Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 09:35   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
It is a tied product but not necessarily an illegal one. If I recall correctly, the MRTP act has been replaced by the competition act, and such tying by someone who does not have a dominant position is not illegal.
They are certainly in a dominant position w.r.t extended warranty. They are only ones the customer can buy it from! By tying it with insurance and compelling the customer to buy insurance from them at a much higher price than prevailing market price they are misusing that dominant position.

If they simply priced their extended warranty at 40K, irrespective of the fact whether the customer took insurance from them or not, then it would not have been so unfair. Its then upto the customer how much he values the extend warranty and whether he feels its worth it at that price. But then by doing that it would make Skoda look bad and out of sync with the Auto Industry.

Basically these people (dealer and Skoda) are pocketing the extra money in the name of the insurance company. Simply clever eh?
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 05:55   #392
BANNED

Whilst Skoda celebrates 1000 bookings in a month or so, not sure how many of them has had some issue or the other. With too few cars being sold, its very difficult to assess the defect rate and thereby take that calculated risk. Can we have a clear survey which clearly elucidates what % of owners are satisfied or otherwise?
Old 10th November 2013, 11:35   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I had complained to the Skoda Customer care that the dealer refuses to let me avail of the Extended Warranty since I have bought my own Insurance. After a week, the response from Skoda India has shaken me a bit, and I am very stressed on their comment. They claim that the Extended Warranty can not be availed unless I had bought the insurance from the dealer. It is their policy. I see no mention of such policy in the price list, nor the quotation I received, nor any other documentation that they have provided at the time of booking, purchasing, delivery, etc. Now I see on their website under warranty tab, it describes Skoda Shield as a program which offers basic motor insurance and extended warranty bundled. However, the sales rep told me that Skoda Shield is worth Rs. 15000 over and above the basic insurance. But I just didn't go for their insurance as it was 40k more expensive than what I managed. I am sure I am not the only one going through this trouble. What do I do now?
Seriously SKODA that is terrible. Here we are supporting your brand inspite of horror stories floating around and your tone has not changed one bit. Insurance at dealerships are ripoffs and customers should not be forced to accept such ridiculous quotes. Make the Skoda Shield more expensive and let us but it at a higher price.
Old 10th November 2013, 14:05   #394
BHPian

Extended warranty is part of Skoda Shield, which includes Insurance+24x7 roadside assistance and Extended warranty. Technically skoda sells the shield and not extended warranty, moreover extended warranty is from the insurance provider and not skoda itself. Skoda has tie up with ICICI and BAJAJ Allianz for this. A lot has been discussed in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...da-shield.html

I am not defending skoda, but technically they have a point to deny extended warranty if you choose your own insurance provider. Moreover, If you buy the shield, you are free to renew your insurance from anywhere from second year onwards. Now few of us are saying that increase the price of extended warranty and let the customer buy it even if he purchase insurance of his own. Practically it's the same thing, The first year insurance is higher for you if you purchase the shield and choose your insurance second year onwards.
Old 10th November 2013, 14:15   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Extended warranty is part of Skoda Shield, which includes Insurance+24x7 roadside assistance and Extended warranty. Technically skoda sells the shield and not extended warranty, moreover extended warranty is from the insurance provider and not skoda itself. Skoda has tie up with ICICI and BAJAJ Allianz for this. A lot has been discussed in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...da-shield.html I am not defending skoda, but technically they have a point to deny extended warranty if you choose your own insurance provider. Moreover, If you buy the shield, you are free to renew your insurance from anywhere from second year onwards. Now few of us are saying that increase the price of extended warranty and let the customer buy it even if he purchase insurance of his own. Practically it's the same thing, The first year insurance is higher for you if you purchase the shield and choose your insurance second year onwards.
The deal was that I wanted water damage to be covered, and the policy I got from ICICI covers even tyre bursts and in case of total loss, takes into consideration the tax amount that I have paid on the car. Can Skoda offer me this package at 60k? No, instead they offered just zero dep at 85k. I will still coerce them to give me the extended warranty at max 25000, which is 10k over and above the standard price. As Skoda has tie up with ICICI Lombard, and my policy is from the same, I think a little coercion is needed and i'll be able to have my way.
Old 10th November 2013, 15:53   #396
BHPian

Quote:
The deal was that I wanted water damage to be covered, and the policy I got from ICICI covers even tyre bursts and in case of total loss, takes into consideration the tax amount that I have paid on the car. Can Skoda offer me this package at 60k? No, instead they offered just zero dep at 85k. I will still coerce them to give me the extended warranty at max 25000, which is 10k over and above the standard price. As Skoda has tie up with ICICI Lombard, and my policy is from the same, I think a little coercion is needed and i'll be able to have my way.
But why only skoda to blame, Isn't insurance company part of this cartel? Why the same insurance company charging different amount for insurance premium for the same car? Why not blame ICICI as well? As far i remember, the insurance company mentions the premium amount etc in a separate receipt, So I don't think skoda is making money from insurance premium.
Old 10th November 2013, 21:29   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But why only skoda to blame, Isn't insurance company part of this cartel? Why the same insurance company charging different amount for insurance premium for the same car? Why not blame ICICI as well? As far i remember, the insurance company mentions the premium amount etc in a separate receipt, So I don't think skoda is making money from insurance premium.
Skoda or rather the dealer would not earn cash in premium, but gets commission on selling the insurance at the highest value. That way its a win win for insurance company as well as the dealer.
Old 11th November 2013, 02:01   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda or rather the dealer would not earn cash in premium, but gets commission on selling the insurance at the highest value. That way its a win win for insurance company as well as the dealer.
Exactly my point. Why is same insurance company selling same product at two different premium for the same car?
Old 11th November 2013, 09:19   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my point. Why is same insurance company selling same product at two different premium for the same car?
The product may be same but discount structure varies. Basically when you buy it from the car dealer you don't get any discount. Agent commission is included in the payment paid by you. Generally any insurance product carries agent commission. Here the dealer acts as an agent and enjoys high commission due to the high premium.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 08:27   #400
BHPian

It is very unfortunate that Skoda is supporting such deals. Is there any other manufacturers doing the same?
Old 13th November 2013, 12:25   #401
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia v. the new Jetta

Hi, I am in a quandary and hoping for some help from the forum. I need to chose between the Octavia Petrol and Jetta Diesel (facelift). While the Octavia has the sun roof and memory seats to go along with the stonker of an engine, the Jetta gives paddle shifts (which is important since I am currently driving a Honda City and use the paddle shifts 90% of the time).

Given the aforesaid, which would be a better car to go in for? Type of fuel or the ~2l price difference is not a consideration here.

Do help out a troubled soul.
Old 13th November 2013, 13:56   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Hi, I am in a quandary and hoping for some help from the forum. I need to chose between the Octavia Petrol and Jetta Diesel (facelift). While the Octavia has the sun roof and memory seats to go along with the stonker of an engine, the Jetta gives paddle shifts (which is important since I am currently driving a Honda City and use the paddle shifts 90% of the time).

Given the aforesaid, which would be a better car to go in for? Type of fuel or the ~2l price difference is not a consideration here.

Sure! You are a troubled soul!

But you have the answer yourself!!!

What fuel do you prefer?? My opinion is as below:
  • Petrol 1.8Tsi - Octavia
  • Diesel 2.0Tdi - Jetta

All the best!
Old 13th November 2013, 14:04   #403
BHPian

Quote:

Hello, to begin with I was in the same fix as you (the features you mention tells me the choice is between octavia 1.8tsi auto & jetta highline auto).

I went for octavia, as other than memory seats & sun roof, you get better head lights, better performance (thanks to more powerful engine & lighter weight), a newer looking vehicle (jetta essentially is the same as earlier), and some added features like TPM. Frankly , octavia won on the performance part itself. Sure, you are used to paddle shift, but IMO, it is a fair pay off for a lot of other stuff. And offcourse don't forget the 2L+ on road price difference of both vehicles in Delhi.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:12   #404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Its a VAG car, I'm sure you will be able to install paddle shifts. You will have to buy a new steering wheel though. It would cost around 40-50k totally. If paddle shift is the only thing holding you back then get the Octy without a doubt.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:25   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Jetta gives paddle shifts (which is important since I am currently driving a Honda City and use the paddle shifts 90% of the time). Given the aforesaid, which would be a better car to go in for? Type of fuel or the ~2l price difference is not a consideration here. Do help out a troubled soul.
Octavia all the way agreeing to Akshay's post. I am planning to get the paddle shift steering too, but after a year or so, I can't even find it yet in any of the stores. The tiptronic is fun too but paddles are always missed. But it should be well under 30k as the existing steering module, wiring, airbag etc will work with the paddle shifter wala steering! The sunroof just looks bigger on the outside, is rather the same size as may be a Superb's on the inside. Headlights are definitely amazing with AFS and curving projectors. FE is surprisingly good as I am getting about 15 kmpl on the highway. Go for the Octavia, if you can wait for 3 months to get your hands on it, and definitely go for Rio Red or Race Blue. Should be available by Jan-14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks