Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 12:44   #466
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I am planning to buy the Octavia 1.8 DSG. But what is holding me back is the launch of RIO Red. Any pointers as to when would this be launched?
Skoda said only next year no exact timeline given.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:39   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I am planning to buy the Octavia 1.8 DSG. But what is holding me back is the launch of RIO Red. Any pointers as to when would this be launched?
I was inquiring with the SA here at Coimbatore for the Race Blue color. He checked with his manager and replied that it would be by June or July next year when these other colors (Race Blue, Rio Red and Metal Grey) are available. Not sure how accurate this information is though.
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:41   #468
Senior - BHPian

You never know when Skoda pulls it out of its hat, just like they did with the Ambition 1.8 TSI. I think, based on nothing, just my gut instinct that these colors should be available as soon as January-2014. One can tweet to @Skodaindia and actually ask them instead, they would surely oblige one with an answer.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:13   #469
BHPian

Skoda website still not showing 1.8tsi Ambition, would surely help in more bookings. Btw, got delivery of my white 1.8tsi Elegance last week . Trust me guys the car moves like a dream 👍. Can't wait for the run in period to get over.
saurabh sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:40   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
Hi,
My son took delivery of a new Skoda Octavia on the 17th of October 2013 and the car developed a knocking noise from the engine after it had just run 400 kms.The car was sent to their dealership to have the problem sorted out and it has been nearly a week and nothing has happened till now.
I had made a complaint on their toll free no and all you get is an system generated acknowledgement.My son is very upset and he says the new car ownership feeling is all gone.After having spent 21.32 lakhs on the car,I believe that he has every right to be upset.
Can anyone give me ideas as to how to go about the whole thing.
I am beginning to wonder whether this is the clever thinking part of Skoda to produce a defective car and then let the customer spend sleepless nights.
I hope we have some sort of forum by which we could take these irresponsible car manufacture to task.Hoping to hear from all of you as to how to proceed.

Regards
Venkat Kumar
Any update on what the diagnosis is and if its been resolved to your satisfaction?

Also Gurudev Chennai continues to insist that there is no 1.8 TSI in ambition. Even the Skoda website does not have it? Has anybody bought it yet?
Just wish there were more dealers in Chennai for Skoda.
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:40   #471
BHPian

Hi Shortsell,
The dealer in Coimbatore informed us that the flywheel was the cause of the noise and it had been replaced.Though the issue has been resolved I am still keeping my fingers crossed
Regards
Venkat Kumar
venkat kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:30   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Skoda website still not showing 1.8tsi Ambition, would surely help in more bookings. Btw, got delivery of my white 1.8tsi Elegance last week . Trust me guys the car moves like a dream ddc4d. Can't wait for the run in period to get over.
Congratulations!! Lucky you got the car early on. Do post a nice clean pic, never seen white Elegance, the black roof contrast!
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:49   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You never know when Skoda pulls it out of its hat, just like they did with the Ambition 1.8 TSI. I think, based on nothing, just my gut instinct that these colors should be available as soon as January-2014. One can tweet to @Skodaindia and actually ask them instead, they would surely oblige one with an answer.
A mail shot to the customer care of Skoda had this reply.

----
Dear Mr.Gupta,

Greetings from Skoda Auto!!! Acknowledgement

With reference to the query mentioned by you in the below trailing mail, request you to kindly visit the nearest authorized dealer of Skoda for assistance on the same.

Regards,
----

And none of the skoda dealers know when the colours would come out. What baffled me, is that they expect a customer to go to a showroom just for a colour enquiry.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:55   #474
BHPian

I guess these colors will arrive when they start making 1.8tsi in earnest, i.e once the bulk of skoda's diesel orders are met. The indications by this should be late Jan to mid Feb 2014.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:33   #475
BHPian

Quote:
I guess these colors will arrive when they start making 1.8tsi in earnest, i.e once the bulk of skoda's diesel orders are met. The indications by this should be late Jan to mid Feb 2014.
Surprise Surprise!! i asked my dealer about the extra colors. I was told that he wasnt aware of Rio Red, but he has a race blue ambition variant. He has called me to check it out and im going there shortly.

Also I request new octavia owners to tell us if

1) They were able to get extended warranty
2) service and maintenance plans for octavia.

I'm unable to get any clear message from any of the dealers in Chennai. Also do we have an ownership thread for this already?
Shortsell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 15:17   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
but he has a race blue ambition variant.
Also I request new octavia owners to tell us if:
1) They were able to get extended warranty
2) service and maintenance plans for octavia.
Hey thats really good news now that they have started with the newer colors and it'll be exciting to see these on the road. You are going for the Ambition TSI or TDI? If TSI, 1.8 or 1.4? If its the 1.8 TSI, do look up this thread, where a problem occurred with my car. Don't get disheartened though after reading it though
Extended Warranty was not offered to me while buying the car since I bought my own insurance and definitely you save a big amount in doing so. Recent communication with Skoda India head office, I have been told that Extended Warranty will begin selling separately soon and I will be able to avail it. So don't worry about it yet. Service plans are dealer specific so your best guide would be your dealer, but I am sure he won't have anything to tell you about, as the programme has not officially started yet. Only the Rapid has a plan in place as of now and that too is bundled with discounts n all on the pre-facelift version. Do click a picture of the exterior and interior of the car once you are at the stock yard and post it here for our viewing pleasure! yet to see a race-blue in the flesh.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:29   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda website still not showing 1.8tsi Ambition, would surely help in more bookings.
Now that the monthly sales of Octavia is around 300, you will see 1.8 TSi in Ambition Variant soon!! This is imperative to have volumes. It is not correct on Skoda's part to assume that whoever wants a 1.8 Tsi for performance would also want Sunroof, xenons and other features that comes with top variant. May be they are testing the waters or want to force consumers for top variant for better margins or skoda simply do not have enough producion of this variant. Skoda would have been a little disappointed with the overall sales numbers of Octavia.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 18:45   #478
BHPian

Have driven both the tdi & 1.8tsi, looking at steadily rising diesel prices i am afraid tdi buyers wouldn't have much tangible benefit from their choice a year down the line. On the sideline central govt. is planning to reduce excise on premium petrol. Now looking at the performance of 1.8tsi, and believe me there is a lot of it, why settle for tdi? Been busy with election related stuff here in Delhi, will post pics of my 1.8 elegance soon. Only hope the extended warranty is reasonable & comes soon, capitulated under skoda blackmail & overpaid for skoda insurance.
Old 4th December 2013, 21:40   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey thats really good news now that they have started with the newer colors and it'll be exciting to see these on the road. You are going for the Ambition TSI or TDI? If TSI, 1.8 or 1.4? If its the 1.8 TSI, do look up this thread, where a problem occurred with my car. Don't get disheartened though after reading it though
I went to the showroom and checked out the car. Im looking for 1.8TSI elegance but just went to check this color. The car was awkwardly placed and right below "shiny disco balls" hence you may see some reflection on the car. Apologies for the poor pic quality

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-side-2.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-side.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-front.jpg

I also met a Skoda rep there and discussed at length about various issues. Ive reproduced his words here. Cant vouch for authenticity, but he was a talker and had me convinced

1) DSG Gearbox: He says that across 7-8 companies of VAG, they had some 3900 types of engines.This is across, VW, Skoda, Audi, Lambo etc subsequent to the problems, they did a major exercise and reduced the number to around 309. So his points was that these engines have been introduced/reintriduced after a lot of wok at skoda. On the DSG box, he told me that it was a software issue and they have been able to identify the bugs and correct them. They are also on the continuous lookout for any issues but he was confident that they have cracked it this time.

2) Told me that 1.8 tsi petrol test drive vehicles will only come in by Jan.

3) Told me that they are not looking at any discounts/offers for octavia (this was expected coming from him)

4) on service and maintenance plan he said that skoda will come out with an offer for octavia within 6 months. They are currently working out the costs. (whatever that means)

Adi, I'm looking at 1.8 TSI Elegance. Ive been told to book now and expect the car by Feb. I instead test drove a 1.4 ambition MT. I liked the car but I will wait for 1.8 tsi.

The dealer is offering me extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year. He will convey the prices shortly. As of now this is the break-up in chennai

(all in INR lakhs for 1.8 TSi elegance petrol)
Ex-showroom: 18.57
insurance: 0.58
life tax and regn and ess pack: 2.28
(he told me this is for 15 years only, is this standard practice?)
Therefore onroad is 22.10

if you want skoda secure that will be 20k over and above this. Skoda secure is bumper to bumper

Im very insistent on both extended warranty and preferably bumper to bumper, what do you guys suggest I should do? Is this insurance amount on the higher side?
Shortsell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 22:49   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have driven both the tdi & 1.8tsi, looking at steadily rising diesel prices i am afraid tdi buyers wouldn't have much tangible benefit from their choice a year down the line. On the sideline central govt. is planning to reduce excise on premium petrol. Now looking at the performance of 1.8tsi, and believe me there is a lot of it, why settle for tdi? Been busy with election related stuff here in Delhi, will post pics of my 1.8 elegance soon. Only hope the extended warranty is reasonable & comes soon, capitulated under skoda blackmail & overpaid for skoda insurance.
Did you get the insurance from Dealer? If yes, how much? And if no, how much?

Most Viewed