Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:14   #46
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Thanks Vidyut and Stratos for the Excellent review of an Excellent Product.
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:15   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Both petrol engines produce 250 NM of torque which is strange given the difference in outright power and capacity. However, the 1.4 peaks a little later and the torque band is considerably narrower. Is there a noticeable flat-spot between delivery of peak torque and peak power in the 1.4 when compared to the 1.8?
Why should there be a flat spot? Torque and power are 2 different things?

The 1.8 TSI is limited because the gearbox can only take 250Nm torque upto a safe spec.

Quote:
- Is the difference in suspension setups noticeable even under moderately spirited driving? Does it mar the overall driving experience?
Only if you drive spirited or uneven roads. Not on good roads. If it's for your dad, he won't even realise.

Quote:
- It's disappointing that Skoda hasn't offered the Elegance trim on the 1.4. The bi-xenon lights and sunroof are features worth having IMO.
Actually it's quite clever. How many people will pay 2 lakhs more for the top end trim but settle for a 1.4L engine. The 1.4 TSI Ambition is a brilliant package and it's cheaper than the Jetta 1.4 TSI Comfortline.
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Great review Vidyut! *thumbs up*

I have a few queries and observations based on what I've read:

- Skoda continues to persist with the 7-speed dry-clutch DSG on the 1.8 TSI and it baffles me.

- Both petrol engines produce 250 NM of torque which is strange given the difference in outright power and capacity. However, the 1.4 peaks a little later and the torque band is considerably narrower. Is there a noticeable flat-spot between delivery of peak torque and peak power in the 1.4 when compared to the 1.8?.
The 7 Speed DSG is a bread and butter gearbox for VW group. There have been reports that they have made the necessary changes to the Mechatronics unit and software to sort the issues. Expect better reliability going ahead.

Both petrol engines produce 250Nm of torque because thats the maximum torque this gearbox can handle. I assume the 1.8L can produce much more than that.
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the difference in suspension setups noticeable even under moderately spirited driving? Does it mar the overall driving experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Only if you drive spirited or uneven roads. Not on good roads. If it's for your dad, he won't even realise.
The torsion beam setup is noticeably more skittish than the multi-link suspension over rough roads, especially on curves, only if you are driving spiritedly, and evaluating the cars back-to-back. At lower speeds there is no perceptible difference.

I didn't feel it to be too uncomfortable in the front (though the difference was noticeable), but a passenger in the rear seat might desire a little less of the jitters for his money.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd October 2013 at 16:41.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:30   #50
BHPian

Vid6639 Can you throw some light about the Low speed ride quality of this car? Your report mentions the behaviour of this car mostly on highways and ghats. Also in terms of relative comparison how does it fare?
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review!!

It was definitely worth the wait!

Quote:
Interiors : Rear
A major disadvantage of the Laura is actually one of the Octavia’s strengths now.
Thanks to the longer wheelbase, the rear seats no longer feel cramped. Skoda claims that rear legroom is up from 47 mm (in the Laura) to 73 mm (in the Octavia), resulting in ample space even for a 6 footer like me.
I quite don't get this. How can a 26 mm (73mm- 47mm = 26 - about 1 inch) increase make such a huge difference in the legroom? Or is it about the placement of the seats?
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:43   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why should there be a flat spot? Torque and power are 2 different things?..
Sorry if my question came off as a little amateurish.

The 1.4 delivers its peak torque of 250NM between 1500-3500 RPM. I'm assuming that post 3.5k revs, the torque tapers away. Peak power starts at 4.5k revs. Post 3.5k (up to 4.5k revs) the torque dips and the engine is still not spinning fast enough to make peak power. Hence the slightly noob question.

Quote:
The 1.8 TSI is limited because the gearbox can only take 250Nm torque upto a safe spec..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
The 7 Speed DSG is a bread and butter gearbox for VW group. There have been reports that they have made the necessary changes to the Mechatronics unit and software to sort the issues. Expect better reliability going ahead.
Remapping the 1.8 TSI would be out of the question.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:05   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I didn't feel it to be too uncomfortable in the front (though the difference was noticeable), but a passenger in the rear seat might desire a little less of the jitters for his money.
At the back it's not bad but the difference is definitely noticeable. I sat in the back for more than an hour in both cars and while I appreciated the plush ride of the multi-link, I was not uncomfortable in the torsion beam 1.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Vid6639 Can you throw some light about the Low speed ride quality of this car? Your report mentions the behaviour of this car mostly on highways and ghats. Also in terms of relative comparison how does it fare?
Low speed ride is great in the 1.8 TSI multi-link but slightly stiff in the torsion beam. I've actually mentioned that sharp edges filter through in the torsion beam setup but are damped in the multi-link better. The multi link suspension is quieter as well. Difference is felt only when driving back to back. Else both have ride quality of a very high order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I quite don't get this. How can a 26 mm (73mm- 47mm = 26 - about 1 inch) increase make such a huge difference in the legroom? Or is it about the placement of the seats?
There are other factors involved. You will agree that 47mm mentioned for the Laura is less than 2 inches and there's no way the Laura had less than 2" legroom at the back. The figure given by Skoda is probably the minimum legroom at the back with front seats all the way back. In reality rear seat space is brilliant and even more than what I have in my Altis. It's very spacious compared to outgoing Laura.

Quote:
The 1.4 delivers its peak torque of 250NM between 1500-3500 RPM. I'm assuming that post 3.5k revs, the torque tapers away. Peak power starts at 4.5k revs. Post 3.5k (up to 4.5k revs) the torque dips and the engine is still not spinning fast enough to make peak power. Hence the slightly noob question.
There is no direct relation between torque and horse power. Rather than going into the physics of torque and power I'll give you one example which shows that both don't correlate.

In the specs table, look at the Altis. Peak torque is 173Nm @ 4,000 rpm and peak power is 138 BHP @ 6,400rpm. Does that mean there is a flat spot between 4,000 rpm and 6,400 rpm?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd October 2013 at 17:09.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:38   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At the back it's not bad but the difference is definitely noticeable. I sat in the back for more than an hour in both cars and while I appreciated the plush ride of the multi-link, I was not uncomfortable in the torsion beam 1.4.
At a 1.2L higher price point for the 2.0 TDi versus the 1.8 TSi, I would be unhappy with (even a little) poorer ride quality!
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:45   #55
BHPian

Vidyut, fantastic review of one of the most eagerly anticipated automotive launches of the year! Rates a well deserved 5 stars.

Have to say the legend is well and truly back. However here are some minor grouses, if you will:

The 1.8 TSI offered only with the (prone-to-failures) 7-speed dry-clutch DSG is a trifle disappointing. Add to that, you'd have to stretch for the Elegance trim. Why strive to make this powerplant unpopular with (or out of reach of) us enthusiasts?

- The different suspension setups that Skoda has chosen to employ across the diesel and petrol variants reeks of cost-cutting to me. Not cool for a 2 million rupee flagship car.

- While the Ambition trim is handsomely loaded, I would've still liked to see HIDs on it; definitely not plain halogens. Those headlamps scream for projectors man.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 3rd October 2013 at 18:01.
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
At a 1.2L higher price point for the 2.0 TDi versus the 1.8 TSi, I would be unhappy with (even a little) poorer ride quality!
Pure opportunistic pricing isn't it?

The 1.8 TSI AT is better than the 2.0 TDI AT in almost every way you can imagine, except running fuel cost.
- More powerful engine.
- High tech, silky smooth petrol engine with lesser NVH
- 7 Speed DSG Vs. 6 Speed DSG
- Multilink rear suspension

Yet the diesel is priced higher! They're just milking the Indian customer's obsession with FE which the diesel version can satisfy.

I just get a feeling that with this Octavia the diesel petrol split may not be that skewed in favour of the diesel, as the 1.8 TSI AT looks like a much better value proposition.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 3rd October 2013 at 18:19.
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:14   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I just get a feeling that with this Octavia the diesel petrol split may not be as skewed in favour of the diesel, as the 1.8 TSI AT looks like a much better value proposition.
Don't forget the manual transmission also. The 1.4 TSI 6 speed manual is 1.6 lakhs cheaper than the 2.0 TDI manual. Both engines put out identical horsepower.

1.6 lakhs just for the fuel that goes in is a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Since there are two different suspension system how are they attached to the chassis? Are the chassis different based on the model? as in the rear mounting points for suspension?
Chasis is same but it has mounting points provision for Multi link and torsion beam.
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Don't forget the manual transmission also. The 1.4 TSI 6 speed manual is 1.6 lakhs cheaper than the 2.0 TDI manual. Both engines put out identical horsepower.
1.6 lakhs just for the fuel that goes in is a big difference.
Add the discounts on petrol variant sometime down the lane, difference will be much more than that
According to carwale, 2.0 TDI Elegance in comparison to Ambition gets 6 in place of 2 airbags, xenon lamps, sunroof and of course DSG but for 4.86 L more ? . There may be a few nifty things but it is almost into
the superb territory. AT box on Ambition is however just about 1.25L more than MT.

Excellent and much awaited review. Thank you
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Superb review Viddy! Truly deserves the 5 stars!
Your attention to detail is very evident in all the reviews you have done. As is now expected from an official review, this one covers all the points a buyer looks for, while making the purchase. Notwithstanding the brilliant pics, this review is marvellous!

Coming to the car now. I am known to be a sucker for Skoda cars. Having used the old Octi, the Laura and the Superb, I have truly been spoilt by the Germans.
I was looking forward to this review, as the Laura is now ageing and was looking for a replacement. Who knows, maybe the Laura has found its perfect replacement!

That said, I would still stay away from the 7 speed DSG; having burnt my hands with a Mechatronic failure. And what they say is true- once bitten, twice shy! No matter how many times I am assured of the damn thing being fixed, I'd still be wary of buying one.
The diesel would obviously be a perfect choice for many, and the one to bring maximum moolah to Skoda.
The best option would've been - the 1.8 TSI in a 6 speed Manual! Imagine having your cake, and eating it too

However, a 5 year warranty, or at least a 2+2 (extended, and paid) warranty shoud've been on offer. Who knows, maybe they will introduce it in the near future.

The car will cool in the Audi Race Blue, or what?!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 3rd October 2013 at 18:44. Reason: Added text
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:52   #60
BHPian

Excellent review Vidd. In my opinion Octavia is very good car and has been a successful launch for Skoda in International market. The prices are bit higher than what I expected. In India, Skoda has a bad reputation due to sales and service network, they should have kept the prices bit lower to attract more buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks