Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 18:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABbaby View Post
Just got done with the TD on the diesel elegance. Liked the width of the car, the steering felt good and the uncluttered instrument cluster was also nice to look at. The ride quality was average while the guys have done a pretty good job keeping the cabin insulated from engine noise. The best part of the car was the engine and gearbox. Very responsive and linear. The worst I would have to say is its rear end. Can easily pass of as a rapid to the untrained eye! I am still confused between this (or the 1.8tsi) and the 320d. Can't decide what's the right thing to do. Would be delighted if anyone can help me decide!
320d any day! - If you like to drive and can afford it.

Havea look at Jetta Tdi 2.0 HL AT - I think some dealers in Bangalore and Mysore have it in stock. May be available in Mumbai too.. You may like it.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th October 2013 at 18:58.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 19:06   #137
BHPian

Quote:
I am still confused between this (or the 1.8tsi) and the 320d. Can't decide what's the right thing to do. Would be delighted if anyone can help me decide!
What is important for you, you have not stated here. And also you need to TD the 1.8 TSI and not the 2.0 TDI diesel Octavia to get the right perspective of this car with 320d. If your priority is ultimate control - direct steering, RWD dynamics, brand image, real power on tap, then you know its a 3 series (petrol or diesel doesn't matter). But if you want space, back seat space, plaint ride quality, more boot space, it has to be the Octavia. REMEMBER both these cars are very different, each positive of one is the negative of the other and vise-versa. The only so called similarity between the two is similar bhp (older 320i, 320d - 2007 - 2010) but how that power is delivered is entirely different in both the cars. And you will get a used 3 series 2009-2011 for about the price of new Octavia. If you are lucky might get 2012 F30 for about 25L.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 6th October 2013 at 19:11. Reason: add content
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 20:48   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
On Road Individual Mumbai Prices

Diesel
Active-MT- 18.98 L
Ambition-MT-20.18 L
Ambition AT- 21.38 L
Elegance- AT-23.76 L

Petrol
1.4 Active-16.72 L
1.4 Ambition-17.90 L
1.8 Elegance- 21.74 L
Quote:
I am still confused between this (or the 1.8tsi) and the 320d. Can't decide what's the right thing to do. Would be delighted if anyone can help me decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
In Bangalore, VW is offering Jetta DSG for 23 lakhs on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
320d any day! - If you like to drive and can afford it.

Havea look at Jetta Tdi 2.0 HL AT - I think some dealers in Bangalore and Mysore have it in stock. May be available in Mumbai too.. You may like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
If you are lucky might get 2012 F30 for about 25L.
All the above statements and the prices in MUMBAI, clearly indicate that the car is over priced.

People are already choosing between OCTAVIA and Superb, JETTA and now we have 320d too on the list.

Is this a classic case of over pricing and killing a competent product ?

Previous examples: (JAZZ,NEW FIESTA)

The apprehension that surrounds SKODA A.S.S and the lack of SKODA shield is not going to help the case either.

Last edited by F150 : 6th October 2013 at 20:55.
F150 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 21:09   #139
BHPian

Maybe the new Octavia is priced as such so as to launch the facelift Superb with the 177hp 2.0 TDI and 2.0TFSI? Both engines are seen in the Audi Stable.

This would further push up the pricing upwards with the top-end Superb costing about 30 on road? Right where the automatic Audi's start.
Old 6th October 2013, 22:35   #140
BHPian

I don't get this, if Skoda is pushed close to Audi where will VW stand, its blurring the lines between well defined brands, this will erode brand loyalty. Or may be just that Skoda is over milking the Octavia brand.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 01:05   #141
Senior - BHPian

Drove an Octavia this evening. Its way lighter than the laura in terms of build quality and also road feel. The power output on the 2.0 DSG Diesel is fabulous and addictive. The engine sound does come though a lot into the cabin when one presses on the pedal The brakes are par excellence. The quality of interiors is insanely good for a car this price and the overall looks are very very classy. The 2.0 DSG in Ambition Trim costs around 19.3L on road with a Haryana registration and it seems a lil pricey. The 1.4 TSI wont be available till next year according to the dealer and the 1.8TSI is in short supply. The dealer said he would sell it at a premium as its an enthusiasts car. He doesnt believe that he will sell huge numbers of this spec. It is apparently the car one wants to drive when one drives on his own.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 01:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get this, if Skoda is pushed close to Audi where will VW stand, its blurring the lines between well defined brands, this will erode brand loyalty. Or may be just that Skoda is over milking the Octavia brand.
Completely agree with you that Skoda's pricing strategy and positioning doesn't make sense. Its leaving very little room for jetta and passat to monouver.

Quote:
What is important for you, you have not stated here. And also you need to TD the 1.8 TSI and not the 2.0 TDI diesel Octavia to get the right perspective of this car with 320d. If your priority is ultimate control - direct steering, RWD dynamics, brand image, real power on tap, then you know its a 3 series (petrol or diesel doesn't matter). But if you want space, back seat space, plaint ride quality, more boot space, it has to be the Octavia. REMEMBER both these cars are very different, each positive of one is the negative of the other and vise-versa. The only so called similarity between the two is similar bhp (older 320i, 320d - 2007 - 2010) but how that power is delivered is entirely different in both the cars. And you will get a used 3 series 2009-2011 for about the price of new Octavia. If you are lucky might get 2012 F30 for about 25L.
The TD of the 1.8tsi is high on my list. I am looking for something which is for me to drive so I really appreciate good driving dynamics. I have TD the 320d and absolutely love it. its a perfect package of performance, looks and practicality. However it's about 10lacs more than what I expect to pay for the 1.8tsi. That's when the mind starts confusing the heart. I have been looking out for a sparingly used f30 but so far have been unsuccessful so far. If I am able to snag one at around 25 that would be a dream come true.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th October 2013 at 11:15. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit option if posting within 30mins in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:54   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with you that Skoda's pricing strategy and positioning doesn't make sense. Its leaving very little room for jetta and passat to monouver.

The TD of the 1.8tsi is high on my list. I am looking for something which is for me to drive so I really appreciate good driving dynamics. I have TD the 320d and absolutely love it. its a perfect package of performance, looks and practicality. However it's about 10lacs more than what I expect to pay for the 1.8tsi. That's when the mind starts confusing the heart. I have been looking out for a sparingly used f30 but so far have been unsuccessful so far. If I am able to snag one at around 25 that would be a dream come true.
You must understand that Skoda makes premium cars with premium quality materials. Its impossible for VW to reposition it lower than VW cars in India. There is talk about how Skoda will be positioned below VW but i think thats absolute nonsense. The Octavia feels and looks more premium than the Jetta and how can we expect it to come cheaper than the Jetta? If for example VW had a cheap car brand like Dacia, maybe then they could have positioned Skoda as a lower end brand using cheaper to construct cars. Who can stand up and tell me that the Superb feels less premium than a Passat or that the Superb is cheaper to make for the VW Group.

The Point is that Skoda does not have budget cars (or lets call them budget constructed cars) in their stable.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 13:16   #144

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20131007_124856.jpg

This is with respect to the comment that the Octavia looks strikingly similar to the rapid from behind or can be mistaken to be a rapid. Well guess who else looks pretty similar?
singhangad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 14:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Drove an Octavia this evening. Its way lighter than the laura in terms of build quality and also road feel. The power output on the 2.0 DSG Diesel is fabulous and addictive. The engine sound does come though a lot into the cabin when one presses on the pedal The brakes are par excellence. The quality of interiors is insanely good for a car this price and the overall looks are very very classy. The 2.0 DSG in Ambition Trim costs around 19.3L on road with a Haryana registration and it seems a lil pricey. The 1.4 TSI wont be available till next year according to the dealer and the 1.8TSI is in short supply. The dealer said he would sell it at a premium as its an enthusiasts car. He doesnt believe that he will sell huge numbers of this spec. It is apparently the car one wants to drive when one drives on his own.
Adding to your post, I had booked the TSI on the day of pre-launch, 16th September, and was promised that the car will be delivered to me between 5th and 15th October. They even insisted that I will have to opt for Skoda Finance and Insurance, which i declined. An email to Skoda Customer care fixed that, and now I am free to opt for my own Finance option and Insurance policy. Now, the dealer earlier told me too, that I would have to pay Rs. 25000 extra for the TSI if i did not opt for the Skoda Finance. Now when everything is settled and I was confirmed the charge will not be levied from me, the statements of the dealer have changed. They are now not sure when the car will arrive and when they would deliver it. "Sir, 15-20 din lag jaega, even one month or so" I have a feeling I am being ripped of. Torque Automotive, pls take note if you are reading this post. Also, when I asked them to check at the HQ about the stipulated dispatch date(I was given one when I bought a Laura 2 years back) she declined again, saying they cannot ask at the HQ, the stock will automatically be displayed when replenished!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th October 2013 at 17:08. Reason: please restrict smiley usage to TWO per post. Thanks :)
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 15:08   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Adding to your post, I had booked the TSI on the day of pre-launch, 16th September, and was promised that the car will be delivered to me between 5th and 15th October. They even insisted that I will have to opt for Skoda Finance and Insurance, which i declined. An email to Skoda Customer care fixed that, and now I am free to opt for my own Finance option and Insurance policy. Now, the dealer earlier told me too, that I would have to pay Rs. 25000 extra for the TSI if i did not opt for the Skoda Finance. Now when everything is settled and I was confirmed the charge will not be levied from me, the statements of the dealer have changed. They are now not sure when the car will arrive and when they would deliver it. "Sir, 15-20 din lag jaega, even one month or so" I have a feeling I am being ripped of. Torque Automotive, pls take note if you are reading this post. Also, when I asked them to check at the HQ about the stipulated dispatch date(I was given one when I bought a Laura 2 years back) she declined again, saying they cannot ask at the HQ, the stock will automatically be displayed when replenished!
Thats what the dealer was saying to me... we have 1 piece of the 1.8tsi and we will sell that at a premium. Also when i did my own math on arriving at the on road price for the diesel, i bumped off 30000 from the Insurance figure quoted. I could see him turn red and i figured it would be a tough battle if i did go ahead with the same. Skoda guys need to realize that if we are ready to give their cars a go inspite of the horror stories flying around, they better give us first class treatment.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:19   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Skoda guys need to realize that if we are ready to give their cars a go inspite of the horror stories flying around, they better give us first class treatment.
For buying a 20L plus car, I at least expect them to give me an ETA for the vehicle? But no, thats too much to ask from Skoda.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:28   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead
For buying a 20L plus car, I at least expect them to give me an ETA for the vehicle? But no, thats too much to ask from Skoda.
My goodness !! . From your experience it shows the audacity of the Skoda dealers . I just dont understand why these guys lose their heads and wits just because they have a competent car on their side . I dont give the car its due credit if i am not treated properly by their staff . Thats really sad Skoda !!
Red's is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:06   #149
Senior - BHPian

The cars pricing is treading into premium category. But Skoda mostly sells its cars in India on discount. I got a deal of approximately 2 lacs on my Superb last year. I would suggest prospective buyers not to jump in the fray immediately but wait for the initial fad to die down. I foresee this car selling with discounts ranging from 1 to 3 lacs within 6 months. And under no circumstances buy a Skoda or any other VAG/Audi product without extended warranty.

Wait for things to settle down...
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:11   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Are they saying anything about the extended warranty. Is it being offered or not?

Most Viewed