Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 21:13   #826
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
It may not be appropriate to comment on this on this thread, you can explore it here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

The 1.8 TSI will cost you about 22L in Delhi? If you spend another 4-5L you can probably get a 2012-13 328i in that money and there is no comparison between the two cars. Beemer is a BEEMER.
Thank you. I indeed have decided to get my booking money back and have spotted and blocked a F30 late 2012 320d for 25L.

Mod, please remove if this response is inappropriate here.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:24   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I had booked my 1.8 TSI in December 3rd week. They had given a lead time of 12 to 16 weeks.
I would request you to wait as it is just another few more weeks. No other car comes close to 1.8 in that price range, or if dealer can provide you TDI faster then you can consider that too, and only as a last option you need to look at other cars.
Vento & Linea, it is too much of a downgrade from Octavia, don't even think of it now.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 21:40   #828
BHPian

Quote:
I had booked my 1.8 TSI in December 3rd week. They had given a lead time of 12 to 16 weeks. So, I was expecting delivery at least by April. Just got a call from my SA in Coimbatore that it may be another 2 months before I may get the delivery. The reason is that only 8 to 10 petrol cars are allocated for the whole of India. This is totally frustrating. Looks like we petrol heads are a great minority in India

Now I am seriously considering canceling the booking and finding another petrol car. But the options are too limited. There is no other petrol car that can give the performance of 1.8TSI. Jetta 1.4TSI and Vento 1.2TSI are the only alternatives that I can think of. Thoughts?

Edit: Linea T-jet is another good option. But the interior space is a big let down there.
Considering performance instead of down grading I suggest you look a 2 year old BMW even a 320d will be better than a 1.8 tsi IMHO. And its for the same money. Think about it seriously, you will not regret it.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:03   #829
BHPian

Okay people, have finally jumped on the bandwagon. Booked my 1.8 TSi Elegance Magic Black on Sunday. But am not all that excited to be very honest because I was told to not expect the car before mid July. In fact, the day I went to make the booking, a 1.8 TSi Ambition was being delivered and this car had been booked in November. When I enquired about the reason for the delay in delivery of the cars I was told that it was because of the unavailability of the bi-xenon headlight units. So I asked the sales guy about the lead time for the 1.4 TSi and he gave me a sheepish look and said it would still take 3 - 4 months. Anyway, the point is, it's going to be a very long wait but then I have been waiting looking for the right car for 3 years now so another 3 - 4 months shouldn't matter, as long as they stick to their word.

Here's hoping for the best. The wait begins.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:31   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Okay people, have finally jumped on the bandwagon. Booked my 1.8 TSi Elegance Magic Black on Sunday. But am not all that excited to be very honest because I was told to not expect the car before mid July. In fact, the day I went to make the booking, a 1.8 TSi Ambition was being delivered and this car had been booked in November. When I enquired about the reason for the delay in delivery of the cars I was told that it was because of the unavailability of the bi-xenon headlight units. So I asked the sales guy about the lead time for the 1.4 TSi and he gave me a sheepish look and said it would still take 3 - 4 months. Anyway, the point is, it's going to be a very long wait but then I have been waiting looking for the right car for 3 years now so another 3 - 4 months shouldn't matter, as long as they stick to their word.

Here's hoping for the best. The wait begins.
Congrats on the same, 3-4 months is long but well worth the wait.
The Bi-Xenon story is made up though, the reason , though unknown , is something else

Quote:
I had booked my 1.8 TSI in December 3rd week. They had given a lead time of 12 to 16 weeks. So, I was expecting delivery at least by April. Just got a call from my SA in Coimbatore that it may be another 2 months before I may get the delivery. The reason is that only 8 to 10 petrol cars are allocated for the whole of India. This is totally frustrating. Looks like we petrol heads are a great minority in India

Now I am seriously considering canceling the booking and finding another petrol car. But the options are too limited. There is no other petrol car that can give the performance of 1.8TSI. Jetta 1.4TSI and Vento 1.2TSI are the only alternatives that I can think of. Thoughts?

Edit: Linea T-jet is another good option. But the interior space is a big let down there.
Having waited since December, it makes sense to wait a little bit more.
Ask your dealer for a reasonable delivery date and see if some other colour could be arranged quicker ( and you are OK with it)

Jetta , Vento and the T-Jet are no match to the Octavia, i would say give them a miss and stick to your purchase decision.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 22:54   #831
BHPian

Quote:

I guess we both are in the same boat. Even my booking was made sometime in December. They say that i might get it in April or May !

I've been searching for an alternative, but sadly there are none in this price range which would put a smile on my face everytime i drive it. Then i come across the new Superb 1.8 tsi dsg elegance ! This car just took me by surprise. Ive always thought it was more of a chauffeur driven car. But it drives really well, the suspension is just brilliant, handles beautifully for a car of this size, and its not that difficult to drive around even though its big. Those 3 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters are just right ! Sad that the octavia doesnt come with it. I don't even have to start talking about the comfort level. Those seats finished in nappa leather! sigh. i din't even want to get out of it. To top it off, the new head lamps and led tail lamps look gorgeous in person!

For 3 lakhs more than the Octavia 1.8 tsi elegance, i think its well worth it. A fast, comfortable, luxurious sedan which is fun to drive and comfortable to be chauffeur driven in. Coming to the negatives, the new superb based on the mqb platform will be out by 2016 whereas the Octavia will stay for a while. And sadly the engine is still in the 160 bhp tune (tho a simple remap can take care of that )

I have never driven the Octavia 1.8 tsi, only the diesel version. So i dont know what to expect. It might win me over

So im going to keep my fingers crossed and i'll roll the dice by the time they decide to deliver the Octavia.
Old 19th March 2014, 07:30   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I would request you to wait as it is just another few more weeks. No other car comes close to 1.8 in that price range, or if dealer can provide you TDI faster then you can consider that too, and only as a last option you need to look at other cars.
Vento & Linea, it is too much of a downgrade from Octavia, don't even think of it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Having waited since December, it makes sense to wait a little bit more.
Ask your dealer for a reasonable delivery date and see if some other colour could be arranged quicker ( and you are OK with it)
Jetta , Vento and the T-Jet are no match to the Octavia, i would say give them a miss and stick to your purchase decision.
Thank you friends, for the reinforcements. I guess it was just a moment of desparation I started considering Vento TSI and Linea. Now that I have had a good night's sleep, got my senses back. I have decided to persevere and try to talk with the dealer to get some assurance on delivery even if it is in May. In the possibility that the delivery goes beyond May, I may revisit my petrol vs. diesel decision and consider Jetta Highline DSG, but never think of a downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Considering performance instead of down grading I suggest you look a 2 year old BMW even a 320d will be better than a 1.8 tsi IMHO. And its for the same money. Think about it seriously, you will not regret it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Though this is very tempting, I am hesitant to go with a used car because of the hassles invovled (risk of badly handled car, maintenance issues etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_navin View Post
I guess we both are in the same boat. Even my booking was made sometime in December. They say that i might get it in April or May !

...For 3 lakhs more than the Octavia 1.8 tsi elegance, i think its well worth it. A fast, comfortable, luxurious sedan which is fun to drive and comfortable to be chauffeur driven in. Coming to the negatives, the new superb based on the mqb platform will be out by 2016 whereas the Octavia will stay for a while. And sadly the engine is still in the 160 bhp tune (tho a simple remap can take care of that )
Some time back, I was also considering if I should go for Superb (the pre facelift manual version) instead of Octavia. Details are in this thread. After considering all the feedback I received, I decided to stick with Octavia as Octavia would be more fun to drive than Superb and Superb would stretch my already stretched budget even further. The new facelifted Superb DSG is totally out of my budget!

Also, during my conversation with the SA, he mentioned that two of the customers who had booked Octavia have changed over to Superb because of the long waiting time - Superb has just 2 to 3 weeks waiting time. Maybe this is a ploy Skoda is using to lure Octavia customers to buy Superb.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:48   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you friends, for the reinforcements. I guess it was just a moment of desparation I started considering Vento TSI and Linea. Now that I have had a good night's sleep, got my senses back. I have decided to persevere and try to talk with the dealer to get some assurance on delivery even if it is in May. In the possibility that the delivery goes beyond May, I may revisit my petrol vs. diesel decision and consider Jetta Highline DSG, but never think of a downgrade.
When I had booked on the very first day, 9th September if I am not wrong, the dealer told me that I will get the first car from the first lot. One month down the line, I was given a date, 15th October, 2014. On 13th Oct, I was told I will get the car only in January!! I was so furious and upset that I called up the SA and told her to cancel and refund my booking and that I am not interested in this stupid game of waiting for a brand new car which was unreasonable, as I was the first one to actually book an Octavia at my dealer. After my call to the dealer, I had almost forgotten about the Octavia and was already asking quotations from VW for the new Jetta. Soon I got a call from the dealer that now there are two cars available and I must choose from them.

Its basically how the dealer perceives the buyer's decision to be. If they come to know that its urgent, and it could result in losing the sale and the buyer going for one of the competitors' model, they become active. This tactic is very cheap in my opinion.

So just tell them vaguely that you are looking at other options and if they do not give you the car in April, which is favourable because you will get full year depreciation next year, you will indeed cancel your booking and buy the Jetta. But in no way hint that you are interested in a Superb. All the best!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 11:26   #834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

Its basically how the dealer perceives the buyer's decision to be. If they come to know that its urgent, and it could result in losing the sale and the buyer going for one of the competitors' model, they become active. This tactic is very cheap in my opinion.

So just tell them vaguely that you are looking at other options and if they do not give you the car in April, which is favourable because you will get full year depreciation next year, you will indeed cancel your booking and buy the Jetta. But in no way hint that you are interested in a Superb. All the best!
Thanks Adi. I have already told the SA that I may start looking for other options. I have also made it very clear that I am not interested in upgrading to Superb. He has asked me for this week's time and he will come back next week with more details. But from his tone, I understand that he is also helpless as Skoda does not allocate cars for the dealership. For now, I have decided to wait for Octavia and see how things turn out.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:54   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
I am A+ and Always positive for blood donation. I am in Delhi.
Yeah out of the 10 odd vehicles allotted to all India dealers, the car will either come to you or some other anxious buyer I don't understand why they would not import more tsi kits when the demand is huge.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:07   #836
Senior - BHPian

The TSi is very much being allotted.

The last report from one of the dealers here shows that they have been allocated 5 TSis.

Considering this is just one dealer here, i am sure many more are being allotted to others ( unless this dealership has a very strong jugaad in the factory)
Old 19th March 2014, 12:08   #837
Senior - BHPian

adi @ Any news about extended warranty for Octavia?

VW has announced 41K plus Tax for Jetta, if availed within 365 days of ownership. This is for 2+2 years / 1L Kms, without any other riders (such as Insurance, Road side assistance, Drive assurance... etc).

How is this compared to the extended warranty from Skoda...? Your opinion please ...
Old 19th March 2014, 12:14   #838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The TSi is very much being allotted.

The last report from one of the dealers here shows that they have been allocated 5 TSis.

Considering this is just one dealer here, i am sure many more are being allotted to others ( unless this dealership has a very strong jugaad in the factory)
Maybe tier-1 cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai etc get more allocations compared to tier-2 cities. My SA told me that Coimbatore being tier-2 city gets less priority in allocation.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:19   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
adi @ Any news about extended warranty for Octavia?

VW has announced 41K plus Tax for Jetta, if availed within 365 days of ownership. This is for 2+2 years / 1L Kms, without any other riders (such as Insurance, Road side assistance, Drive assurance... etc).

How is this compared to the extended warranty from Skoda...? Your opinion please ...
None officially announced or available to avail as yet. The dealer here is saying atleast end of march if not before.

Can be purchased anytime before basic warranty expires which is 2 years.

Quote:
Maybe tier-1 cities like Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai etc get more allocations compared to tier-2 cities. My SA told me that Coimbatore being tier-2 city gets less priority in allocation.
That may be a point but still I feel that since the demand is there in tier-2 cities also these days, the allocation should be more.

In fact the production of this car should be enough to cater to Pan-India customers without having them wait for more than a month.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:47   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, you definitely are lucky, but atleast let us enjoy your luck with some pics and initial ownership details ( a new thread probably)
The only reason for the delay in the ownership details is the lack of pictures.
I have none from the showroom at the day of delivery since i was running late and just managed reaching the showroom five minutes later than their closing time and looking at the grumpy faces of the salesmen did not have the heart to delay further.
The car has been under wraps since then due to the holi festival and I have just returned from a short road trip so haven't really driven it since.
But all in all i'll post the one picture that i do have of when the car reached home and then start a ownership thread soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-photo-2.jpg  

Most Viewed