Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 13:52   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Source : Press Release:

Quote:
We are pleased to inform that ŠKODA Auto India has recorded over 1000 bookings for the new Octavia within 3 weeks of its launch.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2013 at 16:15. Reason: Updating with an excerpt of the press release
Old 24th October 2013, 17:33   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Audi Q3 S got 1000 bookings in 3 days of launch i don't know where the economy is going!!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 08:39   #318
BHPian

Quote:
So it means price is not a factor which will decide the success of this new baby of Skoda. Its just that the lesser mortals with further less means like me who are cribbing about the price
Will be good to see more of this sedan on roads sooner. I am now more eager to know if the booking rate in Karnataka is at par with rest of India given the high tax rate here.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:00   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Overpriced it is indeed. They should have priced it under 20L on road for the top end. I guess they did not factor the economic slowdown when they decided the prices. Anyhow I would rather wait till they start offering flat 2-3L discounts which will happen pretty soon.
After the initial euphoria dies, and the 1000 bookings are delivered (if no cancellations) there will be a slump in demand due to this pricing. So I agree with the prediction by many. Unless they are positioning this way above the other D segment cars.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:08   #320
Senior - BHPian

2 - 3 lacs off on a brand new Octavia?

Even the outgoing decade old Laura was not offered at such a discount at the end of its PLC.

Please look at the ex showroom price of the car. Remove the sales tax and excise component from the ex showroom cost. That's about 25 to 30% of the cost of the car.

Effectively the manufacturer gets only about 10 to 12 lacs as net sale revenue. He needs to meet the cost of production, overheads, marketing etc from the 10/12 lacs he gets.

Considering all this, I don't think the Octavia has been priced way too off the mark.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 11:22   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
After the initial euphoria dies, and the 1000 bookings are delivered (if no cancellations) there will be a slump in demand due to this pricing. So I agree with the prediction by many.
I feel the opposite. IMO, the market is maturing to accept a product for its merits.
For a brand with a heavy baggage of negative publicity from the past, the numbers mentioned (1000 bookings) is quite promising. The notion of overpricing is quite a relative term. Not long ago, hatchbacks crossing 8 lakhs were considered as prohibitive, but it has become a norm nowadays.
The Octavia may look expensive when compared with the likes of Jetta, or the Superb 1.8 TSI (due to brand/segment positioning), but those cars are in the last leg of its current guise, the facelifted variants should come with a higher price tag, and the respective market positioning will be better defined.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 20:38   #322
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if this is a clever marketing gimmick! The SA at the Mumbai dealership claimed that the booking numbers were way off the expected targets. Maybe Skoda has it's (not so real) online bookings to put out these claims.
Old 26th October 2013, 20:31   #323
BHPian

Excellent Review Guys. As usual i must say.

I recently got to checkout the new Octavia and it has been a pretty disappointing experience with the test car. There was an odd "thunk" sound on the diesel car, the cheaper suspension setup may be. Also the sunroof was producing a lot of noise while operating. When asked the SE regarding the same he spilled out a stupid answer by telling me it was the rains. Had to enlighten him on that. The petrol was a total joy and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Old 26th October 2013, 20:54   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Excellent Review Guys. As usual i must say. I recently got to checkout the new Octavia and it has been a pretty disappointing experience with the test car. There was an odd "thunk" sound on the diesel car, the cheaper suspension setup may be. Also the sunroof was producing a lot of noise while operating. When asked the SE regarding the same he spilled out a stupid answer by telling me it was the rains. Had to enlighten him on that. The petrol was a total joy and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Oh you got a petrol to test drive?! 1.8 or a 1.4?
Old 26th October 2013, 21:06   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Oh you got a petrol to test drive?! 1.8 or a 1.4?
Hi Adi,

The petrol 1.8 both the diesel and petrol are available for test-drive at Mahavira auto in Hyderabad. 1.4 is not. I have not been following the tread so can i know which one have you booked?

Do check the sunroof during PDA, it seems to be having an issue. One of the members also posted the same here.
Old 26th October 2013, 21:15   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Adi, The petrol 1.8 both the diesel and petrol are available for test-drive at Mahavira auto in Hyderabad. 1.4 is not. I have not been following the tread so can i know which one have you booked? Do check the sunroof during PDA, it seems to be having an issue. One of the members also posted the same here.
Hi,
I booked the 1.8 TSI and will be going for the PDI on Monday. Will definitely check the sunroof it will be nothing less than a nightmare if its a problem! I am waiting for the car since a month now!
Old 26th October 2013, 23:36   #327
Team-BHP Support

Guys all these noises are generally from the beadings. Other people with Ventos, etc too have faced them. I face this on my Yeti also. Its just a matter of applying some lubricant every few weeks, a 10 min job. Though it is odd that nothing used to happen in the Laura, but in the newer vehicles there is a lot of noise from door/sunroof beadings.
Old 27th October 2013, 00:29   #328
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Adi,

The petrol 1.8 both the diesel and petrol are available for test-drive at Mahavira auto in Hyderabad. 1.4 is not. I have not been following the tread so can i know which one have you booked?

Do check the sunroof during PDA, it seems to be having an issue. One of the members also posted the same here.
Which branch of Mahavir auto did you go to? When I enquired at the Jubilee Hills branch, they said they only had a diesel Elegance for TD.
Old 27th October 2013, 06:01   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Which branch of Mahavir auto did you go to? When I enquired at the Jubilee Hills branch, they said they only had a diesel Elegance for TD.

The Somajiguda branch. Beside Yashoda hospital. You will see Octavia's making rounds on that road. They have 2 cars.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 06:05   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys all these noises are generally from the beadings. Other people with Ventos, etc too have faced them. I face this on my Yeti also. Its just a matter of applying some lubricant every few weeks, a 10 min job. Though it is odd that nothing used to happen in the Laura, but in the newer vehicles there is a lot of noise from door/sunroof beadings.

Yes that might be true. Though not much of an issue it would have been a little pleasing if skoda had at least taken care on the promotion cars. It is weird to listen to all those squeaks on brand new cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks