Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2014, 20:34   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishesh vats
Anybody here got the Race Blue color?? Would love to here about your experiences And obviously some photos too..
I just booked the Octavia in Race Blue. Usually I only buy white colour cars for ease of maintenance and better resale values. But this car would be my wife's primary drive (replacing the Polo) and she was smitten by the Race Blue Octavia in the showroom.
They had the Race Blue color car in the showroom which they could have given us, but I wanted the car in the next FY, so will probably take delivery from the next lot in April.
I booked the Ambition 2.0TDi CR AT model btw. The Elegance has a long waiting list, because of production constraints at the plant.

Last edited by mohandasnikhil : 27th February 2014 at 20:36.
Old 27th February 2014, 21:10   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I just booked the Octavia in Race Blue. Usually I only buy white colour cars for ease of maintenance and better resale values. But this car would be my wife's primary drive (replacing the Polo) and she was smitten by the Race Blue Octavia in the showroom.
They had the Race Blue color car in the showroom which they could have given us, but I wanted the car in the next FY, so will probably take delivery from the next lot in April.
I booked the Ambition 2.0TDi CR AT model btw. The Elegance has a long waiting list, because of production constraints at the plant.
Congratulations. Saw one race blue in showroom, it's a definite head turner.

Last edited by B747 : 27th February 2014 at 21:11.
Old 27th February 2014, 22:56   #738
BHPian

I have the race blue 1.8 TSI!

Got the delivery 1st week Feb from Giriraj motors Gurgaon.

The TSI is real fun to drive and I really liked the race blue color. Was thinking between the red and blue and then decided to go for the blue with full consensus of the family.

I Have not been able to click snaps so far, it's on my to do list and will share soon.

Regards,
Manu
manu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:05   #739

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hello Fellow BHPians

Need some help regarding choosing the New Octavia variant.

My dad booked a new Elegance Tdi A/T, but of late have been wondering exactly how much of a difference is there between the two suspension setups. I did test drove the diesel one but the petrol one wasn't available for a TD.
I currently drive a Laura, and am pretty much happy with the setup and its cornering ability at pretty good speeds. Its pretty comfortable as well. The main difference though is felt when the road is uneven at one side of the car i.e. one of the rear tires going over a pothole or a rock etc.
Now the dilemma is to go for petrol one with "better" or so called better setup, or with diesel one which has "not so good" (comparitively) setup. My inclination has started tilting towards petrol one as it has the same setup as that of my current Laura. But some issues with the owners of new Petrol Octavia A/T on the forum is making me think agagin and again.
Some points noting :
1. I need an A/T only.
2. The overall cost difference of petrol vs. diesel comes at break-even at about 4-5 years of ownership. (according to my yearly driving mileage and the other cost factors taken into considerations)
3. Difference in suspensions.
4. I need a the car planted at good speeds and while cornering, With a comfortable drive.
5. Known Issues with petrol's DSG.
6. Known Issues with petrol's Fuel Pump.
7. Quality of petrol available on the highways and in the city as well. (VAG's petrol engines are considered sensitive to fuel quality)
8. Diesels are known workhorse.
9. Petrols are silent.

Please help me choose.
Old 28th February 2014, 17:42   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG111 View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians

Please help me choose.
The different rear suspension set ups for the TDI and TSI is a real googly bowled by Skoda isn't it?

Surely the decision is based on stats from Europe and China and not India. Otherwise surely it would have been the other way round!

The Octavia 2.0 TDI is probably the most expensive sedan to be sold in India with a torsion beam rear suspension!!

Personally, after paying so much I will want the car to have a proper multilink rear suspension. Our Indian roads are far from perfect and a multilink set up does make a lot of difference when it comes to ride quality on bad roads. Since you own a Laura, the Octavia TDI will be a step down when it comes to ride quality.

I don't think cornering ability will be affected so much with torsion beam vis a vis a multi link rear. Its usually the ride quality that suffers.

My advise to you is to go for the Octavia 1.8 TSI if you are OK with petrol, else go for the Jetta TDI if you are keen on diesel. The updated Jetta is a now a good value proposition too.
Old 28th February 2014, 18:00   #741
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the torsion beam suspension is that bad when compared to the multilink setup. I just got back from a drive to Munnar. Handling is spot on and the ride is comfortable but I'm sure it is nowhere near as good as the TSI. On less than perfect roads it do get a little jumpy when you slow down. Also it definitely is noisier.

The reason I picked the TDI over the TSI :
  • 7 speed DSG worries.
  • Longer waiting period ( at least in Kerala)
  • Autocar report suggested that the torsion beam suspension offered a flatter ride on highways. (probably when the huge boot is at least half full)
  • Petrol fuel quality issues especially during my trips to Coorg.
  • Only Elegance 1.8 available in Kerala. So the Ambition DSG TDI is cheaper.
Here's some pictures :
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1dsc_0437.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1dsc_0441.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2dsc_0444.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3dsc_0447.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4dsc_0468.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5dsc_0470.jpg  

joethomasv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 22:08   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow BHPians

:
Have driven both TSI and TDI (I own Tdi) and the difference is not so much as people claim. Multilink is a bit soft and it's higher on ride comfort where as torson beam setup is bit stiff and hence it's more stable on high speeds during NH drives, but multilink will provide better stability in corners.

Also the difference is barely noticeable in front, so if it going to be a self driven car then you won't feel any difference, if it is going to be chauffeur driven and you at back seat then yes you can consider TSI for its better ride comfort.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st March 2014 at 02:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 07:08   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I don't think the torsion beam suspension is that bad when compared to the multilink setup. I just got back from a drive to Munnar. Handling is spot on and the ride is comfortable but I'm sure it is nowhere near as good as the TSI. On less than perfect roads it do get a little jumpy when you slow down. Also it definitely is noisier.
Here's some pictures :
During my drive to Kottayam via Kumily (for people who are not familiar with this route, it is full of winding roads) is where I truly understood the handling of this car. Steering is as precise as a Swiss watch and the car sticks to road like a leech even on high speed corners. It is extremely easy to drive and hence even after 650+ kms of driving I was not feeling tired.

Stunning pics, thanks for sharing.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 21:19   #744
Senior - BHPian

7500 kms completed on the TSI last week. Sent the car today for the first 'free' inspection. My observations below:

1. As usual, reached right on time at 9:45 am, as asked by the SA who booked my appointment.

2. My car was only attended at 10:15 am, right before their tea-time, which meant waiting for the Technical Supervisor to come on a trial with me, as I wanted to report a few rattles in the car.

3. Reported all the rattles and was able to practically make them listen to the rattles. They could only fix 2 out of 5 different rattles I reported, viz. glovebox, rear seat, passenger fromt seatbelt housing, sunroof beading and some weird noise when the car would go over a sharp speed breaker.
So they have taken care of the sunroof rattle, and the rear seat locks which were broken are now fixed. Still 3 irrotating noises remain, for which he told me to take ample time and come again, like I am free to send the car to the service centre again and again, I live 120 kms away from Ahmedabad which is the nearest dealer.

4. car was supposed to be 'top washes' only, meaning cleaning only with a high pressure water stream and wiping off with rags.

5. meanwhile the interior was dusty, lots of foot prints and mud on the carpets, in short it was fairly dirty inside and I just cleaned it myself to my satisfaction.

6. no mechanical issues with the car were reported which is a good thing. Oil levels are still up to the mark though I now keep a liter bottle as standby in the boot.

7. The black color means a lot of, and i mean A LOT of swirl marks all around the car. Will go to 3M tomorrow to get that sorted out.

8. I love how the car drives though i usually drive in manual mode on the highways amd boy oh boy is it fun!

9. I saw a test drive vehicle, Ambition trim, fitted with projectors. So good news for prospective buyers, now Skoda offers Projector setups in Ambition or Active trims. ( I dont know if the Active variant is delivered anywhere yet! Haven't seen one on the road as yet) including an LED DRL Strip which looks like the Audi Q5 set up, because it was covering all four sides of the headlight and not just the lower end like in the Elegance, sadly I did not have time to go and ask about the prices for these addons.

So, all of you who could check and verify prices of such add ons, pls add to my post. May be mods are aware?

Guys I am really sorry for not being able to put up an Ownership Review. I am just too busy and hardly at home since last two months. But for sure, i will start a thread soon.

adi_petrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 22:39   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
9. I saw a test drive vehicle, Ambition trim, fitted with projectors. So good news for prospective buyers, now Skoda offers Projector setups in Ambition or Active trims. ( I dont know if the Active variant is delivered anywhere yet! Haven't seen one on the road as yet) including an LED DRL Strip which looks like the Audi Q5 set up, because it was covering all four sides of the headlight and not just the lower end like in the Elegance, sadly I did not have time to go and ask about the prices for these addons.

Good to know about your your 7500kms update and service details, but at same time bit worried about rattling noise coming at such early stages.

Projector headlights, are they extra addons or now active and ambition comes with projector headlights?

Last edited by B747 : 1st March 2014 at 22:44.
Old 2nd March 2014, 01:40   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Good to know about your your 7500kms update and service details, but at same time bit worried about rattling noise coming at such early stages.

Projector headlights, are they extra addons or now active and ambition comes with projector headlights?
They are definitely add ons and not standard equipment. It could be dealer specific. Do not worry about rattles unless there is some problem where the service guys must open up your car's dash or glove box or the rear seats. In my case all the pieces were opened up at least once. Hence the re-fitment is not up to the mark.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:09   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747

The Projector Headlamp with LEDs were offered as an accessory to me by the dealer in Mumbai. They are not Skoda OE so not going to opt for them. I was quoted 37k for them.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:27   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow BHPians

My dad booked a new Elegance Tdi A/T, but of late have been wondering exactly how much of a difference is there between the two suspension setups. I did test drove the diesel one but the petrol one wasn't available for a TD.

Now the dilemma is to go for petrol one with "better" or so called better setup, or with diesel one which has "not so good" (comparitively) setup.
NG111, I was almost in the same boat as you some time back. I had booked the petrol Octavia and was okay with it. Rising fuel prices meant that the head said "switch to diesel", but the lack of a multilink suspension at the rear was a problem.

I went with the Jetta Highline DSG in the end. It should solve all your concerns and it's cheaper than the top end Octavia TDI Elegance DSG. I too felt "how much of a difference is there between a torsion beam and a multilink?" Believe me, it's a massively noticeable difference once you're behind the wheel.

Take a look at the Jetta Highline or consider the 1.8 TSI Elegance. The absence of a multilink suspension in the Octavia TDI makes taking a decision between the Jetta and the Octavia an interesting one.
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:07   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
NG111, I was almost in the same boat as you some time back. I had booked the petrol Octavia and was okay with it. Rising fuel prices meant that the head said "switch to diesel", but the lack of a multilink suspension at the rear was a problem.
From team-bhp review :- "Both suspension systems will do the job just fine and the regular buyer won’t realise what he’s missing out on. That said, when an enthusiast drives both configurations back to back, the difference is clearly felt, especially when pushing the car on imperfect roads. Drive the Octavia through fast corners and you realise which suspension works better. The torsion beam Octavias feel nervous & skittish at the rear on uneven tarmac. A mid-corner bump unsettles the rear, and it might step out when driven too hard. Sometimes, you get the feeling that the rear isn't tightly connected to the front."

This difference is noticeable only when you push the car hard,when these test drivers push the car to the limits it will be definitely noticeable in handling. I got a chance to drive friends 1.8(short drive in city) an the ride comfort difference is barely noticeable in front, where as in back it is better in 1.8.
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:35   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I got a chance to drive friends 1.8(short drive in city) an the ride comfort difference is barely noticeable in front, where as in back it is better in 1.8.
I had a test drive of the Octavia and Jetta on quick succession and for me, the Octavia's suspension felt noisier and less composed compared to the Jetta. I drove both over rough roads as well as smoother ones and surmised that opinion. Maybe it was all in my head, but that's the conclusion I arrived at.

I honestly can't comment on rear comfort as I sat in the Octavia's rear, but didn't do so with the Jetta, so my rear-seat opinion is half-baked.

Most Viewed