Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 10:35   #601
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don’t understand why VAG group brands have so much of confusion when it comes to extended warranty. They really make it so difficult for the customers. I mean, Skoda website have it defined it clearly, but they have curiously omitted Octavia from the list.

It’s better to insist on a written confirmation. You may never know – 6 months later, the SA who gave you a verbal commitment may not be there in the organization, and it may result in the situation Hayek had with his Superb.

And more importantly, they have mentioned this on the website (and no reference of buying the ext. warranty during the initial two years of ownership):
Thanks, vb-san.

Just now I called Skoda customer care and clearly told them that unless they give me a written confirmation that I can avail of the extended warranty later when it is announced, I will not go ahead with placing the order. I also insisted that I need a confirmation from Skoda, not the dealer. The lady who attended the call took my contact details and promised me they will get back at the earliest. Fingers crossed!
Old 19th December 2013, 10:54   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is quite scary. The SA here says I can avail of the extended warranty as soon as Skoda announces this. However, he is not willing to give anything in writing. He insists that they will honor their words and let me buy the extended warranty when it is announced.
I have been chatting constantly with the sales rep at JMD Skoda and she assures me that I will be able to take the Extended Warranty even if it comes out after I've booked the car, no problem. Not asked for a written commitment to that effect, but I think I might do so. Will keep you posted about developments at my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
I was told that the insurance with the octavia is just comprehensive insurance and not Skoda Shield. Ergo no extended warranty linked to insurance. I also asked the dealer if getting the insurance myself would affect the extended warranty. The answer was no so I went ahead and got my own insurance. The price difference is huge. The dealer quoted 71,000 for basic comprehensive whereas i got a 0 dep with all the bells and whistles for almost 30% lesser.
Strange how Skoda dealerships are so unclear about what their offering constitutes. I think it was adi_petrolhead who was told that getting the insurance from outside would not stop him from availing of the extended warranty only for him to be told otherwise later. I was quoted either Rs. 72,000 or Rs. 78,000 at the 3 dealerships I visited here and that was a basic comprehensive one, with I think Rs.20,000 added on for zero dep. I went on Bajaj Allianz's website and entered hypothetic details for an Octavia and got a quote of Rs. 55000 approx. When presented with that quote, 2 of the dealers instantly offered to price match it (with the zero dep being extra, I guess), so I reckon I will go for the dealer's offer only because it'll ensure that I can avail the extended warranty whenever it comes out.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:41   #603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I have been chatting constantly with the sales rep at JMD Skoda and she assures me that I will be able to take the Extended Warranty even if it comes out after I've booked the car, no problem. Not asked for a written commitment to that effect, but I think I might do so. Will keep you posted about developments at my end.
Just now had a detailed discussion with my SA. This is what I learnt from him.

1. If extended warranty program is not active at the time of taking delivery of the car, and it is announced later, we will not be able to opt for the extended warranty. This is what happened in Hayek's case.
2. If the extended warranty program is active at the time of taking delivery of the car, and if one does not take the extended warranty at that time, he still can avail the extended warranty at the time of first year renewal of the insurance (provided he has taken insurance from the insurance provider with whom the show room has tie up.

So, I have told the SA that I will not take delivery of the car until the extended warranty program is announced by Skoda. Based on the information provided by another TBHP'ian, extended warranty may be announced by February. If this happens before the delivery of the car (approximately scheduled in March), then I will take the car. Otherwise, I will cancel the booking and re-book only when the extended warranty is announced.

Meanwhile, I have told Skoda customer care as well to give a written commitment that I can avail of the extended warranty at a later date. Let us see what happens.

Last edited by graaja : 19th December 2013 at 13:46.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:48   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Just now had a detailed discussion with my SA. This is what I learnt from him. 1. If extended warranty program is not active at the time of taking delivery of the car, and it is announced later, we will not be able to opt for the extended warranty. This is what happened in Hayek's case.
How very bizarre. I'll be going in on Monday to book the car so I will probe further into this, but considering they will in all likelihood launch the Extended Warranty by Feb, it should well not be an issue. That's assuming it is launched in Jan-Feb!

Makes no sense buying a car where so much can go wrong without an Extended Warranty. Fingers crossed, all will go well. Thanks for the info!
Old 19th December 2013, 17:40   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How very bizarre. I'll be going in on Monday to book the car so I will probe further into this, but considering they will in all likelihood launch the Extended Warranty by Feb, it should well not be an issue. That's assuming it is launched in Jan-Feb!
What is more bizarre is that in Skoda website, the press release for Octavia on 10/7/2013 mentions this:

"SKODA has also launched a comprehensive ownership package for the new Octavia which includes SKODA's Road Side Assistance; Service and Maintenance Packages; and an Extended Warranty programme."

Quote:
Makes no sense buying a car where so much can go wrong without an Extended Warranty. Fingers crossed, all will go well. Thanks for the info!
+1 to that. With a complicated car like Octavia with so many features and gadgets, and especially the DSG7, it is wise to go with an extended warranty. I am sure Skoda will launch this sometime soon. But I just do not want to be left out for lack of understanding the terms and conditions!
Old 19th December 2013, 18:29   #606
BHPian

I have been following this thread for long and there seems to be a lot of concern regarding extended warranty. Now is it that important ?. Dont we have reliable people who can get the jobs done apart from the company ?. Is servicing cars like these not at all advisable in other service centres ?. Many of my friends dont even go the showrooms for repairs of their German cars and the cars are doing fine. They do get it serviced from some service centres elsewhere
Old 19th December 2013, 18:45   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Now is it that important ?
It's just not the matter of servicing alone. The parts of these German VAG Cars are exorbitantly priced. That is where that extra bit of fall back cushion is necessary.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:24   #608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been following this thread for long and there seems to be a lot of concern regarding extended warranty. Now is it that important ?. Dont we have reliable people who can get the jobs done apart from the company ?. Is servicing cars like these not at all advisable in other service centres ?. Many of my friends dont even go the showrooms for repairs of their German cars and the cars are doing fine. They do get it serviced from some service centres elsewhere
As dkaile has mentioned, it is not about servicing the car, but it is about the cost of spares. Below are a few experiences from other TBHP'ians.

Extended warranty becomes a must in instances like the above. Of course, there are many users who have cars that are running without a single problem. It is quite possible, our cars could also fall under the "reliable" category. But if they fall under the "unreliable" category, extended warranty is the insurance policy!
Old 19th December 2013, 19:36   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been following this thread for long and there seems to be a lot of concern regarding extended warranty. Now is it that important ?
In a word, yes. There is a lot that can and has gone wrong with Skoda's in the past. Plenty of examples can be found on this forum itself. Think of it this way, you're not buying an extended warranty you're buying a relative semblance of peace of mind for 4 years. When a mechatronics failure alone can cost you approx 1.5 lakhs, the price charged for an extended warranty is a bargain. Yes, I fully intend to have my own trusted independent garage to take the car. I've even zeroed in on who that is. But there's nothing like knowing you have the safety net of an extended warranty to fall back on come what may, because a lot can go wrong in owning a Skoda wrt cost of spares and servicing.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 19th December 2013 at 19:37.
Old 20th December 2013, 06:27   #610
BHPian

Badgered the Skoda SA once more about the issues being discussed.
These were his observations:
1. Regarding the extended warranty:
During their training sessions with Skoda prior to Octavia's launch, this was addressed specifically. The company has instructed the SA's to reassure customers who have booked the car that the extended warranty will be available to them as far as they have inhouse insurance. The reason for insisting on inhouse insurance i believe is that there are no third party authorised service centers for Skoda and Skoda has tied up with Bajaj Allianz for insuring it's cars and for repairs through it's dealers and this was the arrangement worked out between Skoda and Bajaj Allianz.
2.Total maintanance Plan:
Also in the pipe-line-something like an annual maintanance plan. Again will be offered to all customers whenever launched.
3. Cost escalation:
Some escalation is expected early next year-not sure of the exact time. Expectation is that it would not be "large".Last year, the escalation came about the same time for other Skoda vehicles, so there is a feeling that this might be the case this year too.

I am not sure whether this reassured me
Old 20th December 2013, 07:36   #611
BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to set the memory setting for the side-view mirror while reversing. Have not been able to crack it. The mirrors stay in the normal position. Anyone knows how it is done? I have tried the procedure in the manual but that does not seem to work.
Is this feature available in Ambition variant? Skoda website feature list says yes, but just curious to know from real users as Ambition is not having any memory presets.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:55   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to set the memory setting for the side-view mirror while reversing. Have not been able to crack it. The mirrors stay in the normal position. Anyone knows how it is done? I have tried the procedure in the manual but that does not seem to work.
You need to first check through the infotainment system whether 'tilt on reverse' is activated or not. If yes, then set the mirror knob to 'L' and slot the car in reverse. Now wait till the mirror adjusts itself to a standard position. Now make your own adjustments. Once done, press the 'set' key on your memory seat, for 1 second and then keep pressing the '1' button till u here the beep. Remember, when you set the mirror knob to 'L' i.e. left, only then the mirror will auto tilt when you slot the car in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Is this feature available in Ambition variant? Skoda website feature list says yes, but just curious to know from real users as Ambition is not having any memory presets.
No, this feature is complimentary to memory seats and hence only available in the Elegance trim.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:35   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You need to first check through the infotainment system whether 'tilt on reverse' is activated or not. If yes, then set the mirror knob to 'L' and slot the car in reverse. Now wait till the mirror adjusts itself to a standard position. Now make your own adjustments. Once done, press the 'set' key on your memory seat, for 1 second and then keep pressing the '1' button till u here the beep. Remember, when you set the mirror knob to 'L' i.e. left, only then the mirror will auto tilt when you slot the car in reverse.

No, this feature is complimentary to memory seats and hence only available in the Elegance trim.
And this will not affect my normal memory settings? also shouldn't the right mirror also move down?
Old 20th December 2013, 10:39   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And this will not affect my normal memory settings? also shouldn't the right mirror also move down?
No this will only add the setting of the left mirror to the memory of your normal settings. No the right mirror does not move down as the system is designed assuming you parallel park on the left hand side and the curbs are always on the left. For LHD cars and countries, the RHD mirror tilts. Secondly don't panic if the mirror does not return to your normal position when you put the car in D. It will happen only when you drive off above 10 km/h or manually change the position of the mirror knob to 'O' i.e. In the centre.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:24   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
No this will only add the setting of the left mirror to the memory of your normal settings. No the right mirror does not move down as the system is designed assuming you parallel park on the left hand side and the curbs are always on the left. For LHD cars and countries, the RHD mirror tilts. Secondly don't panic if the mirror does not return to your normal position when you put the car in D. It will happen only when you drive off above 10 km/h or manually change the position of the mirror knob to 'O' i.e. In the centre.
Thank you Adi. The manual said move it to the right and set. Guess the manual is made for LHD and not RHD.
mysticmonkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed