Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 12:19   #376
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Congratulations Adi. Expecting a detailed photo shoot and ownership experience soon. The car looks lovely
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 18:26   #377
BHPian

Congratulations Adi and thanks for sharing your experience so far. Very encouraging. Looking forward to more such posts and pictures from you.

Has anyone from Hyderabad booked one yet?
Old 4th November 2013, 20:43   #378
BHPian

Congratulations Adi. I thought they were not delivering 1.8 TSI till Jan. Please do post full review when you get chance. I know you both have to get used to each other first.

Wish you many many more miles ahead with this beauty.
Old 5th November 2013, 09:07   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I decided to go on a short sortie tip tronic mode, 80% accelerator, the sound from the engine is just intoxicating!!!!
Your Octavia looks stunning! I don't think any other colour suits the new Octavia like Black. And your experiences beg for an ownership report with a lot of pictures.

Have fun!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 00:11   #380
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has started a total maintenance package for 5 years like what BMW BSI gives, all service expenses are covered and you dont have to pay anything for next 5 years if you take this package.

Sounds good upon giving it a reading, i hope they have started giving extended warranty for the new Octavia, a maintenance plan without offering extended warranty would be funny

Quote:
"Service and Maintenance Plans for the SKODA Octavia

To ensure a worry-free driving experience, the SKODA Octavia comes with pre-defined service and maintenance plans that offer a fixed cost of ownership over the entire life of the car. For a one-time up-front fee, you can cover your SKODA Octavia for service and maintenance costs right up to 75,000 kms or 5 years (whichever is earlier).

Benefits and Features:
Up-front one-time fixed cost of service and maintenance for the SKODA Octavia
100% protection from increase in parts or labour prices
Fully transparent plans that cover engine oil, replacement parts and labour charges as well
Two flexible plans to choose from – SKODA Care Basic covers periodic inspections and service, while SKODA Care Complete also covers certain wear and tear components like brake pads, brake discs and wipers.
Choose your own time period - from 1 year (15,000 kms) right up to 5 years (75,000 kms). "
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:38   #381
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update* : Diesel MT review added to the opening page. This was the only variant that was yet to be reviewed by Team-BHP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 2.0L TDI Diesel (6-Speed Manual)

Good news for manual transmission addicts. Where the Laura 5-speed MT was only available with the 108 BHP / 250 Nm lower spec diesel, the Octavia 6-speed MT gets the full 141 BHP / 320 Nm treatment. The gearbox ratios are perfectly matched to the engine and offer an ideal balance of driveability, performance and fuel-economy.

The first time that you drive the Octavia MT, you will stall the car. I'm willing to bet on it. In fact, you'll go on to stall the engine a couple of times, before getting a hang of its behaviour. Unlike the Yeti that used to stall only when moving from a standstill, the Octavia stalls (completely without warning) even if you drop the revvs too low on the move....say, while crawling over a rumble strip in 2nd gear. It should take a while to get used to. We found ourselves stalling the Octavia MT after 500 kms with the car! Remember to give it extra revvs when starting from 0 kph, and don't let the rpm needle fall too low when driving.

In-city driveability is excellent. The absence of lag means the Octavia makes light work of city traffic. The 2.0 diesel has sufficient grunt at lower revvs, meaning you don't need to downshift too often. What also helps is the responsive nature of the engine and how quickly its revvs climb up. On your daily drive through rush hour crowds, you'll only need to give the engine light accelerator inputs. While the Octavia is impressive within the city, it really comes into its own on the highway. The engine is incredibly free revving and will cross 5,000 rpm in the lower gears almost like a fast petrol (though you shouldn’t upshift anywhere over 4,500 rpm). The mid-range packs a solid punch; drive with a heavy right foot and you'll frequently be pushed back into the seat. Overtaking fast traffic is quick and easy. Most times, you don't even need to downshift. When you do drop a gear, the car simply leaps past the vehicle ahead. The revv-happy engine and manual transmission make for an enjoyable combination on your favourite driving road, torsion beam rear suspension notwithstanding. The Octavia is an outstanding long distance tourer. That 6th gear ratio (missing in the Laura MT) results in relaxed cruising ability. At 100 kph, the motor is spinning over at a lazy 1,600 odd rpm, thereby maximising fuel economy and reducing engine noise to the bare minimum. At 120 kph, it's still under 2,000 rpm! We had a fairly quick 200 km highway drive which saw an average of 18 kpl, thanks to generous usage of the 6th gear.

The 6-speed manual transmission is a straight lift from the Jetta. It's a tight short-throw gearbox that's a pleasure to use, complimenting the engine nicely. Too bad we can't say the same about the clutch pedal. It has a fairly long travel range and does require medium-level effort to operate. Not something you'll look forward to in bumper-to-bumper traffic for sure. Also, as is the case with several VW group cars, there is a certain amount of drivetrain movement felt on the clutch pedal. This vibration is directly proportionate to engine rpm and feels crude in an otherwise refined automobile.
Also added a note on the rattles we heard in a 5,000 kms driven Octavia:

Quote:
Some Octavia owners have already started complaining of rattles. Well, our diesel MT test car (5,000 kms on the odometer) had its fair share of unwanted noises. In particular, there was noticeable rattling from the front left of the cabin.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 07:55   #382
BANNED

New Jetta vs New Octavia - Which one is better both in terms of drivability and ownership? There are too many negativity around European cars in general and more particularly around Skoda. Are these cars suitable for aspiring upper middle class?

Does Jetta have the Multi-Collision Braking, Cornering Lights as well?

Is it possible to have the electric seats, projector headlamps fit in Ambition model?
Old 7th November 2013, 08:57   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
New Jetta vs New Octavia - Which one is better both in terms of drivability and ownership? There are too many negativity around European cars in general and more particularly around Skoda. Are these cars suitable for aspiring upper middle class? Does Jetta have the Multi-Collision Braking, Cornering Lights as well? Is it possible to have the electric seats, projector headlamps fit in Ambition model?
the Jetta is just a chin up and tuck in over the existing model. They knew they had to give the Jetta something, after Octavia was launched. The ride quality in the Jetta would be superior as it has the Multi-link suspension still on. No, it does not have multi collision braking. It will come with bi-xenons and climate control unit which is a replica of what's there in the Octavia. The Octavia scores in terms of features, with a sun roof, MCB, Pre-fill brakes, a brand new body and face. The Jetta will still be the same car over all with two added features and the automatic version will come with paddle shifts. I think the Jetta will be somewhat cheaper than the Octavia. All depends on your budget and spec preference. No, you can't fir electric seats and projectors in the Ambition spec, at least not by Skoda, I am sure Vagtune will soon have official parts for the new Octavia and then it could be thought of.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:22   #384
Senior - BHPian

I had complained to the Skoda Customer care that the dealer refuses to let me avail of the Extended Warranty since I have bought my own Insurance. After a week, the response from Skoda India has shaken me a bit, and I am very stressed on their comment. They claim that the Extended Warranty can not be availed unless I had bought the insurance from the dealer. It is their policy. I see no mention of such policy in the price list, nor the quotation I received, nor any other documentation that they have provided at the time of booking, purchasing, delivery, etc. Now I see on their website under warranty tab, it describes Skoda Shield as a program which offers basic motor insurance and extended warranty bundled. However, the sales rep told me that Skoda Shield is worth Rs. 15000 over and above the basic insurance. But I just didn't go for their insurance as it was 40k more expensive than what I managed. I am sure I am not the only one going through this trouble. What do I do now?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:32   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosathyas View Post
New Jetta vs New Octavia - Which one is better both in terms of drivability and ownership? There are too many negativity around European cars in general and more particularly around Skoda. Are these cars suitable for aspiring upper middle class?

Does Jetta have the Multi-Collision Braking, Cornering Lights as well?

Is it possible to have the electric seats, projector headlamps fit in Ambition model?
Satyas

think jetta is the better option. Skoda is still not in the mood to change.
The Jetta has Dynamic cornering lights & also the fog lights with the an static cornering lights.

You can fit projector headlamps in ambition but you wont get the other features like cornering or washer etc. this is as per the SA of Vinayak skoda.

we drove the new skoda on Monday, nothing great about it, it was not a great head turner at least in bangalore. Nobody gave that extra importance to the new vehicle like when they give for Benz, BMW etc. Volvo was much better in the head turner.

Feature wise it has many but i feel Elantra was much better in Value for Money terms. Now i have dropped skoda from the list and thinking of Fluence, elantra.

The funny incident in the Vinayak skoda, we asked SA who are the competitiors for this vehicle, he says, A3, C Class, BMW 3 series.......when we asked for Jetta he says Rapid is there for that

Then we understood we are speaking to the wrong person.
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:44   #386
BHPian

Quote:
I had complained to the Skoda Customer care that the dealer refuses to let me avail of the Extended Warranty since I have bought my own Insurance. After a week, the response from Skoda India has shaken me a bit, and I am very stressed on their comment. They claim that the Extended Warranty can not be availed unless I had bought the insurance from the dealer. It is their policy. I see no mention of such policy in the price list, nor the quotation I received, nor any other documentation that they have provided at the time of booking, purchasing, delivery, etc. Now I see on their website under warranty tab, it describes Skoda Shield as a program which offers basic motor insurance and extended warranty bundled. However, the sales rep told me that Skoda Shield is worth Rs. 15000 over and above the basic insurance. But I just didn't go for their insurance as it was 40k more expensive than what I managed. I am sure I am not the only one going through this trouble. What do I do now?
You have tried the nice way, but it did not work. Now send them a legal notice for violation of consumer laws and for restrictive & unfair trade practices.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 14:10   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is really bad. Skoda should be bending over backwards to please a customer of its top end flagship model. Instead they refuse to give you extended warranty! Try escalating the matter to the CRM head or even up to the Mr. Sudhir the MD, with a link to this thread.

What they are offering is a tied sale. Insurance and extended warranty are two independent products.They are forcing the customer to buy insurance from them in order to get the extended warranty. Its against the MRTP Act. Last resort you have is get a lawyer and fire a legal notice under the said Act.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 14:28   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
its against the MRTP Act. Last resort you have is get a lawyer and fire a legal notice under the said Act.
I am sick of talking to them now, a legal notice is the only resort now. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:19   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What they are offering is a tied sale. Insurance and extended warranty are two independent products.They are forcing the customer to buy insurance from them in order to get the extended warranty. Its against the MRTP Act. Last resort you have is get a lawyer and fire a legal notice under the said Act.
It is a tied product but not necessarily an illegal one. If I recall correctly, the MRTP act has been replaced by the competition act, and such tying by someone who does not have a dominant position is not illegal.

Quote:
I am sick of talking to them now, a legal notice is the only resort now. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Best of luck - agree they should be treating you better or have been clear before the sale (as my service rep was when I considered the Rapid)
Old 8th November 2013, 17:11   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
It is a tied product but not necessarily an illegal one. If I recall correctly, the MRTP act has been replaced by the competition act, and such tying by someone who does not have a dominant position is not illegal.
Hi @Hayek

It depends on the interpretation of the provisions of the law, & how effectively the case is put by a solicitor in court of law. IMO Skoda under VAG is a dominant party & is exploiting customer's (warranty lapse) related clauses to force him buy their costly product.

However, I fear it would take ages for court to arrive at a conclusion, considering the ways the company has adopted in past case (s) to delay justice.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks