Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:52   #676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbatra View Post
Here Countache, attaching some shots I took for you this morning for the Silver Octavia TDI. Its not a sunny day, so the full glow is missing!
Aman, thank you for adding to the thread! Personal pictures speak more than a website image. It does look awesome! But let's not forget, the first page of this thread is full of Silver Color Octavia images Countache, you could see more detailed images on page 1 onwards. pls don't mind Aman. Really appreciate your addition! Keep rolling yet to hear a decent ownership review/thread on the TDI. What kind of Fuel Economy is it giving you as of now on the highways? My Laura used to return 25 kmpl when driven at sane speeds i.e. 85-90 kmh.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:05   #677

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi, all,

First post here. Just got delivery of the 1.8 TSI Elegance in Cappuccino Beige a couple of weeks ago, and this thread was very helpful in the selection process. Many thanks.

Overall very pleased with the car so far. A couple of questions that I am hoping others who have already gotten delivery may be able to answer:

- I cannot seem to get the voice command button on the steering to work. My phone (iPhone 4S) is paired via Bluetooth, contacts synced. However, when I press the voice command button, all it does is mute the audio. It can't be that voice command feature is removed in the India model, is it? I seem to recall reading a review that spoke about it.

- I feel the accelerator needs to be pressed relatively deep in for the car to rev. Is this normal? Can't recall how it was on the test drive. Perhaps it is just a that I am used to a Honda, which took off when you barely brushed the pedal. Here, I feel I have to press it deeper in and there is a slight lag before it shoots ahead.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
xfu67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 08:59   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfu67 View Post

- I feel the accelerator needs to be pressed relatively deep in for the car to rev. Is this normal? Can't recall how it was on the test drive. Perhaps it is just a that I am used to a Honda, which took off when you barely brushed the pedal. Here, I feel I have to press it deeper in and there is a slight lag before it shoots ahead.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
That's turbo lag my friend. Welcome to the world of turbo petrols.
Old 24th January 2014, 13:20   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Welcome to team-BHP!

The blue is stunning in the flesh, I have posted pics of it elsewhere in the thread, do take a look at it then. The only worry you will face with the blue color is that it is a high maintenance color. Scratches and dirt will be easily seen on it, so if you're willing to work hard on maintaining it, you'll make heads turn for sure.

If you're not really keen on that, silver is a great option. It's the one skoda uses to showcase the Octavia, and it looks breathtaking, especially with the black sunroof on the top end
Well,to be frank i don't consider myself to be that hardworking type,but for this beaut of a machine i'm willing to let a few drops of sweat roll..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Vishesh, why don't you guide yourself to page no. 8 and 11 of this thread, to check out the blue cars on road and in showroom pictures. The one on page 8 is the VRS version from Europe, so apart from the bumper and alloy wheel design, car should look identical in Race Blue. Good choice bro, when I had to book mine they didn't have blue, I actually had only two colours to choose from, Silver or Black.
Thanks for the direction to pages bro,went through the pics..they do look great.
As we don't yet have the vRS option in India,i'm thinking of getting my alloy wheels upgraded to the premia black 16'',available as accessory on skoda india website,,presume they'll lend a meaner look to my octy.!?
And your black "Darth Vader" was my initial choice too,but just the thought of driving along side auto and rikshaw-walas in delhi is gonna be real difficult to avoid scratches,I decided to go with the next best.. And i'd sure post some pics here once i get the car,so to at least share some of the fun of that sporty color with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Welcome to the community and Congratulations with the booking. This definitely is a great decision. What is the expected delivery date?

For the race blue color, there are many review videos in Youtube that show blue Octavia. I guess this should be the race blue (other members who have physically seen a race blue model can confirm). Here is one such review in Youtube.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=IPsgRRFrAYc

This is indeed a head turner. Initially my choice was race blue, but my wife totally dismissed this - she says it attracts too much attention and does not go well with my age Finally had to settle for silver.
Thanks a lot graaja,the eta given to me is 1st week of April.
I sure won't be asking for your age here ,but as far as your choice goes silver being the official color on all Skoda promos and advertisements,I'd say great choice.

And lastly I'd like to thank all of you for such a great welcome to the community.This is preciously why I'm in love with this forum,,it's more responsive than an iPhone's touch..!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th February 2014 at 00:21. Reason: only 2 smileys per post allowed, please read forum rules carefully before proceeding further. Thanks
vishesh vats is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 14:25   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfu67 View Post
I seem to get the voice command button on the steering to work. My phone (iPhone 4S) is paired via Bluetooth, contacts synced. However, when I press the voice command button, all it does is mute the audio. It can't be that voice command feature is removed in the India model, is it? I seem to recall reading a review that spoke about it. - I feel the accelerator needs to be pressed relatively deep in for the car to rev. Is this normal? Can't recall how it was on the test drive. Perhaps it is just a that I am used to a Honda, which took off when you barely brushed the pedal. Here, I feel I have to press it deeper in and there is a slight lag before it shoots ahead. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Hi and congratulations on the buy! The first issue is plain simple, there is no voice recognition in Indian Octavia range. So the voice button merely mutes audio. The second issue I feel is not that big. There is absolutely negligible lag in this engine. This particular delay only happens in D mode. Have you tried it in S? Even manual mode would be slow to response until you do a manual downshift. I think Sports mode will not disappoint
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 20:09   #681
BHPian

I have tried S-mode on my 1.8tsi a few times when in boy racer mood, trust me unless the road is clear anyone will have a tough time controlling the car with the crazy acceleration.. The car goes berserk.. As regards turbo lag in D-mode, it sure comes handy in stop-go traffic for a controlled drive & in reducing petrol consumption.. What I love in this car is that I can barely make out when the gears change, much better than accord V6 I compare it with..
saurabh sharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 01:12   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishesh vats View Post
Thanks for the direction to pages bro,went through the pics..they do look great. As we don't yet have the vRS option in India,i'm thinking of getting my alloy wheels upgraded to the premia black 16'',available as accessory on skoda india website,,presume they'll lend a meaner look to my octy.!? And your black "Darth Vader" was my initial choice too,but just the thought of driving along side auto and rikshaw-walas in delhi is gonna be real difficult to avoid scratches,I decided to go with the next best.. And i'd sure post some pics here once i get the car,so to at least share some of the fun of that sporty color with you. This is preciously why I'm in love with this forum,,it's more responsive than an iPhone's touch..!!
Go for the black alloys and black mirror covers, VRS badges from Superskoda.com, to complete the look. Of course we will never see the 2.0 litre 220 ps monster in India, it will be the same 1.8 with a body kit. Coincidentally I was in Bangalore today. I just saw a Blue Octavia for the very first time in flesh at the Vinayak cars showroom. Must tell you, I might be a little jealous when your car arrives wish they had launched it earlier.
Old 25th January 2014, 11:19   #683

Wow..thanks..
This makes me even more impatient for my prized possesion to arrive.
Oh..how i wish time machines were invented by now..!!
Old 29th January 2014, 14:13   #684

Quote:
Go for the black alloys and black mirror covers, VRS badges from Superskoda.com, to complete the look. Of course we will never see the 2.0 litre 220 ps monster in India, it will be the same 1.8 with a body kit. Coincidentally I was in Bangalore today. I just saw a Blue Octavia for the very first time in flesh at the Vinayak cars showroom. Must tell you, I might be a little jealous when your car arrives wish they had launched it earlier.
Hey,adi_petrolhead thanks for the link to superskoda.com.I visited the site,and am thinking of ordering a couple of things beforehand for my octavia.
But,is this even reliable? Do these people even deliver things to india & are things good quality? I'm thinkin of ordering the RS chrome exhaust tips.
Old 29th January 2014, 18:03   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishesh vats View Post
Hey,adi_petrolhead thanks for the link to superskoda.com.I visited the site,and am thinking of ordering a couple of things beforehand for my octavia.
But,is this even reliable? Do these people even deliver things to india & are things good quality? I'm thinkin of ordering the RS chrome exhaust tips.
Well, the owner of the site is quite friendly. Usually they have free shipping on a selected few items. They are reliable as payments are through PayPal. Bhp-ian Santoshbhatt has bought recently, LED DRL's for his Laura, VRS badges etc and got the delivery in about two weeks, so I am guessing its pretty OKAY for international shipping standards.

Secondly, unfortunately though, you cannot order the Chrome exhaust tips for the Octavia. Reason being, the exhaust pipe in all Octavia, is now bent downwards, making it impossible to fit exhaust tips. The VRS model has straight pipes and the tips can be easily fixed. Our Octy doesn't even have bumper cutouts to accommodate the chrome tips. The face-lifted Superb continues to have the same rear bumper et all, so they could be fixed with chrome exhaust tips.

I am planning to get few items too.
1) Brushed Metal finish ORVM covers (Audi RS5 type)
2) VRS front and rear emblems.

Total comes to about 100 Euros, thats INR 8600 and free shipping. Just waiting for the INR to get a bit more stronger, may be in the 75-79 bracket, then will buy these items.
Another item that I like and would definitely get it, hydraulic hood dampers. They look cool and are very convenient to hold the heavy hood. I hate the old 'stick' to hold up the bonnet, its an eye sore!

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 29th January 2014 at 18:06. Reason: missed to add a point
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 17:04   #686

Quote:
Aman, thank you for adding to the thread! Personal pictures speak more than a website image. It does look awesome! But let's not forget, the first page of this thread is full of Silver Color Octavia images Countache, you could see more detailed images on page 1 onwards. pls don't mind Aman. Really appreciate your addition! Keep rolling yet to hear a decent ownership review/thread on the TDI. What kind of Fuel Economy is it giving you as of now on the highways? My Laura used to return 25 kmpl when driven at sane speeds i.e. 85-90 kmh.
No prob adi! i added pics cos countache asked me. i flipped for the silver the moment i saw it. tried to convince myself otherwise, but eventually silver it was! Its driving pretty decent. A lot of fun to drive. Enjoying the exclusivity. Have covered about 3000+ kms now. Gotten used to the D mode, so it doesnt thrill so much. And CAN feel the lag sometimes. But S mode is awesome! Like someone said...straight clean road...and the car goes berserk!

I drive up and down from South delhi on NH8 till near the Manesar toll everyday (about 35 kms one way), so end up driving at a speed of 100+ most of the time i have a clear road. Its a brilliant car to overtake with, especially in S mode. I have had the car about 1.5 months now, and getting a total average over this period, of 16-16.5. Sometimes when i drive really 'sane', i get a day average of 20. But never seen it go above that. What reduces the average shown on the screen, is the idling of the turbo after starting and before shutting down (as instructed by the knowledgeable members of this forum). I ensure that i follow the idling rule. So that reduces the calculated average of the car. And the waiting time at traffic jams and the terribly planned Gurgaon toll affects it too. 25 kmpl is a wonderful average to get btw!
amanbatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 13:14   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Members, attached the Service and Maintenance Plans for the Octavia on their website.
The page Service and Maintenance Plans seems to have disappeared from the Skoda website.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:29   #688
Team-BHP Support

Octavia owners, any news on the extended warranty? Has it been announced?

Prospective Octavia owners who have placed the order, any improvement on waiting time? I booked my 1.8tsi in 3rd week of December, and still the expected delivery date is somewhere in March or April.
Old 4th February 2014, 00:08   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Octavia owners, any news on the extended warranty? Has it been announced?

Prospective Octavia owners who have placed the order, any improvement on waiting time? I booked my 1.8tsi in 3rd week of December, and still the expected delivery date is somewhere in March or April.
I visited the Showroom yesterday to enquire and have a first hand look at the octavia.

I met with the owner and senior sales manager of the showroom.

The expected time for the extended warranty is start of April and the waiting for the 1.8 AT Top variant is 6-8 weeks ( colour dependant ) blue and black are available for a End March - Start April delivery on booking this week.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 10:15   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

I visited the Showroom yesterday to enquire and have a first hand look at the octavia.

I met with the owner and senior sales manager of the showroom.

The expected time for the extended warranty is start of April and the waiting for the 1.8 AT Top variant is 6-8 weeks ( colour dependant ) blue and black are available for a End March - Start April delivery on booking this week.
Thank you for the update, Abhinav!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks