Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 14:03   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrabirTalati View Post
I own the 1.8 TSI - it's an absolute dream to drive. Comfortable in the back seat on bad roads as well (i.e., most of Mumbai), thanks to the multi-link suspension. While this post is based on just a couple of days of driving pleasure, I must say I am very pleased with this car at this time.
Wow. You don't know how jealous I am of you right now. Been waiting for this car for a while and now that it is here, am tied up with other financial commitments. Anyway, how soon can we expect an ownership thread and some pictures? About the driving experience, what would you say is the best aspect of it?
Old 17th October 2013, 15:14   #272
BHPian

I have been reading and hearing a lot about how comfortable the multi link suspension on the 1.8 Tsi is , but contrary to this fact my car the pre facelift Laura also has the same suspension setup and i dont find it that comfortable on uneven roads and in potholes . Though it feels rock solid on the highway the low speed ride quality is not all that impressive , i perhaps would assign this problem to the 16 inch rims . The 2nd car i own Figo has a torsion beam setup and it definitely has a better high and low speed ride quality , the straight line stability is impressive but around hard cornering it tends to have a significant body roll . The laura also has some body roll but i feel its well controlled .
Old 17th October 2013, 16:05   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
I have been reading and hearing a lot about how comfortable the multi link suspension on the 1.8 Tsi is , but contrary to this fact my car the pre facelift Laura also has the same suspension setup and i dont find it that comfortable on uneven roads and in potholes . Though it feels rock solid on the highway the low speed ride quality is not all that impressive , i perhaps would assign this problem to the 16 inch rims . The 2nd car i own Figo has a torsion beam setup and it definitely has a better high and low speed ride quality , the straight line stability is impressive but around hard cornering it tends to have a significant body roll . The laura also has some body roll but i feel its well controlled .
The discomfort on uneven and potholed roads is due to the stiffer dampers and springs. The 16" tyres also contribute to some extent. Most Euro cars are set up like this. Multi link suspensions are more complex as it allows each wheel to move independently. Basically it helps the car ride better without worsening the handling.

Its generally very rare to find the same model of car offered with multi link and torsion beam set ups on different variants. A test drive of both variants back to back on the same roads would be interesting to really tell what a multi link set up means to a car.

Edit : Your's is a pre FL Laura. The facelifted Laura rides much better as the suspension was softened a bit with the facelift.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th October 2013 at 16:09.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 23:03   #274
BHPian

Visited Europa Auto dealer in Pune to inquire about Octavia. SA said they haven't received any car so far. Is that possible? I mean one of the two dealers from a city like Pune has no car even for display amazes me. And the SA was completely not interested in selling any car for that matter. He was in fact pushing me to get a car from Mumbai dealer stating he can deliver not before January even if I book right away. Really disappointed by the overall attitude. Will visit the other dealer on weekend and see if they are interested to sell. In such times when an expensive car is the last thing people buy, such is the attitude. Wonder how these guys make money!
Old 17th October 2013, 23:19   #275
Senior - BHPian

You should appreciate the transparency of the sales guy. Instead of making empty promises and making you run pillar to post, he has made his position clear.
Old 17th October 2013, 23:37   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
You should appreciate the transparency of the sales guy. Instead of making empty promises and making you run pillar to post, he has made his position clear.
Yes, I appreciate that but having no car even after two weeks of launch is shocking to say the least. I am even okay with the January delivery but why no car for demo?! And the SA told me that he can not deliver car before January even before I asked for Octavia. Felt more like shuuing the customer away than pure honesty. Let's see how it goes with Asset Auto on Saturday. Fingers crossed
Old 18th October 2013, 08:39   #277
BHPian

So the Octavia can comfortably get into a corner at a speed of say 80km/hr ?? Well no does any real hard cornering in India and we dont even have the roads to do the same . My only apprehension is that in a sudden overtaking manoeuvre or in situations where in hard braking is required the car should not lose its poise and should be tractable .
Old 18th October 2013, 16:12   #278
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review, Vid6639.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
Just came across following info on Skoda Facebook page. Skoda has apparently launched a website to book your Skoda car online in 4 easy steps.
Though not in the market for a car, the review had me thinking of the superb 1.8TSi occasionally and I click the link which opens the booking page having 5 tabs / pages. Fill personal details in the 1st tab and move to the 2nd tab where one has to select the FuelType, Engine & Transmission. Just as I am selecting the options, get a call from a Mumbai number. I take it assuming to be some junk call, but guess what it is Skoda India calling about my booking. Now that is quick - I have just started the booking and they are calling. Was zapped.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 16:56   #279
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.

I saw the octavia today and loved it. I wish the price was near 15 lakhs in bangalore.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:09   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Visited Europa Auto dealer in Pune to inquire about Octavia. SA said they haven't received any car so far. Is that possible? I mean one of the two dealers from a city like Pune has no car even for display amazes me.!
Well i visited Asset Auto(the other dealer) in Pune and he too does'nt have the car yet. But he expects it next week and asked me to call
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 22:39   #281
Senior - BHPian

I was promised the delivery of the car on 19th October. Yet there is no confirmation. The dealer says they have yet not received dispatch details and cant be really sure when the car will arrive. This is the third time they have changed my delivery schedule.
Old 19th October 2013, 00:02   #282
BHPian

Called Mahavir Auto in Jubilee Hills to enquire about the 1.8 TSI. The lady said the car is expected in January and if I were to book it tomorrow, I can expect delivery by mid Jan. Also, the only test drive car available is the diesel Elegance. Waiting period for diesels is 45 days. OTR for 1.8 TSI in Hyderabad is 21.2 macs.
Old 20th October 2013, 09:38   #283
Senior - BHPian

Any more deliveries yet? Prabir pls post pics of your ride! Give us some eye candy till rest of our cars are delivered!
Old 20th October 2013, 09:54   #284
BHPian

Went to the stock yard of Gurudev motors, Chennai yesterday to see the different colors on the car. They have 10 cars in there to be delivered. I wanted to see the black and white in elegance trim. Cant make up my mind. Both look hot! Head on, i think the black looks the best. But i did like the black roof contrast on the white car ! Confused
Old 20th October 2013, 11:41   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_navin View Post
Went to the stock yard of Gurudev motors, Chennai yesterday to see the different colors on the car. They have 10 cars in there to be delivered. I wanted to see the black and white in elegance trim. Cant make up my mind. Both look hot! Head on, i think the black looks the best. But i did like the black roof contrast on the white car ! Confused
You're looking at the TSI? I have still not got an update from the dealer on delivery date.

Most Viewed