octavia. One piece hatch.
Yes Vid it is one piece in Octavia so it cannot be opened by two step process.
Old 15th September 2014, 22:53   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_6759.jpg

Not sure about this at the time of launch. But my car (2013 model) has it.

Quote:
Sorry. My mistake. I somehow thought that the mechanism was the same for all these 4 cars..

Last edited by Chethan B G : 15th September 2014 at 22:56.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:46   #1198
BHPian

My 1.8TSi has completed 6500 KM over a 8 month period. I had initially been getting regular petrol at my neighbourhood Indian Oil outlet. A couple of months later, drove into a Shell outlet that is enroute to my place of work. Was coaxed into getting the Super Petrol. I have used this ever since-about 4500KM perhaps.
I am getting about 10.5km/L as an average over the last several months (calculated tankful to tankful). My driving is a half and half mix of city and ring roads. The a/c is on all the time and is set to 'low' power.
The best milage so far,however, was on the bangalore-chennai highway. With the cruise control set at 110km/h, the driving data was showing around 16km/L over most of the open stretches-of which there are many on this route.
What is the gyan about the Shell Super Petrol. Obviously, the Shell guys think it the fuel from the Gods...what about us ordinary mortals?Is there a true value proposition in paying the premium that this fuel is priced at?
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:00   #1199
BHPian

Guys,
Even though the dealers say 6 months waiting period for any model, did anyone get it earlier than 6 months in Bangalore?
I am planning to book one this week.
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:35   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Guys,
Even though the dealers say 6 months waiting period for any model, did anyone get it earlier than 6 months in Bangalore?
I am planning to book one this week.
We got our 1.8TSI in about a month thanks to a cancellation. Although we couldn't choose our colour, we aren't disappointed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks